Looks like DF will be pitting wits against CH next year then.... bring it on! 

Reckon Brighton could be one in trouble next season. I thought that with Hughton in charge next season. Be interesting, but have a feeling they won't get the next one right for some reason!

On 27/04/2019 at 23:37, Surfer said:

Looks like DF will be pitting wits against CH next year then.... bring it on! 

Or not, as the case may be. Hughton sacked this morning.  I always had a lot of time for Hughton; a very decent bloke but unfortunately sets his teams up to not lose, rather than to win, which tends to make him unpopular with fans. I can't help thinking that this is a good thing for us in that Brighton are even more likely to be relegation fodder without him than with him.

The right decisions by Brighton. 

With Dan Ashworth as their Technical Director I think they will make a good decision on their next manager/head coach. Brighton have a very good back room team, but Hughton struggled to get the most out of good players.

Makes survival tougher for Norwich. 

Just now, hogesar said:

Reckon Brighton could be one in trouble next season. I thought that with Hughton in charge next season. Be interesting, but have a feeling they won't get the next one right for some reason!

I think they would have gone down with him next season to be honest. He's shown the same inability to get new attacking signings going with Brighton as he did with us. Feels a bit like he's incapable of getting out his own way and evolving his style.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sacked this morning. Limited manager with a limited shelf life.

Ha! I was about to post that Michael Bailey had probably given him the kiss of death this morning:

"We can say hello again to Chris Hughton."

Unless of course he gets another PL job, but more likely headed back to the Championship.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The right decisions by Brighton. 

With Dan Ashworth as their Technical Director I think they will make a good decision on their next manager/head coach. Brighton have a very good back room team, but Hughton struggled to get the most out of good players.

Makes survival tougher for Norwich. 

Depends on how quickly the new guy can implement his ideas. Graham Potter of Swansea has been mooted and, while they have played some nice stuff on occasion this season, it wouldn't be easy for him, or anyone else, to guarantee Brighton's survival in their first season in charge.

That all said, I would still have preferred to face Brighton with Hughton still in charge.

I reckon he'll get a call from the Binners by Christmas to dig them out of Lambert's failed PR stunt.

Assuming they've paid the phone bill of course...

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

Just now, Drazen Muzinic said:

I reckon he'll get a call from the Binners by Christmas to dig them out of Lambert's failed PR stunt.

Assuming they've paid the bill of course...

He's good enough to get a job at Championship level easily. 

I'd assume him to West Brom is nailed on if they don't go up.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

He's good enough to get a job at Championship level easily. 

I'd assume him to West Brom is nailed on if they don't go up.

Can see Pulis getting the boot at Boro and Hughton going there as well. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Depends on how quickly the new guy can implement his ideas. Graham Potter of Swansea has been mooted and, while they have played some nice stuff on occasion this season, it wouldn't be easy for him, or anyone else, to guarantee Brighton's survival in their first season in charge.

That all said, I would still have preferred to face Brighton with Hughton still in charge.

While no one could guarantee Brighton’s survival I think Potter would be a great appointment for them. The Brighton squad is largely built to play good football, just Hughton always regressed to his preferred defensive, passive style. Can see Potter doing well there, especially with Ashworth in support and a whole summer to shape the squad and coach the players. 

• Like 1

The lectures from outside have started in earnest, just like we were served up.

The consensus among a vocal selection of fans of other (or no?) clubs is always that X team (never their own) should at all times keep Chris Hughton in post, regardless of his performance, direction or outcomes, because X shouldn't really be in the Premier League in the first place, and has no right to try to improve for the future, plus did I mention he's an awfully polite chap on TV [not contested!].

