Sign in to follow this  
Bill

So what's changed

We are now getting the type of football Farke talked about when he first joined.

The tippy tap has been replaced by a far more expansive style, with us taking the game to the opposition rather than simply trying to thwart them.

My thought is that just as Farke and others have been fairly spot on as to when a player is ready to step up, so they were pretty much aware that as a whole the squad was not up to this level of play before. So we had tat rather negative tippity tap. Which may have meant we didn't win, but we avoied relegation and so lived to fight another season.

Tettey has been a revelation, as has Teemu. But it has been the general all round improvement of the players that to me has been the marked difference. That has been coupled with a great deal of self believe. "We are a goal down, we just missed another penalty. Ok, we go again. We can win this".

The latter will be what pushes s on.  And is what Farke/Webber have targeted in their recruitment.

• Like 2

Could it be something to do with our foreign imports taking a season to get up to speed with living in another country, getting used to the step up in intensity of the football. The fitness and style required is different. Also,  our UK  based players taking time to take on the different requirements of possession based football rather than if in doubt hoof it? I think Farke has realised the football needed to be played at a faster pace plus we are mixing it up with a few long balls. Finally, finding and playing two fantastic full backs.

There are probably many more reasons that I have excluded but certainly from the beginning of the season results didn't reflect how well we were playing, OTBC

does the above make me a happy clapper 😁

• Like 4

Additionally I would say the improvement in general team play has more than offset the loss of Maddison and Murphy. Collectively we look far more threatening, are working harder and sustaining that over 90 mins. 

Our back 4 looks very solid, the fullbacks a revelation and without naming names better without certain players in it.

• Like 1

Spot on, pants. We are a lot more balanced as a squad, we also have a lot more depth with options off the bench. Add to that a seasons experience for the foreigners and improvements coupled with the emergence of done talented hungry youngsters. 

Last season's main issue was lack of goals, this season we've got a number of players who have the ability

Nothing has changed. Webber said when Farke was appointed that it would take a minimum of three transfer windows before things really started to fall into place. All that's happened is that those of us who counselled belief and patience have been vindicated, and the impatient reactionaries, unable to recognise progress taking place in front of their own, supposedly infallible, eyes, have been shown up for what they are. That of course leaves the WUMs and advocates of regime change for whom the only thing left at the moment is intermittent sniping. 

• Like 2

Aarons coming in for Pinto has made a big difference defensively I think.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Nothing has changed. Webber said when Farke was appointed that it would take a minimum of three transfer windows before things really started to fall into place. All that's happened is that those of us who counselled belief and patience have been vindicated, and the impatient reactionaries, unable to recognise progress taking place in front of their own, supposedly infallible, eyes, have been shown up for what they are. That of course leaves the WUMs and advocates of regime change for whom the only thing left at the moment is intermittent sniping. 

This was my pre-season comment on The Guardian's Championship preview:

A long way away from mega-rich owners with a risk-taking corporate background, I would keep an eye on Norwich City, who did the opposite to Villa by making the tough but correct decision to start early enough on cutting back their wage bill and their transfer spending to cope with the loss of parachute payments. With the sale of Maddison and Josh Murphy the club should now be on an even financial keel. And after a first season of transition and getting used to English football, sporting director Stuart Webber (ex-Huddersfield Town German revolution) and coach Daniel Farke have had the chance this summer to get the kind of younger and hungrier (?) squad they want.

The unexpected (certainly to me) emergence of Aarons and Cantwell has helped. Their form might dip, of course, and  other clubs may be able to spend money we do not have in January, so I do not at all assume will stay in the automatic places. But the play-offs at least look a realistic aim.

• Like 1

@PurpleCanary

Seems that distance doesn't only lend enchantment but also sharpens the eyes and mind Purple. Maybe those who keep telling us "plastics" to shut up because we weren't at the match and are therefore not entitled to comment should take note ....... (some hope).

It was clear to me from the first home game that this season had promise, no-one can predict with confidence where we will end up at the end of the season, but the manner of play will lend big pointers. Last season to me seemed to be the the Madison shop window season, so much of the good play was instigated by him, and went through him. We all knew he would go in the summer, and we got a great fee for him. Job done. Getting 10M+ for Josh was unexpected in my opinion, and Hernandez looks better anyway, much more assured and decisive and willing to track back (not seen Onel with his hands on his hips).

Farke is no mug, he has the ability to fix bad stuff that is in his sphere of influence, but like all managers/coaches, he cannot produce miracles, if the opposition are just plain better either on the day or in general then the result is likely to get away from us, but you can see from the football we play that he (Farke), and the players are doing their utmost and working to a plan, playing entertaining and effective football.

