After the Webber shambles last time round the Board will almost certainly have told Knapper to have someone in place before Wagner was sacked. To keep it private that can only be someone Knapper knows and trusts. 

There’s some logic there - but I would hope Knapper has a wider address book than just Arsenal contacts!

Acting quickly as we have certainly suggests someone is lined up - I’m not totally sure Cuesta would be my choice, it is a huge step for what could be a bit of a rebuild, but it would be an interesting one.  Hopefully whoever it is is one that we can all get behind from the off (for once).

As I said on another post BK said continue due diligence. That suggests someone is imminent.......possibly after Arsenal's last game

It's a little embarrassing as it's clearly as attempt at replicating them down the road. And this guy has an even more impressive CV than McKenna and is clearly massively intelligent (speaks half a dozen languages).

I'm excited by the prospect, but equally aware it could end up being a total disaster. We've some proper arrogant people in our squad (people don't like to hear it but I've heard it directly from someone who has dealt with the first team that Duffy and McLean are, and I quote "total ******" in his experience). How are people like that going to react to a 28 year old telling them to stop being so ****?

• Like 1

Cuesta's the obvious shout due to the Arsenal links and desire for a similar style of play, not to mention his background. Whether it is him is another story.

If it is him, I'd like to see if he can persuade a few promising youngsters leaving Arsenal as they couldn't quite get the break there, to come and join us instead.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

We've some proper arrogant people in our squad (people don't like to hear it but I've heard it directly from someone who has dealt with the first team that Duffy and McLean are, and I quote "total ******" in his experience). How are people like that going to react to a 28 year old telling them to stop being so ****?

It's really not about whether or not they 'like it', is it? 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

After the Webber shambles last time round the Board will almost certainly have told Knapper to have someone in place before Wagner was sacked. To keep it private that can only be someone Knapper knows and trusts. 

Or it could be the other way round and  Knapper told the Board we need a continuity plan after the last few disasters 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's a little embarrassing as it's clearly as attempt at replicating them down the road. And this guy has an even more impressive CV than McKenna and is clearly massively intelligent (speaks half a dozen languages).

I'm excited by the prospect, but equally aware it could end up being a total disaster. We've some proper arrogant people in our squad (people don't like to hear it but I've heard it directly from someone who has dealt with the first team that Duffy and McLean are, and I quote "total ******" in his experience). How are people like that going to react to a 28 year old telling them to stop being so ****?

McKenna got rid of them. 

People who are a bit thick run a mile from people with a brain because they don't like being made to look stupid. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I don't think it is an Ipswich specific thing though- we're seeing more and more clubs preferring taking a shot on young, progressive coaches rather than the experienced managers- Rohl at Wednesday, Carrick at Boro, Cleverly at Watford etc. 

If it is Cuesta, or even if not - given Knapper’s Arsenal connections, should we sell Sara then Charlie Patino on loan (or a perm if we can afford him) next season would be a great move. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A sporting director in whos never done that job before hiring a manager whos never managed a first team before.

Interesting approach.

or we could get Webber and Wagner back both done it before and look how we ended up 

will be interesting but Knapper and Cuesta will have fresh ideas 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think it is an Ipswich specific thing though- we're seeing more and more clubs preferring taking a shot on young, progressive coaches rather than the experienced managers- Rohl at Wednesday, Carrick at Boro, Cleverly at Watford etc. 

It's where it's worked best, sadly.

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

How are people like that going to react to a 28 year old telling them to stop being so ****?

Like Roy Keane you mean?

19 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

McLean will be an easy one, give him the armband.

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not an attempt at replicating the scum at all. We did it with Lambert and to extent, Farke.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

McLean will be an easy one, give him the armband.

No thanks, give him a free transfer more like.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

what a load of TOSH 

we was bringing in top level coaches from big clubs with Daniel years before them 

4 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Not an attempt at replicating the scum at all. We did it with Lambert and to extent, Farke.

1 minute ago, Paul101 said:

what a load of TOSH 

we was bringing in top level coaches from big clubs with Daniel years before them 

Strange that it needs saying, but both Lambert and Farke both had managerial experience prior to us appointing them. They are not similar appointments to McKenna, and should we get him, Cuesta.

Both fairly limited managerial experience before us (especially successful ones) and both had to work with very limited funds.

Went the direction of a sporting director when Farke appointed.

Both also had a different playing style to our recent appointments.

I love all this it must be Cuesta as though people know what he’s like 🤣🤣 

Just cos he’s worked at Arsenal he must be great right 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I love all this it must be Cuesta as though people know what he’s like 🤣🤣 

Just cos he’s worked at Arsenal he must be great right 🤣🤣🤣

Was about to say the same thing but I guess Knapper would have worked relatively closely with him so will know what he's like as a person, on the training pitch and how "involved" he is with Arsenal games/strategy/plans etc

24 minutes ago, 7HAR1980 said:

No thanks, give him a free transfer more like.

Give our player of the season a free transfer? **** off! 

• Like 6

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Rangers for a couple of million will do though 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A sporting director in whos never done that job before hiring a manager whos never managed a first team before.

Interesting approach.

Who has been getting all the qualifications, worked with Athletico Madrid & Juventus youngsters and was personally appointed assistant manager, at the age of 25, by Arteta rather than a guy sacked twice before, who's only success was getting Huddersfieldup via the playoffs scoring 1 goal in 3 games.... it may not work but if it does......

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

100%

53 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting approach.

I don't think it's going to happen, for that very reason. Can you envisage the combined lack of nous at the club in that scenario. It's frightening.

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I respect that people see the game differently. F uck off yourself.