Sign in to follow this  
AJ

When/why did you join the pink'un?

So as my post count finally ticks over to the 10k mark, it made me think about when I first started posting on here a fair few years ago.

I first posted on here in 2003, just before Christmas. I had read the forums for a while before and liked the community, the conversations and the gossip. But what made me start posting was the Huckerby transfer rumours at the end of his loan. Nobody knew what would happen after that game, but after scoring a hat-trick for us on the day before his departure, you kinda knew there was unfinished business here.

Seeing Huckerby sign was just the first of many great moments we''ve shared on this message board, several promotions (and sadly a few relegations), along with a league title and the return to premiership football. It''s also maybe slightly odd that the Hux himself now posts on here too!

So I was just wondering why you all started posting on here? What made you want to join/get involved, and what was happening around the time?

And here''s to another eventful 10k posts, I''m sure life as a city supporter will never see a dull moment!

OTBC!

Firstly well done on reaching your milestone.

I joined these message boards due to the fact I moved away from Norwich and it was and still is a useful way to communicate with fans, share stories and banter.

I''m sure you''ve seen some changes in your times on these boards but I''m sure it must be good to see the constant, we''re all Norwich fans (most of us anyway) and we all want the best for the club. We might all have different ways of showing it but hey that''s football.

This message board would be a very boring place if we all agreed with each other wouldn''t it?

Once again AJ well done on the amazing feat of 10k posts

I could see the bored look on my wife and friends faces when i started talking about our club, so decided to come on here where i couldnt see the bored faces.

Chose the pinkun as a sort nostalgia trip from when it was a seperate paper and used to play local football so wanted the write ups, results and leagues. Also WOTB gives me a headache from how it''s set out.

I came on here to improve my punctuation and spelling! This was the best option as the number of good English Teaching Forum police is second to none!

Only after the official site closed its doors, even then reluctantly as most on here are balanced with good points, there are too many who appear to want to run this board, then some who if they take a dislike attack from day one regardless of you point and last we have BW, a law onto himself.

Lurked for several years before joining, used to post on Wrath but it gave me a headache as well, plus I thought it was too clicky, then I came on here and realised that all internet message boards are the same!

[quote user="Wiz"]I''ve no idea really except I grave attention! [;)][/quote]

Freudian WIZ? Crave attention!

And LOOOOOOOONG may you do so.

I joined because I had heard what a friendly nice forum this was.

Didn''t realise the guy hated me that much[;)]

I probably joined because it was the top link in a google search for Norwich forum.

God knows why I still post after all th ''abuse'' I have had, first for spelling and punctuation (which I''m happy to be corrected on, but people used to just be mean :P). Now apparently I don''t let anyone have an opinion, despite me on multiple times saying the opposite. Oh well you can''t please everyone.

Forums on the internetnarenstrange things. How can people who all want to discuss the same thing, in this case the football club we all support be so petty, and sometimes nasty with each other.

Not sure why I started, think my Dad said he used to read it, so I gave it a go.I remember when it was, either slightly before, or just after the 7-1. That was a pretty funny day on here, the amount of ''Delia Out'' threads was incredible. Wonder where those guys are now. [H]

Congrats on 10k posts AJ.

I started reading the Pink Un on-line in 1998 (ish) when I first went to UEA. Didnt start reading the message boards until 2001 ish and started posting about 2002 on the old message board inter-face. Not many used to post on there but I do remember XXXL on there a lot. Is he still about?

Then I joined up again when the board changed to its current interface. I read regularly on here as I find people''s thoughts and ideas on tactics / new signings etc interesting, I just get fed up when each post seems to invariably degenerate into slagging off or critiquing of poor grammer (sic).

Good to see there are still a few of us old dinosaurs (Wiz etc) from 2003 still about on here.

I joined after getting really annoyed one evening over the abuse given to Delia Smith by some emotionally enthusiastic posters.

I also used to really enjoy the ''Any other business'' pages until they were ruined.

Once upon a time they were the preserve of some lively minds discussing all sorts of issues in a (mostly) mature fashion. I miss them.

I joined after reading  abuse about our club in the relegation/league 1 seasons.    I was reacting to some posters who seemed to think they were  lords and masters of the message board and anyone who opposed their negative/destructive view received serious abuse.  To me our club has always been a family/friendly club and with the official club  messageboard disappearing it seemed as if this board was the main one to be on.  But not if the loudmouths were going to get away with spouting their hate.   So I started posting as a reaction to the pinkun mafia - and received plenty of heavy and unpleasant abuse in the first few weeks.   Thankfully some of the worst offenders have disappeared.   Things are never black or white, but on the whole this board is the best place to be to keep in touch with fellow fans, particularly if you live away from Norwich.   Long may it continue.

I actually remember signing up for the website at my university website as I desperately wanted to keep up with things and was quite home sick. This really manifested itself with a zeal for City. I was at university in the United States, so the closest I got to any football was a Chelsea vs La Galaxy televised friendly !!That and I like a good forum that does not have any dicks or people with superiority complexs..... oh ... wait..............

I joined because I wanted to make the world a better place

for all, but especially for our children. I wanted to crusade against injustice

and poverty, rebuilding the shattered dreams of people humanity has forgotten.

I wanted to usher in a new dawn, a world in which any child has the opportunity

to reach the potential within them and shine a light so bright that even in

their darkest hour they know we have not forsaken them. Only when I had

achieved this mission would I allow myself to rest with the knowledge that our

next generation, and generations that follow will live in a world much better

than ours.

