Sign in to follow this  
bringbackandyhughes

Why I'll never F@cking Love Grant Holt as much as I did

Whatever the outcome of this situation I will never quite see Grant Holt in quite the same light. To me Holt has been a Roy of Rovers superhero type character in out meteoric rise up the leagues in the last 3 seasons. Naively I had the feeling he was the last bastion of the old era, a player who us the fans could relate to. The nice lad done good for want of a better phrase who played like I would try to if I pulled on the yellowshirt, giving everything, winding up opposition players and fans alike and playing each week as if it was your last.

I never got the impression that Grant was anything close to a primadona he seemed down to earth, popular , a leader and someone who had come through the hard way.

For me all the above was blown wide open yesterday. If its about money then Grant and his agent should remember he signed a new 3 year deal at the end of last season and I thought he was the kind of guy who would honour contracts.

If he is unsettled in Norfolk then he should come out and tell everyone openly that that is the case but his silence is deafening currently for a man who is on twitter do much!

Again if it''s about selection/falling out with the boss some honesty from both the club and Grant should be shown instead of keeping us in the dark.

Finally if a bigger club has made an approach I could not blame him for wanting to go but he has to remember that at 31 the grass may not be greener elsewhere and I always had the impression that our Grant would not be happy sitting on a bench or in the stands for large parts of the season.

The whole situation has left a nasty taste in my mouth and even if the big fella stays, whilst ill still hold him in high regard for what hes done,I''ll never be able to sing that song with the passion and feeling that I have done in these last 3 years. Currently I have lost that loving feeling.

We''ll all be disappointed if he leaves. We''re all gutted that following the end of the season we haven''t seemed to be allowed to just let the glow of a successful campaign wash over us and look forward to the next with more additions to build on our strengths but the truth of the matter is that if players AND managers don''t look out for themselves no-one else will!

The kind of wallowing self pity and blatent selfish attention seeking taking place on our forum has reached epic proportions and really shows us up as fickle fans who forget what these people have done for us and what they have meant to us and instead of understanding that in the Premiership World no player or manager freely gives their thoughts away, that maybe not talking about their reasons is either diplomatic or just good plain old common sense escapes some of us completely.

We didn''t make Grant Holt, he did, he is his own person and deserves any success and future he can make for himself. Same goes for Lambert. If anything was going to make them want to stay it would be words of respect and support not this horrocks of an abortion forum.

Pretty much sums my feelings up there perfectly. Grant Holt is the only player I have held in as high a regard as Darren Huckerby. Growing up my heroes were players like Drinkel, Fleck, Sutton etc etc but Holty totally eclipses them all... Until now! Hucks is back on his pedestal all by himself unfortunately.

I will - still F*cking love Grant Holt!

Its only natural for the guy to be thinking of his familys financial security if it is indeed the case, though if you look at Holts spell at Forest then its obvious that Holt could go to another club with another manager with different ideas and motivational methods and subsequently Holty won''t get going!

Holt needs to think about this!

I don''t really get why people are so upset. Football is a business now, there is no loyalty anymore. Which means most teams will never see the one club man again.

Holt has spent most of his life either semi-pro or in the lower leagues, i doubt he has been able to save enough money to live off for the rest of his life. He is doing what anybody else would do if they thought they could get a payrise.

Exactly Xavi.

At the mo it''s all conjecture and he may being ill advised by his agent. He could of course negotiate in the same manner as he plays football. A scary thought for the person on the opposite side of the table....Oh hang on it''s McNasty, that levels it up a bit!!

No change of opinion from me. Holty still number one

[quote user="Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I don''t really get why people are so upset. Football is a business now, there is no loyalty anymore. Which means most teams will never see the one club man again.

Holt has spent most of his life either semi-pro or in the lower leagues, i doubt he has been able to save enough money to live off for the rest of his life. He is doing what anybody else would do if they thought they could get a payrise.[/quote]

+1

If we signed Rhodes and he played better than Holt and he did not get a game we would forget about him.

Fans are just as fickle as the players.

Sometimes you have to give an employee a pat on the back and say I cannot pay you that hand your work over in a professional manner/wait till after the big project and best of luck in your new job.

Ruddygore, yu say we didnt make Grant Holt? That is true to a degree BUT if we hadnt signed him he may well still be at Shrewsbury or somewhere like that!!! The reason people are so upset is because he has always come across as loving the club and the fans, and then this bombshell drops without so much as a word, and as someone pointed out he is a regular Twitter user so a couple of words wuld not hurt to explain why surely?

