Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Russell Martin leaves after 9 years.

Best of luck Russell, great bloke, Norwich through and through, and part of many of our most recent successes - I wish you well pal!

Seconded - a great pro and a credit to himself and to the club. An integral part of all or our successes of the last 9 years and always a great ambassador for Norwich City. Really demonstrated his fighting spirit when he battled back from ulcerative colitis to continue his career. Good luck for the future Russell.

Agree. A major part of our Lambert revival and an integral part of the club for nearly a decade. Wish him every success for the future.

Best option for him to find another club or help the club out re wages. A true club player. All the best.

A key member of some of the most memorable seasons we have had; it has been a roller coaster but has always been committed when he played. Hope he finds a club that he can make a positive difference to.

Poorly announced but am glad he has left, as he was not going to cut a happy figure and was no an option here any longer, esp with the likes of Aarons and Godfrey better for us going forward.

Agree with all the sentiment regarding Russell

BUT

he has negotiated a buy-out here of his contract (and more power to him for that). The announcement shows the club said let''s see if anyone is interested in you for a loan and we can cover your wages from that, before we enter confirm any buy-out; but obviously no-one is interested and thus the deal has been done. Expect to see Russ somewhere local shortly. And explains why he has been on the terraces in recent matches rather than on first team squad duty - the deal has been long done, but he was hoping for a contract elsewhere.

[quote user="Alex "]Best of luck Russell, great bloke, Norwich through and through, and part of many of our most recent successes - I wish you well pal![/quote]
Says it all - just a pity that it all got a bit unsavory the last 18 months.

Curiously, I''ve heard that Ryan Bennett has bought his Wicklewood home and that Martin has moved his family to the South Coast. Unless he''s going to Portsmouth, I can''t see any club down there that''d take him on, although it''s not a huge commute to London.

My source could well be talking shit. He often does.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Agree with all the sentiment regarding Russell

BUT

he has negotiated a buy-out here of his contract (and more power to him for that). The announcement shows the club said let''s see if anyone is interested in you for a loan and we can cover your wages from that, before we enter confirm any buy-out; but obviously no-one is interested and thus the deal has been done. Expect to see Russ somewhere local shortly. And explains why he has been on the terraces in recent matches rather than on first team squad duty - the deal has been long done, but he was hoping for a contract elsewhere.[/quote]

So what are the terms of this buy-out?

How much has it cost the club?

Why aren''t Archant digging this out? Delia foolishly gave the boy a new contract for non-football reasons, as can be seen again from her sentiments expressed on the club''s website, so how much has this now cost the club and is Delia going to pay from her own pocket, as she should?

Certainty and not have a disillusioned pro around the place is a good thing.

Just read that he tops the list of premier league appearances for the club (at 125) and is joint 23 in the all time top flight appearances alongside Big Duncan Forbes. That is esteemed company as speaks as loudly as anything else.

Dig what out? There''s nothing to dig out.
Having his contract terminated will mean him being paid the value of it, basic wages wise, from now until it ended-assume 10 months (ie) to the end of June.
That''s how it normally works-mutual consent implies the club and Russ came to a joint agreement so it may not be quite the full amount.
And the club will pay it. They were his employer, they drew up and offered him the contract that he signed.
Delia gave him the contract? Jesus f*****g Christ Vince.

Of course it came directly from Delia that he got the new contract. It made no footballing sense whatsoever when it was announced and that was confirmed by his performances at the start of last season.

It is naive in the extreme that Delia had no hand in this. I would put my house three times over on it.

I would venture that 10 months wages of a high earner is a lot of money and that Delia should take personal responsibility for this appalling lack of judgment and downright interference in footballing matters which should be the domain of the professionals who know when a player is no longer any good.

[quote user="Big Vince"][quote user="shefcanary"]Agree with all the sentiment regarding Russell

BUT

he has negotiated a buy-out here of his contract (and more power to him for that). The announcement shows the club said let''s see if anyone is interested in you for a loan and we can cover your wages from that, before we enter confirm any buy-out; but obviously no-one is interested and thus the deal has been done. Expect to see Russ somewhere local shortly. And explains why he has been on the terraces in recent matches rather than on first team squad duty - the deal has been long done, but he was hoping for a contract elsewhere.[/quote]

So what are the terms of this buy-out?

How much has it cost the club?

Why aren''t Archant digging this out? Delia foolishly gave the boy a new contract for non-football reasons, as can be seen again from her sentiments expressed on the club''s website, so how much has this now cost the club and is Delia going to pay from her own pocket, as she should?[/quote]

Keep your utter sh1te off this thread, Vince. This is all about Russell, as he rightly deserves, not your dissatisfaction with Delia.

He had a difficult start after replacing crowd favourite Spillane but as others have said, a decent full back who waded in with a fair few goals.

Why anyone wants to moan now is beyond me.

Had the pleasure of knowing him for the last few years and spent a lot of time working on his house. Genuinely one of the nicest blokes you could meet and his family are as well. He is Norwich through and through and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back here in the future

[quote user="Big Vince"]Of course it came directly from Delia that he got the new contract. It made no footballing sense whatsoever when it was announced and that was confirmed by his performances at the start of last season.

It is naive in the extreme that Delia had no hand in this. I would put my house three times over on it.

I would venture that 10 months wages of a high earner is a lot of money and that Delia should take personal responsibility for this appalling lack of judgment and downright interference in footballing matters which should be the domain of the professionals who know when a player is no longer any good.[/quote]

Even if Delia was involved, which I very much doubt, as the majority shareholder she is effectively already paying for it. What don''t you understand about the way the club is set up?

Always put Norwich first, respected by his team mates, great Skipper, did a lot of community work, and lovely bloke.

They don’t come much better.

Good luck!

However anyone can put a negative spin on thhis thread beggars belief.

Russ has been a great servant to the club and I wish him all the very best.

Absolute legend! The last of a hell of an era for us! Bought for a few pence and what an absolute bargain that turned out to be!

Sincerely hope he is back here coaching soon as he is as managerial material as they come.

Read a comment about him having really bad colitis and that being why he moved from right back to Centre Back. This would explain a hell of a lot as I was really confused why he moved as he was our best right back we have had in years and was then a fairly average centre back. Not bad by any means I mean he played there in the playoff final and that run but he was nowhere near as good there as he was at right back.

Anyone know why that would hold him back playing full back but not be so bad at centre back? Less running or something? Has a bit of the Michael Owens about it of the body giving up before the mind.

Anyway... thanks for some amazing memories Russ and good luck! Hope you are back as manager one day, the perfect role model for our growing youth academy to thrive off.

He''s been an utter star. And we all grow old.

Good luck in whatever you do Russ. Hope you''ll be back before too long.