Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Van Wolfswinkel...

"Look at the stats of every single striker at NCFC over the last 2 seasons and get off his back"

This season and last...

Grant Holt 38 apps (8 goals)

Steve Morison 22 apps (2 goals)

Simeon Jackson 19 apps (3 goals)

Gary Hooper 28 apps (7 goals)

Kei Kamara 11 apps (1 goals)

Luciano Becchio 15 apps (0 goals)

Johann Elmander 31 apps (3 goals)

Chris Martin 3 apps (0 goals)

Harry Kane 5 apps (0 goals)

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel 25 apps (1 goals)

Sorry what was the point in this exercise again? Was it to confirm that £8.5m was 100% definitely a waste of money?

Even including the cup goals against lower league opposition doesn''t prove your point Juge.

Everyone knows that Holt was a great player and was actually more suited to playing Hughtons preferred formation than any other Striker over this period (even though he hated it and left because he didn''t want to play it)

I will not try to find reasons I think he will fail especially after probably the best game he has as yet played for us.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]You know what I mean Nutty and yes I believe its Hughtons fault he has had so few chances that he still has so little confidence in front of goal.

You can of course give me the details of all the strikers that have flourished under Hughton in the last 2 seasons to prove your point.[/quote]

But you blame everything on Hoots and it makes little sense Glovey. Nearly half the EPL clubs dont have a player who''s scored more than 7. I think that reflects the dour nature of much of the football played. Getting back to Wolfy, I love his attitude and really want him to do well. But his touch doesn''t look that great to be honest. Here''s hoping....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]You know what I mean Nutty and yes I believe its Hughtons fault he has had so few chances that he still has so little confidence in front of goal.

You can of course give me the details of all the strikers that have flourished under Hughton in the last 2 seasons to prove your point.[/quote]

But you blame everything on Hoots and it makes little sense Glovey. Nearly half the EPL clubs dont have a player who''s scored more than 7. I think that reflects the dour nature of much of the football played. Getting back to Wolfy, I love his attitude and really want him to do well. But his touch doesn''t look that great to be honest. Here''s hoping....

[/quote]
[Y]

[quote user="Sussexyellow"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[Y]
[/quote]

There''s a few good first touches on here.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUL4v2xps4

I read a stat recently that our strikers get a shot on target every 127 minutes (or something like that) but hey apparently that''s the premier league for you. Can someone please tell all the other teams to stop scoring goals (it makes us look bad)

We should have bought this version of the wolf(from a BBC pre season article http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23909521) "Today''s Van Wolfswinkel is strong, takes no nonsense from defenders and

is powerful in the air, as well as a versatile finisher"

You can of course give me the details of all the strikers that have flourished under Hughton in the last 2 seasons to prove your point.[/quote]But I don''t get this "confidence" argument. He scored from his first shot for the club. He got the equaliser against Everton. Everyone loved him on his scoring debut. Half the crowd seemed to have his name on the backs of their shirts and the only challenger for his place was out for the first two months of the season. He had it all there on a plate for him. I can see he lacks confidence but I can''t understand why he would lack confidence apart from his apparent lack of ability.Maybe he just can''t take the pressure of expectation and playing in front of big crowds, but if that is the case he''s not going to be much use for a Premier League football club is he?

"Even including the cup goals against lower league opposition doesn''t prove your point Juge"

Oh so cup goals don''t matter then? 1985 was pointless and we never want to go to Wembley?

Iwan Roberts is not the clubs third all time greatest goalscorer because we suddenly need to deduct 12 of his goals?

Sounds like you will just keep changing the rules of the game to suit your argument, now you want me to treat cup goals as worthless.

Why then were so many Norwich fans irate and embarrassed when we lost 1-0 to Luton, if strikers aren''t expected to do their job in cup games?

"probably the best game he has as yet played for us"

His best was his first game, Everton at home. When he did his job which was to bury a chance when it came his way.

You were the one who wanted me to look at the stats, so why don''t we look at this one in particular:

41 shots

10 on target

1 goal

And compare it with any striker of any other mediocre lower end team, lets say Anichebe seeing as somebody used him as an example of how we could have done worse than Wolfy (LOL!).

35 shots

11 on target

3 goals

Or Shane Long for Hull, an example I used..

19 shots

6 on target

3 goals

We can keep on going if you want... Jelavic, Chamakh. It is a complete myth to say that players in these teams get more chances than our strikers, they are just as useless as us. Southampton and Villa create a lot of chances, everybody below them do not.

If we are all waiting for us to create more chances for him then sorry but that isn''t going to happen, the ones that he has missed (five or six good ones in the last couple of months) are all he is going to get playing for a team like us in this league, the problem is that he needs to start taking them, he shouldn''t hold his breathe for any more.

Two good chances on Saturday. The top strikers say that if they get two good chances they will score, Jermaine Defoe always says that.

He got two good chances, he didn''t score. They weren''t his first, he has probably had as many good chances as Hooper this season.

If you want to read too much into stats he has:

Shots: 36

On Target: 19

Goals: 5

Hooper is prolific in comparison, most importantly he gets his shots on target.

