Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Is Lee Bowyer the rabbit out of the hat ?

[quote user="Cobain18"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Re Bowyer : If this story is true do we really need this serial trouble-maker at Carrow Road. ?

When all the Boardroom talk is of love, peace and harmony why on Earth would we want him here ? Brilliant player he may be but I''ll bet a pound to a penny he''d soon be in the news on and off the field for all the wrong reasons.

This is one signing we definitely DO NOT need............. 

[/quote]

The answer to your question is that, yes Bowyer used to be a trouble maker, he is older and wiser now and deserves a chance. Why should we sign Bowyer? Because he has the potential to be the best midfielder in the division - I would also suggest that Grant does not take any s*** and Bowyer will know this from his days at West Ham.

Everybody deserves a chance if their ability is of a good enough standard and I think Norwich should give that chance and it could land us the best attacking midfielder in the division.

[/quote]

Couldn''t have put it better myself Cobain. Anyway, when was the last time he was in trouble? Well worth a shot I''d say!

Go get him Granty!!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Lee Bowyer is a trouble-maker.  Hmm.

From his wiki - (backed up with sources linked)

Following an incident in Leeds in January 2000, in which an Asian student suffered severe injuries, Bowyer and teammate Jonathan Woodgate were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray. A initial trial collapsed in April 2001 after an article in a Sunday newspaper[4] and following a second trial, which ended in December 2001, Bowyer was cleared of both charges while Woodgate was convicted of affray and sentenced to community service.[5]

Woodgate was the one who was charged, and yet Real Madrid still took him on, paying over 10 million to do so.  So you think we shouldn''t take Lee Bowyer for something that his work colleague did ?

Good to see that Guilty until proven Innocent is alive and well in "Burn the Heretic" land...
[/quote]

blah your defence of the indefensible has reached a new low.  Bowyer may or may not have been the one who put the boot, in but his involvement along with several others is not in dispute.  He also has a previous conviction arising from the trashing of a drive-in McDonald''s on the Isle of Dogs in London in which the staff were racially abused.  (I was living there at the time and also worked with a close relative of Bowyer''s, as it happens.) 

[quote user="GB1902"]It would certainely make sense given Grants connections with West Ham. Plus Bowyer has family living in the area. A friend of mine use to work at the Blue Boar in Sprowston and has spotted him in there a couple of times. As for Bowyer playing for us well I think as Etuhu showed we are living in an age where the footballer is the mercenary. They show no loyalty to the club so why should we show them loyalty. What I am saying is Lee Bowyer playing for Norwich doesnt define the football club, neither does any player playing for this club anymore including Huckerby. So if Lee Bowyer can do a good job for us even with his shady past then get him in. He won''t define what NCFC is about...[/quote]

dont entirley agree with that

there are always some players who buck the trend and have the teams colour in their blood..........Huckerby, Cureton, Matt Le Tissier, Zola, Iwan Roberts, Gunny, tony Adams and those who will give everything for a club what ever happens: Dion Dublin, Roy Keane, Andy Hughes!

Would love to see Bowyer here - purely for football reasons - he''d be the best midfielder in this division. However, isn''t he now playing for his boyhood club under the manager that first gave him his chance in football (but also sold him so that may mean little) - so might not be so easy to drag him away from thr Hammers, especially now Faubert has picked up an injury.

All depends where he is in the pecking order with Parker, Noble, Mullins, Quashie, Etherington, Boa Morte and Faubert all competing for a midfield place...

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Lee Bowyer is a trouble-maker.  Hmm.

From his wiki - (backed up with sources linked)

Following an incident in Leeds in January 2000, in which an Asian student suffered severe injuries, Bowyer and teammate Jonathan Woodgate were charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and affray. A initial trial collapsed in April 2001 after an article in a Sunday newspaper[4] and following a second trial, which ended in December 2001, Bowyer was cleared of both charges while Woodgate was convicted of affray and sentenced to community service.[5]

Woodgate was the one who was charged, and yet Real Madrid still took him on, paying over 10 million to do so.  So you think we shouldn''t take Lee Bowyer for something that his work colleague did ?

Good to see that Guilty until proven Innocent is alive and well in "Burn the Heretic" land...
[/quote]

blah your defence of the indefensible has reached a new low.  Bowyer may or may not have been the one who put the boot, in but his involvement along with several others is not in dispute.  He also has a previous conviction arising from the trashing of a drive-in McDonald''s on the Isle of Dogs in London in which the staff were racially abused.  (I was living there at the time and also worked with a close relative of Bowyer''s, as it happens.) 

[/quote]

Mystic - did you really live in a Macdonalds? [*-)]

Not in my lifetime, please Delia and co.

Why would we want a thug anywhere near our team?  I don''t care if he''s Maradona, he''s been found out as a bully (London) and was lucky to get away with the incident in Leeds.  Not going to go down too well with the family club mantra is it. 

[quote]blah your defence of the indefensible has reached a new low.  [/quote]

Megson your use of a sense of moral outrage to score points off fellow posters has also reached a new low. 

[quote] his involvement along with several others is not in dispute[/quote]

If it is not in dispute, then why was he found not guilty ?

I was unaware of his previous conviction, but I have no doubt that his previous employers at West Ham and Newcastle United were.  They saw fit to persue his rehabilitation through work, rather than making him an outcast.  You would rather have him locked in a stocks and pelted with rotten fruit, I fear.

