JonnyJonnyRowe

Most over rated Norwich players that you can remember?

Personally I think it’s too early to judge any of the young players from the Farke era.

I’d state by over rated the OP is suggesting not terrible but not as good as widely suggested.

Mine would be Bradley Johnson who was bang average for three seasons and had a good season in the championship I think he was revered because what happened after he was sold. By his career stats after Norwich suggest he was a decent championship midfielder but no more not that that is anything to be ashamed off. We did well to get 8 million for him.

Another would be Malky Mackay who was in my opinion a limited championship centre half who benefitted from having a much better player in Craig Fleming alongside him and helped by Worthington insisting on a deep defensive line. He also benefited from being sold at the peak of his powers similar to Bradley Johnson.

Naismith. Naismith, Naismith.

Cost a bundle, did nothing regarding the reason for his purchase, and contributed so much to our financial plight at the time with the wage's legacy he left if I remember correctly.

Described as a 'useful trier' at the time by an Everton supporter. Chocolate teapot for City.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel like it might be a controversial one but Jamal Lewis. He was clearly a talented younger but I said at the time his move to Newcastle felt like it had come too soon for him and that he was just not good enough for such a big step up and seems I was proven right

Jamal was sold for far more than he was ever worth.

His running was very good when attacking, sadly never used that skill enough.

He was always looking for the easy pass. Passing sideways was ambitions for him, mostly it was backward to the goalkeeper. Often putting the goalkeeper under pressure.

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Cost a bundle, did nothing regarding the reason for his purchase, and contributed so much to our financial plight at the time with the wage's legacy he left if I remember correctly.

Described as a 'useful trier' at the time by an Everton supporter. Chocolate teapot for City.

This along with Midland Yellow’s suggestion of Widschut. 2 of the most inept, overrated players I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe most of the rest of the thread. The Farke years provided some of the most exciting, exhilarating football I’ve see at Carrow Road, yet people feel they can suggest the exciting young players who formed the core of that team. Lewis, Godfrey even Aarons. I’ve often felt some of our fans are unappreciative of the players we get a chance to see. I didn’t realise some of them were crazy as well. Need I remind you that all 3 of the above players made the championship team of the year. Good luck to those who think McCallum is an improvement. While I can accept Leitner as a suggestion, mostly because of his arrogance, the fact that one person mentioned Stieperman is also unbelievable!

18 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can't say he's overrated given nobody ever rated him here in the first place!

Was only here as a favour for Alex Neil as they were friends and his heart was clearly never in playing for us.

Oliver Skipp, a very good player, but anyone would think he was world class and almost solely responsible for the success we had, so in my view over rated. Would I have him back, of course, see initial comment. 

3 hours ago, A K Narey said:

Before I opened the thread, I thought Leitner. I never understood why some supporters thought he was an amazing player.

Thought he started the 18/19 season really well. His pairing with Tettey had really started to flourish before his injury. 

Underrated imo.  People didn't like what he did with his shorts or his vegan diet or whatever. 

Milot Rashica. Our most expensive signing of all time, and absolutely rubbish

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

They are praising him after that performance which was at right back, but they don't rate him at centre back at all and he can't do much in attack from right back. I wonder if he needs to be one of 3 centre backs in a sort of sweeper role, alongside two centre backs who are good in the air.

Have they tried him at dm yet?

I wouldn't say any of them were overrated but I thought our 18/19 team would do much better than they did at PL level. Also there's not many players who reached the full potential I saw in them when they were here. At the point he was being linked with Barca I didn't expect Aarons to eventually move to Bournemouth. Buendia I thought could have gone to a 'bigger' club than Villa at the time but they are essentially knocking on the CL door now.

5 minutes ago, Serinus canaria said:

I wouldn't say any of them were overrated but I thought our 18/19 team would do much better than they did at PL level. Also there's not many players who reached the full potential I saw in them when they were here. At the point he was being linked with Barca I didn't expect Aarons to eventually move to Bournemouth. Buendia I thought could have gone to a 'bigger' club than Villa at the time but they are essentially knocking on the CL door now.

Buendia has been out injured season mind

Adam Idah after the cup game at Preston. Conversely, now underrated. He has never been the second coming of Pele, nor non-league standard as many on here have swapped between.

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ok , tin hat on here

...Jeremy Goss....2 good seasons in 11 .....

I think this might be the winner.

Wherever you go, meet somebody over 45 and say you are a Norwich fan and they immediately say "Jeremy Goss"

And yet he spent most of his Norwich career sitting on the bench. 

Still, he scored the last ever goal in front of the old Kop, and that famous Bayern goal, let him have his iconic status.

Simeon Jackson the Championship version, for years I was being asked "what happened to Simeon Jackson?", in reality he had about 6 good weeks here, and looked completely out of his depth the rest of the time then went back to his natural level in the lower leagues. 

8 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

Oliver Skipp, a very good player, but anyone would think he was world class and almost solely responsible for the success we had, so in my view over rated. Would I have him back, of course, see initial comment. 

In our last promotion season he was comfortably the best defensive miffielder in the league.

Sadly it coincided with covid so we didnt get many chances to see him in the flesh, I went to the 3 home games where we were allowed 2k or 3k in at carrow rd and he was an obvious class above

11 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

I 100% agree with this.

He was obviously a very good player but had it not been for the exceptional heroics of Krul that second promotion season, we'd have conceded nearly as many goals as the first time around. Fans thought, me included, he made us so much more defensively solid but the stats don't back that up - Krul just had a ridiculous season.

Not to say he wasn't a great signing because he was - but he wasn't the saviour we thought he was.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I 100% agree with this.

He was obviously a very good player but had it not been for the exceptional heroics of Krul that second promotion season, we'd have conceded nearly as many goals as the first time around. Fans thought, me included, he made us so much more defensively solid but the stats don't back that up - Krul just had a ridiculous season.

Not to say he wasn't a great signing because he was - but he wasn't the saviour we thought he was.

Stats dont back that up?

We conceded 34 goals in 38 games in no small part having an effective screener sho could win the ball and break up play in front of our back 4, something we've clearly missed since

Its says a lot if you think Skipp was overrated but praise an inferior player like McLean

We're 20 points shy of where we were in that season...a player of Skipp's nature not being in midfield is one of the major reasons why

Definitely Kenny McLean- lots of huff and puff and energy but very little tangible end product 

13 hours ago, Corbs1 said:

A good tackler but that was about it. He was also very good at waving his arms around and he ran around a lot. 

He will probably be available in the summer as he doesn't even make the bench at Spurs at the moment. I suspect he'll see out his contract though, he's not going to earn that much anywhere else. 

The one that drove me to distraction was Lee Croft. He somehow managed to win POTS for running down the wing and getting corner kicks. 

1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Robert Snodgrass. Bradley Johnson. Cameron Jerome…

Might be easier to do an opposite thread.

Overrated manager: Daniel Farke

Ah Snodgrass.. Never seen a slower winger in my life