16 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's been fine in the sense he hasn't been awful. But that's because he just plays as a sweeper. I could do that. He contributes nothing offensively ………

Stopped reading when I got to “He contributes nothing offensively”. On a bike!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MORDENCANARY said:

I don't think that would be a motivating factor for your average young  upwardly mobile modern footballer. Somehow 

And today’s “seriously lacking a sense of irony or humour” award goes to…

4 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I gave up at the 'he just plays as a sweeper' part. 

Anyway, it just opinions and it appears a good many feel he is deserving of the award

• Like 1

If Sara was British he'd have won it because he'd get a PASHUN bonus. 

Not to downplay Kenny's performances (top 4 for sure) but take him out and we adapt. Take Sara out and we're screwed. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Have you seen his goals and assists numbers? Even at Championship level they read:-

137 games 

6 goals

20 assists

For a man who has spent the vast majority as a number 8 in two title winning teams and another that will make the play offs. Those are appalling. If you add PL stats stick another 68 games on there with... two goals and one assist. Truly embarrassing numbers for that position. Contrast that with Sara for me please.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Thank god your WhatsApp group doesn't represent the majority of our fanbase, and it's funny how the fans opinion coincides with players, ex players, managers and ex managers. In fact Wagner today complimented the fanbase for being more football intelligent in their decision to pick Kenny.

I'm not convinced your WhatsApp group is the intelligent one 😉😉

My problem with this is if we go up. I've said before, he's acceptable at this level (not POTS quality, but acceptable), but in the PL we have now guaranteed him 30+ starts and another bottom placed finish. The club should have moved beyond these types of players, but we haven't and that is the problem.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Hideously put, to my mind

Whatsapp Willy complains that Kenworth is POTS only because he’s the captain & a sweeper, then goes on to suggest eye-catching players in attacking positions should get the award instead, for doing their jobs well.

No acknowledgement of his personal playing qualities, season-long consistent contribution, leadership and attitude, long(ish) service to the club, civic mayoralty in his spare time, or impressive performance in the variety of roles he’s been asked to take on

We're ignoring Gunn, Stacey, Nunez then?

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Have you seen his goals and assists numbers?

Oh right and that’s the only way to contribute offensively? How about his long passing, particularly to wide positions? Or how about driving out of the defence with the ball, pulling the opposition out of shape? Both examples of linking defence with attack, I.e. contributing offensively.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Oh right and that’s the only way to contribute offensively? How about his long passing, particularly to wide positions? Or how about driving out of the defence with the ball, pulling the opposition out of shape? Both examples of linking defence with attack, I.e. contributing offensively.

What tosh. So I give you tangible, quantative evidence of how (in very good teams) he doesn't produce the numbers and you say "but yeah he is good actually". Try harder.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

If Sara was British he'd have won it because he'd get a PASHUN bonus. 

Not to downplay Kenny's performances (top 4 for sure) but take him out and we adapt. Take Sara out and we're screwed. 

I think Sara would win player of the last half season, but he has grown a lot this year; I think overall Kenny does merit it more when considering the whole season.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think Sara would win player of the last half season, but he has grown a lot this year; I think overall Kenny does merit it more when considering the whole season.

I think he started and finished well. Dipped in the middle a little where he was clearly 'doing a job' for the team in the deeper role.

McLean is getting it because he's the mad dog 20/20 tm mayor of Norwich and it's a lifetime achievement. Ironically I think he should have got it last year over Sara.

25 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

We're ignoring Gunn, Stacey, Nunez then?

Naturally… all complete dross and in fact the rest of the squad’s hated by the fans because they didn’t all get in the top 3.

Sara and Sargent just about pass muster.

I do think Sarge and Rowe have been hard done by & without their injuries they’d have placed higher. Glad Rowe got young POTS in what’s presumably going to prove his last season here

Let us also remember that in Worthy's title winning campaign Craig Fleming beat Darren Huckerby and Gary Doherty won it in 2006. I don't think today's winner says what a lot think it does. Night all.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

TBF you used the winky emoji.

No further questions your honour.

