Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Van Wolfswinkel...

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Every player played a stormer today except the wolf who was again dreadful. He has to go on the summer cut out losses along with hapless and mcnasty[/quote]

Thus speaks a real fan........not.

"If you''d have rather bought Chamakh, Anchiebe or Gayle you''re deluded"

I must be deluded then because Chamakh on a free transfer, 5 goals in 25 in a poor team, looks like much better business than £8.5m plus on Van Wolfswinkel... 1 goal in 25.

I could be deluded then, but maybe you are the deluded one.

Easy to just call people "deluded" though isn''t it, without asking them for alternatives. My suggestion is that we sack of Wolfy and reinvest, talking about who we coulda shoulda woulda is not particularly relevant.

What is relevant is where we go from here, and if it came down to it I think I''d be pretty happy if we took a punt on Jordan Rhodes and Steven Fletcher to replace Wolfy and Elmander for next season.

Just my opinion. If you don''t like it lump it.

"except the wolf who was again dreadful"

I can''t fault his effort in recent weeks, just don''t see what threat he offers. Inside the box, outside the box, on the floor, in the air, offers no threat at all.

Not enough pace to run with the ball or for balls over the top, not enough strength to win and hold up the ball in the air.

Really just don''t get him or what he was supposed to do, and if I don''t get that then I can''t have a full understanding of whether it is him or the team or the manager or the tactics or what.

Maybe one of his ardent supporters can offer up an example of a player that he is supposed to be like?

A former player said that Hooper is similar to Defoe just after he''d signed, which former or current PL great would we liken Wolfy to in terms of style of play? Maybe that would help some of us understand what we are supposed to be waiting for.

Yes, he missed a glaring chance, but he still worked very well today.

Not only that but Mannone pulled off an excellent stop from his header in the second half and I think we would be remiss not keeping him for at least another season to see if he can''t step up.

Jay Rodriguez.. similar cost to the Wolf and took a season to get his feet under the table.

Up until the last 5 or 6 games of last season Southampton fans were slating the signing of Rodriguez..

This season he finds himself in the England set up.

Just seen MotD highlights, yes, RVW should have put at least one of those opportuniteis away.Still, what was there to suggest that he''d not cut it in the Prem?

I don''t like the fact he keeps subbing him whilst he is playing to a reasonable standard as he was yesterday keep him on for the full 90 keep him compleatly match fit,

Should have taken off Elmander for Hopper and get those pair playing together!

[quote user="Le Juge"]"except the wolf who was again dreadful"

I can''t fault his effort in recent weeks, just don''t see what threat he offers. Inside the box, outside the box, on the floor, in the air, offers no threat at all.

Not enough pace to run with the ball or for balls over the top, not enough strength to win and hold up the ball in the air.

Really just don''t get him or what he was supposed to do
, and if I don''t get that then I can''t have a full understanding of whether it is him or the team or the manager or the tactics or what.

Maybe one of his ardent supporters can offer up an example of a player that he is supposed to be like?

A former player said that Hooper is similar to Defoe just after he''d signed, which former or current PL great would we liken Wolfy to in terms of style of play? Maybe that would help some of us understand what we are supposed to be waiting for.[/quote]I have only witnessed 10 per cent of RvW''s 1,191 minutes game time for NCFC, so I won''t say for certain he is the worst striker I have seen at NCFC since Jim Blair, but that assessment seems right to me. One argument is that we are not creating chances for him. Possibly not, although he has missed all but one of the chances laid on a plate for him.But we cannot afford the luxury of a player who is only ever (if that...) going to score goals that others make. A striker has to create chances for themselves, and for others. That he is not doing, and just never looks like doing. One goal and supposedly one assist.To be fair, it is not his fault that the one role he might be able to play, a pure goalscoerer playing off a target man, is out of fashion. Any blame there should be directed at the managerial decision to buy him.

There''s never been a player I want to succeed as much as Wolfy (except maybe Cureton''s second coming).. He''s all heart as others have said. If you follow him on twitter its clear to see. Its a bit heartbreaking to see him so bereft of confidence and goals. He was so unlucky at the start - I remember him lashing a few acrobatic chances wide early in the season, had a few good chances saved - then there was the Snoddy pen, the bizarre chested miss against villa, and then injury. Since then he can''t seem to ever give himself a clear strike at goal. I think its a pity Holty had to leave - he would''ve been a fantastic mentor for Wolfy to learn the English game. And holty ccould''ve helped him a lot upfront too. Much like elmander did today.

I think he''ll have time over preseason to bulk up, and regain his confidence, and then we''ll see some goals from him.

Le Juge wroteI can''t fault his effort in recent weeks, just don''t see what threat he

offers. Inside the box, outside the box, on the floor, in the air,

offers no threat at all.

