Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

James Maddison - £25m

[quote user="GJP"]If he was a striker with lightning pace and about 20 league goals this season then you might get £25m from someone.

Even if he was amazing (which he isn''t) people will know we need the money and will take much less than £25m and probably much less than £20m.[/quote]

8-12 million any more well done

If I was a top 5 champs team with a sugar daddy I would prefer Prichard, that ability to shuffle and get a shot off and on target when faced with a parked bus defence.

If I was a middle prem team I would prefer a Murphy as you need that pace.

lovely tidy player but is he going to help you avoid relegation from the Premier League? The top teams have plenty of talented technically gifted players and most likely would prefer someone from a lower prem team when you get to 25 million +

£8m for Mings.

I really can''t see Maddison at a team above the size of Southampton/Leicester. I would say Everton, but they have so many No. 10s he is the last thing they need.

In reality he''ll probably end up at a mid-table/relegation battling team as that is pretty much 75% of the prem these days.

Anyone who thinks he''d turn down a move to any Premier League club is deluding themselves.

You can only hope that we turn down all offers for both Maddison and Pritchard this window. Hopefully we can have a crack at top six and do enough for them to want to stay with us for at least another season. If we can get the forwards sorted this window, get our loans guys back and Thompson fit again, we have a very decent squad

I don''t think it would be the end of the world to lose one out of the two of Maddison and Pritchard. They are both pretty similar players and Farke is accommodating them both into the team at the moment at the cost of some more direct players.

Both Pritchard and Maddison want to drop deep into pockets of space and try to create something, the problem is you are seeing them drawn towards the same spaces in games, making Norwich very narrow and sit a little too deep. Nelson also likes to come deeper to look for the ball, which is adding to the congestion.

Selling one of the two and investing in a better wide player, Wildschut and Watkins just don''t seem to be doing the job, could really benefit Norwich.

While it is great having two really gifted players like them at the club - a healthy lump of cash (circa £15m) would allow for the squad to become a little more balanced.

"They are both pretty similar players and Farke is accommodating them both into the team at the moment at the cost of some more direct players."

I agree in principle- you could get by with one.

However Farke hasn''t shown any inclination to play more ''direct'' players when only one was available so I don''t see that changing with a sale. I''d actually argue we look much more direct with them both in the team than we did before.

A crack at the top 6 would be lovely, but we''re 3 wins (9 points) off 6th, and over 4 wins off 3rd (13 points) with just 4 points covering the 4 play-off slots with 7th-9th all within 3 points as well. It''s a big ask for all those teams to drop that volume of points considering our own abysmal form.

I think even the biggest optimist will begin to admit that the play-offs are but a distant dream for this season now. We a rather spectacularly mid-table, and as a result people will come after our best assets. Given the financial state the club will be in next season with the parachute payments coming to an end, I would not be surprised to see at least one if not all of Maddison, Pritchard and Murphy go.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Would you be happy with that?  Presumably a massive influence would be what was done with the money?[/quote]I would not be happy or sad, but maybe the club itself could find the money useful. Anycase, trying to put a transfer fee figure on a Maddison sell is a pointless exercise, may as well guess how many grains of sand there are on a beach.DF made it quite clear no one has knocked on his door asking to leave along with the club telling him there is no urgency to sell anyone so outside of any crazy fee offers for any player (such as a tenner from West Ham to have Jarvis back) then im hoping and mostly expecting a quiet month for exiting City players.

£25m seems hugely optimistic to me. He’s a brilliant player at this level and has bags of potential but then again has no PL experience. As others have said, probably not a top six player yet, and are any other Premier League teams going to risk £25m on an untested kid?

Other clubs will also know we need the money and will test the waters with lower offers, that more than likely we’d accept. And, if the player wants to play in the Premier League, you either sell or have a very unhappy player on your hands.

Out of those 4 you could only maybe see Southampton.

Never getting near the Arsenal or Spurs sides.

Chances arte whichever of the Premiership clubs who come in for him will be back in TC in a couple of seasons

Don’t forget Coventry probably have a considerable sell on clause in there as well... anything we get for Maddison would be compromised by this. I reckon this is less so with Pritchard but probably still some kind of sell on there as well.

Out of all the possibilities, I think it’ll be Klose that’s most likely to go. Raggett looks like he’s coming straight here and we have Zimmermann and Hanley who have proven useful so he wouldn’t be as missed and we would get probably all the transfer fee and a big wage off the bills.

As for the playoffs, we only need 1 of the teams in there to slip up and history suggests at least one of them will run out of steam. It’s a tough ask still but a good January and we’d be right in the driving seat for fighting for 6th.

