Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

19 years ago today!

The most embarrassing thing ever seen at Carrow Road! Who remembers it, I’m sure most do as it’s impossible to forget!

What are your recollections of that infamous drunken rant?

Mine was standing talking to people behind me with my back to the pitch when I thought, what the hell is that noise 🤣🤣

It being a Monday night game made it impossible for me to get to - I was listening via the internet (remember when we could do that?!) and you could hear some random noise over the h/t chat…turned out to be Delia….

Was watching it at a friend's house and had popped outside for a ciggie at halftime. 

All of a sudden, the lads in the house are like "come here! You've got to see this!" And rewound the live footage so we could watch. 

I thought it was hilarious tbh. 

The result wasn't, though 😂

9 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Was watching it at a friend's house and had popped outside for a ciggie at halftime. 

All of a sudden, the lads in the house are like "come here! You've got to see this!" And rewound the live footage so we could watch. 

I thought it was hilarious tbh. 

The result wasn't, though 😂

Your friends in the house should have been shouting "c'mon, where arrreee yooouuu!?"

• Haha 2

I think the close up of her drunken face on TV were a lot worse than it sounded in the stadium.

I missed it as I was at the bar....

It was a pretty chilly February night, so I went into the concourse at half time. It was on the TVs, but there was no sound, and I only found out about it when I got home. 

I've never found it embarrassing though. I'd rather a pissed up Delia than some faceless American, Chinese or a Middle Eastern consortium.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I remember having a chuckle at the game and thinking no more of it until the media went bananas the next morning. 

Yeah, I think it went over most of our heads in the ground.  I remember there were just a lot of confused faces around me.  It wasn't until I saw it on Sky Sports News when I got home that it was obvious quite how much Delia had enjoyed her night.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It being a Monday night game made it impossible for me to get to - I was listening via the internet (remember when we could do that?!) and you could hear some random noise over the h/t chat…turned out to be Delia….

I thought you heroically travelled 160 miles to attend home games when in fact you listen on the inter web 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, norwich canary said:

I thought you heroically travelled 160 miles to attend home games when in fact you listen on the inter web 

That was 19 years ago. I have never made out that I heroically do anything - you’re the insular fool who wants to make Norwich only for people within walking distance.

And if you knew anything at all, you’d know you can’t now listen direct via the internet. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Passionate fan-owner trying to rally the club's supporters.

The reaction said much more about her critics than it did about Delia.

She's been in charge of this club for 20-odd years, and has done a lot of things that could be criticised. That wasn't one of them. In my far-from-humble opinion of course.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The expression ' let's be havin' you ' of course has not been a source of ridicule up and down the country over the years by fans of other clubs now has it ?

• Like 1

I was in the bar in the Barclay, remember turning to my mate and saying "did you just hear some weird noise?".

A few Citeh fans chanted "Lets be aving you" in the 2nd half had no idea what they were banging on about until I got home.  

I was mortified when I saw it, she was 100% pissed, and with a look of such disgust towards the fans that I've personally wanted her gone ever since.

While there are people who treat her like a visit from the Pope when she makes an appearance in The Lion and Castle after a game i am not surprised she is still around to soak up the adoration.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

The most embarrassing thing ever seen at Carrow Road! Who remembers it, I’m sure most do as it’s impossible to forget!

What are your recollections of that infamous drunken rant?

Mine was standing talking to people behind me with my back to the pitch when I thought, what the hell is that noise 🤣🤣

More embarrassing than Colchester 7-1?

I loved it, but then sport is entertainment for me, I see no shame in it.  My memories was watching on TV with my dad, and him shouting out to Mum "Quick! Delia's pi55ed on TV!".

It will for sure define her passion as a supporter.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

More embarrassing than Colchester 7-1?

In my opinion it was but that’s just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

She's been in charge of this club for 20-odd years, and has done a lot of things that could be criticised. That wasn't one of them. In my far-from-humble opinion of course.

I just had a similar conversation with a manager here at work who supports Reading. He’d take an owner like Delia in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

With anything like this you can try and pretend it didn’t happen, or style it out. I’m in the “let’s own it” camp. Other teams’ supporters think it’s funny but at the same time that it shows a passionate owner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The expression ' let's be havin' you ' of course has not been a source of ridicule up and down the country over the years by fans of other clubs now has it ?

I mean if opposition fans chanting that has such an impact on you then....

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was a pretty chilly February night, so I went into the concourse at half time. It was on the TVs, but there was no sound, and I only found out about it when I got home. 

I've never found it embarrassing though. I'd rather a pissed up Delia than some faceless American, Chinese or a Middle Eastern consortium.

Yep. It just re-affirmed how much of a fan she was. I'm not saying i'd want her to do it or that it's even a good idea but it was genuine at least, more than you can say for 75% of football club owners currently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Caring what the fans of other clubs think has never struck me as a very Norfolk thing to do.

In our second Farke PL season I absorbed a little bit of the ridicule that was coming our way ("they're wasting a place in the PL", etc), and as a result, I was pretty relaxed about Farke's sacking. That taught me a lesson and I've resolved to militantly not care what TalkShïte gobshïtes or other clubs' fans think about us. As someone said, can't remember their name, 'ignore the noise'. Or to put it in a more timeless way, 'do diff'rent'.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Delia Smith - Where are ya! on Make a GIF       "HIC BURP BELCH!"

"I was sober" she claims while the footage shows her sluring every other word and unable to stand still without falling over

Embarrassing my ar$e. It was brilliant. A great advert for passion from an owner of a football club, prepared to stand up and speak out. Never understood why it upset some of our fans - I guess those who think they are above criticism might not like it......

• Like 4