cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Smoggies V Canaries*

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

@SouthwellC, can we get rid of this moron now? Blatant binner who only comes on here to take the p*ss.

It's fine, there's still plenty of time for this season to swing again. Give em enough rope...

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's fine, there's still plenty of time for this season to swing again. Give em enough rope...

I don't care, personally. Don't even mind binner fans being on here if they're civil and up for a reasonable football discussion, but this berk literally only comes on here to rile people up. Ridiculous that he's still allowed to post here.

Mark Drury

BBC Tees commentator

Boro for the first time since the turn of the year have three points at the Riverside.

Norwich will be absolutely furious still.

Jonny Howson is still chatting a fair amount with his former Norwich teammates, and we all know what that is about.

If it were our team we would be furious with that sending off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Roll on a summer overhaul. Fresh start, fresh players, fresh manager

Yes should be great next season

Sargent and Rowe and Sara probably out of the door if they want to improve their careers 

Left with Hanley Barnes Duffy Gibson Gibbs Fassnacht Hernandez Fisher Sorensen Long Springett Idah

A mid table season with little coming through our expensive Academy 

11 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Mark Drury

BBC Tees commentator

Boro for the first time since the turn of the year have three points at the Riverside.

Norwich will be absolutely furious still.

Jonny Howson is still chatting a fair amount with his former Norwich teammates, and we all know what that is about.

If it were our team we would be furious with that sending off.

...fact is Howson peaked when he was with us. Thought he was too good for us by bailing out to Middlesbrough whilst in the seasons that followed watched us get promoted twice, whilst he's been nowhere near it.

There's a reason why he hasnt kicked a ball in the Premier League since leaving us.

Lets see what 'reception' he gets if he shows his face at carrow rd again.

although he may well have hung his boots up before that comes round and he can reflect upon his career realising he peaked at Norwich yet was still relegated with us twice

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Thought he was too good for us by bailing out to Middlesbrough

I met him fishing a few times when he was here, and he didn't think much of the area, I think that was a massive factor.  He told us he found it too flat and depressing and ages to get anywhere, he was half laughing about it but you could tell he really missed being up north.

In fact, i'd say it was more like talking to a 50 year old than someone in the mid-20s.

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Both 'boro commentators (who were very fair throughout) agreed that it wasn't anything like a red card, even after several replay viewings.

But our capitulation was shocking. I firmly believe it's to do with the way Gibson & Hanley play - it's great when they can slowly walk the ball out from defence, but they are sooo pooonderous that they get turned too easily by any sort of overload from midfield. I'm not saying they're solely to blame, but they're a large factor.

One tiny, tiny plus from tonight was Sid's performance, notably his link up play & eye for a pass was encouraging. There may yet be a useful player in there after all.

I think this was down to the substitutions, yet again.

Most managers would have brought a defensive player on (Sorensen) and taken a forward off (Barnes) and I immediately thought it was the obvious thing to do. Then again, I'm not the master tactician that Wagner is.

Saintz has almost certainly cost us valuable points, but over the season so far substitutions have, imo, cost us more.

• Like 1

On a different note more evidence for me of how severely limited Wagner is as a coach last night with our reaction to the red card. The players also have to take some blame for their pathetic defending (no surprise since none of them are capable of actually defending properly so we can’t play on the back foot) but it was very, very clear that they didn’t have a clue how to play as ten men and make it hard for the opposition, w still had a lead to defend. We surrendered it immediately and then let them stroll to victory, Wagner changed nothing except move the wrong striker onto the wing. Very poor. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Would we? Never saw anything in it.

Although the reaction of our players tells me that they perhaps suspected there was more to it. Sainz had also already been spoken to about a bit of afters too. 

However it’s viewed and from whichever side, it is VERY VERY soft and maybe reputation has cost him? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Our players reactions were apparently that Howson should be given a red, and then horror when the ref advised he was sending Sainz off.

22 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Our players reactions were apparently that Howson should be given a red, and then horror when the ref advised he was sending Sainz off.

