Sign in to follow this  
Hoola Han Solo

The sorry (funny) plight of Ipswich Town

I LOVE THIS LINE :-The longest-serving Championship club – this is their 14th consecutive season in the second tier – always presumed that they would leave this division by the grand front entrance. Instead they will slip through the trapdoor.

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:
I LOVE THIS LINE :-The longest-serving Championship club – this is their 14th consecutive season in the second tier – always presumed that they would leave this division by the grand front entrance. Instead they will slip through the trapdoor.

You may like it Swindon, but it's factually inaccurate!

Town are currently playing their 17th consecutive season in the second tier. You'd think that someone who was writing an article for a national football magazine/website might actually bother to check their facts. Shoddy!

I love the quote that when they got rid of McCarthy, they were "entering a new era..."  Certainly got that right.

Also this idea that deploying sports science is a magic wand that can give you success, like no one else is trying it.

You'd be mad to consider buying the club when the cost after relegation is going to be much less.

In some ways I think it might be better for them to just escape relegation and continue as they are.  The drop to L1 can actually trigger the needed changes as we found out.  But either way it's so funny to watch.

I like the use of the words Dross and Mire,  although mild in the circumstances. Well worth a read👍

"Hurst was permitted to sign seven players on permanent deals from lower-league clubs, including two from former side Shrewsbury. Only one of those seven players started Ipswich’s last Championship game. Allowing a new manager to control transfer activity is a foolish risk for any club, given the typical shelf-life of a Football League boss. One individual hands out lengthy contracts to those who are likely to comfortably outlast him. Hurst created an unbalanced squad that Lambert has inherited."

And now Lambert is bringing in half a dozen other 'newbies', although admittedly on short-term deals for the most part. So come the end of the season, if Lambert leaves the new guy will be left with Hurst's dross... although if Lambert stays, you'd expect some upward trajectory next season regardless of what division they're in.

Best-case scenario is that Lambert spunks a load more of ME's cash, takes them down and then jumps ship, leaving a new stooge to fashion a workable squad from the disillusioned remnants of both Lambert's and Hurst's reigns. Maybe we could pinch Lankester off them too... 😝

Just don't care about them... someone has to be relegated. They must be odds on. Just interested in us. 

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Best-case scenario is that Lambert spunks a load more of ME's cash,

eh ?

What cash ?

" Hurst, 44, says he always knew it was a tough job to make Town competitive in the Championship given the budget he was working with. "

"....... then we lost Martyn Waghorn and Joe Garner. Both wanted to leave and that left a huge void which had to be filled within the wage structure which was difficult. "

Those two quotes from Hurst back what previous managers have said about lack of funding, and the transfer fees quoted not being related to the actual fees.

Former MD Milne stated that incoming money from transfer fees was moved out of the club to a fund to be drawn upon by others in that group on the (somewhat bizarre) notion that it would attract a better rate of interest !

The paupers plight is solely down to Evans having bled to club dry. That is why so many washed up has beens have passed through the door to act as a cheap patch over a flimsy squad.

Whoever Lambert brings in I expect will be funded by departures NOT Evans cash.

21 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I'm with ICF, much rather they fester at the bottom of the Championship than go down and bounce back reinvigorated. 

I still think they'll get out of it. I just hope they don't win at our place on their way.

Had a feeling they'd win today (but then I thought they would beat Millwall in the last game too)....at least Reading won

....2 away games at blackburn and villa next for the filth should put that gap to safety back into double figures.

Rotherham are a concern though , poor result today and dont win enough games....i'll go them , bolton and the filfh for the drop

According to Sky Sports, the filth mustered three shots in the entire match, to Rotherham's 18. They're not going to win many matches with stats like that.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

According to Sky Sports, the filth mustered three shots in the entire match, to Rotherham's 18. They're not going to win many matches with stats like that.

...love this, it's the hope that kills.

I'm just surprised that Lambert hasn't yet jumped ship. I guess he's hoping that he can bring in some quality this transfer window. If, as is the case with Pilkington, he fails to get his targets i think he will jump. We will know by the end of the month.

