Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

How does Russ do it?

We will still need experienced players in the squad next season and Russell Martin is one of them. Like him or not he knows this club inside out and is needed to help the new players gel but of course the haters will always hate without looking at the big picture.

he really shouldn''t be captain next season, don''t have a problem with him as back up.

No king canary, people who`ve watched our defence and know enough about football to realise you cannot scapegoat one defender for the faults of the unit, will have observed Martin being his usual 7/10 self whilst being flanked by a dozy Klose who thinks a couple of good passes a game make him a great defender, a useless lump in Bennett, a keeper who consistantly has one of the worst "shots on target saved" ratios in the league and two fullbacks who are swashbuckling going forwards but often "naive" at best defensively.

Would rather we kept him. he''s a solid right back option and can be useful at cb. we have offloaded the worse 2 I think. Klose will hopefully get back to what he started for us as with a couple of new lads to push russ and tim. 2 new cbs and dijks and we''ll be good to go. in some ways, I think our midfield didn''t help. we need a younger version of tettey really.

BroadstairsR wrote;

"I think he''ll make a successful manager somewhere in due course. He''s no fool."

In total agreement Broadstairs, qualified at EUFA A level I believe, which gives him the right to coach a Championship level.

The somewhere you mention, may possibly be here and may even start next season in a support role of some sort?

It would be great to get a succession process in place, insomuch, not only do we bring young players through, we also bring young managers through (without having to go elsewhere to recruit them!).

@mr carrow

Sorry but that argument just doesn''t stand up. Our defence has been poor for the last two seasons and Russ has been in the side for most of that. To suggest that he''s been fine but it''s all Klose/Bennett/Bassong/Pinto/Dijks/Olsson/Wisdom/Whittakers fault is bizarre.

I don''t hate Martin, nor do I want him gone but to suggest the defensive industry we''ve had have nothing to do with him is just wilfully blind.

[quote user="hogesar"]He''s been our best CB this season, and with a good partner is plenty good enough for this league so, along with being a top club ambassador to help settle new players in, keeping him is the logical choice. He may not even be a regular starter for us.

Look, I get it. Some of you panic and in a blind sense of rage picked the captain as the one to scapegoat and now you''ve kept it up all season I understand it''s hard to back out on.

The other awkward thing is now, we''ve got a list of:

- Lambert and his coaching staff

- Hughton and his coaching staff

- Neil Adams and his coaching staff

- Alex Neil and his coaching staff

- Gordan Strachan and his coaching staff

- Alan Irvine and his coaching staff

- The new structure so far

Have all deemed him good enough. Plenty have deemed him good enough to be a captain too. All professionals with actual football experience and actual knowledge of the game with proper analysis as well as knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes.

But no, don''t be silly. The PinkUn massive know better. He''s sh*t.[/quote]Top post, Hogesar. [Y]

I would suggest NOT buying a player of the same standard as our existing defenders.

How about buying some decent defenders?

"For those asking for him to go--- How much do you think we would have to fork out for someone of the same standard ?"

Exactly. In a time of cost-cutting we have some significant signings needed. They won''t come cheap if we want to maintain our hopes of a successful season to come.

Anther CB is one vital need, IMO. Perhaps an extra stiker and another defensive midfielder.

We might sell a few but, Klose apart, they are unlikely to bring much in by today''s levels (I do not think that we will sell either of the the Murphys just yet, although that time might have to come.)

Why create another expensive to fill gap by unloading RM?

We need two center backs if we sell Klose. Id like them both to be better than Martin. As for cost thoufh- who knows? Ipswich managed to grab a good young center back from League 2 for not very much so bargins can be had.

Im with Tilly, we need an experienced player like Russ, knows the club inside & out, is a great ambassador for us, does a lot off the pitch that people don''t know about, is a good role model for kids, helps new players settle in, might not be first choice every game next season but we need loyal players like him here

Hoggy, you left out being selected at CB by his championship piers in 2015.

If people look back to when Lambert first signed Russ you will see the haters wanted Spillane to be selected in front of him. Yes it''s been going on for that long...

Russ is a model professional, articulate and talks a great game. The ideal player have around the place to help nuture the youngsters coming through.

In addition he remains a useful squad player; I do think we will have better options at both RB & CB but as a stand in for loss of form, injury or suspension you can at least rely on his consistency.

Don''t forget he played a significant role in Alex Pritchard deciding to come to us instead of Brighton. I''m not sure what the relationship between them is but having Pritchard playing for us could prove to be huge next season.

Nutty, you''re right, I''d missed that off my already fairly comprehensive list!

King canary- i never once said (and don`t believe) that it`s every other defenders fault than Martins. I said that the defence works as a unit and we have many weak/underperforming links. Rio Ferdinand in his pomp would struggle to look good in our defence. I also forgot to add that the defensive side of the midfield has been poor as well- i don`t see much of a campaign on here for Tettey to stay....

