Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Snodgrass on move ?

i dont rate him but id want 8 million minimumconsidering what was paid for him + his wages and everything else hes worth thatif he scores 10 goals in a mid table premier lieage team next season it justifies it given what top flight clubs make each year

also we will be much better off replacing him with a genuine left winger and playing redmond on the right anyway ;)

This thread is incredible. Apart from being our second highest scorer this season, he created the most chances for other players in our team out of all of our players. And still people ''don''t rate him''. Extraordinary.

I like him but we rely too much on him being on form. I feel the team may work better with more direct wingers that like to cross and break with pace. Good player but can be a liability.

I do like Snodgrass and I think he''d be good player for us to have in the Champs.

Problem was that we depended too heavily on him last season and he''s just not that good. Not his fault (or not all his fault) that we tried to put everything through him but it was to our detriment.

It actually reminds me a bit of Rooney and England. Good player, can come up with some good moments but doesn''t produce enough of them to justify all the play going through him. He slows the play down too.

Snodgrass is a top player but the Championship is very much a league where ''the team'' prospers. I wouldn''t hesitate in selling Snodgrass should we get £6 million thrown our way. I agree on the younger Hoolahan sentiment as well, but it''s hard to find such a unique type of player...perhaps more frequently found on the continent.

" .. it''s hard to find such a unique type of player...perhaps more frequently found on the continent "

Like Dani Pacheco for example :-)

" It actually reminds me a bit of Rooney and England. Good player, can come up with some good moments but doesn''t produce enough of them to justify all the play going through him. He slows the play down too"

/\ This /\

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]This thread is incredible. Apart from being our second highest scorer this season, he created the most chances for other players in our team out of all of our players. And still people ''don''t rate him''. Extraordinary.[/quote]

What''s extraordinary is is how overrated Snodgrass is. You can throw stats around but they don''t always tell the bigger story. Close to all of our attacks came through him because the management did not have any other ideas. A player who see''s more of the ball is more likely to score or more likely to gain assists. A bit similar but the reverse of Holt. He saw less of the ball and hence scored and set up less!

Most on here are seeing a bigger picture in terms of how they want our team to play as a team. Not just the Snodgrass show!

He''s still a decent player and I don''t think we should take anything less than £6 mill.

The ability to retain the services of Hooper and Snodgrass and, to a lesser extent, Ruddy would provide a strong statement of intent from our management team. Similarly, moving on RvW would signal a very necessary break from the failure of last season.

Gutted to see him go - our best player.

But, it''s an inevitable price of Hughton''s relegation. He''s too good for us now and deserves to be at a top tier club.

Agree with most on here - one of the reasons we struggled as a team last season.   Everyone complained about Rooney and his inability/unwillingness to track back, wide for England, leaving defenders and midfielders exposed.  Same with Snodgrass - quite often paying lip service to defensive duties (imo) rather than total commitment to it.  Martin and Fer left with too much to do on too many occasions as a result.  

If you are supposed to be one of the best players in the team, you have to be up for whatever is the challenge.  Rooney and Snodgrass see themselves as more the main men in their teams - but that only works if the team is winning - the rest of the time they look short of  what is needed.

I''m struggling to understand how us fans think the club can hold out for a higher fee on a player with less than a year left on his contract. Some of the figures on here are crazy.

The reality of our relegation creates a market biased towards the player and the buying club, particularly for players with less than a year left on their current deals.  It allows clubs like Hull to circle and pick up a bargain, we are in no position to turn down a 4m bid for him if he also wants to go, sad but true.

Unless of course, the management team put their foot down and say no, gambling totally on promotion and the player not becoming a ''Bad Egg''. Which is so not needed when we require everyone pulling in the same direction. Its almost irrelevant whether he is capable of leading us to promotion, his style of play etc. Will he sign a new deal and is he happy to play in the Championship? yes, great, no, sell for best you can get, and that, in my opinion, would be 4m tops.

These are the sad and inevitable consequences of relegation for us.

There is some utter tosh spoken on this forum sometimes.Selling our player of the season for £4 million would show a complete lack of ambition.

[quote user="whoareyou"]There is some utter tosh spoken on this forum sometimes.Selling our player of the season for £4 million would show a complete lack of ambition.[/quote]

Ambition has very little to do with it - and as has been said many times,  POTS in a season where we were abjectly poor for most of it and got relegated, does not mean an awful lot.....

Please enlighten me on why you think that based on the clear facts whoareyou?

You would rather we keep a player who wants to play in the Premier league, has one year left and can walk for free, than get some return and invest in players who want to be here?

Now, I have no knowledge, like you as to whether he wants to stay, but it will become clear if he signs a new deal, if not, it will prove that he has no intention of staying and the club are best to move on. Cant see how any of this is lack of ambition, poor management from the past? yes, but this is reality.

[quote user="Canary Willo"]

Please enlighten me on why you think that based on the clear facts whoareyou?