6 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I'm just surprised that Lambert hasn't yet jumped ship. I guess he's hoping that he can bring in some quality this transfer window. If, as is the case with Pilkington, he fails to get his targets i think he will jump. We will know by the end of the month.

Signed four, he’s going nowhere 

They're having a vote, who's the best centre back in World football?

Sergio Ramos 

James Collins 

Virgil Van Dijk 

Diego Godin 

... after winning one game......against, Rotherham. 

Lambert isn't going to jump ship. Why would he? He is in a no lose situation. The Football Gods have smiled on him, and he has taken full advantage. Lambert has played a blinder so far. First he ingratiates himself with the fans , then he praises the players who despite any stats to the contrary were playing so much better for Lambert than they were under Hurst. Don't forget folks that at this stage they only need a "bit of help" in the window.

Lamberts position then changes subtly after the Millwall and QPR games ,as the window opens. Now the Club needs 5-6 players in virtually all positions, placing the emphasis firmly on Mucus. It was a scandal apparently that a big club like Ipswich were in this mess. I can't remember exactly the phrase but it was all the fault of what had gone before.

And so the man who has had no success in his last four jobs has landed firmly on his feet, operating a blame culture to a willing, desperate , adoring public. It's child's play. Lambert must be pinching himself , this is beyond his expectations. When he beats Rotherham he can point to the genius signings that are down to him , and when ITFC lose , well its nothing to do with me Guv.   

Actually I think Lambert will do a job there. Desperation has loosened the purse strings a little . The lads he has got in on loan will all be on more than the incumbent players, plus a few bonuses to keep them up. Collins  , if they can keep him fit , will be plenty good enough for the lower reaches of the Championship. That said if ITFC go down however the longevity of the signings is open to question. By definition they will have failed and may not want to play in the third tier, leaving the players that PL has alienated on longer contracts. At this point he may well walk.

I'd put 50p on them staying up. Its about 6/1 at the moment.

Any talk of losening the purse strings should be set against the tally of coming and goings by the end of Jan. I cannot see those who have come in so far will have cost a great deal given they are mostly unwanted at their home club.

he paupers like to delude themselves that their current plight is down to Paul Hurst's time there. Rather like a drunk blaming his 14th pint for him falling over.They have been on the slide for years as Evans has quietly siphoned off money, leaving the paupers with a thread bare squad that would not fetch thru'pence h'apenny on the open market.

As to who they will have player wise if they are relegated then it should be borne in mind that 14 (inc 5 loanees) who were at the club in Jan 1st are out of contract in June. They will lose around £7m in TV money, which will be a huge hit on a £17m income. And with no players to sell they will struggle, badly.

The loss in income presumes that their gates do not drop, season ticket sales do not drop nor do advertising/ sponsorship and hospitality income fall either.

With no cup game revenue and falling attendances this season the money they will have as also been reduced.

Perhaps we should have a blanket collection for them on Feb 10th. I'm sure City fans will donate generously🤣

Someone like Bin-man and Robbin' (other folk)

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

Only a super hero like Spider-Man can save Ipswich now 

And you think I follow you around ? 

Looking back relegation to Div One was the best thing for us at that time.

It May well be the same for Ipswich.

Lambert took over, and football under him became enjoyable to watch regardless of what division we we in.

How they must regret getting rid of big Mick. Never in danger under him, and reached the plays offs. Moral : be careful what you wish for.

One thing is certain, when we were in Div one the attendances remain sold out here, clearly their poor attendances will be even worse on their relegation.

If he saves them from the drop, he will have pulled off a miracle, so down they were when he arrived. Can he do it?  Possibly, but there will have to be three worse teams than them - and that looks pretty doubtful.

12 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

Only he can save them now 

1E27EB75-6F21-4E99-9BE7-C2BB1CCF6865.jpeg

did you find that photo on the web ?

On 11/01/2019 at 19:03, Feedthewolf said:

And now Lambert is bringing in half a dozen other 'newbies', although admittedly on short-term deals for the most part. So come the end of the season, if Lambert leaves the new guy will be left with Hurst's dross... although if Lambert stays, you'd expect some upward trajectory next season regardless of what division they're in.

Yep- which is why the system we have in place is absolutely crucial.