Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Cheating ?

Unfortunate but true. 

Game is moving further and further to TV. All about the minutes that can be generated from pundits/discussions.

How long can we stretch out a coverage  for? 

Cheating can easily be stamped out but no one is willing to do it.  Crowding the ref, managers comments, all leads to the c**p people no doubt see down the parks at grass roots. 

Not a rugby fan by any stretch but discipline they have right on the whole

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

He's right. Toney cheated. There's no other word for it. Blue card for him!

If we are going to bring out blue cards why not go the whole rainbow? Let's see green cards, purple cards,  orange cards..

20 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Well said Sean.

It does mean we'll be watching your team like hawks from now on, though.

The point is not that players cheat, they all do to a degree, but that in this incidence not only are influential pundits condoning it but praising it.

I wonder what the reply would be were this to be Argentian TV commenting on  Maradona's goal v England

• Like 1

What about Grant Holt going down like he was poleaxed when the defender had not touched him at all ?

Ref penalised the defender with a red card and gave Holt a free kick.

There have always been mistakes made on a football pitch.

I agree with him but the clue is in the name it’s professional football it’s not jumpers for goalposts or some Sunday league knock about. Every advantage that can be won fair or foul has to be taken. 

The game is entirely dominated by cheats, I really can't stand the level of diving and simulation in the modern game.  This is why I have such little interest in the champions league, as the elite can squeeze every inch of advantage available to them.

I wish I could appreciate the ability but it just winds me up.  Give me Keane/Viera battling it out than someone like Neymar acting a rat.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I agree with him but the clue is in the name it’s professional football it’s not jumpers for goalposts or some Sunday league knock about. Every advantage that can be won fair or foul has to be taken. 

You are missing the point. it is not about players cheating, but punters praising that cheating.

• Like 1

It’s the rolling round for minutes in agony, following by leaping up and trotting off like nothing happened that gets me. I can’t see a good way of stopping it though without penalising players who are genuinely fouled and hurt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Disagree. The fact it’s professional and the top levels of its class means the stakes are higher and cheating can have all the  greater an unfair impact on the competitions. Why is there a ref and a rule book? Why do pro sports have anti-doping bodies? Because cheating is fundamentally opposed to fairness, level playing fields and pure competition .

• Like 1

Just now, Nuff Said said:

I can’t see a good way of stopping it though without penalising players who are genuinely fouled and hurt.

Just allow more physicality in the game, for years it's been steered towards interceptions and that's allowed players to get the slightest touch on the ball and then go down easily.  If they want to simulate while the ball is in play that's up to them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s the rolling round for minutes in agony, following by leaping up and trotting off like nothing happened that gets me. I can’t see a good way of stopping it though without penalising players who are genuinely fouled and hurt.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. I well remember Allan Clarke doing this at CR in the first season we were ever promoted to the First Division. We had Leeds under the cosh, so he collapsed like he'd taken an assassin's bullet, allowing his team to re-organise.

My goodness, we had them rattled that day.

• Like 1

I can't stand the obsession with the ball being placed outside the quadrant for a corner. Change the rules and put it back where it should be. Remember a West ham player being sent off if I remember correctly for messing about in the corner at carrow Road 

17 hours ago, RobJames said:

You are missing the point. it is not about players cheating, but punters praising that cheating.

But the punters on TV are generally ex players.

Remember the pundits comments - * "hes every right to go down there"  followed next week by "oh that's soft" 

*usually in the penalty box. 

Re Ivan Toney - evidently loads of players have moved the foam before, although I admit id not been aware of it. Isn't that what VAR is for too? 

• Like 1

It’s why I don’t bother watching football on tv anymore, too much over analysing. I just want to see the action for goodness sake!

22 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It’s why I don’t bother watching football on tv anymore, too much over analysing. I just want to see the action for goodness sake!

I am appalled at the cheating and unsporting behaviour that is in the modern game but I am ****ed if I would let it stop me from watching it on TV.

19 hours ago, RobJames said:

428623445_947307140091317_6840396804218789954_n.thumb.jpg.870cce9531b1bb8e8145ee83d36e5564.jpg

Haha and his teams have never cheated.   Ffs;   trying to sound like Chris Wilder isn't a great choice

2 hours ago, ZLF said:

Haha and his teams have never cheated.   Ffs;   trying to sound like Chris Wilder isn't a great choice

That’s not what his point is I don’t think, I think he is saying more that tv praised somebody for cheating.

It's not very often the media brigade use the term cheat to define the blatant cheating and unprofessionalism that happens in every game and I can't see Match of the Day introducing a cheat of the month competition anytime soon.  

• Like 1

Football is bring ever more manipulated for a TV audience.

VAR is pure theatre, the delays are part of that. Those terrible shows like Bake Off etc, when the winner, or whoever is being shuffled off that week is announced.....and......the....very.....staged.....pause.......beforehand.....to crank up the tension for the viewer.

There's VAR. Was it a goal? A foul? A red card offence? The big screen says.....decision pending.....decision pending.....decision pending...yep, cranking up the tension for the sofa dwellers....it's the great British football stage show.

VAR, in its current guise, is perfect for those millions of neutrals sat watching all over the world who just want to be entertained. It's the villan, the bad cop. Hiss. Booo.

The pundits are the same. Roy Keane and his well rehearsed camera glower. Man Utd are 2-0 down at H/T, hey, **** the football, make that cup of tea when they kick off for the second half, lets all watch Keano go off on one whilst Micah laughs.

Jesus ****ing Christ alive.

Edited by Old Shuck

On 20/02/2024 at 19:13, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

This is hardly a new phenomenon. I well remember Allan Clarke doing this at CR in the first season we were ever promoted to the First Division. We had Leeds under the cosh, so he collapsed like he'd taken an assassin's bullet, allowing his team to re-organise.

My goodness, we had them rattled that day.

Or Francis Lee (Man City), particularly to get a penalty. 

Edited by Conrad