Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

A strange question to all the posters old or new!

A strange question but here we go.

Is Norwich your first choice football club or the only club you support? Meaning,is there a poster out there who originally,may have come from London or somewhere up north or anywhere for that matter but has moved down here in norfolk & have adopted City as there team?

The reason i ask is because i was talking to someone the other day & he regulary posts on the pink un board but is infact a gooner!

Anyone else?

Norwich City through and through.

I do have a slight soft spot for Man City as my folks hail from Manchester.

I grew up about 5 minutes away from Tottenham Hotspurs ground and went to a few games believing myself to be a Spurs ''supporter'' (I even sang Christmas carols 2 years in a row before games with the school choir - how cool?!)

However, when visiting my Grandparents aged about 6-7, my Grandpa took me along to a Norwich match (against Luton I vaguely recall) and walking into the stadium from the stairwell I looked down at the pitch, bathed in light, and was struck by the electrical atmosphere which eminated around the stadium. To this day, I have never looked back and count myself as a Norwich fan through and through, despite the mickey-taking that I have received when living in London, Lancaster and now Manchester. To date I have only lived in Norwich for about 5 months but am enthralled by the City and will definitely be returning.

Not sure if it answers the original question, but I thought take this opportunity to share my Norwich-related Epiphany with you all...

I hail from Nottingham [same lousy  estate as Hucks ! ]   was sent here by the firm I worked for 8 years ago  ,   liked the more laid back lifestyle  here  , and told the firm to stick it  when they told me to return !    and Norwich IS the team I support !!   but you don`t forget your roots ......

a great question not a strange question ,how can someone support a team but have a soft spot for another well come on own up.

this is a first class question twosheds.

I didn''t make a conscious decision to follow City.  They stole my heart in ''59 and never gave it back.  

My dad wasn''t much of a footie fan, despite (or perhaps because of) his uncles'' attempts to introduce him to Leyton Orient.  But I''ve got a soft spot for the Os.  I''ve only been to Brisbane Road once, on that historic night in April 1972 when Duncan Forbes & co clinched promotion to the top flight for the very first time.

I expect to be shot down in flames for this reply

Despite the Bly mentioned in my username being my uncle I started life as a Chelsea supporter, based on liking the kit as a 7 year old. However I grew up in Norfolk and had far more oppotunities to see City than any other team, I suppose you could say that they were my second team.

However two things happened. My son was born, and was given a City kit by his grandad. This led to more and more trips to games and much more importantly a reason for caring about the result, as anyone with a disappointed 7 year old will know. On this subject the worst part of the cardiff defeat wasn''t the result as such, but the tears of my son on the walk back to the car

The second thing that changed was Chelsea. Once they were just another side who goit relugated and promoted, and maybe had a good cup run. Something in me much prefered this to the non stop jugernaut that they have become

So now I support City, although many of my friends also consider me a Chelsea supporter and I like to see them succeed. Norwich is the result that matters now

Let the character assasination begin

i live in islington, north london, land of the gunners, both old and new stadiums are a stones throw away from my house. I have always supported norwich as my dad was born and raised there.
The only other club i have a soft spot for is celtic as my mother''s father supported them (i just look at thier results)
by rights i should be supporting arsenal but i made my bed at an early age and now i must lie in it.

[quote user="king of latvia"]

how can someone support a team but have a soft spot for another well come on own up.

[/quote]

Easily.

As I said, my parents and extended family are Man City supporters

traditionally, so providing we''re not playing them I tend to wish them

well.

If we''re playing them however, the desire to "get one over them" is

greater than for most other sides, for bragging rights with my uncle

mostly.

I have a deep dark secret, untill now only a few people know.

I was born in Ipswich and lived there for the first 8 years then moved to Halesworth which is still in Suffolk for some people, but  I have been supporting the Norwich since I was 8 due to my old mans family coming from Norfolk.

Moved to London when I was 17 and still go to the games, although I did have breif stays in Notts, Lake District, Glos which has cost me a fair bit of petrol.

