Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

What is up with most of you?

How many times on here has someone written "we are all supporters at the end of the day" - is that really so?  The amount of negative angles, sniping at the club, the managers, the players, the board.  Often based on speculation, supposition and scant information.

It seems to me that an awful lot of this negativity comes from posters who are not regular attendees at Carrow Road.  If you support your club, as far as I am concerned you do so through thick and thin, for better and for worse.  We are Norwich at the end of the day and any realistic person must realise that we do not have the finances of one of the big clubs, we cannot get the cream of the players, we cannot expect to be Premiership regulars by default no matter how much we want it.  Not everything will always go our way.

OK, so we have a thin squad, but I feel that our first eleven is the match of anyone in the league.  That is something to feel good about.

At the moment we are second in the league, we are playing great football, we have some of the best players we have ever seen in a yellow shirt - if you can''t enjoy it now, you never will. If you just like to have a moan and slag off the team then maybe you are happy with calling yourself a supporter, but that does not fit in with my definition.

Best supporters in the league?  Some yes, but many no.

If you are still unsure, look up the definition of supporter in the dictionary and see if you fit in with that.

Me, I feel quite comfortable using that tag.

Cue, barrage of abuse about freedom of opinion etc etc.

Dicky has a point. Last season in my opinion people had a right to say we''re not impressed by what we''re seeing and in a lot of peoples eyes the faults with last season were down to the manager. But we''ve started this season very well and yet some are still sniping at the manager. I was one of those last season who called for change but with this new season I was willing to give the manager and team a chance and they''ve prooved me wrong. I''m happy to see them continue as they are, put it would seem some are still again Worthington being anywhere near the club. If it all goes wrong, then fair enough but at this point in time being negative about something really isn''t going to get us anywhere. I''ve probably offended many but thats the way it is.

dont disagree with everything you put, but to say our squad is think is akin to claiming that duncan goodhew has a comb-over. is so thin its damn near well invisible.

The problem is that The people who wanted a change of manager/Directors/owners e.t.c. did not get their way and will not be happy until they do! IT HAS BECOME PERSONAL with some of them and has very little to do with the current situation at the club.

I tend to agree with Dicky, yes things could be better squad wise, but last season we brought a few new players in, and played awful,  so yes we have a very small squad, but we are playing good football.

I will support City through thick and thin, but i try to maintain a positive outlook, some posters on here only post negative or very critical comments on players or the board etc, i`m sure there are some posters on here who have never posted positive comments, which i find very sad, i suppose the old addage is very true, that some people are only happy if they are moaning.

Right, that''s it everybody, you heard him. If you have any conflicting points or views about Norwich City football club don''t share them here. You''re a fan for christs sake, fans of football clubs don''t have the right to question the ongoings of their favourite club, nay, if you''re a fan of a football club you give it a considerable amount of your hard-earned cash and simply support it week in week out by getting 100% behind the board, management & especially the players and cheer them on, even in the face of adversity. [:P]

Dicky?

If we all agreed on the same things and never stated our opinions this message board wouldn''t exist.

We might have some of the best player you have seen in a yellow shirt but if that''s true for you then you have either not being going to CR very long or you need to see a Dr cos you got a memory problem. Compared to what I have seen over the years we''re shite. End of. So don''t come telling me what to think or whats wrong with me. We were once able to hold our own with the best. Now we may be playing some ok stuff compared to what we were up to last term but if you think I’m going to hang out the flags and say alls rosy in the garden you wrong. Who on here is being over negative we needed players we were promised player we got jack. So if back off. I''m not happy with the clubs return compared to my investment and I will say so.

Bring on that backlash.

I think that the one thing that can be said for certain about this season is that if Norwich continue to do well, then there will be fewer complaints, and that people who do criticise the club will have to raise their game so as not to come across as complaining for the sake of it.

Too much of the criticism has little or nothing in terms of facts to back it up.  It''s the nature of fans that we are not in possesion of all the facts.

Concerns about the lack of squad depth are understandable, other concerns like Chris Sutton or Danny Crow (name your favourites here) are just flags of convenience for the usual suspects to knock the club. 