Clear to me that it was an honest 50:50 but Howson feared he was for the red card and after a few seconds thought decided to go for the Oscar. Whatever the decision, Red, yellow or nought, they should each have received the same.

• Like 1

The Hanley/Gibbo combination never inspires me with confidence. Hanley's injury will likely put pay to that, but for two experienced defenders they aren't half hopeless together.

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The Hanley/Gibbo combination never inspires me with confidence. Hanley's injury will likely put pay to that, but for two experienced defenders they aren't half hopeless together.

I think Gibson gets some unfair stick at times but I want us to go back to Duffy and McLean.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

On a different note more evidence for me of how severely limited Wagner is as a coach last night with our reaction to the red card. The players also have to take some blame for their pathetic defending (no surprise since none of them are capable of actually defending properly so we can’t play on the back foot) but it was very, very clear that they didn’t have a clue how to play as ten men and make it hard for the opposition, w still had a lead to defend. We surrendered it immediately and then let them stroll to victory, Wagner changed nothing except move the wrong striker onto the wing. Very poor. 

I have to say if you think Wagner changed nothing then you have absolutely no right to comment on tactics.

We went very narrow, low-block 4-4-1 and didn't counter-press until in our third. That was a huge change from how we started the game. We went from making the pitch big to being as narrow as possible - the intention obviously was to limit Boro centrally and deal with crosses which are typically the easiest type of defending to do, especially with the profile of CB we have. 

That we defended so poorly for the goals is individual rather than tactics, in that instance.

That 15 minutes cost us the game and where I'm most disappointed with Wagner is our inability to get anything going second half. But then our Sporting Director sold our fit, relatively pacey and physical striker who scores goals from the bench for a player who's never played in this league and looks unfit, slow, causes defenders very little problems and starts blowing after 8 minutes.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Gibson gets some unfair stick at times but I want us to go back to Duffy and McLean.

I think we need Duffy to be fit for that. Saying that, he's fit enough to spend a good portion of his time in our local pubs. 

• Like 1

Haven't posted yet as I was so annoyed last night.

It was revealing watching on the sky red button that initially the commentator thought it was a Boro player getting sent off.  Clueless referee, but Sainz gave him the opening by a stupid action, and Howson is contemptible for deliberately getting another pro sent off.

Come the end of the season it's quite possible those 3 points will make all the difference, I'm so frustrated and angry.

2 hours ago, Serinus Canaria Domestica said:

Clear to me that it was an honest 50:50 but Howson feared he was for the red card and after a few seconds thought decided to go for the Oscar. Whatever the decision, Red, yellow or nought, they should each have received the same.

Hence why I can’t see us winning an appeal, now I have seen the original tackle, it was not good, he was not in control. Should have maybe been 2 reds.

Like somebody else has said on the SKY commentary the commentatator announced Howson had been sent off.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I don't care, personally. Don't even mind binner fans being on here if they're civil and up for a reasonable football discussion, but this berk literally only comes on here to rile people up. Ridiculous that he's still allowed to post here.

Agree with this 100%.

It’s ridiculous that TWTD have effectively banned Norwich fans posting on there but our moderators allow Ipswich fans free rein on here. I can understand how the tables have turned for our respective clubs but let let them take the p*ss elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Agree with this 100%.

It’s ridiculous that TWTD have effectively banned Norwich fans posting on there but our moderators allow Ipswich fans free rein on here. I can understand how the tables have turned for our respective clubs but let let them take the p*ss elsewhere.

Well hopefully @SouthwellC has taken note of my rant last night and given @JUBWICKS75 the boot back to binland.

16 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I met him fishing a few times when he was here, and he didn't think much of the area, I think that was a massive factor.  He told us he found it too flat and depressing and ages to get anywhere, he was half laughing about it but you could tell he really missed being up north.

In fact, i'd say it was more like talking to a 50 year old than someone in the mid-20s.

Money talks!