Mine is very simular. I started life living in London,my dad being a Fulham supporter,all my relatives were West Ham. My dad took me to see Fulham against Aston Villa & of course he was hoping i would end up a Fulham supporter. Tough luck dad,that didnt work,i prefered the colours of Villa (i was only 4).Ever since that day i was a Villain right up until about 25 years ago when we moved up to norfolk.Dad liked his football so much we went to every home game & quite a few away games for many seasons gradualy leaving faint memories of my beloved Villa. So of course know one ever took the piss out of me being a londoner supporting a brummy team living in Norfolk! I wear my City shirt with pride & also wear my Villa shirt with pride. What do i do when they are playing eachother? Simple,hope for a draw unless important points are needed for either of them. SO the same as Bly,i am a City supporter through & through but still hold a big passion for the Villa!

[quote user="Anderz"]

I grew up about 5 minutes away from Tottenham Hotspurs ground and went to a few games believing myself to be a Spurs ''supporter'' (I even sang Christmas carols 2 years in a row before games with the school choir - how cool?!)

However, when visiting my Grandparents aged about 6-7, my Grandpa took me along to a Norwich match (against Luton I vaguely recall) and walking into the stadium from the stairwell I looked down at the pitch, bathed in light, and was struck by the electrical atmosphere which eminated around the stadium. To this day, I have never looked back and count myself as a Norwich fan through and through, despite the mickey-taking that I have received when living in London, Lancaster and now Manchester. To date I have only lived in Norwich for about 5 months but am enthralled by the City and will definitely be returning.

Not sure if it answers the original question, but I thought take this opportunity to share my Norwich-related Epiphany with you all...

[/quote]

Anderz, please don''t say the Northumberland Park estate. I have to patrol that and other parts of Tot. If you did live there sorry if it offends you.But Tot is not a nice place. anyway I don''t mind watching the Spurs sometimes.

Must confess to being a West Ham fan as a kid, strange logic but it was do with me winning a 50p bet off my aunt after the West Ham vs Arsenal FA cup final in 1980, that was big money back then! well it was for an 9 year old. I was living in Norwich at the time although from Hampshire. I continued to support the Hammers but did watched some Norwich games. It wasn''t until I left Norwich a few years later that I realised that I had more than a soft spot for them and have supported them ever since. I think sometimes you do not want to support the team where you live, you want to be different, so once I left Norwich and moved to Yorkshire it became more unique to cheer on the city. I am now a fan for life and continue to support them whereever I live, currently loughborough.

I have also converted my girlfriend (who is French - not her fault) to support then, this was quite a challenge and took over 10 years but now she is a "proper fan", she even understand the offside rule!

I''ve always supported Norwich since I can remember, but as my home town is Nottingham I''ll always have them as my second team. Personally I only started being really into the game at 13, as a child you don''t really fully understand what the fuss is all about until you''ve grown up but that was probably just me lol [:P].

When in my early years of Primary School, my best friend got me into football, he supported Liverpool and at the team I didn''t have a team that I supported so I supported Liverpool but not seriously. As I got older, I talked to my Grandad (Massive Norwich Fan) and he introduced me to Norwich. As i got older and wiser, I supported my local team (This was in my late primary school years) and i''ve supported Norwich even since but I still like Liverpool but not as much as I used to!

Norwich is No 1!

Having just finished my uni course in Nottingham I do have to say I look out for Forest''s results whenever I flick through the paper on a Sunday morning just because I lived there and experienced their demise in the three years I was there from which they''re only just getting back on track from.

Living near Southampton, I have always supported Norwich!?!?!  I used to like their kit and badge in the old Panini Sticker albums. I was a radio and teletext fan for years  until I got the chance to watch Southampton vs Norwich in 1992 I think, we lost 3 nil but I was hooked.  I then decided to go to UEA in 1993, so I could go watch Norwich play!!

Good timing really as I got to see Norwich play Bayern Munich and Inter Milan at Carrow Road, and then went to see Inter in the San-Siro!!

Born in Norwich moved out to the sticks near King''s Lynn in 1933, NCFC have been my sporting love ever since.

