Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

money where your mouth is Holt

I can''t see it that way Crabby. Our last competetive game was Villa at home and Holt was performing to his usual standard. He has given nothing but his best for 3 seasons. As captain he would have been out of order if he''d disrupted the team during the season.

I wasn''t alluding to the in season bit (because Holt obviously gave his best at all times), more that he had all that time to think about it, and it came, right on the back of the Lambert hoo ha.

I know Crabby. But Lambert is responsible for his hoo ha not Holt. And Holt went public before Lambert walked.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Crabby, it''s my understanding that this stemmed from discussions during the football season. If that''s the case then rather than bad timing Holt was absolutely doing the right thing and waiting until the season ended to force the issue. To accuse him of bad timing is wrong IMO.

[/quote]Totally bad timing Nutty.He could have waited two or three days until after Drury''s testimonial. Either Holt couldn''t care less about the feelings of his long serving team mate and his big day or he was acting on the advice of his buffoon agent and got railroaded into making it public knowledge straightaway.I hope it was the latter....

Can''t agree Smithy. Holt played in the testemonial and his transfer request didn''t make a scap of difference. There''s a small window between the end of the season and everyone going off on holiday. Holt waited for the season to be over. What detrimental effect did he have on Drury? It''s even possible a few hundred more fans turned up in case it was Holt''s last game.

Has anyone considered Holt and his agent realize he''s getting close to the end of his days as a dominant force and knew there wouldn''t be much out there compared to what there is now when his previous contract expired, and this was his last chance to guarantee big money for more than 1 year?

Even if he scores 15 next year, who''s going to offer a 32 year old striker big bucks over an extended period?  A previous post mentioned we will sign his replacement during those 3 years. It''s highly unlikely he has 3 Prem years left in him and he and his agent know that.  

How the new manager uses him will affect things too.  Is more playing time going to result in more goals? His impact on games was huge when he came on after 70 minutes. Playing 90 every time might not be the answer to increasing his effectiveness.

He will give us his all, but 2 years from now, will "his all" be good enough?  Maybe not, but he will have secured what he has earned from what he has done the last 3 years with 2 of them at Div. 3 and 2 wages.

You go, Grant Holt!!!!!!! We f#*king love you! 

[quote user="and Smith must score"]Of course I''m pleased that Holt has decided that maybe the grass isn''t greener elsewhere. I''d like to think it wasn''t just about money and length of contract. Someone who scored 15 goals in his first season in the top flight wouldn''t have been easy to replace. Age is slightly against him and I''m looking forward to seeing how he performs in that all important third year ( assuming he''s still here of course )I''m just a bit disappointed how Holt and his clown of an agent went about it. Couldn''t the transfer request have waited a couple of days until after Drury''s testimonial ? And all this Twitter nonsense. It just seems to cause more harm than good,as Joey Barton, amongst others, has already proved.It''s strange how many people there were on here happily hurling abuse at Holt until Tuesday this week. Now all of a sudden it''s all gone very quiet he''s the best thing since sliced bread..... On the face of it too David McNally has been made to look a bit foolish.. Whether or not he held the carrot of an extra year as an ace up his sleeve we''ll never know. As he''s not exactly cuddly I somehow doubt it and he''s had to back down. I doubt he was too happy about that.Let''s hope that now everyone''s kissed and made up it all works out well for club and player. But I can''t help agreeing that Holt needs to hit the ground running early on in the season or the knives will be out again very quickly indeed. NCFC and it''s supporters need Holt firing on all cylinders if we don''t all want to be sweating on relegation from day one......[/quote]I agree with your post. However I do have concerns about hitting the ground running as Holt tends to start seasons slowly, as discussed on here many times at the start of recent seasons.

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"] However I do have concerns about hitting the ground running as Holt tends to start seasons slowly, as discussed on here many times at the start of recent seasons.
[/quote]

Not quite right and a tad unfair if i may say as in August and September in League One and the Champioship he scored a total of 10 goals so hardly a slow starter and of the seven games played in August and Septermber last season he sat on the bench for three of them.

He has started the last three seasons carrying an injury. He ended the Championship season carrying an injury.

Holty never makes much of his injuries. Against Watford and away to the binners he could hardly put one foot in front of the other, yet he made a marvellous nuisance of himself and laid on a goal.

Lambo needed him to play in those games and he reacted in his usual positive manner.

I wonder if Holty''s distractors would care to consult him personally on some of these unproven and frankly laughable accusations.