Just don't see what more I could have done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Have you seen his goals and assists numbers? Even at Championship level they read:-

137 games 

6 goals

20 assists

For a man who has spent the vast majority as a number 8 in two title winning teams and another that will make the play offs. Those are appalling. If you add PL stats stick another 68 games on there with... two goals and one assist. Truly embarrassing numbers for that position. Contrast that with Sara for me please.

The problem with these statistics are they don't cater for the pass that assists the assist, and quite often the pass that starts the move has come from Kenny. How many times has he played the ball into the channel for the cross that led to the goal, pinged it diagonally, or how many times has he sent Buendia, Sainz or Pukki through with a defence splitting pass for them to play the ball into someone else to score. Kenny is hugely underrated and I'm very pleased he's been recognised as this years player of the season. It is without doubt utterly deserved. Without Kenny we struggle to have a link between attack and defense.

• Like 3

Kenny wins as he's basically like Norwich for the last 10 years. Amazing in the championship. But not good enough for the premier league. 

• Like 2

Absolute key player for us, the backbone of the team playing multiple positions and covering for our dire defenders when playing in midfield. Really only two options - Sara or McLean, either would have suited me.  

8 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

What tosh. So I give you tangible, quantative evidence of how (in very good teams) he doesn't produce the numbers and you say "but yeah he is good actually". Try harder.

Because someone puts forward an alternative way of assessing something, which comes to a different conclusion to yours, it doesn’t mean they’re talking tosh. Just that you aren’t open minded enough to consider it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think he started and finished well. Dipped in the middle a little where he was clearly 'doing a job' for the team in the deeper role.

McLean is getting it because he's the mad dog 20/20 tm mayor of Norwich and it's a lifetime achievement. Ironically I think he should have got it last year over Sara.

Nah, he’s getting it because people that go FCR and away games have voted for him in huge numbers, because he had a brilliant season.

All the more deserved for some of the abuse he has received over the last few seasons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Nah, he’s getting it because people that go FCR and away games have voted for him in huge numbers, because he had a brilliant season.

All the more deserved for some of the abuse he has received over the last few seasons.

Exactly.

I love that those fans who have berated Kenny at every turn are absolutely fuming he won POTS, if we don't get promoted then this is the second best thing to happen this season 😅😅

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly.

I love that those fans who have berated Kenny at every turn are absolutely fuming he won POTS, if we don't get promoted then this is the second best thing to happen this season 😅😅

In the interview he did he said he was pleased because it was the fans that voted, but in is head I bet he was thinking **** you to those that gave him abuse, and rightly so.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Clearly your opinion was 'wrong' too...?

Is anyone who voted for anyone else 'wrong'

Did the 'majority' of fans vote for Mclean?

Only 40% may have done with the rest carved up between 3 or 4 others

Maybe @Robert N. LiM choice or words was careless, but yours is clearly a minority view. Perhaps rather than doubling down on this view it might make for more interesting posting if you examined why, exactly, you are so far out of step with the majority of the fanbase?

11 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's been fine in the sense he hasn't been awful. But that's because he just plays as a sweeper. I could do that. He contributes nothing offensively and has no instincts defensively. He basically looks good because he's better on the ball than our centre backs, which he bloody ought to be. How can people think he deserves it more than any of Sara, Rowe, Sargent or Sainz. There are one or two others that haven't been as good as those four but have been at least as good as Kenny (Gunn, Stacey, Nunez). Absolute joke. I will not be getting there early to see him pick up the award!

I just can't get my head round a fan going through the candidates in their head, which for 95% of fans would include at least two of those I've mentioned and then goes 'yep, Rowe did score loads but Kenny has been so brilliantly solid and has played every game. I'm picking Kenny.' Or 'yes, Sara has got over 20 goal involvements this season and occasionally has touches of absolute class but Kenny has been captain and that counts for a lot in my book. I'm picking Kenny.' Idiots.

Nicely put on a WhatsApp group I'm in.