Baldyboy - respect your opinion but if I was changing jobs, and I have on occasion the only one being told anything would be my nearest and dearest, I know it''s different in football but in the scenario that he has fallen out with Lambert I could still respect PL and not have the reasons all over the back pages of the media. In the evnt I''ve had another offer or that I had to think about my last few years in the job and maximising any potential I had then I''d play my cards as close to the chest as I could. At the end of the day Grant''s responsibilities are first to his family, he should now how much we think of him and must be hurt to read so much speculation tbh as I still feel he holds us in regard. It just comes down to what is right for him and none of us have the right to think that we could choose that for him or make him show us the cards he is playing.

Grant has been a fantastic servant of NCFC, his negotiations with the club will be professional as we have come to expect and we must hope that he gets the best advice possible and that we can be happy with the resolution.

[quote user="Xavi- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]I don''t really get why people are so upset. Football is a business now, there is no loyalty anymore. Which means most teams will never see the one club man again.

Holt has spent most of his life either semi-pro or in the lower leagues, i doubt he has been able to save enough money to live off for the rest of his life. He is doing what anybody else would do if they thought they could get a payrise.[/quote]Absolutely spot on. [Y]It''s only ever been a job for him and I defy anybody to say that they wouldn''t do exactly the same thing as they are approach ''retirement''.His family and their financial security come first.

Before I get upset or cross with Holt... my view is still a balanced one and hoping/assuming the possibility that Holt has asked for a pay rise/better contract, the club unsure of what they can offer, the press get involcved and its all blown way of of proportion so it looks like Holt doesnt want to be here. My guess is August will come, he will still be here and we will be singing the same song. HOWEVER if he wants to go let him - no point having a player who doesnt want to play for the club of the shirt the they are wearing. That is not to say I wont be gutted and disapointed, its just its out of any of our hands and no point having too much of a feeling about it untill we know what is happening.

Why I''ll never F@cking Love Grant Holt as much as I did

sheesh - just embarrassing. IF he goes what is the problem? he has always lead the team with full commitment to the club & performed well. If he stay I am sure he will do the same - thats what he does. what more do people want?

Its a contract, players move clubs and any player or managers stay at the club is only ever for a short period of time.

Get real

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Why I''ll never F@cking Love Grant Holt as much as I did

sheesh - just embarrassing. IF he goes what is the problem? he has always lead the team with full commitment to the club & performed well. If he stay I am sure he will do the same - thats what he does. what more do people want?

Its a contract, players move clubs and any player or managers stay at the club is only ever for a short period of time.

Get real[/quote]^^^This.Honestly I think people have forgotten that whilst Norwich City is special to all of us, its a football club just like any other. Seriously have these people read gossip about other clubs and shook their heads and said "That would never happen here?"Grant Holt owes us nothing, we gave him money, he played his part in geting us where we are.

[quote user="bringbackandyhughes"]Whatever the outcome of this situation I will never quite see Grant Holt in quite the same light. To me Holt has been a Roy of Rovers superhero type character in out meteoric rise up the leagues in the last 3 seasons. Naively I had the feeling he was the last bastion of the old era, a player who us the fans could relate to. The nice lad done good for want of a better phrase who played like I would try to if I pulled on the yellowshirt, giving everything, winding up opposition players and fans alike and playing each week as if it was your last.

I never got the impression that Grant was anything close to a primadona he seemed down to earth, popular , a leader and someone who had come through the hard way.

For me all the above was blown wide open yesterday. If its about money then Grant and his agent should remember he signed a new 3 year deal at the end of last season and I thought he was the kind of guy who would honour contracts.

If he is unsettled in Norfolk then he should come out and tell everyone openly that that is the case but his silence is deafening currently for a man who is on twitter do much!

Again if it''s about selection/falling out with the boss some honesty from both the club and Grant should be shown instead of keeping us in the dark.

Finally if a bigger club has made an approach I could not blame him for wanting to go but he has to remember that at 31 the grass may not be greener elsewhere and I always had the impression that our Grant would not be happy sitting on a bench or in the stands for large parts of the season.

The whole situation has left a nasty taste in my mouth and even if the big fella stays, whilst ill still hold him in high regard for what hes done,I''ll never be able to sing that song with the passion and feeling that I have done in these last 3 years. Currently I have lost that loving feeling.[/quote]

I was hoping the excuse for the hugely embarrassing post above was that you are a youngster, but your talk of the ''old era'' swiftly banished that notion and now I''m left having to resort to insulting you by calling you a size 10, cum-filled clown-shoe.

