Sign in to follow this  

The tragedy is as soon as he's fit, Wagner will shoehorn him back in, to the detriment of the team. And the only person who will think it's a wise idea is Hogey.

Poor defender. Poor captain.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

• Haha 1

Goreham said it was due to a lack of match fitness that decision was taken, wasn’t clear if that was coaching team’s assessment or Hanley’s or both. Can’t say I disagree, he’s been rushed back and looks way off the pace. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Goreham said it was due to a lack of match fitness that decision was taken, wasn’t clear if that was coaching team’s assessment or Hanley’s or both. Can’t say I disagree, he’s been rushed back and looks way off the pace. 

Lungi was very good last week against Rotherham, and although I didn't see the match today, another clean sheet implies he's doing just fine. Fingers crossed Scotland decide to leave Hanley on the bench for the upcoming internationals so he can have another couple of weeks of recuperation to get back up to speed for the run-in.

Edited by Feedthewolf

50 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Lungi was very good last week against Rotherham, and although I didn't see the match today, another clean sheet implies he's doing just fine. Fingers crossed Scotland decide to leave Hanley on the bench for the upcoming internationals so he can have another couple of weeks of recuperation to get back up to speed for the run-in.

He's played Rotherham and Stoke though, two sides which have mustered a grand total of 1 shot on target. 

I think he will give it a go until end of season. And will make a decision on fitness and may call it a day. 

Think he’s been told that he can go in the summer to see if he can get a 2 year contract elsewhere to see out his career rather than stay at Norwich for another year and then be out of contract and risk not getting another deal elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

At least DW has recognised the need to try and build up Hanley's fitness. However, the description of 'explosiveness' is a tad 'odd' when used to pigeon hole said player surely! It is not just match fitness he needs but there have been examples recently when he hasn't even got off the ground (bar  a few inches maybe)  to defend crosses. He cannot be reintroduced to the team if that flaw persists.  

Some absolute ridiculous statements on this thread about Hanley And Lungi plays against two of the worst sides in the division and now he is Baresi.  If Hanley has been as awful as people say, Liverpool would have been double figures. Yes, he is rusty but he had been out for 11 months ffs.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

At least DW has recognised the need to try and build up Hanley's fitness. However, the description of 'explosiveness' is a tad 'odd' when used to pigeon hole said player surely! It is not just match fitness he needs but there have been examples recently when he hasn't even got off the ground (bar  a few inches maybe)  to defend crosses. He cannot be reintroduced to the team if that flaw persists.  

I’d agree with that. He’s not ready to return yet for me and remains to be seen if he can get back to the player he was. Be such a shame if he ended up leaving at the end of the season because of that injury. 

• Like 1

If Hanley needs match fitness then surely we'd want him to play for Scotland?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's played Rotherham and Stoke though, two sides which have mustered a grand total of 1 shot on target. 

I guess the obvious question is whether he's played an important part in helping us to limit the oppositions chances. 

Its good to see him fit though, and his ability to cover in several positions should stand him in good stead when it comes to whether he gets a new deal or not.

I'm sure it's been said that he is/was the fastest player at the club over the first few yards of a footrace so perhaps the term 'explosiveness' makes perfect sense. 

• Like 2

I'm not surprised by this, I've been saying since he came back in that he looks an uncomfortable fit. Not really a criticism- he's comes back from one of the worst injuries you can get, and almost a year out- but he is missing something.

At the time of his injury I suspected we wouldn't see him play much meaningful football for us again. Duffy due to return after the international break- I think that prediction stands.

• Like 1

His fitness is getting worse since his return not better. In addition to his achilles he's had other niggles as well, which is not surprising as he's probably struggling to cope with the training.

It's worrying he's not even fit enough to sit on the bench and with 5 young defenders returning from loans next season his future here must be starting to look a bit bleak. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:
14 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Perhaps the reason we only saw one shot on target in two games was precisely because he was in the team.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Perhaps the reason we only saw one shot on target in two games was precisely because he was in the team.

Quite. Also, the whole midfield is defending and retaining the ball better.

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You know as well as any fan that shut outs of that kind are never down to one player - it's an outmatched pairing coupled with excellent team performance.

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:
11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You know as well as any fan that shut outs of that kind are never down to one player - it's an outmatched pairing coupled with excellent team performance.

The point is that having Sorensen in the back four maybe contributed to better cohesion in defence/midfield.

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The point is that having Sorensen in the back four maybe contributed to better cohesion in defence/midfield.

How do you explain his role at the end of last season in which he featured prominently in the end of season form that saw us concede 12 in 5? 

Our good form is not down to any individual. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I dunno mate, pop Long in for Gunn and I think you'd be eating those words. *shudders*

44 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I dunno mate, pop Long in for Gunn and I think you'd be eating those words. *shudders*

Yeah fair point. I think goalkeeper is maybe the exception to that rule. A good goalkeeper makes a team. 

13 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

How do you explain his role at the end of last season in which he featured prominently in the end of season form that saw us concede 12 in 5? 

Yes and Sorensen has some really favourable qualities for our style of football under Wagner but of course, he is not a better central defender than Hanley at his best.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 22:24, Terminally Yellow said:

I've said for a while that I think Sorensen lacks leadership. He's not a bad player, he's just not an amazing one either.

The end of last season was his moment to shine. A run in the side in a position he has previously said he is comfortable in. If there was ever a chance to nail down a starting position on the regular that was it.

He was paired with Omobamidele for most of those games if I recall it correctly. A central defender of quality, perhaps some rawness, and a lack of experience. He'd looked good when paired with Hanley or Gibson who appeared able to steer him with their experience. Sorensen is 26, he's no youngster in footballing terms. He should have stood out if for no other reason that he had the experience and knowledge to have an edge. No one particularly covered themselves in glory in that period, don't get me wrong, but I do feel if he was to have a moment that was it.

Right now he should be in his prime. One of the names a manager either can't leave off the team sheet or is giving headaches about how to include him on it. He's not really either. And not only that, he's come into a team in form and he's playing alongside an experience CB in Gibson - highlighting perhaps that Sorensen needs an older head alongside him.