As i said, Martin is a 7/10 player who has possibly dipped a bit below that a few more times than normal this season, but the individual mistakes which have led to many of the goals conceded have rarely been down to him. Depending on who we sign and how they settle he may well not be first-choice next season but i and every City fan i regularly speak to would trust him defensively far more than the players he`s been playing with this season.

Interesting that not one mention of what an AWFUL example of a captain he has been this season. He could not organise a pee up in a brewery , I can not remember him EVER organising the side motivating them in fact he NEVER looks like he is the captain.

Doubt if any neutral would realise he is captain.

You need a captain who motivates inspires leads by example!

Sorry I agree maybe good as squad player but Howson should be captain.

Interesting CJ - I can''t remember if Martin was Captain when we won the playoff final under Neil?

CJ,

To be fair to RM, we only see what we see for 90 minutes or so. I noticed that since AN left he was far more vocal, not necessarily screaming at, but talking to players, especially during breaks in play and when the subs came on.

Probably the best people to ask who the best Captain is (besides the Team Management) would be the other players and I think I''m correct in saying, they are very happy with the captain they''ve got.

Furthermore, it''s all well and good us saying x or y should be captain, when do we actually know x or y want to be captain?

The only way he should be here next season, is in a similar role to that which John Terry has been at Chelsea this season, i.e cover on the bench, or a good influence (if that''s what he is) around the club.

To have the 3rd worst defensive record in this league is nothing short of disgraceful.

Nobody associated with our defence this season could have any complaints about being replaced, and I''d include Ruddy and even Pinto in that.

The only exception being Dijks who only joined halfway through and was a clear improvement.

Absolutely shocking that they are talking in terms of keeping the boy Martin on. Big Vince has said it before and will say it again:

1. Russell Martin has a clause in his contract which says he must play if fit.

2. Norwich City have the most appalling blind spot when it comes to central defence. They never sign players in this position with the right ability and the right mentality. In the Chumps you need thousands of Malkys at centre-back. Tall, strong, aggressive, no-nonsense leaders.

If the boy Webber is going to continue with Martin next season, then it just goes to prove that he is a front guy for the board by allowing sentimentality to overrule common sense. Russell Martin is Delia''s pet and so the boy Webber will have to go along with that.

The arrival of Webber changes nothing at this club. It is still owned by Delia and Wynnie and operates according to their ridiculous luvvy duvvy sentimentalist culture.

Big Vince,

Point 1. is obviously wrong because he has appeared on the bench many times, including when fully fit, this season and others, which sort of undermines the rest of your diatribe.

[quote user="Ray"]Big Vince,

Point 1. is obviously wrong because he has appeared on the bench many times, including when fully fit, this season and others, which sort of undermines the rest of your diatribe.[/quote]

If you are going to take point 1 literally then you obviously don''t get Big Vince''s nuances and subtleties. Of course he may have been on the bench at times, but that is not the subtlety. The subtlety is that Russell Martin has such a special relationship with the people who count at the club that he has to be selected most of the time even if his performances do not warrant selection at all. This is all part and parcel of the sentimentalist culture that has held the club back for more than 20 years.

Big Vince,

Nuance, dictionary definition = a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound,

Subtle = so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyse or describe.

Not sure either of the above fit Big Vince and if you really believe that all the managers he has played under, plus his international manager, pick him because of sentiment and special relationships, then you carry on believing it, but I can tell you they are not the facts of the matter.

[quote user="Ray"]Big Vince,

Nuance, dictionary definition = a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound,

Subtle = so delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyse or describe.

Not sure either of the above fit Big Vince and if you really believe that all the managers he has played under, plus his international manager, pick him because of sentiment and special relationships, then you carry on believing it, but I can tell you they are not the facts of the matter.[/quote]

Everyone inside Carrow Road and everyone at every away ground and everyone in Scotland can see that Russell Martin is not being selected to play on ability and captaincy. He doesn''t clear balls into the box, either in the air or on the ground, he gets beaten by balls over the top and through the middle, he gets caught out of position and doesn''t play in tandem with his central defensive partner. He doesn''t have any physical presence and gets bullied. He therefore can''t possibly lead by example so to have him as captain is pure mockery of the position.

So, if he is no good as a player or captain, then why is he being selected?

If anything should tell the people on this thread they''re wrong about Martin it should be that Big Vince is on the same side of the fence as you guys .

Oh good, another Russell Martin thread.

And still the love in continues, it''s simple, he''s been part of a failing defence for two long underperforming seasons. He has held the role of captaincy and failed to organise his colleagues around him.

If we''re going to change things at Carrow Road, the replacement of Martin should be a priority.

Was this factual enough hogesar?