Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

James Nursey - Hodgson! Mirror report!

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Herman"]I don''t think most are talking about him as an out and out manager, but as an overseer of the manager/coaches etc.[/quote]Well excuse me but I think if you go back to the OP ten you''ll find that this thread is about Woy becomming Manager, nothing else.Don''t think anyone is taking bets on who, or if, we appoint a DoF.For me it''s about enthusiasm & determination - during the Euros he had none of either, he looked & sounded totally disinterested.If he couldn''t get inspired about that, and given that was only 8 or 9 months ago, would you be prepared to trust him to get enthusiastic & determined about NCFC in the Championship?Out of the 30 or so who have got a new Manager since the start of the season it would appear that nobody else has wanted him.That is until a close friend comes along looking for a cheap option who won''t rock the boat.[/quote]Having read the article, Nursey doesn''t mention (perhaps because he doesn''t know) that from all the accounts in the EDP we are going to split the manager''s role into a DoF and a head coach.Either way, that casts doubt on the story, since it fails to mention a crucial change in the offing (unless Nursey knows we are NOT going down that road, in which case that is a good story and he should have highlighted it).And if we are splitting the roles then for Nursey to talk about Hodgson becong the "manager" doesn''t tell you anything,since we are apparently no longer going to have a post of manager.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]There has been nothing to say we will be having a dof other than speculation on here[/quote]No. EDP football writers have been they believe that is what''s planned:City have already teased a major announcement this week over the new

structure at Carrow Road, which looks set to share the chief executive

responsibilities between other positions while introducing a director of

football role.They may be wrong, but it is not just speculation here.

But the mention of names by the media added to the Chairman talking about "big changes", it is natural to speculate and the appointment of a proper DoF with a Coach sounds exciting to me and would signal the club''s desire to move on.

Derby and Norwich will be shopping in the same pool for managers. Rowett had been linked with Norwich since way before Christmas. Rowett was many fans no1 choice. I think Norwichs and Derbys positions are very similar.

As for restructuring, the team still needs a manager. Clubs normally have a shortlist of managers prepared, even when not necessarily looking for a manager.

Rogue Baboon wrote the following post at 2017-03-14 1:22 PM:

Derby and Norwich will be shopping in the same pool for managers. Rowett had been linked with Norwich since way before Christmas. Rowett was many fans no1 choice. I think Norwichs and Derbys positions are very similar.

As for restructuring, the team still needs a manager. Clubs normally have a shortlist of managers prepared, even when not necessarily looking for a manager.

Most if not all clubs are shopping in the same pool! Rowett may have been "linked" with City, as has Warburton, Pardew and Hodgson. Trouble is, Rowett has ties in the midlands, he lives there and played 80+ matches for them. I somehow do not think his allegiance lies to NCFC.

And why does a club need a manager? As the club, as we know, are restructuring, and won''t pick a manager (Ed Balls own words) until that is complete, then I do not see we are going to have a manager. If they are contemplating a DoF who will do most things football wise but coach, why do you need a manager?

The club are clearly trying to get away from all the eggs in one basket syndrome where managers come in, do a bit, then get sacked. They are looking at continuity throughout the footballing process in taking away a manager controlling everything, and lets face it, yes we''ve had promotions and relegations, managers who have brought in their own players at great cost, some of whom have failed big time, and invariably this managers have been sacked as results have outweighed their fortunes. Imo the path they are looking to take is maybe a path we should embrace.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="FenwayFrank"]There has been nothing to say we will be having a dof other than speculation on here[/quote]No. EDP football writers have been they believe that is what''s planned:City have already teased a major announcement this week over the new

football role.They may be wrong, but it is not just speculation here.[/quote]

That''s not splitting the manager''s role Purple its splitting the CEO role.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="FenwayFrank"]There has been nothing to say we will be having a dof other than speculation on here[/quote]No. EDP football writers have been they believe that is what''s planned:City have already teased a major announcement this week over the new

football role.They may be wrong, but it is not just speculation here.[/quote]

That''s not splitting the manager''s role Purple its splitting the CEO role.[/quote]Jim, it is splitting both.

It is all pure speculation by posters on this forum.....We aren''t privy to what goes on in the Board Room and none of us have a clue what the Board''s intentions are for our future......

Personally, I also think that the current Board don''t have a clue what their intentions are for our future.....either......

Hodgson to take over first team duties till the end of the season while the restructuring is being set up. He''ll move into the DOF position after the season is over and he''ll have learned a lot about our squad and what we need from managing them for a bit. He might even get us into the play offs if he can inspire an upturn.

Then in the summer he moves to the DOF role while a good coach like Darrell Clarke for example is brought in as head coach.

I''d be pretty happy if that''s how it turns out. I''m worried its going to be Gary Holt or Alan Irvine and Ricky Martin in those two positions though...

Indeed Horse.

The Head Coach that one could appoint after the structure and personnel are confirmed, might well see a different calibre of candidates to that which could be attracted immediately.

Many a good Manager or Head Coach would be willing and proud to learn from Hodgson for example.

The template is a good one and does indeed provide the kind of oversight, pounds-and-pitch connection and strategic planning consistency that have long been required.

Even Monk or similar might then be tempted in such circumstances.

Parma

Would be quite happy with Hodgson as manager / first team coach. Bags of experience, lots of contacts, good club record. Would rather someone with his experience oversee''s the summer rebuild than someone in his second job...

