Sign in to follow this  
MisterCarrow

Wolfswinkle doesn't offer anything

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]He has played a few games now but I don''t see what he brings to the table. He has no pace, no strength, no desire or hunger. I want him to succeed but I have no faith in him at the present time. Hopefully that will change. What do others think?[/quote]

Oh dear, you have a short memory. Before his injury when playing regularly he was strong, worked his socks off and looked quicker than any target man we''ve had in a long long time. He''s coming back from a long lay off, give him a few weeks and he''ll be back to his best. If we give him the right service and he has a bit of luck the goals will come. He''s worth 8.5 million and he''s a handfull for any centre backs.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]what is it with this site. whenever a post comes up insulting someone at the club, the name is always spelled wrong.[/quote]That should give you some sort of clue.[:D]

Ginger

"Secondly. has no one noticed how many strikers get called lazy these days? Just us, recent history. Martin. Morison and now RVW. So, how do these ''lazy'' strikers keep getting games? Perhaps that aren''t lazy and some people just don''t understand why they aren''t chasing every lost cause like Holt and warring themselves out. "

This comes up time and time again Ginger, seems to be a thing with a lot of our support, they can''t understand that footy isn''t just about chasing every ball down and running around like a demented chicken.

[quote user="Barossa"][quote user="Lavanche"]Barossa: Well I have watched almost all games he have played for us.

There is nothing abysmal in his touches and compared to Hooper for example he is in another level what comes handling difficult passes.

Lad has good technique.[/quote]Watch us against Stoke again and let me know if you feel the same. The co-comentator actually mentioned that he is a real worry because he is failing to do even the basics right.[/quote]His movement and contribution was fantastic yesterday. In that respect he''s a class better than Hooper. Only a goalkeeper in top form prevented him rounding it off with a goal.

Hughton did not help Rvw at all yesterday. I cannot believe he didn''t play elmander around him and stuck him up there on his own, he looked very isolated.

Does Rvw have the attributes to really affect a game playing as a lone striker? No I don''t think so. His movement can create space for others but it''s clearly obvious he''s more effective when others create space for him.

IMO the formation should have been set around getting Rvw on the score sheet. He needs to play off another front man. He was unlucky with a couple of efforts, was the header one he should have scored or just a great save from Stockdale? I''m not sure.

Saying that there were a couple of openings in the first half where he had a bit of space about 25 yards out, I was begging him to have a go and he looked more interested in trying to feed someone else. I remember Ashton''s debut, first 5 minutes he had taken 2 or 3 efforts from about 30 yards, never going in but his hunger and intention to score goals had a big impact on everyone. Rvw needs to get a bit more ruthless and nasty in the last third. His touch will come with match sharpness but he is very far from being a poor player.

Have a look at some videos of him playing at previous clubs just to remind yourselves we have a very talented player on our books. Just a management team who have no idea how to use him.

OTBC

looks like a simple troll post

Hooper closing down? RvW not break sweat

Ignoring his goal threat movement and touch all he has yet to bring is another goal (blame stockdale and some poor crossing for that yest)

Ignorant fans with ignorant opinions thinking they are the majority - it seems NCFC fans have taken newcastles crown for being the prem leagues most fickle this season.

[quote user="FCC"]For me he doesn''t offer £8m of something - yet.[/quote]

"Yet"  This is the point. 

Yet. 

He has played little first team football since his injury and looked good yesterday and got in some good positions and had chances to score.   With Hooper and RVW with Elmander or Hoolahan working around them (in any combination) - we should start to see more goals.  But as has been said the wide men have to sort themselves out too.   RVW, partly because of his injury, is still acclimatising. 

Always remember it does take time, some more than others, for players to get used to the premiership.I remember Didier Drogba''s first season, he could not hit the back of the net, he was substituted at Carrow Rd with ''What a waist of money'' ringing in his earI think most will agree that the following seasons he''d got used to the Premiership !

When we play a lone striker, they aren''t effective. Hooper hasn''t been effective as a lone striker, RVW hasn''t and neither has Elmander. When we play a lone striker they''re just so isolated and starved of service they are never gonna score.

It''s no surprise Hooper has looked better as part of a two up top, RVW has yet to be played as part of a two up top (for any worthwhile amount of time).

Play them both together already.

here''s a question for you... if we paid £1 million for RVW would he be class or would we have got what we paid for so far?

Our strikers (any striker) will struggle for goals under Hughton. Playing one striker can work but that demands the whole of the team to keep a close unit.