[quote user="ged in the onion bag"]I recall one E''mule'' Heskey putting in a good shift, but he was utterly useless! Just an observation! Funny old game how these inept managers see quality in a donkey![/quote]

Emile was quite well regarded in the footballing community. Not very well liked by fans but liked by his strike partners and many managers alike. He played the vast majority of his career in the Premiership so to say he was useless is wide of the mark. 

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]I read a stat recently that our strikers get a shot on target every 127 minutes (or something like that) but hey apparently that''s the premier league for you. Can someone please tell all the other teams to stop scoring goals (it makes us look bad)[/quote]

Interesting stat. I''d love to see it and how it compares with the other clubs.Could you post a link to it please Glovey?

I can''t fault Wolfswinkels workrate but he looks so devoid of confidence its unreal!

On Saturday a confident striker would of connected properly with the cross that Hoolahan put on a plate for him!

It was the same in the Man City game with that chance he missed!

He needs to get a lucky goal to get going!

Sometimes, that just don''t work out for a player and being a "record signing" can often be a fast track to despair.   Beckford was a record signing once, Coney weren''t far off, we shelled out a bit for Sheron and Thorne back in the day and neither of them set the old world alight. From what little I''ve seen, I reckon old Ricky might be another in the "thanks for your efforts and here''s a transfer request we''ve already signed for you" kind of deal, then we get a young lad more suited to the physicality of the Premier League in the summer.  Jozy Altidore would be worth a look, I reckon.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"] then we get a young lad more suited to the

physicality of the Premier League in the summer.  Jozy Altidore would be worth a

look, I reckon.[/quote]

I''d prefer Adebayo Akinfenwa to Altidore. We''d probably get enough for RVW

to tempt the Gills into parting,

3 inners who litterally wet the bed once you mention "Hooootan ooout" and here they are discussing moving on our prize asset. Come on lads, whats RvW done to you, just give him one more game guys and get behind our man ;-) ;-)HahahahaSeriously though, I dont know why your all crying, Messi would struggle to score given our set up this season. The more you guys post the more I realise you dont know or understand the beautiful game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]
[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"] then we get a young lad more suited to the

physicality of the Premier League in the summer.  Jozy Altidore would be worth a

look, I reckon.[/quote]

I''d prefer Adebayo Akinfenwa to Altidore. We''d probably get enough for RVW

to tempt the Gills into parting,

[/quote]While I can see your train of thought, though obviously not literally, that all went wrong when we let Cody go and so we can''t be doing anything with Gillingham again just because that''s clearly not meant to be.

Much as I hate to say it I am starting to think we have paid champagne money for a brown ale with regard to RVW.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Much as I hate to say it I am starting to think we have paid champagne money for a brown ale with regard to RVW.[/quote]Ahh... come on Til, that''s just sour grapes...........

Eight pages on this thread and we can safely come to the conclusion he is utter utter crap and less than half the striker that Holty was. In fact he makes Steve Morisson look like Messi

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Eight pages on this thread and we can safely come to the conclusion he is utter utter crap and less than half the striker that Holty was. In fact he makes Steve Morisson look like Messi[/quote]

Yes, Waveney, whatever........ignore the positives and just write him off..................there''s a theme on this board.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yes, Waveney, whatever........ignore the rest and just write about ME..................there''s a theme on this board.....[/quote][:''(]

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Eight pages on this thread and we can safely come to the conclusion he is utter utter crap and less than half the striker that Holty was. In fact he makes Steve Morisson look like Messi[/quote]That''s not a conclusion I reckon you can safely come to.  You don''t get to play for Holland if you''ve got nothing to offer.  There''s too many questions regarding why he hasn''t done it for our boys, but he''ll probably come good somewhere else and we''ll get a replacement who might click with the team and the strategy.

"ignore the positives and just write him off"

Let''s try and have a serious discussion then LDC. What would you do about our lack of goals this season in the summer, if you were the manager?

My answer to that is to change the manager. That isn''t your answer of course, but what is your answer? Sounds like keep the manager, keep the same players, and just hope it comes good? Is that what your plan for survival would be next season?

I personally think that Hughton should lose his job for a number of reasons, the signing of RVW included, and we should then give his replacement something to think about. Including whether he believes he can salvage something out of RVW or cash in on him and reinvest.

What would you do?

Keep RvW for next season, revert to orthodox wingers,possibly bringing snodders central unless we get superior No 10 ,give early balls into dangerous areas, and above all, lets not panic, progress will have its ups and downs. I''d rather have the exitement of the Prem than the safety of a lower league.

I have heard, in a pub !!, that Mcnally sorted the Wolf transfer and that Hughton didn''t rate him because he was lightweight

Yep, I knew those Dutch international managers didn''t know anything.

After all, what do they know, their international team is only just above us now in the international rankings.

You do not play for them unless you can play the game!

RvW had two good chances Saturday that he should have scored but there have been very few games that we have played this season when we actually went out and attacked. Much of this, I feel, was down to Elmander who seemed to be encouraging the midfield to push on and press Sunderland back.

As Shearer said later in MOTD, while you are getting chances that''s OK, it''s when you are not getting chances you have to worry.

Let''s face it, we had more clear cut chances than any other game this season because we attacked a team.

If we continue to attack perhaps RvW will have enough confidence to realise that there may be other chances coming along and not be so tense and worry so much if he misses one.

It''s all about confidence and the way we play the game.