Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Palace fans ticket prices

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/crystal_palace_fanzine_sends_letter_to_norwich_city_complaining_about_unreasonable_ticket_pricing_1_4147857
I get the premis of keeping prices at a reasonable level for away fans, but what did we get charged at Palace last time, and what did our fans get for their money (in terms of luxurious seats/legroom/facilities etc)? Value for money?

They need to speak to their own club as well, they agree the price and number of tickets with NCFC.

Is this fan the person who decides the ticket price at Palace? No. Strawman arguments of ''it''s okay for Norwich to rip-off Palace fans as Norwich fans get ripped off by Palace'' are counter-productive and do no one any good.

He is a fan like all of us, and one who very correctly says that £45 is too much for a ticket to a football match. He doesn''t single Norwich out, mentioning West Brom, Swansea AND Palace in his letter.

I asked a Palace fan on Twitter what they''d be charging us this season and he replied £32. As we all know, Selhurst Park is a tip, but £45 at Carrow Road is a bit steep if you ask me.

Somehow , i think Palace will muster the 2000 odd fans they need to sell out their allocation at the asking price of £45 to see Cabaye making his debut for them?.......and thats the bottom line, if its a sell out, the price is justified....supply and demand.

I have to say that, after reading the crystal palace fanzine letter in full, I agree with a lot of it.The point to me is not about supply and demand. Yes, Norwich could charge £45 for away tickets for every match and probably sell out. However, lets remember, as the Crystal palace fanzine email says, that Norwich are back in the premier league where we will be earning over £1million for every match shown live on TV. This extra money from 1 match alone, would allow us to reduce away ticket prices by £20-£30 for every away match of the season! If all clubs did this, the fans would benefit.The message to me is that is is about time that the clubs started to invest some of the extra income to help fans cope with high ticket prices. There is clearly more than enough money in the new TV deal to do this.Swansea have announced that they are limiting all away tickets to max £22 for their fans. This sounds like a big investment but when you look at the figures, it is a drop in the ocean!

Its a tough one but I dont see anywhere any club saying they are a not for profit organisations.  Despite what we as fans may want it to be the club is run for its won purposes - not for fans.  There is a link / bond but at the end of the day the club is there to prosper expand and make a profit.

Where do these profits come from - only fans whether through subscriptions (to equally over priced sky etc)  or those attending games.   A clubs income is through multiple channels and is it a surprise they try to maximise their income?    Not sure why anyone is shocked,  especially when supply and demand DOES make a difference;  clubs are leveraging it where demand is too high. 

And why should it just be the small number of away fans that benefit to any price reductions?

Football has lost track of the value of money,  from the prices of pies and tickets to the wages the players milk.     It is ALL over valued and exhorbitantly priced - but we have the choice whether to pay that or not.  £45 per ticket is shocking - but wembley sold out;  we will pay it. as we do for gigs, with tickets over £100 for headline acts (I think O2 for Dolly parton tickets were £120 each).     

Its unpalatable but football is in the grips of the greed culture - driven by sky, agents, players but mostly fans thirst for success.

£45 is a joke. Our prices over the last few years have been far too high (I say this as a season ticket holder who gets a much better deal) and I don''t see the need ro the club to be ripping off fans.

It is a joke but our club is among the least culpable for the stupid price hikes over the past 20 years.

Blame the super rich owners taking over, turning clubs into play things and over inflating prices to buy success. Those Russians at Bournemouth for example paying 8 Million for Mings has made buying from the Championship for a club like ours almost unfeasible.

If every club was run like ours as a co-operative where we only spend what we earn in player/ticket sales and broadcasting/sponsorship rights with no injections from owners tickets would still be around £15-£20 at the top level as wages and transfer fees would be so much more reasonable.

Palace fans, blame the likes of Jack Walker, Roman Abramovich and Tony Fernandez etc for the stupid ticket prices us smaller clubs have to charge to remain competitive and the unimaginably greedy Murdoch for getting the ball rolling in the early 90''s, not us!

Agreed Ricky - don''t think the likes of our own club are the source of the problem and, however unlikely, it will take collective action to fix it. That said, football is way overpriced for the average fan, we all know that, but is the ticket the major cost in an away day? There''s also the ground quality to factor in. I don''t get to many matches or many grounds (I know, plastic) so I''m not well placed to judge, can one of the regulars tell me how many grounds the away support can get pitchside in the newest stand, whatever the price?

Great post Ricky and thoroughly agree with all those points.

Business is all about supply and demand. The game will be a sell out. You see these arguments in all walks of life. For example, people pay the price for German cars because they are the best made and most desirable. Premier league football is where it is at.

If people dont want to pay the price then go elsewhere. They will be plenty of takers for their seat.

Sorry, £45 for one of 2000 tickets to a live event doesn''t seem bad to me at all.

Yes it will be unaffordable to some, even many, but in real terms what else can you buy a ticket for for much less.

When I read the story I was surprised that is was an issue and that Palace fans think it is out of the norm. Hats off to the clubs who are keeping prices much lower.

Is going to the football 4 times the experience of going to see a movie? I''d have thought yes.

£45 seems a little steep, however at least Palace fans will get seats (if they decide to sit in them) with uninterrupted views, decent toilet facilities, reasonable refreshment options / service, none of which i recall at our last visit to Selhurst Park for my 30 odd quid, so maybe £45 is not too over the top ?