Some of the typical know-nothing, patronising, illogical reader comments off the BBC sport article:

• CH good manager. Brighton were abysmal in 2nd half of season but they survived. Surely CH deserved to retain his job after all he is the manager that brought you into Premier League and kept you there.
  • Wrong decision. An FA cup semi and survival in the Premier League? The powers that be may regret that decision. Chris Hughton has always shown integrity, and his calm demeanour is what is needed under pressure.Sign a couple of decent attacking players and you will be competing. Back to square one now.
  • The club's primary aim at the beginning of the season would have been to stay in the PL - on paper they would have been one of the favourites to be relegated along with the promoted sides. Had a good first half of the season and a poor second half - had the results been more evenly spread through the season I doubt he would have been sacked. Hope they get relegated next year
  • I would have thought that keeping him, then giving him serious money to invest in players was the way forward. He's been very good at the club with little help re investment in new players, I've always thought he was very good coach. I hope, if he stays in football management, that he goes somewhere where he will be respected more.
  • Another football manager having to take the blame for the poor performance of the players he has to select from. Why don’t the owners of football clubs accept the fact if they provide their manger with second rate players they will get second rate results.
    It would be great to see the board take charge of the team after they have sacked the manager and show that they can do better.
  • Absolutely ridiculous decision ..... remember what happened to Charlton when curbs was sacked... dropped like a stone. Chris kept that up. Even though they list confidence towards the end he still did the job. Brighton be regulated next season as they have a bang average team.
  • It beats me how clubs that are in the Premiership feel that they have a right to stay there,one poor season and they panic, no team has a Gods given right to stay there just ask Pompy,Coventry & Ipswich.

A few voices in the wilderness seem to partly get it, presumably fellow yellows:

• I think Brighton have made the right decision. When he was manager at Norwich City he turned an exciting team into a tedious boring one that only seemed to play defensive football.
    It seems he has done the same at Brighton even though he managed to keep them up, just!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Can see Pulis getting the boot at Boro and Hughton going there as well. 

Surely if they get rid of Pulis they'll need to bring in someone who players attacking football to win back the fans?

For the record I actually supported Hughton's reign with us a lot longer than most, for better or worse. I'll readily admit I was charmed by his character which I have no reason to doubt is genuine. Was (am) also proud to have (had) a black/mixed race manager which was & still is a rarity.

I realised the game was up when it wasn't just the style of football that was bad, but also our results and our obvious trajectory towards the R-word. 'Dull but effective' is no longer the grudgingly accepted principle it once was, once it's been transformed into just 'dull'.

Edited by GenerationA47
reason & doubt

It’s interesting that ‘outsiders’ just don’t seem to get it - both for us and BHA in terms of Hughton and I suppose you could include the binners in there as well re: McCarthy....there’s more to it than it just being about staying up.

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No it isn’t - how is being only marginally better than an utterly dire Cardiff side ‘succeeding’?

And worse than you achieved last season despite heavy spending. Sounds familiar...

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s interesting that ‘outsiders’ just don’t seem to get it - both for us and BHA in terms of Hughton and I suppose you could include the binners in there as well re: McCarthy....there’s more to it than it just being about staying up.

In both cases results were getting worse. That is the trend that has got him the sack both times. Owners understanding that if they didn't act then the club was only going one way. With us  the fall-off in results actually started halfway through the season before (when although we finished a place higher than under Lambert we amassed three fewer points).

And as for Brighton, the trend is the same - 40 points and 15th last season became 36 points and 17th this. And they have a very ambitious owner who has put a fair bit of money into the club.

It's who's going to replace him, betting going

Graham Potter – 1/6

Mikel Arteta – 14/1

Roger Schmidt – 14/1

Antonio Conte – 16/1

Gary Rowett – 16/1

Phil Neville – 20/1

Alex Neil – 20/1

Arsene Wenger – 20/1

Claude Puel – 20/1

If Cardiff hadn't beaten United yesterday, it could have been a very poor season for the bottom clubs in terms of points. It may be that there are now five divisions within the Prem. And Brighton had dropped into the bottom group.

It is a big jump to the Prem and the fact that four English clubs have made it to the finals, then the need for a massive and talented squad has become more apparent.