You would rather we keep a player who wants to play in the Premier league, has one year left and can walk for free, than get some return and invest in players who want to be here?

Now, I have no knowledge, like you as to whether he wants to stay, but it will become clear if he signs a new deal, if not, it will prove that he has no intention of staying and the club are best to move on. Cant see how any of this is lack of ambition, poor management from the past? yes, but this is reality.

[/quote]

Yes what you talk of in your posts above is reality Willo and following virtually any of our other relegations you would be right in that we could not afford to let a player walk for free in a year''s time when we can get £4m for him now. Except perhaps this year we can.

Yes we will need to trim the wage bill but the fact is we have no debt. We are told all our players have contracts that allow for a wage decrease on relegation. We have other players we can (and i suspect will) sell this summer (Fer, RVW, Bassong and probably one or both of Wes/Pilks) who should bring in £10m plus to add to the kitty. From what i have seen and know of them I would think all of the above are more likely than Snoddy to kick off and cause dressing room issues if forced to stay, especially if the only move on the table for Snoddy is Hull sodding City.

This is therefore perhaps the one occasion when we can afford to take a gamble on keeping a player. If he walks for free at the end of next season or we have to sell for £2m in January then its not really a disaster whereas if he stays, plays as we know he can (and did at the end of last season when he showed no lack of commitment) and helps get us promoted then it will have been a gamble that has paid off. Even if he then still leaves on a free thats ok because he''s done his bit and we are back in the prem.

For me, therefore, unless he absolutely throws his toys out of the pram or we get a bid that''s too good to turn down we should be doing all we can to keep Snoddy.

That''s a fair point and one I could understand, but the very fact he delayed signing concerns me.

Lets hope you are right, but if not, we have to push hard for more money but be realistic that somewhere around the 4m is about as much as we can expect, based on situation,

We wont get a replacement for £4 million of the same ability.Decent Premier League players don''t go for that money and for a midfield player who has scored 12 goals in 61 games in a side that struggled for goals that is peanuts. We either need to keep him here to get us back promoted or sell him for much more than £4 million.

What part of the two reasonable posts above did you not get?

IF he does not want to stay we will not be in a position to demand more than what is offered, simple.... If he wants to stay great, I agree keep him until January and take a gamble on him helping us.

Peanuts it may be, but lose PL status and you lose a lot of your bargaining power, especially with players in last years of contracts, however frustrating this may be.

had Elliott Bennett not got injured, Sondgrass would have spent the majority of the season getting splinters up his backside on the bench.. he''d have been lucky to have been a Million pound player.

I view selling him now as good business... we will get in better, we already have better at the club...

Perhaps, we should just be done with it, take the cheap option as we''ve done by making an internal managerial appointment, and also sell our best players all in a year which would have provided our best opportunity for promotion.

Some of the posts on here are hilarious.

`Snodgrass is why we got relegated`.

I''m almost in hysterics at the height of stupidity on the PinkUn. I''m not surprised - been here long enough to see it all before but still.

Reminds me of the same kind of posts about Holt not being able to cut it in the Champ, and then the Prem. Or even when Hucks got some stick on here. Or Ashton.

Hilarious, but also kind of sad.

Our best player - most productive winger with most goals and most assists and has proven he is a top, top championship player.

Without Snodgrass, our chances of promotion would be considerably reduced. It depends on whether he wants to stay, though. Is there not an option to extend his contract after 3 years?

I''m ambivalent about Snodgrass for £4m to be honest. Seems like a fair price to me.

In my view he is a good player, great left foot and a danger at free kicks around the box. Has passion and determination.

But he was too slow for the Prem. Outpaced by Gary Cahill when through and lost the chance to get a priceless goal at the Bridge. That passion led him to taking the ball off RVW when it could have given him confidence and seemingly disobeyed manager''s instructions. We were too reliant on him for attacks, the cutting back in lost us momentum. The lack of pace left our RB exposed when others counter-attacked against us.

Used in the right way, in the right formation with a genuine big target man he could be very useful. Played all the time like Hughton did as our only outlet was too limiting and unfair on him to carry that burden as well.

We do have alternatives in the squad, but Adams would have to use Snodgrass more sparingly next season (the Champs isn''t that much slower than the Prem from what I have seen) and maybe he has more verstaile targets in mind with any money generated.

Reading how some of the posters on here rate Snodgrass it must be obvious that he will go for far more than £4M (a price that I would be happy with).

Bearing in mind how good he is there are bound to be quite a few Premiership clubs in for his signature which must increase the price that we will be getting for him.

It can''t just be Hull ................ can it?

If Adams is planning on playing the 4-2-3-1 with quick counter attacks that he favoured in the Youth Cup win, then I don''t think we''d really miss him that badly, we do tend to play through him quite heavily and whilst he is undoubtedly talented he does seem to slow play down an awful lot. I''d certainly take anything around the £5m mark given his contract situation.