That is exactly how I see RVW and us exactly how I saw him yesterday, IMO he didnt have a great game yesterday as others are saying, he just makes up the numbers and we cant afford players like that, he had 2 good chances yesterday and still failed to score, I could live with that if he done everything else well but he doesnt.

I can''t remember Iwan hitting 20 goals in his first season, he didn''t turn out too bad though...

Wrong call, muggins.

Benteke sits just outside the top ten strikers in the PL this season, with just two fewer goals than Lukaku and Van Persie, and with Villa''s ''easy'' run-in, he''s not likely to stay there. Rip Van Winkle doesn''t even make the top fifty.

Benteke''s selling price would be at least four times the £7m that Villa paid for him, Norwich would be hard pushed to get a quarter back on RVW.

We have to stick with RvW next season IMO. At the moment he looks like a striker who would struggle in the lower leagues, he is one of those strikers who don''t have any natural attributes - he''s not tall, strong, pacey therefore the assumption i made was that he is a finisher, however on this season''s evidence, a finisher he is not.

I am desperate for it to work for the Wolf and while he runs round like a headless chicken fairly well, he needs to stop coming deep, he has to make the runs behind. I think with Hooper in the team we look more dangerous, Hooper may not be able to score either but he does create chances, RvW doesn''t even do that.

Now despite all this, we need to keep him, he obviously has ability, he scored goals for fun before. Perhaps it will take time, perhaps he needs the right strike partner or number 10, but there is no point selling him now, we would be lucky to get £3 million. The club needs to gamble and hope next season we see a new RvW.

I personally don''t think Benteke has looked as good as he did last season. Villa could have got a hell of a lot for him last season, if they were to sell him now, his price i would imagine would be less than he was last season. They could have bought 3-4 good quality players with the sale, instead of 1-2 now.

.....Wrong call indeed

Miggins, i think most Villa fans would have agreed with his performances in the first half of the season, however he''s starting to look like the beast he was last season. I expect if he continues that run of form till the end of the season his price will remain between £25-35M

[quote user="MancCanary"]There''s never been a player I want to succeed as much as Wolfy (except maybe Cureton''s second coming).. He''s all heart as others have said. If you follow him on twitter its clear to see. Its a bit heartbreaking to see him so bereft of confidence and goals. He was so unlucky at the start - I remember him lashing a few acrobatic chances wide early in the season, had a few good chances saved - then there was the Snoddy pen, the bizarre chested miss against villa, and then injury. Since then he can''t seem to ever give himself a clear strike at goal. I think its a pity Holty had to leave - he would''ve been a fantastic mentor for Wolfy to learn the English game. And holty ccould''ve helped him a lot upfront too. Much like elmander did today.

I think he''ll have time over preseason to bulk up, and regain his confidence, and then we''ll see some goals from him.[/quote]

Holty would probably have been able to help him bulk up too!

[quote user="MancCanary"]There''s never been a player I want to succeed as much as Wolfy (except maybe Cureton''s second coming).. He''s all heart as others have said. If you follow him on twitter its clear to see. Its a bit heartbreaking to see him so bereft of confidence and goals. He was so unlucky at the start - I remember him lashing a few acrobatic chances wide early in the season, had a few good chances saved - then there was the Snoddy pen, the bizarre chested miss against villa, and then injury. Since then he can''t seem to ever give himself a clear strike at goal. I think its a pity Holty had to leave - he would''ve been a fantastic mentor for Wolfy to learn the English game. And holty ccould''ve helped him a lot upfront too. Much like elmander did today.

I think he''ll have time over preseason to bulk up, and regain his confidence, and then we''ll see some goals from him.[/quote]

Holty would probably have been able to help him bulk up too!

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]It seems RvW can''t be judged on his lack of goals for some reason. Weird.[/quote]

He can and he is. The op, and a few others, want rid of him. Others don''t.

I dunno pricey, he was pretty woeful in the first half of the season which I think would have knocked his price down a bit, he''s also not at the level that he was last season from what i''ve seen, but he has looked good recently. I guess it depends what people are prepared to pay for him. Iv''e just seen on sky sports (although i don''t take this as truth obviously) that Chelsea would want £17m for Lukaku, who in my opinion is a better striker with a great deal more amount of potential.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Le Juge"]"except the wolf who was again dreadful"

, and if I don''t get that then I can''t have a full understanding of whether it is him or the team or the manager or the tactics or what.