I thought Hughton was a super person at Norwich and I guess he was equally so at Brighton. But whether his defensive leanings when threatened are a bit outdated and not fit for the Prem, then he is always going to be on a knife edge. And I'm not sure his tactics will necessarily get you promoted anymore.

When Hughton has managed in the Championship he has played very attacking football. I think both at Norwich and Brighton he made attempts to attack more, but lost his bottle both times and reverted to a deep line and low-block tactics. 

He’ll end up at a large Championship team, with a renewed promise to play attacking football, which he’ll do, until things get difficult and he reverts back to defensive. A lot of clubs could do a hell of a lot worse than him, but like Pulis, he’ll only ever take a team to just surviving in the Prem and not doing it prettily. 

Brighton and Ashworth are too forward thinking to have him hanging around too long and regressing then. Talk is they are planning to spend £40m - £50m on players this summer. It things click they could be challenging for 7th rather than fighting relegation (although this is true for basically any existing Premier League team beyond the top 6). 

13 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

It's who's going to replace him, betting going

Graham Potter – 1/6

Mikel Arteta – 14/1

Roger Schmidt – 14/1

Antonio Conte – 16/1

Gary Rowett – 16/1

Phil Neville – 20/1

Alex Neil – 20/1

Arsene Wenger – 20/1

Claude Puel – 20/1

Six to One ON for Graham Potter.

How on Earth has he got those odds unless someone knows something!

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When Hughton has managed in the Championship he has played very attacking football. I think both at Norwich and Brighton he made attempts to attack more, but lost his bottle both times and reverted to a deep line and low-block tactics. 

I never saw much of his Birmingham team but his Newcastle team seemed to be based on a fairly simple formula- Barton positioned out wide, crosses coming in for Andy Carroll with Kevin Nolan picking up whatever dropped from the edge of the box.

I'm gonna put it out there and say Brighton won't finish top 7 next season.

Especially if they go for Graham Potter who, whilst likes to play football, has hardly done enough at Swansea to warrant a Prem job. Think they will be in trouble next season personally.

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He’ll end up at a large Championship team, with a renewed promise to play attacking football, which he’ll do, until things get difficult and he reverts back to defensive. A lot of clubs could do a hell of a lot worse than him, but like Pulis, he’ll only ever take a team to just surviving in the Prem and not doing it prettily. 

Brighton and Ashworth are too forward thinking to have him hanging around too long and regressing then. Talk is they are planning to spend £40m - £50m on players this summer. It things click they could be challenging for 7th rather than fighting relegation (although this is true for basically any existing Premier League team beyond the top 6). 

Brighton spent over £50 million in the 17/18 season and over £60 million in 18/19-obviously Ashworth wasn't there at that time but their scouting network needs to improve vastly on their recent purchases.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I'm gonna put it out there and say Brighton won't finish top 7 next season.

Especially if they go for Graham Potter who, whilst likes to play football, has hardly done enough at Swansea to warrant a Prem job. Think they will be in trouble next season personally.

Considering what Potter has had to deal with at Swansea, I’d say he is one of the best managers from this season in the Championship. 

His owners sold pretty much everyone out from underneath him with no real replacements. The improvement he has got out of players like Dan James and Matt Grimes is phenomenal. 

He looks like he might pretty much the best English manager around at the moment. Which is why Ashworth will be very keen on him. 

They went from this at the end of 2018

image.png.8cf8522be5cfd0090719748de522c37b.png

to this at the end of the season

image.png.85538762ea7d4e10e1bee8bcb287ee66.png

11 points from their last 18 matches is relegation form. Including a six game streak where they failed to score (losing 5-0 to Bournemouth and 2-0 to Cardiff)

8 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Brighton spent over £50 million in the 17/18 season and over £60 million in 18/19-obviously Ashworth wasn't there at that time but their scouting network needs to improve vastly on their recent purchases.

Worth wondering though if players like Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locardia may improve under a manager who doesn't stick 11 men behind the ball.