Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So rumours fly around that Wagner is to be sacked

its not all of the sudden you can see the evolution since xmas

the midfield and defence slowly perfecting the way the play 

now if they continue thats the question I have wanted Wagner out since the end of last season and untill 4 weeks ago I was certain on that

Edited by Paul101
  • Like 1

We play our best football when McLean is in the back four and Nunez & Sara are in midfield, the reason is that McLean  moves the ball forwards quicker and we have the players on the pitch to benefit from this.

Watching the highlights from yesterday McCallum has to stay and start, he’s crossing and attacking ability is far better than Giannoulis. We look a genuine threat and push the opposition back from attacking! Yes we do concede from having McCallum up the pitch occasionally but him in the team limits the attack in our end.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

pretty much he is a genuine attacking threat

nuno did really well in the last two games but both him and Sara seem to be embracing the defence duties now and got to grips with how to do both

“I’m about to be sacked??? Quickly, put the substitution tombola away! I’ll tell them that Sargent is a late call and could still be injured”

• Haha 1

Come on CC, no-one said Wagner was about to be sacked. Every single article said it would be at the end of the season as there’s no way Cuesta would leave Arsenal before then. This really is clickbait.

• Like 6

There has been nothing whatsoever from the club to indicate anything other than Wagner's continued tenure until at least the end of the season. I would also be surprised if he isn't still in place next season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And replaced with some bloke from Arsenal and then all of a sudden we start thrashing teams and playing some of the best football we have seen all season? 

Coincidence?

Conveniently forgetting we have won/drawn  7 out of the last 8 games and the Arsenal link Came in this week 

• Like 1

If you don’t think Wagner was fearing for his job when Knapper joined then you haven’t been paying attention to the results prior and after. Nor the demeanour / confidence change in the man. 
Credit to him, through poor performances to solid ones now - he’s found a way to win. Albeit his substitutions can at times make it even harder for himself. 

Cuesta will have other suitors than us. Likely higher profile too. There’s no guarantee we can get him. And that’s even if we are to make a move. As it stands I can’t see us doing that this summer. It’s looking like Wagner will start next season.  

but….there’s twists and turns to come yet. 

• Like 1

If we keep going the way we are then top six is a very real prospect and inconceivable as it seems therefore so is a possible return to the Prem. Could anyone honestly see our board/owners sanctioning sacking a manager who achieves this? Yes if we spiral into a clear mid table finish then I could see a change for next season, but I would be amazed if we actually have an agreement in place with any other manager yet.

Just to confirm, are we shocked or not at the streaky manager having a winning streak after a losing streak after a winning streak?

• Like 1

It was probably our most complete performance so far under Wagner's tenure . I'd caveat that by adding Cardiff were shocking. The question from me is why has it taken so long to get to this point? He's been here over a year.

Play-offs is the target and I suspect the requirement for Wagner to keep his job. A long way to go yet.

Cuesta may or may not be on the list to replace him. There will be others added I'm sure along with those Webber had already earmarked.

Nothing wrong with having targets and accountabilities and it's pretty clear Wagner has had them since Knapper arrived.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It was probably our most complete performance so far under Wagner's tenure . I'd caveat that by adding Cardiff were shocking. The question from me is why has it taken so long to get to this point? He's been here over a year.

Play-offs is the target and I suspect the requirement for Wagner to keep his job. A long way to go yet.

Cuesta may or may not be on the list to replace him. There will be others added I'm sure along with those Webber had already earmarked.

Nothing wrong with having targets and accountabilities and it's pretty clear Wagner has had them since Knapper arrived.

Don't forget how we started the season though, then Sarge's injury and gunn really derailed us (the other injuries we could/were just about coping with) and any team in this division would feel the loss of those two...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy said:

We play our best football when McLean is in the back four and Nunez & Sara are in midfield, the reason is that McLean  moves the ball forwards quicker and we have the players on the pitch to benefit from this.

Watching the highlights from yesterday McCallum has to stay and start, he’s crossing and attacking ability is far better than Giannoulis. We look a genuine threat and push the opposition back from attacking! Yes we do concede from having McCallum up the pitch occasionally but him in the team limits the attack in our end.