We continually have huge gaps between the 4 the 5 and the 1 and rarely have more than one in the box for crosses or to put pressure on the oppo defence.

Perhaps with the odd exception I fail to see how anyone can have a genuine critique for any of our players whilst we continue to try to operate our system, whatever that''s suppose to be.

It''s so frustrating see these talented players being reduced to playing with fear and being operated by an iPad

Some people need to upgrade their footballing knowledge to match our upgraded status.

A top striker doesn''t have to weigh a ton, sweat buckets, tackle hard, win every header and run about non stop like a wild man.

RVW''s technique, positioning and pedigree are top class and after he''s had half a chance here he will find the back of the net frequently - so long as we pass to him accurately and intelligently.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Some people need to upgrade their footballing knowledge to match our upgraded status.

A top striker doesn''t have to weigh a ton, sweat buckets, tackle hard, win every header and run about non stop like a wild man.[/quote]which is why Elmander does his job well for us... as I have said before.. Hooper scores when Elmander plays.

All our strikers have struggled under Chris Hughton''s tactics.  RVW will come good if the service improves and so does Norwich''s tactical approach.Our attacking play is slow, simple and predictable.  Strikers are starved of service.  Creative, passing midfielders are either dropped (Wes & Fox) or forced to play strait-jacketed holding roles (Howson, Fer).  Our prefered method of attack is via inverted or ''inside-out'' wingers, where Snodgrass and Redmond have struggled to get a single assist between them. It''s no surprise that strikers fail when they hardly see the ball in front of goal.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Some people need to upgrade their footballing knowledge to match our upgraded status.

A top striker doesn''t have to weigh a ton, sweat buckets, tackle hard, win every header and run about non stop like a wild man.

RVW''s technique, positioning and pedigree are top class and after he''s had half a chance here he will find the back of the net frequently - so long as we pass to him accurately and intelligently.[/quote]His "pedigree" is top class? Are we talking about a footballer or a golden retriever here?

RvW had to play in that rubbish 4-5-1 at the start of the year, scored a great goal against Everton, got injured for 13 weeks, starts a game and he''s deemed a flop?

Like other sensible posters, please watch him off the ball! Runs and runs, searches for the ball, drops off the shoulder and nobody even gives him a sniff! Only decent chance he was provided with he took it down and nearly scored!

I think hoopers been brilliant but you''ve got to remember he''s scored 2 tap ins and a penalty, they aren''t all 25 yard wonder strikes

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Some people need to upgrade their footballing knowledge to match our upgraded status.

A top striker doesn''t have to weigh a ton, sweat buckets, tackle hard, win every header and run about non stop like a wild man.[/quote]which is why Elmander does his job well for us... as I have said before.. Hooper scores when Elmander plays.[/quote]

Absolutely agree with this,

I read an interview with Zlatan Ibrahimovic who was fulsome in his praise for the role Elmander plays in the Swedish national team - essentially doing the donkey work so that he can profit.

VWW isn''t really getting it laid in front of him in the area and I only recall Fer supplying this kind of service for Hooper a few matches back. The weak links in midfield in this respect are Howson and all the wingers bar Snodgrass. But saying that, we''re often facing a fully-manned defence because our counterattacking lacks fluency.

So what we''re saying about RVW is he''s a very expensive pair of top label cool jeans that you''ve bought, but you need your mum to adjust the leg length so they''ll be a perfect fit ?.

I think it''s more of a case of buying a high quality piece of technology, but no one is trained in how to use it properly.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]So what we''re saying about RVW is he''s a very expensive pair of top label cool jeans that you''ve bought, but you need your mum to adjust the leg length so they''ll be a perfect fit ?.[/quote]No what he''s saying is if you want your new jeans to look good, it''s best not to continually put both feet in the same leg.

Wolfswinkle movement is actually very good and It''s not like any of our strikers are missing chance after chance. We create virtually nothing for them, one side we have Snodgrass who delays his delivery everytime, the other side we have Redmond who shoots mostly but his delivery has been woeful so far IMO. Add to that for some reason the midfield doesn''t arrive even late behind the strikers to support them and I think we see why we aren''t looking like scoring more than 1 goal.

The most frustrating thing is IMO all of those players have the ability but for various reasons we are nothing short of laboured attacking wise and in my opinion that Comes from setup and tactics.

At least we did not spend $12 on Jozy Altidore, althought I notice some of RVW''s biggest fans on here were the same ones pleading with us to buy Altidore. I think the lesson we can learn from buying overseas is that some adjust fairly quickly and others take time. RVW falls into the latter category.