Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Is Lee Bowyer the rabbit out of the hat ?

I saw this in another thread, apologies to the person who found it first, but I thought it deserved its'' own thread.  My first impression was "Is this mischief making from our backward cousins south of the waveney ?".  Apparently the Evening Standard reported it though.  Maybe the money from Etuhu''s sale could pave the way for his signing ?  Hmm...[:S]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_BowyerIn July 2007, Bowyer was linked with a move to ambitious English Championship side Norwich City. Bowyer is interested in picking up his life and career out of the spotlight and London and sees the Canaries as the ideal opportunity to do so. His relationship with present Norwich manager and ex-West Ham coach, Peter Grant is believed to be behind his interest in Norwich''s bid, thought to be in the region of £2.5 million. The London Evening Standard reported on June 29 that Bowyer would be in talks with Norwich on July 3rd or 4th.

id be happy with him he had a fantastic start to last season he set up 3 goals in the first game! i had him in my dream team got me loads of points get him in him and watson in the centre will have the money from the sales of ethuhu and saffs

Lee Bowyer would be a fantastic signing, but I fear he''s too good for this league & will play in the Premiership next season.

Lee Bowyer is past his best.  The once young exciting midfielder, has become boring, old and lacking in imagination on the field, he wouldn''t come to us anyway,  I wouldn''t want him.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I saw this in another thread, apologies to the person who found it first, but I thought it deserved its'' own thread.  My first impression was "Is this mischief making from our backward cousins south of the waveney ?".  Apparently the Evening Standard reported it though.  Maybe the money from Etuhu''s sale could pave the way for his signing ?  Hmm...[:S]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

In July 2007, Bowyer was linked with a move to ambitious English Championship side Norwich City. Bowyer is interested in picking up his life and career out of the spotlight and London and sees the Canaries as the ideal opportunity to do so. His relationship with present Norwich manager and ex-West Ham coach, Peter Grant is believed to be behind his interest in Norwich''s bid, thought to be in the region of £2.5 million. The London Evening Standard reported on June 29 that Bowyer would be in talks with Norwich on July 3rd or 4th.
[/quote]

I could be wrong but don''t you normally have to have evidence via an external reference link to post updates on wikipedia. If you look at the bottom of every article on there you''ll see external links and references to whats been published above. Otherwise you could post anything about everything.

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

Otherwise you could post anything about everything.

[/quote]

And there you have wikipedia in a nutshell (or maybe Albert Finney really is related to Tom but I doubt it...)

Think the clue to its validty is in the use of the word ambitious...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I saw this in another thread, apologies to the person who found it first, but I thought it deserved its'' own thread.  My first impression was "Is this mischief making from our backward cousins south of the waveney ?".  Apparently the Evening Standard reported it though.  Maybe the money from Etuhu''s sale could pave the way for his signing ?  Hmm...[:S]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Bowyer

In July 2007, Bowyer was linked with a move to ambitious English Championship side Norwich City. Bowyer is interested in picking up his life and career out of the spotlight and London and sees the Canaries as the ideal opportunity to do so. His relationship with present Norwich manager and ex-West Ham coach, Peter Grant is believed to be behind his interest in Norwich''s bid, thought to be in the region of £2.5 million. The London Evening Standard reported on June 29 that Bowyer would be in talks with Norwich on July 3rd or 4th.
[/quote]

[quote] If you look at the bottom of every article on there you''ll see external links and references to whats been published above. Otherwise you could post anything about everything.[/quote]

Yep, I realise that, however, some doubt was sewn in my mind with the newspaper reference.  I checked their site, and no stories on there about it matching his name, so probably a hoax from a binner then.  Mind you, not all Archant stories reach their web-sites, maybe ?...

On purely football terms he is twice the player that Etuhu is, but he does come with rather a lot of baggage; if the rumour proves to be true (and it is as good/bad/likely/unlikely as any other) it is only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Unlikely in my view but not totally impossible as he is out of favour at West Ham and I think has some Norfolk connections. I remeber seeing him randomly on Riverside just after the news broke about his arrest with Woodgate for that incident in Leeds and he told me he was laying low in Norfolk for a while (I think beacuse he has an uncle here). I''m sur emany will say they would not want him beacuse of his past but frankly I am fed up with us being nice guys and if he improves the team then I say bring it on!

If Bowyer''s coming in, then there''s no wonder Etuhu & Safri are being shipped out. Between them I reckon that they''d have decked him within 6 months - and destroyed our wonderful team spirit.[:)]

We don''t need Bowyer''s troublesome ways, Granty. No way.