This is a shame because any meaningful debate about the way the club is run is often knocked off the board by people who are complaining for the sake of it (or in my case replying to people who are complaining for the sake of it).

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I think that the one thing that can be said for certain about this season is that if Norwich continue to do well, then there will be fewer complaints, and that people who do criticise the club will have to raise their game so as not to come across as complaining for the sake of it.

Too much of the criticism has little or nothing in terms of facts to back it up.  It''s the nature of fans that we are not in possesion of all the facts.

Concerns about the lack of squad depth are understandable, other concerns like Chris Sutton or Danny Crow (name your favourites here) are just flags of convenience for the usual suspects to knock the club. 

This is a shame because any meaningful debate about the way the club is run is often knocked off the board by people who are complaining for the sake of it (or in my case replying to people who are complaining for the sake of it).

[/quote]

[quote user="shyster"]

Right, that''s it everybody, you heard him. If you have any conflicting points or views about Norwich City football club don''t share them here. You''re a fan for christs sake, fans of football clubs don''t have the right to question the ongoings of their favourite club, nay, if you''re a fan of a football club you give it a considerable amount of your hard-earned cash and simply support it week in week out by getting 100% behind the board, management & especially the players and cheer them on, even in the face of adversity. [:P]

Dicky?

If we all agreed on the same things and never stated our opinions this message board wouldn''t exist.

[/quote]

well said, support should be like belief!!  you shouldnt question it!! [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Thats the impression I get from these boards too, people attack the club for anything and everything. Some people have what seem to be personal issues with the manager and/or coaching staff, some have what seem to be personal issues with certain players, then theres the ticket office staff and of course the people who run the club and arrangements made for travel to away games, anything to find fault!

I agree with what Dicky has to say...I think the problem is that the transfer window closing has become an event in itself, its hyped up by the likes of SSN and other media, and we as football fans have got caught up in the excitement....who will we sign....who will go...how late will things happen...many of us spend that day every few minutes looking around the various websites seeing if there''s any news, clutching at every rumour etc...and to not sign someone feels like waking up on Christmas morning with no presents to open.

My opinion is first 11 is as good as anyone, but an injury or two and there really is nothing to come in of the same quality (Earnshaw, Safri, Croft and Drury in particular).

I''m actually relieved we missed out on Cotterill (2 mill is a rediculous amount of money for an 18 year old with no experience at this level) and from the brief glimpse against the Czechs looked a bit too much in stature and style like Chris Llewellyn for my liking. And with deals such as 2.5 million for Kuqi maybe loans do represent the best value for money at this time. The concern is if we get an injury can we get someone in quickly and of the right quality, I''ll guess we''ll have to see.

Actually there are people who slag off the club at every opportuinity and there are those who will support and blindly follow everything the club do. In between those extremes sit the majority, and many right at the centre who may be easily swyaed by one or two good results. Its not dissimilar to the political spectrum.

It is facile to make simplistic statements that everybody who slags off the club has no supporting evidence and revel in misery and personal vendettas as it is indeed to state that those who believe that everything is rosy have no such evidence to support their views. It is not the nature of the belief that drives whether someone is making a valid point or not, it is the extent of the reasoning and debate.

By the way you will also find supporters who sit in their season ticket seats with their programmes and wearing branded merchandise who don''t seem to get any enjoyment at all from the experience. They shout and moan and leave early and you wonder why they go. But they still spend their money and I guess they have a right to not enjoy just as I prefer to enjoy (where possible). Maybe they go to the theatre a lot and don''t like the quality of the acting either.

Just as there are people who will see one result as a reason to start loving Worthy there are those who will need a season to do so. A decent start is for many a positive step but we also need some long term hardcore evidence before banishing to history some of the the concerns many have held over the last few years.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

well said, support should be like belief!!  you shouldnt question it!! [;)]

[/quote]

That would suit some people on here, wouldn''t it. If you call yourself a supporter, act like one ffs.

I agree with most of what Dicky and others have said.  There is far too moaning for the sake of it and I get extremely tired of it. 

