Harry53

Apologising To David Wagner

Sometimes admitting we are wrong about something is hard,  and apologising doesn't come easy for some people. I get that. 

On Tuesday night, whether we voiced our annoyance of the substitutions or we thought it, (and I think 20000 fans thought "what is he doing?"), I feel David Wagner needs an apology. Yes  we all got it wrong. In hindsight the chanting and booing was wrong. Sure, if the players had sat on the turf showing they were injured,  it would have communicated just that, and we all would have understood the reasoning behind taking both players off. 

But that didn't happen. 

There has been much support in the media for DW and rightly so. 9 games at home unbeaten and 7th in the table. Yes, he has made bizarre team selections and substitutions during his tenure at City, but let's admit it,  we have the feel good factor back and playing some great football. 

He may or may not be the man to take us forward,  but I feel you guys in the Snake Pit and Barclay could at least show some recognition to how he has improved the team, and chant his name today,?

Let's heal this divide a little. Sure we have had a tough few months, but now is the time to support the one person who has turned our season around. David Wagner.

• Like 16

Exactly this.  We may not want him to stay beyond the end of this season, but fully supporting him and the team until the end is a must.

We have a chance to build some momentum for the next guy, hopefully Cuesta, so let's show some humility and give Wagner and the boys a real welcome this afternoon!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, astro said:

Club employees are up and about early this morning! 

I am a 70 y o fan in the South Stand. Don't be so ridiculous 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, astro said:

Club employees are up and about early this morning! 

Harry is right. We've all been guilty of grumbling and a lot of us are not big fans of Wagner but he has got us this far and quite close to what will be a good achievement so probably best to help out, keep the moans to a minimum and be the full on twelfth man that we are capable of being.

• Like 6

Really good post. In my posts this week I've been, if not defending, then at least trying to understand the reasons for booing on Tuesday night. But whatever you think about that, surely we can all agree that booing does not help the team and that they're more likely to succeed if we get behind them. And there is a lot to play for in these last 14 games. Time for everyone to pull together. On the ball, City.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

I am a 70 y o fan in the South Stand. Don't be so ridiculous 

Can you get the people round you singing today , that would be great show of support,  it would take a bit of pressure off the couple hundred who sing still.

Results have improved but he’s still regularly making poor selections snd iffy subs.

Happy to back the team today and hope that there is something of a reset in the atmosphere. But I won’t be singing Wagners name any time soon as I don’t think he should be there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing for anyone to apologise for, the substitutions at QPR were still in peoples mind, which Wagner didnt get right and people could see the potential for the same thing to hapoen

Its footbsll, people interact and react to what thet see in realtime, its not the theatre.

Has Wagner 'apologised' for every tactical and substitution error he's made this season after a bad result?... unlikely

Well I'm quite content to see Waggo's tenure out until the end of this season....as he's actually doing ok and I don't think the ruling upper echelons of the club are going to give him his P45 anytime soon....There is (in my opinion) no real actual point in replacing him at this latest stage of the season....Let's see where we finish come this May and what the close-season brings....

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Harry is right. We've all been guilty of grumbling and a lot of us are not big fans of Wagner but he has got us this far and quite close to what will be a good achievement so probably best to help out, keep the moans to a minimum and be the full on twelfth man that we are capable of being.

You know I remember seeing a lot of non Norwich fans mocking us and saying how embarrassing and entitled many Norwich fans have come across recently, with them seeing us as a bunch of moaners who expect us to win every match 3-0 and walk the leauge with ease..

They're not wrong

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Dear David

I briefly joined in a bit of booing on Tuesday … I apologise… 

I turn up , sit in silence for 80 minutes and then leave to beat the crowd,  should I apologise.  I am sure there is nothing better for a player to see, than the stands emptying in front of them with 10 mins to go. 

• Like 1

Good post from Harry.

A few on here claim to be whiter than white,  but even if you rule out the chanting and booing the audible response to the substitutions was significant. You can't prevent spontaneous reaction in a football ground or indeed be expected to apologise for it.

We move on, and hopefully we hear good support from the fans today and get another positive reaction from the players.

Those on the matchday thread can also set the tone for the narrative that will inevitably follow later today on here 😀 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You know I remember seeing a lot of non Norwich fans mocking us and saying how embarrassing and entitled many Norwich fans have come across recently, with them seeing us as a bunch of moaners who expect us to win every match 3-0 and walk the leauge with ease..

They're not wrong

Yep they are wrong,  if only it was all that simple. It's like all you judging now how others feel,  you have made up your minds about why probably a third of the ground booed. I had my 60 seconds of fame, and read what people said on social media about my reasons for doing something. They judge a person they didn't know, my reasons , my job, whether I was drunk, made up total lies. Don't 2nd guess why people do things.

I booed , the reason being the QPR substitution,  I only listened to it ,but we went from losing to getting in front , instead of continuing we went negative and conceded. I went to Coventry away , we took off every attacking player we had while winning and had no out ball and were lucky to get a point. Plus throwing away 2 goal leads doesn't help. I wa wrong to boo , big deal , I spend most of the game singing on my own. There's no harm in wanting to win every game and being disappointed to lose. Anyway I am sure I will be singing on my own again today. 

Edited by Sufyellow

13 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

I turn up , sit in silence for 80 minutes and then leave to beat the crowd,  should I apologise.  I am sure there is nothing better for a player to see, than the stands emptying in front of them with 10 mins to go. 

It amazes me that people leave early, especially when the scoreline is close. You must have missed so many goals and such drama over the years.

I’m curious, knowing what can happen at the end of a match, why do you feel the need to beat the crowds?

I wouldn’t go to the cinema and miss the last 10 mins of a movie so hard for me to understand. 

• Like 1

I think, by way of apology, we need to chant "you do know what you're doing" at some point today. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think Wagner and his support staff and NCFC leadership really ought to take the time to try to understand the root cause of all the frustration, and try to address that through open communication.

Part of the issue is the poor communication and the frustration that results is compounding match after match until it results in booing a winning team.

So I would not be too hard on us fans, there is a reason for this frustration and we haven’t seen the end of it. 

• Like 1

I’ve got to say all these threads and posts about how we should all behave and act and feel about the football have really made me re-assess how I am going to act today.

only kidding, whatever happens, happens. I’ll just act however I feel like. Thanks everyone for the unrequested advice though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

I think Wagner and his support staff and NCFC leadership really ought to take the time to try to understand the root cause of all the frustration, and try to address that through open communication.

Part of the issue is the poor communication and the frustration that results is compounding match after match until it results in booing a winning team.

So I would not be too hard on us fans, there is a reason for this frustration and we haven’t seen the end of it. 

I'm more concerned with action than communication. I'd like to know why Wagner got so little support in the transfer window by loaning out a striker, our 2nd or 3rd top scorer, and replacing him with someone not 'Championship ready'. That's hardly supporting a push for the play-offs. Injuries to Rowe and Sargent make that look even more ridiculous.

Just to caveat that, I hope SVH scores an important goal for us today.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I think, by way of apology, we need to chant "you do know what you're doing" at some point today. 

Trouble is just the team selection upsets alot, and that's an hour before kick off. 

10 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

To be fair too wagner , the problems are still from before him , personally I like him , it would be great if he did well,  but ambition for us all is promotion and this style and set up even with 2 or 3 better players added gets destroyed if we went up. I guess that's why everyone got excited during the week about a young coach who has never managed, new ideas..

26 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Or maybe hedge our bets a bit with, "hope you know what you're doing".

It does scan (just about).

In reality, the vast majority will sit in virtual silence anyway (as they're entitled to of course 🙄).

Edited by Scrivvy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1