Can't disagree with any of this,  the Kenny evolution to CB is working and as you say allows a Nunez & Sara midfield. Also agree about McCallum,  not sure why he gets as much grief as he does I think he's a better all round player than Gianoulis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Can't disagree with any of this,  the Kenny evolution to CB is working and as you say allows a Nunez & Sara midfield. Also agree about McCallum,  not sure why he gets as much grief as he does I think he's a better all round player than Gianoulis.

Can't disagree with any of that either. I'll admit to a miner grumble when he took Sam off, but we know Wagner likes to keep the fullbacks fresh and Jack & Sam had put in one hell of a shift.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And replaced with some bloke from Arsenal and then all of a sudden we start thrashing teams and playing some of the best football we have seen all season? 

Coincidence?

Our form has been good for 18 games. It just doesn't suit a lot of posters egos to accept it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agreed - Cardiff were completely useless apart from the young boy Colwill who has a bright future. Some classy touches first half and instrumental in build up to their goal. Inexplicably, whoever is their current manager, decided to withdraw him into a much deeper midfield role thereby completely nullifying his influence. Cardiff disappeared as a result.  

Our performance v Coventry was better than yesterday as we were up against vastly better opposition. In fact Sky Blues are (I believe) our main threat to landing a Play Off spot. They are a very good side and (Leeds / Southampton apart) were the best side to visit FCR this season.  

Yes , I judge oppos on who stands out, only 27 Colwell took my eye. Easy to trash Cardiff but they were ahead, and my wba mate said they came close midweek. Looks like I got it wrong and Wagner has more about him than I thought; I admit I felt it just was working. 

Rumours regarding chap from Arsenal to replace Wagner may just be only that.  Or may have substance might be Knapper plan to take us forward.  And further might be knowledge regarding the additional funding provided by new owners.  Lots of speculation here might also be Knapper trying to give suppoorters a lift.  OK  doing well lately the support seems to give credit to the players rather than the coach.  Wagner unpopular with majority of supporters gleaned from posts on here and from interviews lately.  Besr indicators yet whatever happens this year on his way out, which can only be good news.  

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Rumours regarding chap from Arsenal to replace Wagner may just be only that.  Or may have substance might be Knapper plan to take us forward.

So it might be true, or it might not? Thanks for that.

4 minutes ago, pete said:

whatever happens this year on his way out, which can only be good news.  

Sacking the coach who gets us promotion “can only be good news”. Hmm…

6 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Don't forget how we started the season though, then Sarge's injury and gunn really derailed us (the other injuries we could/were just about coping with) and any team in this division would feel the loss of those two...

Almost exactly the same as last season when he took over with fewer genuinely quality players, then injuries to Dowell and Onel, before the horrendous end to last season seeing Gibson, Hanley and McClean injured.

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Can't disagree with any of that either. I'll admit to a miner grumble when he took Sam off, but we know Wagner likes to keep the fullbacks fresh and Jack & Sam had put in one hell of a shift.

You need to keep full-backs fresh when they cover the mileage needed in this formation. Their ability to get up and down also makes the forward press from Sargent more effective.

• Like 1

The Arsenal link came out about a week ago, but our form has been good for weeks. Many wanted Wagner sacked at the end of last season. There’s been rumours about him going pretty consistently through the majority of his tenure. 

Unsure how you could’ve gotten this more wrong?

Webber and Wagner must take the blame for the poor results and performances before Christmas. 
The make up of the squad for this season was principally Webber’s responsibility but Wagner must have had some input.

It was patently obvious that the squad was too big and lacked depth-there was a huge drop off in quality with a couple of injuries meaning the results and quality of play nosedived and we had to put up with absolute dross. Whilst you can’t have players of equal quality waiting on the sidelines, I’m afraid there was a real problem in the midfield and striker areas and the results and performances showed the lack of creativity, talent and goal threat.

Wagner has to take some of the blame but Webber is the main culprit. Scarce resources have been wasted on Batth and particularly the injury prone Forshaw.