Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Swansea*****

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

The type of performance championship winning teams make! 

Thanks Yoda😀

Good, important win. And another brilliant goal to boot.

2 minutes ago, Orly said:

These are the performances that win you promotion.  Doesn't hurt that we've got our own version of Maradona, either.

Think you might be pushing it a little with that comparison!!! There will only EVER  be 1 Maradona!! The best footballer EVER!!

• Haha 1

As earlier, the win was more important than anything else. A stalemate game decided by a bit of class and it matters not at the moment that it won't go down as one to remember. Hopefully no-one got injured and we pick from virtually a full squad.

Agree that McLean didn't look at his best and maybe Vrancic/Leitner need to come in. I'm sure McLean was seen as Wes replacement and is playing a bit deeper than he might want.

The Guinness we taste all the better tomorrow afternoon. Thank you all at NCFC for making my weekend yet again.

Think you might be pushing it a little with that comparison!!! There will only EVER  be 1 Maradona!! The best footballer EVER!!

Shall we review that with VAR?

Best part of the match was a few minutes after his goal, Buendia tackling James down near our corner flag and playing a 30 yard pass up to Pukki's feet

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Shall we review that with VAR?

If Shilton at 6 feet with an out stretched arm advantage, can't out jump a man of 5 and a half feet using his head, there is no hope 😂😂😂 I'm guessing that's what your referring to?? 

Pitch was really heavy tonight, you could see water spray when the ball was passed along the ground, never going see dazzling footy in those conditions. Nothing between the teams for me, apart from a goal😀 Really now feeling it’s our season. What an atmosphere at the end, loving Farke on the pitch OTBC👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Championship's are won by grinding a few out, there's been a fair few that have come down to the last minute, we've been fortunate that, Derby and maybe Blades away apart they've gone our way. This game will soon be forgotten, at the end of the season it'll be just another 3 points towards our total. Now we can enjoy our weekend, let others worry about keeping up, a day off then focus on getting a result against Hull.

• Like 1

Grinding out a 1-0 when you haven't played that well is very pleasing indeed. Results are everyting from this point on. 

Hard work tonight but at this stage 3 points are the only thing that matters. We had one moment of class and that was enough to win it. I'd call that an industrial performance. Getting tight now but we're in the best position, 10 games to go!

Was just looking back - Called it to some mates on November 3rd we were going up and November 10th that we'd do it as Champions. Call me Nostradamus.

On 10/11/2018 at 17:07, kick it off said:

Wow. What a f***ing game.

This team is just unstoppable. So much fight and heart.

We're going up. No doubt about it.

On 24/11/2018 at 20:59, kick it off said:

Yep. Felt it in my gut that we were going up a little while back after Sheff Weds. Millwall game was when it turned into we're going to win the title.

Couple of mates from uni are in a group chat - one is WBA and the other is Villa. They were taking the **** because I said we'd win the league after Millwall. They're dead wrong. Seen us yoyo enough times to know when we're going up and this is one of our years.

What stuns me isn't the fact we're top - I said after Birmingham on opening day that there was a top side in there somewhere, but the manner in which we're doing it is almost unprecedented. Very few teams turn up and demolish teams home and and away, week in, week out like we have for the past few months. Not in this league. Newcastle under Hughton maybe? The Sunderland side who went up with about 115 points.... aside from that, it's difficult to compare us to anyone. This team is of that calibre. Now we have started converting our chances too, I don't see anybody stopping us.

Edited by kick it off

30 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

Maybe, but you probably think Lambert is the best manager ever. 😂

Edited by Nuff Said

18 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

If Shilton at 6 feet with an out stretched arm advantage, can't out jump a man of 5 and a half feet using his head, there is no hope 😂😂😂 I'm guessing that's what your referring to?? 

Yes, Maradona's hand ball.

Maradona_Hand.jpg

Not great to be honest tonight with several players below par but the win was all important and was hard fought.

Several players off their games and will play better than that on Wednesday but I do hope tonight’s performance brings an end to the current approach of not playing our best central midfielders. There was no easy outball at times for defenders who were being pressed and the passing was a little slow. Leitner or Vrancic need to come back in.

A frustrating night but credit should go to Swansea, their game plan was superb and worked well on the night, they out Norwiched Norwich ! At times we were chasing shadows in the first half as they stuck to their tactic of playing out of defence. Despite the stats showing they were superior in all departments what it didn't show is that they did not create any really clear cut chances to score unlike us when Pukki shaould have hit the target and when Onel rolled it across the six yard box. Also the two experienced wingers for Swansea kept Jamal and Max honest. We changed it a bit and stepped up the intensity or did Swansea tire? Easy to see why their coach is so well rated on last nights performance, they just lacked punch up front, probably a bonus that their centre forward was ill. On the ball city!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

A stalemate game decided by a bit of class and it matters not at the moment that it won't go down as one to remember. 

So, a clean sheet preserved for over 90 minutes against a team described by DF as "by far the the best we have played in recent months" won't "go down as one to remember"? Well, it certainly should go down as one to remember, since it showed how much progress we have made since DF first started honing our ability to keep the back door shut when the game requires it. IMO it was a game to etch in the memory, as will likely become more and more evident next season.

You can look at the game in many ways, for instance was it our class defending or the lack of cutting edge they had which of course could be due to our closing down? Whichever a good performance against an impressive Swansea. They were a bit like us last season, lots of ball retention without looking a massive threat up front, resorting to hopeful shots from distance mostly.

10 hours ago, Herman said:

Shut up Jubwick and watch the new master Argentinian at work.

I'd take him to the Copa in the summer, bit of an unknown force on the international circuit!! 

28 minutes ago, Red Rufus said:

You can look at the game in many ways, for instance was it our class defending or the lack of cutting edge they had which of course could be due to our closing down? Whichever a good performance against an impressive Swansea. They were a bit like us last season, lots of ball retention without looking a massive threat up front, resorting to hopeful shots from distance mostly.

Swansea had 8 corners and several free kicks in advanced positions, all bar one of which (v.d.Hoorn's header) we defended well. Yes, Swansea are solidly mid-table as far as goals scored, but we have conceded plenty of goals against such teams both last season and this (this season, for example, 4 in 2 against Bristol City, 5 in 2 against Derby, 4 in 2 against Forest, all of whose GF totals are similar to the Swans). Swansea forced us onto the back foot for much of the game, but were kept resolutely at bay.

On 09/03/2019 at 08:59, JUBWICKS75 said:

look at the height of the man tremendous 😁

The thing that strikes me most about that photo (apart from the obvious proof of what a cheating b*stard Maradona was) is what a great view the ref must have had - I can't remember where the ref was standing now but wherever it was he surely must have had a clear view of the ball being punched in. Very bad day, not just for England, but for football generally  - when you see the continuous cheating in modern football you could say say the game has never really recovered.

Also the obvious point that for whatever reason (...), Shilton did not suspect that Maradona might behave like a despicable cheat and punch the ball into the net whilst leaping. If volleyball moves were actually allowed in the game, do we not think that Shilton would have made sure he jumped higher himself to allow for that. Not really sure why i'm having to point this out!