After the first evening of posting I decided that I couldn’t

be arsed anymore, let the damn kids sort it out I say.

Gratz on 10k

I joined the forum after lurking for a couple of years because I wanted to be part of it. I remain and continue posting because I like being part of it. It''s a great place to be with loads of good and interesting posters. If I didn''t enjoy it I''d be gone. So well done to all you who continually criticise it yet carry on posting. Your selfless commitment to the cause and the personal sacrifices you make to keep this place going for the likes of me is a credit to you and humanity as a whole...

[quote user="lake district canary"]But not if the loudmouths were going to get away with spouting their hate.[/quote]They''re all still there lurking in the sidelines LDC, just waiting (and hoping) for things to go wrong. You only have to look at the recent events regarding Lambert and Holt when many of them re-appeared briefly, only to slink off again when things were resolved. Wait until we lose two or three games on the trot and they''ll be back again in force, screaming and bawling about how they were right all along. Strange how Delia isn''t mentioned now! As soon as we lose two or three games in succession, they''ll all return, telling us how it''s all her fault and she needs to go (again). And when she does go, heaven forbid she makes a profit on her shares..........

I joined when I got fed up with the official site, but wanted to keep up with everything as I am exiled. Posted for a while, but now just browse the messages for info - to be honest I just couldn''t be bothered with responding to the idiots, all of whom know who they are.

Anyway, fair play to those seasoned posters who provide good and constructive reading, and those with the ironic Naarfuk humour - I love it.

[quote user="Indy"]

I came on here to improve my punctuation and spelling! This was the best option as the number of good English Teaching Forum police is second to none!

Only after the official site closed its doors, even then reluctantly as most on here are balanced with good points, there are too many who appear to want to run this board, then some who if they take a dislike attack from day one regardless of you point and last we have BW, a law onto himself.

[/quote]

*your ;)

I suppose I''m one of the old school posters, blimey how did that happen? I joined in 2004 because I had a really boring office job and needed a distraction, as well as being an opinionated ar*e who needs to vent once in a while. Also I genuinely feel this forum is one of the best, with a very good range of intelligent posters, as well as the occasional meat head which always makes things interesting.

As a Norfolk exile I wanted someway to stay in touch with day to day feelings and used to post on another (now long gone) board- for some unknown reason I got banned (I think I disagreed with someone with admin rights!) I then found the PinkUn and have been here ever since.

I''m another lurker, having lurked for something like eight or nine years I guess. I joined because the board where I have been a regular poster for some years has very low traffic these days and I miss having regular input. That said, those left on that board are decent bunch, never correct your spelling or grammar, and have different opinions generally without being insulting, as such I will continue to post even though it feels a bit like having a wife and a mistress as I feel I am cheating on them.

But seriously, I have finally come on here having supported our great club since 1967 because I thought it was about time somebody told me that I know nothing about Norwich City and I dont know what I am talking about, and this happened almost immediately, no surprise. Its as though having a low post count on here is the equivalent of having an Asbo or being the smelly kid at School, when infact a low poster,even one without years behind them of supporting NCFC is just as entitled to an opinion as those who proudly display many thousands of posts.

Still, its a decent board and I find some of the contributors are actually exceptional and particularly knowledgeable, I said "some"...OTBC 

I have lurked on here for years, most times i wish i had said something, but never did. Then in 05 I finally joined, as you see I dont do much, except read and lurk. Thats just me a LURKER.But i dont really care, makes no odds to me as I have been watching city since the late 50`s, I think you lot can just shoot down people who disagree with  some posters, and leave me alone, as I will just watch on the sidelines, Lurking lol

My childhood dream[I] was to be a chartered accountant[8-|] but I failed "O" Level Maths[U][:''(][W] and had to settle for becoming secretary-general of the United Nations.[H] So I joined the Pink ''Un messageboard[st][<:o)][li] in order to live out that infantile fantasy by pontificating[|-)] on football finnace as if I actually know what I''m talking about.[:D]

I joined because I was bored at work. Back then it seemed that most people who posted were bored office workers. A lot of them don''t post anymore (and I also post a lot less frequently) but I suspect that is down to them having less boring jobs now rather than any decline in standards. I almost quit in August 2009 in protest at the ceaseless negativity of some posters but thankfully a new poster rode to the rescue to rid us of the ''pink ''un mafia''. Thank you LDC you are my hero [{][U][}][:)][;)]

I joined a couple of weeks ago after looking for someone to discuss NCFC with. Then I found this place, lurked for a few more weeks and got irate at some of the posts about the club I was seeing. I thought maybe this place was for Ipswich fans in disguise, I''d be forgiven for thinking so sometimes :|

But this place isn''t all bad, it''s good to come on here and talk about goings on :]

Respect AJ. 2003 is vintage. I have been watching most years, just about every day. Despite the occasional squabbling here I enjoy the exchanges and banter. And I feel somehow at home, maybe a belonging even. Actually the same as being at any match. This place is the next best thing. People can see that I''m not the most prolific but hopefully there is some quality when I do!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I joined because I was bored at work. Back then it seemed that most people who posted were bored office workers. A lot of them don''t post anymore (and I also post a lot less frequently) but I suspect that is down to them having less boring jobs now rather than any decline in standards.   I almost quit in August 2009 in protest at the ceaseless negativity of some posters but thankfully a new poster rode to the rescue to rid us of the ''pink ''un mafia''. Thank you LDC you are my hero [{][U][}][:)][;)]
[/quote]

Wow! [:$]  Just trying to redress the balance, Shack.   There''s a positive side to most situations - but some just don''t want to see it.......................