The media coverage of events just prior to, and after Neils sacking proves, once again how little anyone knows what is going on.

Look at the various twitter feeds and you see how a story is shared around, with the journo''s claim to be well informed.

No one predicted him going on Friday , and as soon as he does , within seconds we have a nailed on replacement in Pardew. Even the well respected Pat Murphy said his appointment was to be made within 48 hours - and suggested to a doubter to check back on Monday (curiously this tweet has been deleted).

Since then of course Nursey has suggested Pardew, and now Hodson. Charlie Wyett went for Rowet and then broke the news that we were going to sell Wes.

The truth I imagine is that he got sacked , the club will carry on with this "restructuring" thing, and then the manager/ coach / spongeman will be offered a job within the structure?

Meanwhile Rowett has gone (strange as he was apparently waiting for us)

Sorry to be boring , but I think its best just to wait and see.

Woy has had a bit of movement with the odds, unless it''s the prunes.

Would now be disappointed if it wasn''t Woy.

Any news on if we are interviewing anyone or going on a poaching run.

I like the idea of Roy til the end of the season, then taking up a DoF role to oversee the appointment of a new head coach. It would definitely bring a few of the interested parties out of the woodwork, including Monk (if Leeds don''t go up), Gary Neville etc.

I''ve also seen Julian Nagelsmann mentioned, but know nothing about him. What''s he like and would he suit us? Is he out of our league?

Can anyone cite a good example of when in England, a DOF has worked well? Might be a common model on the continent, but seems not to work well here, with the ''manager'' feeling undermined or emasculated or DOF interfering too much.

I scratch my heads when English teams talk of doing this, seems to never work well, like playing certain formations...

Were Rioch/Hamilton in this kind of arrangement I cant remember...

The one example that springs to mind is Watford. I''m not sure if they have a ''Director of Football'' specifically but they do have a structure whereby they have a sporting/technical director heavily involved in transfers and day to day running of the club etc so that the coaches can concentrate on coaching. This has obviously allowed them to remove managers without it causing so much upheaval across the club as it may have otherwise. This probably explains why all their recent appointments have been from the continent (coaches being familiar with this set up).

Given the Pozzo''s ownership of Watford and other clubs across Europe it perhaps makes more sense for them to be run like this.

It''s certainly not comparable to our situation though.

[quote user="Woodman"]I like the idea of Roy til the end of the season, then taking up a DoF role to oversee the appointment of a new head coach. It would definitely bring a few of the interested parties out of the woodwork, including Monk (if Leeds don''t go up), Gary Neville etc.

I''ve also seen Julian Nagelsmann mentioned, but know nothing about him. What''s he like and would he suit us? Is he out of our league?[/quote]He''s only about 30, and currently on the cusp of taking Hoffenheim into Europe. Can''t imagine the Championship would be of any interest to him.

The Great Mass Debater wrote the following post at 14/03/2017 2:50 PM:

Can anyone cite a good example of when in England, a DOF has worked well? Might be a common model on the continent, but seems not to work well here, with the ''manager'' feeling undermined or emasculated or DOF interfering too much.

I scratch my heads when English teams talk of doing this, seems to never work well, like playing certain formations...

Were Rioch/Hamilton in this kind of arrangement I cant remember...

Good question. I suddenly had that dreadful press conference in my mind with Rioch and Hamilton - where they were asked who would actually pick the team and Ham pointed nervously to Rioch.

In my opinion it isn''t just about the roles, but the skills. A club needs football people with a network of contacts and negotiating skills to attract players and build the squad. It needs a numbers man (that''s the easy bit - Stone can do this ) but we have fiddled around with the "Joe Royle" role far too long. I''ll be happy if this an experienced football man (like Roy but I cant see it) but NOT IF IT IS RICKY FLAMING MARTIN !!!!

Will probably be Irvine for the rest of the season while everything else gets sorted out first.

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Will probably be Irvine for the rest of the season while everything else gets sorted out first.

Apples[/quote]

I could live with that as possibly there will be better candidates available then than there are now. Say for example Leeds fail in the play offs, Gary Monk might feel Norwich a safer bet than continuing with the Leeds owner.

Does make me wonder why Neil went now. Might have been better to sort things out behind the scenes before pulling the trigger.

[quote user="Jamie Witherspoon"]Gary Neville!

GARY NEVILLE!

Please stop, you are killing me.[/quote]

Just one would do well. I can''t see two working

More likely to be Norwich Adams as DoF with Frank as chief coach. Prepare for us to go down the little ''ole Norwich ''he used to play for us'' cheap option (again). Think Gunn. Think Adams. Think relegation.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]More likely to be Norwich Adams as DoF with Frank as chief coach. Prepare for us to go down the little ''ole Norwich ''he used to play for us'' cheap option (again). Think Gunn. Think Adams. Think relegation.[/quote]I thought we were having eight more years of Alex Neil and ending up in the Isthmian North Division? Is there ever going to be a point at which you admit your many previous predictions and opinions (who can forget the classic onwards and upwards with Lennon and Hooper?) were wrong?

Directors of Football go by many names but there are quite a few of these models in use in the English leagues. Man City are one example.

What I''ve not seen ever work is what some posters on here seem to suggest with Hodgson - having an older experienced manager acting as a mentor like figure for a younger manager. Generally people with the single minded personality needed to be a football manager are not going to enjoy that sort of model.