If we have to lose madders or Pritchard I hope it’s not until at least summer, only 1 per window and for no less than £20m each to a prem club. The fees directly correlate to how much money it’s worth staying in the prem and are therefore warranted for any club that think madders or Pritchard or any of our players are up to the task of keeping them there.

There are a mere three players from the Championship to have been sold for the total touted by the OP. Jordan Pickford, with an impressive season in the Prem and still just 23, went to Everton for roughly £25m. Regular internationals Georginio Wijnaldum and Moussa Sissoko are the other two, also returning to the Premier League before kicking a Mitre ball in anger.

By way of comparison, here are a few players of similar age and position to Maddison, and the rough price they went for:

Oliver Burke £13m

Jacob Murphy £12m

Will Hughes £8m

Lewis Cook £8m

At a hunch, I reckon we''re more likely to see our strikers go this January than Maddison or Alex Pritchard. They will also be much harder to find replacements for.

Maddison is doing an interview with the Interdependent today. His profile is rising and if he becomes the ''next big thing'' then that will add a bit more to his value.

Hopefully there will also be a bit more from him on his future - players sometime less cagey with national media.

He has the technique, the passing ability, his goals are quality finishes so of course his profile will rise.  I don''t think 25 million is too much to ask given how much money is swanning around the PL and how long his contract is. People want the best players they are going to have to pay for them. No-one will forget this free kick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPywvp-4fE

He has a lot going for him- great talent, young, scoring and creating goals. If he started playing regularly for the England U21''s as well then that would add a bit more to his value as it did Murphy.

I said on Saturday that I though Maddison was the best player in the championship. Obviously it was a completely subjective and unsubstantiated claim but it got me thinking so I did some research... According to squawka he is actually 2nd behind Curtis Davies, whereas whoscored have him at 9th.Transfer fees are a little hard to predict but most fans seem to struggle to keep up with the staggering inflation which goes on year to year, let alone the extra clubs end up paying in January where the selling club really don''t want to sell and the buying club really need to buy (£7m for Wildschut anyone!?). Supply and demand ultimately dictate the fee and, with the ludicrous tv money floating around, there is a lot of cash out there.There are a number of factors which would make Maddison an expensive player including his age and nationality as well as the speed at which he has developed. I would argue that he is far from the finished article and it is his potential that teams would be paying for. Personally, I would be extremely disappointed if we sold him for less than £20m and would not be at all surprised if a top half premiership club paid over £25m. It really depends on how much competition there is and how much we need the cash.

Thanks FRank, haven''t looked at Squawka ina long time adn had forgotten all about it though my doubts are raised when they have us rated as the 6th best team in the league:

http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#performance-score#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2017/2018#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#total#desc#total

Interesting. I guess that means we generally play better than our results and league position suggest; I don''t think that''s far wrong really. If it wasn''t for our terrible finishing and some fairly isolated (if recurrent) pieces of bad defending, I''m sure we would be closer to 6th in the table.With a bit of careful filtering it looks even better for Norwich players with Maddison and Pritchard at 1st and 3rd and Klose at 10th when showing the average rating per 90 minutes played with at least 8 games. Yes, you totally have to take it with a pinch of salt!

I''m hugely skeptical about any ''player rating'' system these websites use. I don''t think you can rate a players performance purely on statistical output, however detailed you are.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]The club has to be very cautious......1st Season ticket renewal on the horizon.......Flogging your ''Crown'' jewels in the January transfer market could affect ST sales......[/quote]

Maddison could be worth more in January than in the summer.

By the summer the dynamic will have changed because the parachute payments will have finished and the club will be desperate to sell to make ends meet. Agents will be looking to knock down the asking price as they will be fully aware of NCFC''s new financial reality.

[quote user="Big Vince"]By the summer - the parachute payments will have finished and the club will be desperate to sell to make ends meet.[/quote]Chase all over again - and South - and Watling......

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/norwich-james-maddison-exclusive-interview-coventry-chelsea-fa-cup-a8143656.html

Here is the aforementioned interview with the Independent. Fair to say they have hyped him quite a lot...

A good read - do you think NCFC get to approve this before publication? Nice to read that he is ''settled now'' - hopefully that means for the rest of this season at least!

Would it be going too far to say I think he''s the best talent we''ve had here since Hucks? I think in his prime he''ll be like Wes but with more pace and more goals.

NCFC probably won''t get editorial control, but they will have a press officer in the room with James and Jack while the interview was being carried out. Said press officer will be able to intervene every so often and say ''that is off the record'' or words to such effect. The club will also get shown the piece before it goes to press so they can comment on it, although of course can''t stop it going out.

The amount of control a club has is largely down to how much the media outlet want to keep them sweet.

James will most likely have also been briefed as to what he can and cannot talk about.