As for the supporter element - I can not brand anyone a "non" supporter.  Although I don''t agree with a lot of the OTT rants regarding our small squad and other things, I can understand where the concern comes from, even if it verges on irrational.  If people can''t understand that others frustration comes from a passion for NCFC then maybe they should rethink their take on what being a "supporter" is about?

This is a bit on the philosophical side for a Monday morning, but Dicky''s post raises the issue of what this message board is for.

Some of what appears on here is no better or worse than a pub conversation on a Saturday night.  You could argue that that''s where it belongs, not on a public forum like this.

Imo it''s at its best when it passes on hard info to exiled fans, 

raises real issues of interest or concern especially ones that haven''t surfaced elsewhere, 

offers an alternative to the CR spin machine, 

provides an outlet for frustration or elation, and a little bit of comedy. 

It''s a fanzine in cyberspace in other words. 

It''s at its worst when it becomes repetitious or descends into personal vilification and scapegoating of players, management or other fans.  That includes people who can''t defend their own point of view without calling other posters ignorant or stupid.  

How do you see it?  Is it a cyberpub?  An instant fanzine?  A virtual supporters club?  Or . . .?

Well said tumbleweed, couldn''t put it better myself. Its seems these days that your are not allowed to say anything negative, without being branded anti-club, a bad supporter, Worthy out etc etc. Now I don''t condone the mindless constant negativity, before anyone says something, but niether do I condone the other side of the spectrum. Let be honest it wouldn''t be much of a message board if we were just positive and agreed all the while, just be full of "Everythings OK" posts. I am and always have been firmly in the middle, I congratulate the club for basically turning it completely around with brilliant performances but in the other hand I am dissapointed with the poor showing in the transfer market.

Everyone supports Norwich in their own way and who are you or me to try and tell them how to do it?

Tumbleweed and Mystic have it spot on.  Most of us sit in the

middle of the extreme views, and have our moments of extreme negativity

but also moments of absolute elation and positivity.

If we all agreed with each other, what would be the point of the forum??

Why should we not have pub talk here?

What on earth does scapegoating of players mean?  If I think a player is rubbish, and that player is being discussed I will say he is rubbish (ala Clint Easton - he was crap and appears to have found his level), If I think his performances in the shirt are having a severe detrimental effect on the side I will have my opnion (ala Andrew Hughes). And if I see a player giving nothing and disgraceing the shirt (ala Dickson Etuhu last season) I will probably get angry about it.  On the flipside if a player improves, shows effort or impresses they will receive the praise they deserve.

Its a place for you to have YOUR OWN VIEW on the current events around norwich city football club.  To talk about the canaries.  to pass on rumours and information surrounding the club you may here (I have had the P*ss taken for passing on information which has subsequently turned out to be true - mccleod and sibierski interest for example).  In fact my mate Paul was ripped to shreds for saying that he had heard Danny Crow had a bad attitude.

As for the moaners - some people like to moan, and often they have a point. My glass is half empty.

I see it as a cyberpub (and a good place to have an argument when I feel like letting off some steam).  WIth all pubs you have some cool people (zipper, mello, rudolph, beelsie, mystic) and you have some less cool people (Ralph).

Worst thing is you get people on here whom have a go at fans for not supporting their team, because they discuss the relative merits of players.  Discuss how they think the season is going, say they still arent entirely happy with the setup.  The supposed anti club-brigade include NCISA, Richard Balls, Steve Gedge, Kevin Piper and anybody else whom expresses concern about anything going on at carrow road. It even included Darren Eadie last season!

I also here some are better fans becuase they go to Torquay away!!  I have never called any fans on here less of fans no matter what their viewpoint or how many games they go to, be it Beelsie and his Pro Manager stance, Wiz and his anti board stance or Zipper and his common sense stance.

ITS LAUGHABLE that people get in their high horse like the original poster and accuse supporters who are 100% behind their team on match day of not getting behind the team, due to what they write on here and having an opinion.  Just cos I think Hughes is crap does that make me and at least half of our fans anti club (and my friends Neil, Jim and John must be anti Reading cos they thought he was crap).