We destroyed Sheffield  Wednesday in the second half, and that I am really happy about, bring on Millwall and let's hope we pick up where we left off yesterday.

So, What's changed? Not so much, just evolution from the squad and Farke, and in the right direction.

• Like 2

It's obviously been a period of transition for the club in both style and personnel, but it's not just the players who have had to learn and adapt. It would be tempting to suggest that this is how Farke wanted us to play all along, but I think he has learned a great deal from our difficulties last season and changed his tactical approach accordingly. The changes are subtle in some ways, but highly significant in terms of the results you see on the pitch.

The first difference is that we have stopped conceding so many goals, and this is largely due to having wide attackers who actually track back coupled with an extra defensive midfielder operating as cover when the former can't do so. However, this does not mean we are playing more defensively per se... 

The second thing we have changed is that we now transition much faster from defense to attack. The quality of passing and the confidence of the players receiving and moving the ball under pressure (and higher up the pitch) has been steadily improving. Where we were previously more conservative and predictable, often passing sideways and back for fear of giving the ball away, now we are more dynamic and incisive in our passing. We hit long diagonals into the channels and occasional long punts over the top as well as intricate triangles and one-twos etc. We still like to retain the ball, but now we look to use it when the opportunity arises. Krul's distribution is also a massive factor in this.

Thirdly the movement in midfield and attack has massively improved and we now have the ability to break teams down. Look at our goal against Bournemouth for a perfect example of unlocking a team who are defensively set and defending a lead. You just didn't see those kind of passes or runs from our team before. The players are working more as a unit and everyone seems to know their role.

Obviously there are new players who are playing well so, possibly, they are simply better than those they have replaced. But, Klose, Zimmerman, Leitner and Tettey are providing a very solid core for the rest of the team to work around. It does help, however, that we now have a striker or two who can actually find the back of the net.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

@PurpleCanary

Seems that distance doesn't only lend enchantment but also sharpens the eyes and mind Purple. Maybe those who keep telling us "plastics" to shut up because we weren't at the match and are therefore not entitled to comment should take note ....... (some hope).

My Guardian views were condemned by one poster here as yet another example of my supposed pro-Delia apologist blind faith. Seems instead they may have had a bit of cold-eyed unbiased logic to them...

I would add a specific point on Farke learning about English football. This time last year we played pretty much a full-strength team against Arsenal in the League Cup, and that undoubtedly was a factor in the poor run of results that immediately followed.

This time, in a game where our usual starting line-up could easily have won, he resisted that temptation and in essence played a second-string eleven. Cue away win this weekend.

2 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Exactly this, nothing has changed - the transition has continued to plan or perhaps even ahead of plan.

Have to say it was an absolute joy to be at Hillsborough yesterday, which has been the scene of many miserable afternoons for us - but yesterday we passed and moved as well as I've ever seen from a Norwich side.

Absolutely brilliant, but something that has been coming ever since Farke took over - if only people would actually watch the games instead of judging purely on results, and short term results at that.

• Like 1

Fully agree, something changed.  Personally I think it was the mindset of our manager, as we’ve gone from dire to dynamic in a relatively very short space of time.  Why this change came about perhaps we will never know, it could be one of many reasons from; it was always the long term plan to change our style/tactics 5 or 6 league games into this his second season, and/or, he had to wait until he had the right players on board, and/or, there was a players’ revolt, and/or there were instructions from above to be more attacking/entertaining, and/or he was threatened with his job, and/or the fans’ unrest had to be addressed, etc. etc.

Whilst I have criticised some of our play and approach to it from our manager, I really do hope the catalyst for the change was his long term plan and he had me fooled all along but either way, whatever the reason he obviously always had the ability to manage ‘dynamically’, so kudos to him for that.

I know yesterday wasn’t the 5th Nov but given there were a myriad of bonfire parties perhaps we should re-name the festival; Guy Farkes Night.

Well done Mr Farke, Mr Webber and all involved, for the first time in a while I am being entertained and being so royally – thank you.

Nothing changed in the system or style of play. Its just being implemented better for the obvious reasons that players are adapting and being coached. That was pretty obvious last season let alone this. Well it was to some, anyway.

Also worth noting the transfer work we have done has helped. From when we started under Farke and Webber, they've gradually moulded the squad to be able to play Farkes style. Maybe the impatient ones will start to show a bit more patience or maybe simply watch without closed eyes.