If we sign him, will you attend matches ?  If he scores, will you cheer ?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

Why would we want a thug anywhere near our team?  I don''t care if he''s Maradona, he''s been found out as a bully (London) and was lucky to get away with the incident in Leeds.  Not going to go down too well with the family club mantra is it. 

[/quote]

Our club has been summed up there nicely by gazzathegreat! Don''t sign a player who is the missing link in the middle of the park, one who could easily be the best player in the league because he has a past & it might tar our ''nice, friendly, family club immage!! If we want to be winners we have to have quality players & Lee Bowyer is certainly quality! f*** the image!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]blah your defence of the indefensible has reached a new low.  [/quote]

Megson your use of a sense of moral outrage to score points off fellow posters has also reached a new low. 

[quote] his involvement along with several others is not in dispute[/quote]

If it is not in dispute, then why was he found not guilty ?

I was unaware of his previous conviction, but I have no doubt that his previous employers at West Ham and Newcastle United were.  They saw fit to persue his rehabilitation through work, rather than making him an outcast.  You would rather have him locked in a stocks and pelted with rotten fruit, I fear.

If we sign him, will you attend matches ?  If he scores, will you cheer ?

[/quote]

Simply stating the facts blah.  He was there.  You and I both know that the justice system is not infallible.

Show me where I''ve said we shouldn''t sign him.  I just don''t think we should delude ourselves that he''s turned over a new leaf.

Your suggestion that West Ham and Newcastle were "pursuing his rehabilitation" had me rolling on the floor. 

I find violence repugnant.  What about you?

I can''t believe people are saying it was ok for him to lump Dyer - just because he''s an ex-binner.

You''re forgetting that they were ON THE SAME TEAM and in the middle of a game at the time, not in a nightclub or on the training ground.

He''s got a thuggish personality and - whether we want to ''toughen up'' or not - I have to say I don''t rate him as a person, nor as a footballer.

Seem to be three or four sources reporting the story though so....(unless they are simply feeding off each other)

[quote user="The Legend of Huckerby"]

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

[/quote]

Our club has been summed up there nicely by gazzathegreat! Don''t sign a player who is the missing link in the middle of the park, one who could easily be the best player in the league because he has a past & it might tar our ''nice, friendly, family club immage!! If we want to be winners we have to have quality players & Lee Bowyer is certainly quality! f*** the image!

[/quote]

On the same principle, perhaps we should sign Kevin Muscat?  Dirtiest player in English football for a generation, but not because he wasn''t good enough.  He just enjoyed hurting people.  Where do you draw the line?

when in Europe with Leeds Lee Bowyer stamped on another players head.

He is a trouble maker and lets face it apart froma  short time with leeds has done nothing in his career.

It will be a sad day if this sack of S**t signs for Norwich City.

jas :)

Jas, if you don''t recognise that Lee Bowyer is a quality player who would greatly improve our squad, then you are clearly blind!

[/quote]

Mystic, I share your concerns but can we afford to take a moral stand in a footballing world where any sense of morals are long gone. Take a look around, at the Tevez affair, the way a man with alleged horrendous human rights records is allowed to take over at Man City or what Leeds are up to. Nobody is playing by the rules, it''s like the wild west out there!

Can we afford to not sign a player who would probably be the best midfielder in this division purely because of things he got up to in the past?

I have no doubt that he was heavily involved in both of the incidents you describe but we have to hope that he''s learned his lesson and is keen to make the most of the chance we would be offering him.

[quote user="mystic megson"]Show me where I''ve said we shouldn''t sign him.  I just don''t think we should delude ourselves that he''s turned over a new leaf.[/quote][quote user="Peter Grant"]“I like Lee as a footballer, he has top quality. People often say he has baggage, but all the time he was at West Ham we didn''t have one bad moment with him.”[/quote]

Love him or hate him, the guy has a great footballing brain - he may be getting older, but he is still sharp and providing his aggression can be chanelled into the right area, I think he could do well for us - I certainly think PG is a strong enough character to handle him...........

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="mystic megson"]Show me where I''ve said we shouldn''t sign him.  I just don''t think we should delude ourselves that he''s turned over a new leaf.[/quote]

[quote user="Peter Grant"]“I like Lee as a footballer, he has top quality. People often say he has baggage, but all the time he was at West Ham we didn''t have one bad moment with him.”[/quote][/quote]

blah, Bowyer joined West Ham in June 2006 and Peter Grant left in October.  That''s four whole months for him to keep his nose clean.  I''m impressed.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="mystic megson"]Show me where I''ve said we shouldn''t sign him.  I just don''t think we should delude ourselves that he''s turned over a new leaf.[/quote][quote user="Peter Grant"]“I like Lee as a footballer, he has top quality. People often say he has baggage, but all the time he was at West Ham we didn''t have one bad moment with him.”[/quote][/quote]

blah, Bowyer joined West Ham in June 2006 and Peter Grant left in October.  That''s four whole months for him to keep his nose clean.  I''m impressed.

[/quote]

Aaaah, you got me. [:)]ok, so he''s done some stupid stuff, but if everyone who has been involved in a drunken scuffle on a Saturday night wasn''t allowed to work, then the economy of this country would collapse, very few people under 30 would be allowed.And he isn''t coming here anyway [:)]