Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

James Nursey - Hodgson! Mirror report!

Former England boss Roy Hodgson mulling over return to management at Championship Norwich

Hodgson, 70 in August , has not worked since quitting England in the wake of their embarrassing Euro 2016 exit to minnows Iceland.

Just seen this too and looks like Derby have got in first with Rowett and perhaps if it could be Delia''s swansong before she retires, then getting a former England high profile manager into the club makes sense. Perhaps with an assistant ex ncfc person alongside? It kind of makes sense.

I wouldn''t have a problem with him being involved in a new set up.

He''s an internationally respected manager and head coach and is certainly more of a "name" than Warburton, Rowett or Neil. If that weight of reputation aids our recruitment then surely it''s a good thing?

Personally I doubt very much he''d be up for the day to day grind if club management at 70 but if he was to be DOF I think it would be an excellent appointment.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I wouldn''t have a problem with him being involved in a new set up.

He''s an internationally respected manager and head coach and is certainly more of a "name" than Warburton, Rowett or Neil. If that weight of reputation aids our recruitment then surely it''s a good thing?

Personally I doubt very much he''d be up for the day to day grind if club management at 70 but if he was to be DOF I think it would be an excellent appointment.[/quote]This. [Y]

Agree Duncan. When I said it makes sense, I meant from the clubs point of view rather than my complete endorsement. It wouldn''t be the end of the world though. Perhaps who knows might even start to build the team with promising younger players coming through.

Oh please please NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO?

England remind me so much of Norwich City in that they both full of players who think they are Gods gift to the world of football and do not want to do the hard graft part of the game you need at every level.

Hodgson was useless with England and will be ditto with ours making same mistakes as AN that is not playing on merit rather on if as Martin would put if they "fit in ".

I fear that having risked all on a young inexperienced manager they will now go for the opposite!

Could go the whole hog and have Gary Neville as assistant. His managerial experience at Valencia could have given him a lot of learning! .....( as people like to say these days about abject failure).

Cj, you are probing my point - you need to disassociate last summer''s failure with what''s gone before, particularly at club level. I''d happily have him as DoF.

Cj, you are probing my point - you need to disassociate last summer''s failure with what''s gone before, particularly at club level. I''d happily have him as DoF.

If Roy came in as DoF he''d prob only do it for a year, see how''d we progress then if City were back on their feet leave. Can''t see it being for long or until we''ve consolidated again.

Jesus christ some of our fans are delusional.

Who are we going to get better than Roy? He''s always done well at similarly sized clubs.

Exactly Hog.

As for "I wouldn''t go while he was here.."

Presumably these folk sat through Roeder, Grant and Gunn. Some of Hughton, some of Adams, some of Neil and if they''re a bit older all of Hamilton.

WHY would you then quit because we appointed an internationally respected ex-England manager?

I doubt it will happen but Christ on a penny farthing, if we pulled it off it would be, on the face of it, an absolute coup.

Didn''t we batter the qualifiers under him? People will argue we didn''t beat anyone but Watford won promotion from the Championship more or less ONLY beating crud teams.

I echo most and say Roy would be a good choice as DOF. His age is against his as manager I think.

Exactly Duncan.

I always told myself with Roeder in charge, if I can go and pay to watch Norwich when most of the team aren''t even Norwich players and the manager hates me and I hate them, I can sit through any manager.

Not my first choice but would sort the squad out and the contacts he must have for transfers targets.

My biggest concern is Delia being unable to sack him because of their friendship.

If we needed a DoF then why wasn''t Hodgson given that role but with Neil still as manager? If Hodgson were to be appointed first as DoF then surely it restricts us in terms of who would be prepared to work as manager ''under'' him. Seems a strange one to me and for that reason I wouldn''t be surprised to see him as the manager for next season, to try and get us back in the Premiership.