Is the What’s App group called ‘tawts are us’? Do members also believe that the world is flat and that COVID ( if it existed) was caused by 5G phone masts? Are there more than 6 members in the group?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Maybe @Robert N. LiM choice or words was careless, but yours is clearly a minority view. Perhaps rather than doubling down on this view it might make for more interesting posting if you examined why, exactly, you are so far out of step with the majority of the fanbase?

I said he was poor between Sept-Nov ,where he was front and centre of a midfield being systematically sliced open on a game by game basis conceding 20 chances to the opposition each game, resulting in our having the worst defence in the whole league.

I dont think theres anything outlandish there

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I said he was poor between Sept-Nov ,where he was front and centre of a midfield being systematically sliced open on a game by game basis conceding 20 chances to the opposition each game, resulting in our having the worst defence in the whole league.

There is when, especially back during that time, most of your focus was on Kenny being the problem and I quote you in "we won't get anywhere near the playoffs if Mclean is a regular in the side".....

And the problem with that take was the focus on Mclean when the entire side was struggling but he was one of the better performers in that side, and you'll be delighted to know I'm saying that with the benefit of statistics to back that up. 😉

Start of September we had the international break.

16/09 We played Stoke at home and won 1-0 - Stacey scored, Mclean was statistically the highest rated player across both sides with a 7.8 (he played the most successful long balls, won the most amount of ground duels, lost possession the least amount of anyone in midfield that game).

20/09/23 We lost 2-0 to Leicester at home - only Duffy and Sara got better ratings than Kenny.....

Then we had the Plymouth debacle,

Then we beat Birmingham at home where he alongside the rest of the team had a good game. Then we beat Swansea away and he was again the third highest rated player. We then drew to coventry and he was the second highest rated midfielder behind Josh Eccles that game. then we lost to Leeds at home and he was 2nd highest rated player on the pitch...

I could keep going but I think this is probably a waste of time as I'm sure all the above is wrong somehow because you went so hard in on Mclean like a few others that the concept of admitting  anything other than your previous is unlikely 🙂

This is becoming a magical season

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Maybe not outlandish, but certainly one eyed. During that time he probably remained Wagner's first name on the team sheet.  To apportion significant blame on one player at a time key players were missing through injury and the system was struggling to cope would not seem like a coherent argument. The majority of fans see through this, a tiny minority do not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There is when, especially back during that time, most of your focus was on Kenny being the problem and I quote you in "we won't get anywhere near the playoffs if Mclean is a regular in the side".....

And the problem with that take was the focus on Mclean when the entire side was struggling but he was one of the better performers in that side, and you'll be delighted to know I'm saying that with the benefit of statistics to back that up. 😉

Start of September we had the international break.

16/09 We played Stoke at home and won 1-0 - Stacey scored, Mclean was statistically the highest rated player across both sides with a 7.8 (he played the most successful long balls, won the most amount of ground duels, lost possession the least amount of anyone in midfield that game).

20/09/23 We lost 2-0 to Leicester at home - only Duffy and Sara got better ratings than Kenny.....

Then we had the Plymouth debacle,

Then we beat Birmingham at home where he alongside the rest of the team had a good game. Then we beat Swansea away and he was again the third highest rated player. We then drew to coventry and he was the second highest rated midfielder behind Josh Eccles that game. then we lost to Leeds at home and he was 2nd highest rated player on the pitch...

I could keep going but I think this is probably a waste of time as I'm sure all the above is wrong somehow because you went so hard in on Mclean like a few others that the concept of admitting  anything other than your previous is unlikely 🙂

This is becoming a magical season

Do you think he played well in that period of time?

..and yes , our porous midfield was very much the problem to the extent that he was taken out of it and put in defence.

I then went on to say that since November , there have been other players who have performed better than him...Sara Gunn Sargent Stacey,  again not an outlandish claim, notwithstanding Rowe who at other points of the season when not injured 

Interesting to see that Sargent was voted 3rd, so there were people who were prepated to vote for a player who missed half of the season, people who thought that being injured for half and then excellent for half outweighs being poor for 3 months and ok to good for the rest of it.

I said on an earliet thread, if there was a player who had been consistent for the WHOLE season, with no periods of injury and significant,prolonged dips in form , it would be Jack Stacey