Anyway as I keep my pre season stance: Top 6 or else it was a terrible mistake to keep Worthington.

[quote user="Dicky"]

If you are still unsure, look up the definition of supporter in the dictionary and see if you fit in with that.

[/quote]

Supporter: a person who backs a politician or a team.

Nothing about blind faith in there, so YES it would appear I am a supporter of Norwich City Football Club!!  [:D]

Anybody else whom posts on this board a supporter then?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Supporter: a person who backs a politician or a team.

Nothing about blind faith in there, so YES it would appear I am a supporter of Norwich City Football Club!!  [:D]

Anybody else whom posts on this board a supporter then?

[/quote]I found exactly the same definition (see link), I''m a supporter too [:D] !http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3Asupporter&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

" a person who backs a politician or a team."

surely a missing letter l in there methinks

if constantly rooting around the internet to find something that can be twisted to disparage the club is termed being a supporter thank god we didn''t have those kind of supporters in the last century

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" a person who backs a politician or a team."

surely a missing letter l in there methinks

if constantly rooting around the internet to find something that can be twisted to disparage the club is termed being a supporter thank god we didn''t have those kind of supporters in the last century[/quote]LMAO

A football club is a many faceted organism. It''s possible to have a different opinion on different aspects. I was nowhere near as critical of last years hoofball as some, because in my opinion it was merely symptomatic of the players we had playing at the time (selected every week regardless of form). The selection was something I did get on my high horse about. The lack of activity in the last two transfer windows is another thing that gets my goat. Worthy''s "anti-fans" comments as some perceive them, don''t bother me at all. He seems like a decent bloke trying to defend himself tactfully in the face on constant onslaught of which only some of it is fair so it''s inevitable that occasionally he''ll slip up slightly and those who want to vilify him at every turn will take the opportunity of the occasional poorly worded reply to brand him "anti-fan" and "arrogant". Do I think he should have gone last season? Yes. Do I think he''ll prove me wrong this season? In the long term, no. Do I think the team are doing well at the moment? Yes. Do I want Worthington to turn things around and prove me wrong? Yes.

Quite whether I match up as a "supporter" I don''t know. I''ve had a season ticket for over twenty years and never once thought of not renewing, but I''m not always blindly smitten by the club in its every move so I doubt I match up to Dicky or Ralph''s ticklist of "Must-Be''s".

Somehow I''m not sure that they would match up to my definition either.

[quote user="city r us"]The problem is that The people who wanted a change of manager/Directors/owners e.t.c. did not get their way and will not be happy until they do! IT HAS BECOME PERSONAL with some of them and has very little to do with the current situation at the club.[/quote]

I agree. This is the key to it. For some in here their personal feelings about Worthigton override the fortunes of the club. Those, for example, that became actively involved in the  "Worthy Out" campaign and organised the forged petition feel that to back down now involves them in a huge loss of face.

Whilst some have been big enough to admit it, others have said that they will never support Worthington, irrespective of our fortunes on the pitch.

I have other varied interests as well as NCFC.

Flower pressing, knitting, tea dances, bridge school, gardening, campanology, cro''chet, sewing classes, crown green bowls, lawn tennis, drinkin'' heavily, chain smokin'', projectile vomiting, heavy gamblin'', moshin'' at grunge gigs, clubbin'', socialisin'' wiv the luvverly laydees, fightin'', spittin'', scratchin'' - and on the odd occasion watchin'' classy lapdancin'' lasses! An'' I''m only in my mid-forties!

Unfortunately, with my rather hectic social life, and my restricted slightly limited social benefit finances coupled wth my long-term incapacity, of being unable to rise before noon from my pit; I find it somewhat difficult to give 100% to supporting Norwich City. I''ve explained to my missus and kids - that something has got to give..........So, they''ve suggested that I relinquish my flower pressin'' and maybe the tea dances & knittin'' & bridge & gardenin'' & bell ringin'' & cro''chet & sewin'' & bowlin'' & tragically the tennis. Which is a huge sacrifice, but, being a mature adult - one has to make these sensible decisions if one wants to be classed as a ''true fan''........ 

Now, what was the topic about again?[:^)]