In the early part of this season the only real notable difference in playing style was we showed a bit more flexibility in playing longer balls but in our current form we've generally been so good on the ball with purpose and movement that we've rarely had to mix it up. Yes we moved it quicker this season but thats a basic subset of players being coached and adapting to the style as opposed to a change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Additionally I would say the improvement in general team play has more than offset the loss of Maddison and Murphy. Collectively we look far more threatening, are working harder and sustaining that over 90 mins. 

Our back 4 looks very solid, the fullbacks a revelation and without naming names better without certain players in it.

Could it also be that we're more of a team than individuals?

• Like 1

I would say there is no one thing that has changed, but its clear to see that in personnel we have a much higher aptitude for the overarching style Webber wants than last season. 

I would always say there has been elements of 'luck' in a sense of the word.  For example, it would have been a brave City fan to suggest our strongest back 4 didn't include Hanley ahead of this season.

Let us, not forget the first half at Hillsborough yesterday, it was the same as last season, plenty of passing but no chances and dodgy 50/50 passes across the back four ! Thank you for the BIG improvement in the second half !  

What’s changed is young, hungry and a point to prove players instead of journeymen not interested and undermining Farkes coaching style.

No coincidence that since all the old guard have been removed there’s been a considerable upturn in form.

Hate to give Webber credit, but he’s proving his worth and done a decent job. Well done Webber and the board to make the change in style to this structure.

3 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Let us, not forget the first half at Hillsborough yesterday, it was the same as last season, plenty of passing but no chances and dodgy 50/50 passes across the back four ! Thank you for the BIG improvement in the second half !  

You mean we didnt destroy a team for a whole 90 minutes? Boooo Farke out!

34 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I know our record with them recently is lamentable but even so I still reckon a penalty in the first five minutes counts as a chance!!!

• Haha 1

So much has changed, sometimes in small ways, but most of the changes have made us better.

The form and fitness of Lewis and Aarons have made us much less open to the swift counter attack. There was a time when we'd have a corner and Tettey would be the only man back, and that was in the Prem., while now, from what I've seen, it is Jamal and /or Max as cover.

Something has changed such that Tettey has only picked up 2 yellows so far this season, which suggests that he is having to "take one for the team" much less ( while Max being on 4 yellows suggests he has that role now). A couple of times, in highlights, I've noticed Tettey acting as right-back, but I'm not sure what this means, although I doubt it means that Max is trotting back from up-field. 

O/T it was fun to watch goals being scored against Swansea last season from attacks down their left flank, with their left-back stuck around the halfway line.

To say that nothing has changed is being disingenuous to Farke, the coaching staff and the players. Far too early to start being smug just yet.

33 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

To say that nothing has changed is being disingenuous to Farke, the coaching staff and the players

Exactly this

What has changed is that we are emerging(not there yet) from the much derided transition instigated by the much derided cook and her cohorts😉

Long may it continue.

OTBC💛💚

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Could it also be that we're more of a team than individuals?

I would agree that we are more of a team. But better than  that we look a team that is more than the sum of its parts. Something that in my view we have not been since the Lambert years. So big compliments to Daniel F for that, and I admit I was having major doubts about him in August.

Bringing in young and hungry players I believe has been a major contribution to this, and in particular the contributions of Aarons and Lewis who have brought quality to what have been positions of weakness for us.

OTBC

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What has changed is that we are emerging(not there yet) from the much derided transition instigated by the much derided cook and her cohorts😉

Long may it continue.

OTBC💛💚

Yep!!

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

To say that nothing has changed is being disingenuous to Farke, the coaching staff and the players. Far too early to start being smug just yet.

Not in the least disingenuous. All it is saying is that the progress we are witnessing, which is entirely down to Webber, Farke, the coaching and fitness staff, and the players, is exactly the evolution to the modern, entertaining, effective style of play which Webber promised us when he was appointed, and Daniel Farke was brought in to deliver. Of course the evolution has involved change; new players for a start; players being coached in different skills, and so on. What simply isn't true is that there has been any change in the intended style of play over time apart from changes to what is possible at any particular point in the developmental process. Last season there were constant grumbles about the tempo, about the sideways passing, about the need for greater directness, all the things we are now seeing. The explanation is that developing the ability to deliver a faster tempo, more forward movement, and greater directness, depends on players refining their skills and internalising the patterns of play, positioning, and timing of runs and passes. That's the evolution that has taken place since the early part of last season, the fruits of which are now visible for everyone to see. As for being smug, no-one is saying this side and squad are the finished article; the process is clearly on-going and only an idiot would discount the possibility, even likelihood, of a hiccup or two along the way. 

• Like 3