Hello Canaries, Palace fan in peace here. Well done on getting back to the top flight. I wish you all the best and think you will be all right. (We appear to be doing ok so it can''t be that difficult!)

Reading the above thread reminds me why I have always liked Norwich and their fans. The argument is whether £45 is a reasonable price for a Premier League football match. We think not. You will be paying over £50 several times this season and some of your fans are being priced out just the same as ours. Market forces are all very well until you can''t afford what the market pays. The Premier League often just treats fans as an entertaining backdrop to their TV product.

We know that the away section at Selhurst is not fit for purpose anymore and the board are developing plans for a comprehensive redevelopment of the ground. Until then it will be what it always has been.

Looking forward to Carrow Road on August 8 and wish you all well for the season.

....so despite the price you''ll still be coming? Imo in a nutshell there''s the answer - until people start to vote with their feet, the PL prices will remain high: they do rather have us over a barrel. The ''problem'' at NCFC at the moment is that it doesn''t really matter whether away fans take the tickets, they will just reduce the size of the away block and sell to our own fans who will definitely want them so they''ll get the ££ whatever.

As to prices generally, they are indeed too high all round and I look forward to the day they come down - the issue is that as things are there''s no ''need''. if we are to get anything done, we need a bit of a combined effort across the board, rather than picking out one club to get at over another.

I dont know any fan from London can complain about other clubs outside of it. There has never been a more overated and hideously overpriced place than the capital.

I paid £52 for the play off final for an average view of a one sided game. Was it good value for money ? No. Did I regret buying the ticket ? No.

If the regular Palarse fans dont want to travel then I am sure that some of their casual fans will.

How do they think a £10 million player is financed?

Got to agree with the above.

Everything is overpriced in London and subsidised by the rest of the Country. People get paid more in London than for similar jobs elsewhere, so no sympathy.

If it was a Club like Derby last year, I think it would be a fair point - but not for Londoners who will rip us off for drinks and meals every time we go to the Capital.

Did notice that palace are offering free coach travel to season ticket holders and members to the norwich game...

It''s a lot of money, certainly. Is it ridiculously out of proportion to other clubs? Well, like you say, if Palace are charging us £32, then £13 is a big difference.
But:
- Better ground
- Better facilities
- Cheaper parking / food / drink / overnight stay
And suddenly it''s not that much more. It''s sad, I don''t like the idea of anyone being price out of going to support their club, but certainly from a NCFC perspective, we could happily fill the entire away stand with home fans at £50 a ticket. Market dictates, etc etc.

I’m sorry, these guys can just do one. It’s bad enough when a club goes in to administration, practically writing off hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money to the police and ambulance services, and also to small businesses. It is even worse when these clubs inevitably survive (administration should not apply to football as it differs from other industries) and then get rich again and refuse to pay any of it back as gesture of good will. It’s even worse when these clubs then become darlings of the media like Southampton and Palace (Palace for their great support -12,000 fans a few years back?). It’s even worse when teams then use their new money to ‘invest’ sinking costs into huge weekly wages into players, without making any improvements to their infrastructure – that would actually be real investment. Here I mean QPR with no running water in the toilets and that disgrace of a ground in South London. The Premier League should not allow teams to play at grounds like Loftus road or Selhurst Park in the Premier League. Palace have been up three years now, spent loads of players and not invested in their ground. So when they inevitably go back down in a year or so, they’ll become a poor club with a shit ground and be back in administration without investing any of the income from the good times into something long-lasting. Of course a club will claim it will invest in the future, but this just indefinitely postpone development.

So how should the Premier league incentivise development in a market-orientated manner? Easy. An inspection at the start of each season. If a club has a sub-standard stand (which will inevitably be the away end), it should only be allowed to charge say £30, £20 or even £10 in extreme Selhurst Park cases. That would soon make a club invest in the stadium. Will the Premier League do this? Will they my left testicle.

I for one love going to grounds like Selhurst. They''re a rare breed these days with the typical "bowl" grounds that are churned out in mass now. Complaining about toilet facilities? Since when have football fans gotten so precious?! Oh yeah... since clubs started pricing the real fans out...

[quote user="Salford"]I for one love going to grounds like Selhurst. They''re a rare breed these days with the typical "bowl" grounds that are churned out in mass now. Complaining about toilet facilities? Since when have football fans gotten so precious?! Oh yeah... since clubs started pricing the real fans out...[/quote]I have a lot of empathy with this point of view, and especially with the generic ''new bowl stadium'' syndrome. It''s your assertion about ''real fans'' that I take issue with. I grew up in an era when we had terraces and dodgy stands (late 80s/early 90s), but wasn''t allowed to stand on the terraces due to a combination of safety concerns and my dad''s health/mobility. So realistically, all I''ve ever really known is the safe, sanitised football experience that you seem to dislike so much. But times change, and much as I love those away days at ''old-school'' grounds, I''d still consider myself a ''real'' fan, just from a new generation. It''s obvious (and sad) that Murdoch''s money has priced a lot of people out, but I don''t think the ''us and them'' mentality really helps anything.Much as I quite like the fact that some grounds are ropey old buckets, lower ticket prices should be rolled out across the board, not just for away fans.