Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

money where your mouth is Holt

so.. having thrown a wobbly to get more money... Held the club to ransome and got what he wanted Grant Holt is happy to "stay at Norwich".now is the time for Grant Holt to put his money where his mouth is.... If the goals dry up then he will be left looking very silly. Hughton has put the trust in Holt to do the business now and we know Hughton doesnt suffer fools gladly..

Grant Holt might be the blue eyed boy but it can change in a heart beat... if we get to October and he has failed to Register, or get to christmas and he hasnt hit 5 goals then questions will be asked.... West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...So, Will Holt rest on his laurels with his new contract and one eye on retirement? or will he prove the point that he was right all along?Its in his best interests...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]so.. having thrown a wobbly to get more money... Held the club to ransome and got what he wanted Grant Holt is happy to "stay at Norwich".

now is the time for Grant Holt to put his money where his mouth is.... If the goals dry up then he will be left looking very silly. Hughton has put the trust in Holt to do the business now and we know Hughton doesnt suffer fools gladly..

Grant Holt might be the blue eyed boy but it can change in a heart beat... if we get to October and he has failed to Register, or get to christmas and he hasnt hit 5 goals then questions will be asked.... West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...

So, Will Holt rest on his laurels with his new contract and one eye on retirement? or will he prove the point that he was right all along?

Its in his best interests...
[/quote]

Not really as he has now got a bumper contract with, presumably, increased wages regardless of how many he scores

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Give it a rest Jas.[/quote]

Ditto.

Grant Holt has nothing to prove to us.   He is an asset to this club and will score goals.  Its what he does.   And he will always give his best - as he always does.    No case to answer.

I think you are just trying to justify some of the anti Holt posts you have come up with over the last few weeks Jas but there is more chance of this thread looking silly at the end of the season than Grant Holt.

As much as I don''t like the timing and the public nature in which this has all been discussed, the belief that Holt will now not play as well as he can seems ridiculous.

One thing that we''ve all become accustomed to over the last three seasons is Holt''s never-say-die attitude. Which although normally has its benefits in a late flurry of goals has also resulted in the red mist descending over him. So I highly doubt that because he has now put pen to paper on a new improved contract that he will suddenly, as you say, ''rest on his laurels''.

If he goes through a goal drought, as all strikers do at some stage sadly, then so be it. Of course people will bring up the argument of ''one season wonder'' and ''we should''ve sold him when we had the chance'' etc, but that''s the way it goes at times.

Or he could score 10 goals by x-mas and be a bigger hero, but only time will tell, Or can you tell me if i will win the lottery this week, what a Sh*te post!!

Just an FYI, up until October 1st last year, Grant scored one goal, against Chelsea, and still won POTS.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]so.. having thrown a wobbly to get more money... Held the club to ransome and got what he wanted Grant Holt is happy to "stay at Norwich".now is the time for Grant Holt to put his money where his mouth is.... If the goals dry up then he will be left looking very silly. Hughton has put the trust in Holt to do the business now and we know Hughton doesnt suffer fools gladly..

Grant Holt might be the blue eyed boy but it can change in a heart beat... if we get to October and he has failed to Register, or get to christmas and he hasnt hit 5 goals then questions will be asked.... West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...So, Will Holt rest on his laurels with his new contract and one eye on retirement? or will he prove the point that he was right all along?Its in his best interests...[/quote]

Not really as he has now got a bumper contract with, presumably, increased wages regardless of how many he scores

[/quote]exactly my point.. he could easily now not give a sh*t if he wanted.... the point i made by feeling silly is that he is seen as the "darling" of the fans and i think that might be important to Holt than the success of the club...if the goals dry up then the fans will turn.

Are you seriously saying the club shouldn''t have given him one extra year on his contract in exchange for what we already know he can bring the club?

Who knows if he''ll achieve the incredible feats he has already but for the one extra year that he wanted, it wouldve been foolhardy at the very least not to have given him it.

Also you honestly believe there''s a chance he will now relax and just play out until his retirement? Have you watched him the last 3 years? He''s someone who loves to play, and to score and I can''t see that changing. After turning down the chance for more money elsewhere where he could much more comfortably wait for retirement, I believe, even if it doesn''t work out as perfectly as last season, that it won''t be for want of trying.

Jas i never realised me and you had such close thinking against the majority of the happy clappers on here. Firstly Holt did deserve 3 years however he went about it so wrongly i lost respect for him and was happy if he left the club. Yes we need him for this coming season but i don''t tolerate mercenaries. The following season i feel he will be nothing more than a bit part player if we stay up and we will get in a top striker at this point. Holty will never be loved like Hucks

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]The ultimate Jas. BW thinks like you do. Marvellous[/quote]

A bit surprised you consider that BW actually thinks. [:D]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...[/quote]When has he let us down before jas?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Bury Yellow"]The ultimate Jas. BW thinks like you do. Marvellous[/quote]

dear god nooo!
[/quote]

By their friends, so shall thee know them!!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...[/quote]When has he let us down before jas?

[/quote]i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud... he would have got a new deal in the end.. so why do what he did? it just smacks of "i''m more important"

Jas, you can''t really blame the guy, or his agent.

Absolute success last season, big support for having an england call up, 2nd top english goalscorer, 3rd running POTS award, not to mention our club captain.. no scrub that, our talisman!