Lol Shyster, you do make me chuckle.Clownshoe is very apt in this case. And one of my favourite insults.[:D]

Jesus f*****g wept, give over you prat.

Holt hasn''t earned big money during his career and he''s now 31, and has just finished his first prem season number two English striker.

He deserves a pay rise for what he has done for this club. If you had performed out of your skin for your company head and shoulders above your work colleagues and the company was vastly more successful and making more money because of your efforts would you not think you deserved a pay rise?

A lot of fans bashing Holty need to get over themselves and get a reality check. Holty''s got two years left to earn some money for his family and set him up.

After all he''s done for us do you really think £16,000 a week is reward given the season he''s had for us?

Get a grip.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Jesus f*****g wept, give over you prat. Holt hasn''t earned big money during his career and he''s now 31, and has just finished his first prem season number two English striker. He deserves a pay rise for what he has done for this club. If you had performed out of your skin for your company head and shoulders above your work colleagues and the company was vastly more successful and making more money because of your efforts would you not think you deserved a pay rise? A lot of fans bashing Holty need to get over themselves and get a reality check. Holty''s got two years left to earn some money for his family and set him up. After all he''s done for us do you really think £16,000 a week is reward given the season he''s had for us? Get a grip.[/quote]

So why hasn''t he waited until the out of contract players have been sorted out  Drury''s testimonial is over then asked for a meeting with McNally to ask for a wage rise?

Maybe £16k pw isn''t much compared to other premier strikers but we have a strict wage structure at CR, do you suggest that we should set a precedent and break it for one player?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Jesus f*****g wept, give over you prat. Holt hasn''t earned big money during his career and he''s now 31, and has just finished his first prem season number two English striker. He deserves a pay rise for what he has done for this club. If you had performed out of your skin for your company head and shoulders above your work colleagues and the company was vastly more successful and making more money because of your efforts would you not think you deserved a pay rise? A lot of fans bashing Holty need to get over themselves and get a reality check. Holty''s got two years left to earn some money for his family and set him up. After all he''s done for us do you really think £16,000 a week is reward given the season he''s had for us? Get a grip.[/quote]

So why hasn''t he waited until the out of contract players have been sorted out  Drury''s testimonial is over then asked for a meeting with McNally to ask for a wage rise?

Maybe £16k pw isn''t much compared to other premier strikers but we have a strict wage structure at CR, do you suggest that we should set a precedent and break it for one player?

[/quote]

Do we know that Holt wants to break the strict wage structure? It could just as easily be that he wants to keep his place in that structure.

As with the thread about Delia I believe that these events have opened the door for the anti Holt brigade to grind their axes.

I,m annoyed for these reasons 1, This should have been done after Tuesdays match2, This should have never been leaked to the press.3, My view is that Holt wants a move back up North and by putting in a transfer request alerts other clubs that he is seeking a move to create interest.I think he will go because he wants to go.Lets move on and have another hero.

[quote user="bringbackandyhughes Whatever the outcome of this situation I will never quite see Grant Holt in quite the same light. To me Holt has been a Roy of Rovers superhero type character in out meteoric rise up the leagues in the last 3 seasons. Naively I had the feeling he was the last bastion of the old era, a player who us the fans could relate to. The nice lad done good for want of a better phrase who played like I would try to if I pulled on the yellowshirt, giving everything, winding up opposition players and fans alike and playing each week as if it was your last.

The whole situation has left a nasty taste in my mouth and even if the big fella stays, whilst ill still hold him in high regard for what hes done,I''ll never be able to sing that song with the passion and feeling that I have done in these last 3 years. Currently I have lost that loving feeling. quote]

Probably a good job that he''s more worried about providing the best future possible for his children than what you think

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Jesus f*****g wept, give over you prat.

Holt hasn''t earned big money during his career and he''s now 31, and has just finished his first prem season number two English striker.

He deserves a pay rise for what he has done for this club. If you had performed out of your skin for your company head and shoulders above your work colleagues and the company was vastly more successful and making more money because of your efforts would you not think you deserved a pay rise?

A lot of fans bashing Holty need to get over themselves and get a reality check. Holty''s got two years left to earn some money for his family and set him up.

After all he''s done for us do you really think £16,000 a week is reward given the season he''s had for us?

Get a grip.
[/quote]16 grand a week? Yes, yes i do.

quote "jossackland''sspunkybackpack"

After all he''s done for us do you really think £16,000 a week is reward given the season he''s had for us? Get a grip. - 16 grand a week? Yes, yes i do.