OTBC 

[quote] I''m sur emany will say they would not want him beacuse of his past but frankly I am fed up with us being nice guys[/quote]A dodgy past doesn''t seem to prevent us buying players.  If anything our location seems to attract people who are looking to get their head down and start again - Chris Brown, for example. Just because somebody has been stupid in the past, doesn''t neccesarily mean that they''re stupid now.  Most fans will support a winning team, even if the personal lives of some of that team have been "interesting".

Bowyer oftens comes fishing up round this way so has some knowledge of the area already.

Yes hes made mistakes in the past but you can hardly blame him for chinning Dyer the smug binner can you ? His other behaviour unexcusable but if he can sort his attitude out he can be a really good player.

Bowyer would be an awesome signing, his past is ... well in the past so if he was to come here we should judge him on his football ability not his past reputation. I think it would be a great signing

From The Guardian''s rumour mill column today

"In other news Charlton have already forgotten how mediocre Danny Murphy was last time they signed him, Sunderland will break the British transfer record for a goalie by coughing up £9m for Hearts stopper Craig Gordon and Lee Bowyer will need some extra-thick socks as he looks to step into Dickson Etuhu''s shoes at Norwich."

Maybe there''s some truth in this one?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

From The Guardian''s rumour mill column today

"In other news Charlton have already forgotten how mediocre Danny Murphy was last time they signed him, Sunderland will break the British transfer record for a goalie by coughing up £9m for Hearts stopper Craig Gordon and Lee Bowyer will need some extra-thick socks as he looks to step into Dickson Etuhu''s shoes at Norwich."

Maybe there''s some truth in this one?

[/quote]

Fingers crossed, Bowyer is a better player than Etuhu and gets forward more, he would be an awesome signing I just never though that he would drop down a division.

Re Bowyer : If this story is true do we really need this serial trouble-maker at Carrow Road. ?

When all the Boardroom talk is of love, peace and harmony why on Earth would we want him here ? Brilliant player he may be but I''ll bet a pound to a penny he''d soon be in the news on and off the field for all the wrong reasons.

This is one signing we definitely DO NOT need............. 

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Re Bowyer : If this story is true do we really need this serial trouble-maker at Carrow Road. ?

When all the Boardroom talk is of love, peace and harmony why on Earth would we want him here ? Brilliant player he may be but I''ll bet a pound to a penny he''d soon be in the news on and off the field for all the wrong reasons.

This is one signing we definitely DO NOT need............. 

[/quote]

The answer to your question is that, yes Bowyer used to be a trouble maker, he is older and wiser now and deserves a chance. Why should we sign Bowyer? Because he has the potential to be the best midfielder in the division - I would also suggest that Grant does not take any s*** and Bowyer will know this from his days at West Ham.

Everybody deserves a chance if their ability is of a good enough standard and I think Norwich should give that chance and it could land us the best attacking midfielder in the division.

Lee Bowyer is a trouble-maker.  Hmm.From his wiki - (backed up with sources linked)Following an incident in Leeds in January 2000, in which an Asian student suffered severe injuries, Bowyer and teammate Jonathan Woodgate

were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray.

A initial trial collapsed in April 2001 after an article in a Sunday

newspaper[4]

and following a second trial, which ended in December 2001, Bowyer was

cleared of both charges
while Woodgate was convicted of affray and

sentenced to community service.[5] Woodgate was the one who was charged, and yet Real Madrid still took him on, paying over 10 million to do so.  So you think we shouldn''t take Lee Bowyer for something that his work colleague did ?Good to see that Guilty until proven Innocent is alive and well in "Burn the Heretic" land...

I think he would be a great signing box to box good passer good tacker can score so he may get the odd red card but i would take that above somne of the dross that has been bandied about.  I would swap him for Etuhu anyday of the week....

Lee Bowyer?  YES PLEASE.    Should be a quality player at this level. 

I couldnt give a monkeys about his previous off the field activities, he has paid his price and hopefully has grown up since then.  As for lamping Dyer, good on him.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

As for lamping Dyer, good on him.

[/quote]

Nice to know we can agree about some things CJF [;)]

It would certainely make sense given Grants connections with West Ham. Plus Bowyer has family living in the area. A friend of mine use to work at the Blue Boar in Sprowston and has spotted him in there a couple of times. As for Bowyer playing for us well I think as Etuhu showed we are living in an age where the footballer is the mercenary. They show no loyalty to the club so why should we show them loyalty. What I am saying is Lee Bowyer playing for Norwich doesnt define the football club, neither does any player playing for this club anymore including Huckerby. So if Lee Bowyer can do a good job for us even with his shady past then get him in. He won''t define what NCFC is about...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]
Woodgate was the one who was charged, and yet Real Madrid still took him on, paying over 10 million to do so.  So you think we shouldn''t take Lee Bowyer for something that his work colleague did ?
[/quote]

Good post ''blah''. How many people would query it if we had been linked with Woodgate?!?