And all he wanted was a further commitment from the club before he went off on holiday, so him and his family knew where they stood.

Unfortunately, in business thats not how things are done, you have to wait until the times right.

But hey, the way i see it is why he''s the player he is - he''s not a business man, he''s just a typical (northern) lad, the sort who would probably spend double on something in the high street on an impulse buy rather than perusing it on the internet for a week checking the best prices. i.e. impatient, and doesn''t like things hanging over him.

It''s just an unfortunate mix that his attitude hit McNally''s square on and tempers flared.

The only affect i can see it having is that he may try too hard next season and if things aren''t going for him and he''s taken off after 70 mins the frustration may start to show.

But then, that''s only a positive (So long as he doesn''t completely boil over!).

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...[/quote]

When has he let us down before jas?

[/quote]

i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud... he would have got a new deal in the end.. so why do what he did?

it just smacks of "i''m more important"
[/quote]

I''m not totally disagreeing with you Jas, but I believe GH will always give his best, and he (and his agent) did not handle it at all well, not thinking it through imo. What GH has done has made a rod for his own back, in as much as that when (not if) things do not go for him (all strikers go through these phases, through no fault of their own) then he is setting himself up for criticism from some quarters, which will be a great shame, as he has earned the ''Legend'' status here.

I will be cheering his goals next season (that one was for Nutty!) as it is my team that is scoring (I would cheer if anybody scores for us), but on a ''human'' basis, my relationship with Grant has been bruised (and I am suprised he did not mention that in the press conference yesterday!)

BTW, in the press conference, his body language was a very uncomfortable (must have itched/scratched all his body parts that we could see , a dozen times each!), and you could tell he just wanted to get it over with.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]The ultimate Jas. BW thinks like you do. Marvellous[/quote]Superb - I''ve been conditioning myself to avoid BW posts. Your reply Bury was the first time that I have noticed my conditioning has worked. I had to scroll back up to see if BW had posted and happy days he had but I''d subconsciously ignored it.Now if only everyone else could take the same approach and ignore his daft topics we might see the back of him, although I doubt it.

As for Holt putting his money where his mouth is I''m pretty sure it won''t effect him. He''ll be what he always has been - a menace to defenders with an eye for goal.

I have to agree with Jas. I don''t begrudge Holt the contract, but the club has a process whereby they deal with players who are currently out of contract first, with those who are in contract having to wait for negotiations and rightly so. I know his agent fuelled a lot of this but I won''t forget Holt publicly confirming on Twitter that he still wanted to leave the day after Lambert left; a real kick in the teeth - we knew he had handed in a transfer request, there was no need for him to go public about it again during a hard time for the club and its supporters. Don''t get me wrong, I''m grateful for what Holt has done for this club, I''m glad this had been resolved and I''ll support him on the field 100% but I do feel that after his antics, if he has a poor season people won''t be so forgiving.

I''m not totally disagreeing with you Jas, but I believe GH will always give his best, and he (and his agent) did not handle it at all well, not thinking it through imo. What GH has done has made a rod for his own back, in as much as that when (not if) things do not go for him (all strikers go through these phases, through no fault of their own) then he is setting himself up for criticism from some quarters, which will be a great shame, as he has earned the ''Legend'' status here.

I will be cheering his goals next season (that one was for Nutty!) as it is my team that is scoring (I would cheer if anybody scores for us), but on a ''human'' basis, my relationship with Grant has been bruised (and I am suprised he did not mention that in the press conference yesterday!)

BTW, in the press conference, his body language was a very uncomfortable (must have itched/scratched all his body parts that we could see , a dozen times each!), and you could tell he just wanted to get it over with.

I did post my own view but I think this sums up my thoughts better [:)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]West Hams offer will be long forgotten and the fans will feel let down once again...[/quote]

[/quote]

i felt a bit let down by the way he went about the contract and dragged the clubs name through the mud... he would have got a new deal in the end.. so why do what he did?

[/quote]

If by a new deal you mean a third year then, no, there is nothing to suggest he would have got that in the end. From everything that has been said and not said (including stuff from the agent that might have been denied by the club but wasn''t) one of the few things that seems reasonably certain about this affair is that Holt wanted a third year and the club didn''t want to give it to him.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"] now is the time for Grant Holt to put his money where his mouth is.... [/quote]

Holt has put his money where his mouth is.  It''s extremely likely that he''s stayed at NCFC for significantly less than he could have earned elsewhere.

Get off his back.

We just have to move on now, it''s simple as that really.Is there a question mark over his future effort? NO, as long as he has that burning desire to play for England. (which I believe he has) He''ll continue to bust a gut playing for us. No pun intended.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]

It''s extremely likely that he''s stayed at NCFC for significantly less than he could have earned elsewhere.

Get off his back.

[/quote]

This X 1000

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If by a new deal you mean a third year then, no, there is nothing to suggest he would have got that in the end. From everything that has been said and not said (including stuff from the agent that might have been denied by the club but wasn''t) one of the few things that seems reasonably certain about this affair is that Holt wanted a third year and the club didn''t want to give it to him.

[/quote]

Agreed. Holy had run out of options against a stubborn negotiator. Unfortunately, I think Lambert had also. At least we managed to keep one of them.