/quote

Even when the likes of Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Bobby Zamora, Darren Bent, Nicklas Bendtner, Peter Odemwingie, Louis Saha, Danny Welbeck, Javier Henandez, Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge, Marouane Chamakh etc have scored less goals than Holt this season, yet probably earn 2x, 3x or even 4x times as much as Holt does?

Then there are players like Dimitar Berbatov, Mario Balotelli, Frank Lampard, Van der Vaart and Edin Dzeko who probably earn 5x or 6x what Holt earns! Yet scored less goals than him in the Premier League this season.

Yes, loyalty is a wonderful thing, and playing for your club not for the money would be admirable, but Holt''s stock has never been higher and at 31 I would not begrudge him a higher contract so he can secure the future of his family. He probably feels he deserves it as he is outperfoming some of the highest paid players in this league. I think instead of thinking "Holt needs to think more on our level, we work in offices for £12 an hour etc, he should be grateful for earning 16k a week!", perhaps we need to think more on his level? The game of football has changed, there is big money to be made, that isn''t the players fault, or Holt''s. If any of you were in his position, being a family man with a wife and 3 kids, I think you''d seriously consider making what money you could before it was too late. That extra money he could earn could secure his kids future going to University etc, and his grandchildrens future''s too!

Holt owes us nothing, we probably wouldn''t have got where we are without him so he will always be a legend in my eyes. Besides, I can''t see the club showing him loyalty next season if he happened to lose form, so something this talk of players "having" to show loyalty to the club baffles me. Norwich City FC and Nigel Worthington never showed it Malky and Iwan when we got promoted anyway!

Besides, we don''t really know what his reasons for leaving are yet anyway.

Are all the fans who''ve turned on Holt the same ones who were quite willing to ditch him during Morison''s fine run in the early part of the season?

Or the same ones questioning his form and place in the side in the early part of the Championship campaign until his hattrick vs Ipswich?

Give over guys, Players may not be loyal but the second a player has a slight dip in form or a bad game look how most of you turn on our players the second they make a mistake.

I''m ashamed of our fans all too often, from the bitching and whining at Gary Lineker on twitter every week over our position in the MOTD running order or the petty comments over media admiring Swansea over ourselves to booing our players off the pitch after the Wigan game.

More stroppy than a 15 year old schoolgirl on her first period.

Where does it stop you give Holt a payrise then Ruddy wants one, next thing you know hoolahan wants one and so on, then if things go tits next season weve got players on daft wages in the championship. He must of known how worried the fans were about Lambert going yet drops this bombshell on us. Is this someone eho gives a monkeys about the fans that worship the ground he walks on, certainly doesnt seem like it. some people are really struggling and theyre moaning because the thousands theyre on a week isnt quite enough lol its a joke and i know people will think "yeah but look a tevez and terry and lampard look what theyre on" and what do we all think about them when we hear their wage demands in the paper GREEDY c**ts!!! or something along those lines. I say thanks for all youve done holty but were not going to rock the boat for you. This clubs bigger than any one player and i cant see McNally caving in to him so f**k him off and get someone younger, weve got morison, jackson, howson, surman, E- bennett and pilks lets get a decent young striker in rhodes for example. Sell holt or threaten to sell him at least and weve got plenty of goals in this team anyway so a decent young striker or poss a more experienced championship striker would do. I appreciate this is a controversial view as we all think holt walks on water but i feel hes shown his true colours over this. Also if he got injured next season and it was a bad one let say for example if he was still here would everybody think thats it were stuffed were gonna go down blah blah blah would we hell. Let him go and build for the future 1 decnt striker whos got 8-12 goals in them and a good holding midfielder and some defencive cover and i fancy us to do well next season also.

Unfortunately Holt displays a lot of arrogance and big headedness at the training ground and lets just say the youth players aren''t too fond of him. I miss the Holt of two months ago who was an idol.

Dont know what anyone else who follows him on twitter thinks about this but i''ve certainly notived hes been a hell of a lot more arrogant on there over the last few weeks or so.

[quote user="The Young One"]I,m annoyed for these reasons

1, This should have been done after Tuesdays match
2, This should have never been leaked to the press.
3, My view is that Holt wants a move back up North and by putting in a transfer request alerts other clubs that he is seeking a move to create interest.

I think he will go because he wants to go.

Lets move on and have another hero.
[/quote]

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

He WANTS to go. He has put a transfer request in because he DOESN''T WANT to play for City anymore.