A former player said that Hooper is similar to Defoe just after he''d signed, which former or current PL great would we liken Wolfy to in terms of style of play? Maybe that would help some of us understand what we are supposed to be waiting for.[/quote]I have only witnessed 10 per cent of RvW''s 1,191 minutes game time for NCFC, so I won''t say for certain he is the worst striker I have seen at NCFC since Jim Blair, but that assessment seems right to me. One argument is that we are not creating chances for him. Possibly not, although he has missed all but one of the chances laid on a plate for him.But we cannot afford the luxury of a player who is only ever (if that...) going to score goals that others make. A striker has to create chances for themselves, and for others. That he is not doing, and just never looks like doing. One goal and supposedly one assist.To be fair, it is not his fault that the one role he might be able to play, a pure goalscoerer playing off a target man, is out of fashion. Any blame there should be directed at the managerial decision to buy him.[/quote]
Possibly being provocative Purple in saying he is the worst since Jim Blair. There have been a few since then! But thanks for the reminder!
But on the whole I agree with what you are saying. Looking at his positives his work rate is good but we need a lot more from a striker than someone who can chase down the back 4. Her also has the footballing brain to take up some good positions in the box, the problem is as soon as the ball goes near him his legs and touch turns to that of Bambi.
Whether he is the player Hughton expected him to be is an interesting question. A natural goalscorer would have converted one if not both of the good chances he had yesterday. But it is not just yesterday 1 goal in 20 odd starts from the player who was bought to be your main striker tells its own story.
All that said his heart is clearly in it and I still really want him to succeed, but the problem is that team selection can not be allowed to be based on sentiment given our still precarious position in the division.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Le Juge"]"except the wolf who was again dreadful"

A former player said that Hooper is similar to Defoe just after he''d signed, which former or current PL great would we liken Wolfy to in terms of style of play? Maybe that would help some of us understand what we are supposed to be waiting for.[/quote]I have only witnessed 10 per cent of RvW''s 1,191 minutes game time for NCFC, so I won''t say for certain he is the worst striker I have seen at NCFC since Jim Blair, but that assessment seems right to me. One argument is that we are not creating chances for him. Possibly not, although he has missed all but one of the chances laid on a plate for him.But we cannot afford the luxury of a player who is only ever (if that...) going to score goals that others make. A striker has to create chances for themselves, and for others. That he is not doing, and just never looks like doing. One goal and supposedly one assist.To be fair, it is not his fault that the one role he might be able to play, a pure goalscoerer playing off a target man, is out of fashion. Any blame there should be directed at the managerial decision to buy him.[/quote]Have to agree with all of this.Felt sorry for him yesterday as everyone had a storming game with one exception. RVW tried hard and had one of his best games in a City shirt but he looked such a bit player. He''s obviously a class striker - you only have to look at his record before he joined Norwich - but he just looks lost.It might be that if he does score a goal or two he''ll click but I think when we look back to the history of NCFC he''ll turn out to be one of those buys that just didn''t work out. It happens all the time in football. We''ve done it before ourselves. We''ll do it again no doubt.I think the only away he''d want to stay at Carrow Road next season is with a change of playing style under a new manager. A new manager seems likely so maybe we''ll get to find out.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Le Juge"]"except the wolf who was again dreadful"

A former player said that Hooper is similar to Defoe just after he''d signed, which former or current PL great would we liken Wolfy to in terms of style of play? Maybe that would help some of us understand what we are supposed to be waiting for.[/quote]I have only witnessed 10 per cent of RvW''s 1,191 minutes game time for NCFC, so I won''t say for certain he is the worst striker I have seen at NCFC since Jim Blair, but that assessment seems right to me. One argument is that we are not creating chances for him. Possibly not, although he has missed all but one of the chances laid on a plate for him.But we cannot afford the luxury of a player who is only ever (if that...) going to score goals that others make. A striker has to create chances for themselves, and for others. That he is not doing, and just never looks like doing. One goal and supposedly one assist.To be fair, it is not his fault that the one role he might be able to play, a pure goalscoerer playing off a target man, is out of fashion. Any blame there should be directed at the managerial decision to buy him.[/quote]
Possibly being provocative Purple in saying he is the worst since Jim Blair. There have been a few since then! But thanks for the reminder!
But on the whole I agree with what you are saying. Looking at his positives his work rate is good but we need a lot more from a striker than someone who can chase down the back 4. Her also has the footballing brain to take up some good positions in the box, the problem is as soon as the ball goes near him his legs and touch turns to that of Bambi.
Whether he is the player Hughton expected him to be is an interesting question. A natural goalscorer would have converted one if not both of the good chances he had yesterday. But it is not just yesterday 1 goal in 20 odd starts from the player who was bought to be your main striker tells its own story.
All that said his heart is clearly in it and I still really want him to succeed, but the problem is that team selection can not be allowed to be based on sentiment given our still precarious position in the division.
[/quote]Sussex, I was tempted to say Bryan Conlon!I think there is an analogy with cricket. At the lower levels you will get two or three bad balls an over you can put away for four. At the first-class level you probably get one bad ball an over, and you can wait for that. At Test (ie Premier League) level you normally get none. In other words you have to hit the good balls for four. To be charitable, RvW might be someone who might be able to hit a bad ball for four, but is just not good enough to score off the good deliveries.