Hwang - thought he was starting to come good. He was definitely getting more gametime than Syd. 

Hwang without question. I don't think he was particularly good but he could relatively press and play a similar style to Sargent, just with much less quality.

Saw more from Hwang than what we have in the modest mins SVH has got. Too soon to judge mind you, but another decent striker would be helpful meaning SVH takes pressure of Barnes, who for me has looked sub par for a little while now.

It's really frustrating that both Hwang and Idah have left us just when they were starting to be of considerable use.

I don't care which one is better out of Hwang and SVH. We started the season with Sargent, Barnes, Idah and Hwang. Now look at us.

32 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Saw more from Hwang than what we have in the modest mins SVH has got.

My memory is that after a similar amount of minutes, the consensus on here was that Hwang was useless. Maybe SvH will leather one in from 40 yards on Saturday

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Does it matter now?

An opportunity to have a whinge? Of course it matters!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who would you rather have as our second choice striker?

Neither!

Getting rid of Hwang was like having a new signing.

Jokes aside don’t think we can give much insight yet on SvH and likewise Hwang didn’t play much to me he seemed like a headless chicken popping up all over the pitch but rarely being in the box. He seemed to be good at nutmegs but little else will be interesting if he crops up anywhere else in the e championship next season.

Need to see more of SvH.  But so far would have him over Hwang purely on the basis of the dodgy stuff circling Hwang and SvH offers us a plan B presuming he can play as target man. 

39 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

My memory is that after a similar amount of minutes, the consensus on here was that Hwang was useless. Maybe SvH will leather one in from 40 yards on Saturday

I thought technically Hwang was good. It didnt help with his explicit filming allegations, but regardless is better than Idah

• Like 1

Don’t feel we’ve seen anything like enough of SvH to form any opinion on him to be honest. I am sure Ben Knapper would have hoped to have seen more if he’s a player he’s followed for a long time ?

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Need to see more of SvH.  But so far would have him over Hwang purely on the basis of the dodgy stuff circling Hwang and SvH offers us a plan B presuming he can play as target man. 

Considering in arguably less physical leagues he has a poorer aerial win % than Barnes, I'd suggest even that is beyond the guy

The main problem with Hwang was that he spent most of January in South Korea. With that situation going on it was hard to see him as an option.

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Is the bench 40 yards from the goal?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Don’t feel we’ve seen anything like enough of SvH to form any opinion on him to be honest. I am sure Ben Knapper would have hoped to have seen more if he’s a player he’s followed for a long time ?

I doubt SVH is someone Knapper has been following for a long time considering his role at Arsenal wouldn't really have covered those bases. It's more likely he was one of a number of names on a list made by the recruitment department. The fact he'd had 2 good goalscoring seasons at a young age makes him somewhat of an outlier. That's probably what inspired the followed for a long time comment. 

When January came it was probably more a case of finding someone who was available on loan, rather than us getting the best possible target. What it did show though was that Knapper is going to go through the recruitment department for transfers and the manager's voice would no longer be the prominent one, as it has been every window since Webber joined bar last summer.

Hwang was class. I strongly suspect the allegations against him coloured opinions.

You could see he wasn't on the same wavelength as his team mates at first, but rapidly improved. This is born out by his stats, since (according to WIki) he scored no goals in the first eight appearances then scored three goals in the five subsequent matches. I can remember seeing one of his goals & thinking that Idah would never have scored that in a month of Sundays, he just didn't have the technique or awareness.

As for SvH, I really don't think he'll cut it here. Like Riki, just not suited to English football.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Considering in arguably less physical leagues he has a poorer aerial win % than Barnes, I'd suggest even that is beyond the guy

Aerial win would be when two go up for a header wouldn't it?  I was thinking more along the lines that being the size he is, you'd expect he has the ability to hold the ball up should we need it.  Whether that was to feet, chest or head.

I remember he done well for a goal that Fasi scored.  About one of the few things we've seen from him though.

Edited by Google Bot

48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He doesn't though?

His career mark is 48% vs Barnes' 37%, obviously a smaller sample size and there's some missing data too but considering SVH was also in his teens/early 20s for some of it then he's not exactly going to have full grown into his body by then. It's logical to suggest his physical game will improve as his body matures.

2 minutes ago, repman said:

He doesn't though?

His career mark is 48% vs Barnes' 37%, obviously a smaller sample size and there's some missing data too but considering SVH was also in his teens/early 20s for some of it then he's not exactly going to have full grown into his body by then. It's logical to suggest his physical game will improve as his body matures.

I've not looked his entire career, just his past year - same as Barnes. If he wasn't significantly higher in the Eredivisie i'd be even more concerned.

But even then, it ignores the point he's completely unsuited to Wagner's style of play, and was a complete waste of a loan signing whilst weakening our squad in January.

Blur or Oasis?  Pulp

Gerrard or Lampard? Scholes

Hwang or van Hooijdonk? Idah

Ridiculous-the answer to the first one isn’t Pulp, it’s Shed Seven 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Aerial win would be when two go up for a header wouldn't it?  I was thinking more along the lines that being the size he is, you'd expect he has the ability to hold the ball up should we need it.  Whether that was to feet, chest or head.

I remember he done well for a goal that Fasi scored.  About one of the few things we've seen from him though.

He certainly looks like he can only play with his back to goal so potentially. To be honest though he's looked miles short from the minutes we've seen, and those who have seen him in his u21 game testify to the same.

Blur or Oasis?  Pulp

Hwang or SvH? Aboh!

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Blur or Oasis?  Pulp

In the same spirit, if we're having a Maradona or Pele moment, I'll choose Beckenbauer. More complete player.

3 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I suspect it was a lot more minutes.