I was seven when we settled in Norfolk after years moving around RAF bases I saw my first live game at CR and was hooked. I also follow Gladbach in the Budesliga as I was born at the military hosp. near there. I''m qualified to play for any of the British teams, still waiting for the call from Toshack, Smith, Lawrence or MaClaren!

norwich fan from a strange base of up in the north east, lived in a place in between newcastle and sunderland and rather than get involved in all that local rivalry, started supporting another team. Saw Norwich on tv when I was seven or eight, played nice passing football, nice colours, I was hooked. It was them or chelsea, still no regrets huh:)

born in east london (a real cockney actually)

since i was about three my dad took me down white hart lane every match ( on his shoulders in those days )

he played for spurs supporters team, won a medal and I got to meet all the spurs players too !!

oh, I''m old enough and and priveliged to have seen all the best players from from the 1966 era. 

have moved a few times, but always support (ie attend and pay good money) for my local club

eg seeing the hammers and spurs at roots hall for friendlies

having moved to Norwich and grabbing our seasons tickets a few years ago

the best prem teams players when we were there at Carrow road

So...

Spurs to shame the gooners, Canaries go !! 

i was originally a man u fan (they were the first team i heard of ) then i got a city goalie shirt the 1 from 96 (when i was 6) and since then i''ve brought every home shirt since, however i went through a spell where i liked other clubs aswell ie fulham and notts forest however since about 3 years ago i''ve only followed norwich

So looking back at the replies,there is a large majority of non born norfolk people on here posting & supporting city!

Norwich to the Core

the only other team i look out for are Basingstoke Town due to having family down there... i actually have a shirt, its blue and yellow and is actually a very good material, the fit is much better than Citys shirt even. Its this seasons "Centerprise" shirt.

I have also seen their stadium but have (probably thankfully given the hoofball nature of Conference south) Avoided seeing a game at the Camrose.. so far!

a fact that might interest some of u, Graham Benstead was Basingstokes keeper in 2000, played in an FA cup win over Wycombe, and holds the unwanted record of being the only Goalkeeper to be beaten by another keeer from open play (not from a corner that gets bubled in or a penalty etc) in the FA cup vs Dagenham and Redbridge. Tony Roberts went up for a corner in the last minute at the Camrose and stayed up, during a huge goalmouth scramble the ball came to Roberts on the edge of the area and he fired it in! an unwanted Basingstoke Record and one that wont ever be beaten id wager.

jas :)

Norwich born and bred. Have moved around country with work (mainly South East) but still get back for games (except midweek). Everywhere I have been there have been City fans in similar situations. Loads of fans travel from away to go to games.

Essex born & bred, brought up to be a Tottenham fan, started

watching them fairly regularly in the 60''s, but then started to watch

Southend & became a season-ticket holder for years. Lost  a

bit of interest in football in the late 70''s, took up another

competitive sport, but moved to Norwich in ''92, got taken to Carrow

Road & got hooked.  Season ticket holder ever since, moved to

Birmingham  for 6 years & didn''t  always travel back

for  home games, enjoyed watching Walsall. So now for me its City,

Southend, Tottenham  & Walsall, in that order. I love City, I

love football, I''ll watch anyone.

I ashamed to say my first game watching Norwich in the early 80''s, I wanted them to lose!!!  I was actually supporting Everton (i had relatives in Liverpool although i was born in Norfolk).  It only lasted a year though and have been City through and through since.  Stuck with them even though I lived in the Midland''s and up North for a few years (found the local supporters where i lived a nasty bunch) and then have had a season ticket at Carrow Road since I moved back in the late 90''s.

My only other allegiances are Cagliari from the Italian Serie A due to Italian roots.  Also keep tabs on the Norfolk sides such as Kings Lynn, Wroxham, Diss, etc.  Love football generally and visiting grounds but have no other major soft spot for anyone.

Briefly followed Bristol Rovers as I lived next to the stadium for 3 years when at uni.

Other than that my only other team is NYR but that''s ice hockey...