Sign in to follow this  
The Raptor

Rules you'd like to see introduced into the game.

Blue cards and sin bins has been threatened today. 

Any rules you'd like to see brought into the game or changed?

I'm going for the player fouled for the free kick/penalty is the one who has to take it. Might encourage a few players to stay on their feet more if they know they're rubbish at free kicks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only the Captain can talk to the referee during the match-but works both ways, if he has reason to do so (and its not to give the ref a pile of abuse) then the ref has to listen to what he has to say regardless, even if, as is likely, it wouldn't influence him to change a decision or act upon it.

I'd keep VAR but the decisions should be made by the referee, not people in a studio somewhere. How does that work? Don't know. Maybe a bit like Hawkeye in tennis, the Captain (see above) has two calls per half to ask for a decision to be checked by VAR.

....and ban the bloody 'Can I Have Your Shirt?' bits of cardboard etc, I know, killjoy. But they all end up on eBay, so...

Offside law could be tweaked a bit-wasn't it once meant to be something along the lines of a body width or 'clear air', whatever, to constitute offside, not a bootlace.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Player falls to the ground screaming yet gets back up fine in the space of about five seconds? Yellow card.

Or use the blue card to trigger a post match review performed by a board of ex players and officials at the end of every matchweek able to give out retrospective punishments.

We'd see who gets up and behaves then.  In-fact, broadcast the decision making process - i'd tune in and watch it!

• Like 1

Increase the size of that absurd quarter triangle near the corner flag. The rules regarding the dimensions were brought in when games were played on what were basically open fields - then a player could get a good run up, not a yard, as now.

Require those who take a throw in take it from where the ball went out, not 15 yards further up the line. The lino can point to where they think the ball went out, any attempt to gain ground and the throw is forfeited and given to the opposition.

• Like 1

I’m not opposed to a sinbin type thing, but not quite sure how it would work in practice.  It’s maybe worth exploring.

I wondered about players who are red carded being banned for the return fixture - if there is one - so that the benefit is more felt by the side that was ‘wronged’.

I definitely think it a good idea for referee’s decisions to be clearer somehow, for people who are attending the game. We often don’t know for sure why a decision was made until a long time afterwards.

VAR

1. Video team to make referral only, referee to look at screen to decide.

2. No lines for offside decisions, naked eye only.

3. Follow principle of Women's World Cup with referee's clear announcement of outcome.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Blue cards and sin bins has been threatened today. 

Any rules you'd like to see brought into the game or changed?

I'm going for the player fouled for the free kick/penalty is the one who has to take it. Might encourage a few players to stay on their feet more if they know they're rubbish at free kicks.

Does that include those forced to go off injured?

I'd like to suggest that after scoring, that team gets a free shot from the halfway line but it's not allowed to bounce before going in.

I'd also like to suggest that instead of calling them 'goals', we refer to them as 'touchdowns', and the newly introduced halfway line shot be named 'conversions'.

Also I think all officials should be mounted with headsets and communicate with the crowd who must be eating either a hotdog, corndog or burger.  And also the introduction of quarterly breaks and an extended half time period allowing for further entertainment.

In-between that a minimum of 5 minutes of onfield play would seem an adequate requirement.

Finally,  i'd like all surrounding trees to be filled with woodpeckers, so I can take my ticket and shove it firmly up one of their holes, and sod off down the pub instead.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

0-0 means nil points for both teams.

Whereby both teams would conspire to score against each other in the last few minutes

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Player falls to the ground screaming yet gets back up fine in the space of about five seconds? Yellow card.

That deserves a public flogging at the end of the match 

• Like 1

Salary cap.

No talking back to, or touching any official. Instant yellow card.

Tougher penalties for cheating...ie time wasting, diving, throw ins taken further afield.

I'd like no offside rule.

Have an off field timekeeper who stops the clock when the ball is not in play - reduce the length of the halves to compensate.

There would be no point time wasting any more nor this silly arbitrary minimum injury time on the refs discretion. The off field clock shown so the crowd know exactly how long there is left.

• Like 2

Goalkeeper has to take the first penality in a penalty shoot out. 

Get 2 goals from a penalty if you point to exactly where you are going to play the ball and still score past the keeper. A bit like the black ball in pool! Naff idea, just I kept typing! 

Miss a pen or saved a pen, the ball goes dead. Goal kick. 

Kids £5. Adults capped at £25. Posh seats £200. 

Bring back half time Sumo. 

Just now, Hairy Canary said:

Have an off field timekeeper who stops the clock when the ball is not in play - reduce the length of the halves to compensate.

There would be no point time wasting any more nor this silly arbitrary minimum injury time on the refs discretion. The off field clock shown so the crowd know exactly how long there is left.

That I like a lot. 40 mins playing time... 

26 minutes ago, Keyneton Canary said:

I'd like no offside rule.

It'd certainly give the game a kick up the rear and force managers to rethink their approach. 

I'd be interested to know if a change like this would aid the likes of Man City's dominance, or hinder it, you can only imagine what a player like Haaland could do if he had total freedom to extend into the space behind defenders.

Automatic yellow card for:-

picking up the ball to delay the opposition taking a quick throw in, free kick, corner or goal kick.

not immediately retreating 10 yards at a free kick.

Although not ideal, all games are watched after the event and any diving/cheating not spotted or not acted upon by the referee is punished by an automatic 3 match ban.

A fourth official becomes the time keeper and the match clock is visible to the crowd. The clock is stopped when there is a break in play for injuries, yellow/red cards, substitutions and breaks in play longer than the norm. This would mean the crowd would have certainty as to how much time is left in the game and possibly reduce deliberate time wasting. Referees have enough to do without time keeping as well. How many times have fans scratched their heads when the added time is shown?

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It'd certainly give the game a kick up the rear and force managers to rethink their approach. 

I'd be interested to know if a change like this would aid the likes of Man City's dominance, or hinder it, you can only imagine what a player like Haaland could do if he had total freedom to extend into the space behind defenders.

I reckon you would have to mark a beast with another beast

Easy. I would make the player who wins any set piece have to take the set piece if they weren’t able to then a nominated player would have to take it maybe the captain. It would be easy to implement at all levels. It would speed up the game a lot

You may ask why for a few reasons 

1) Too many games are decided by set pieces this rule would lessen the advantage of teams who rely on set piece routines

2) linked to the above diving, most dives are done to win set pieces. I feel particularly in the penalty area this rule would deter dives as the diver would have to get the resulting penalty. 

The referee must always be eating a sandwich when any angry manager pays a visit post match to query his decisions.

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Also, if a player fouled has to receive treatment and go off the field, why oh why doesn’t the player who commits the foul go off as well, maybe for an extra 30 seconds. The team taking the free kick are penalised by being a man short? CRAZY!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The referee must always be eating a sandwich when any angry manager pays a visit post match to query his decisions.

Certainly no Wilder than other suggestions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some excellent ideas, I think we should send this thread to the FA (maybe remove Buh’s post about Delia bitty first).

Also, I would extend the sandwich idea and make all players eat a set number of sandwiches throughout the game. They can wolf them down as quick as possible at the start, or space them out, but their team concedes a goal for each one left uneaten after 90 minutes. Instead of free kicks, each player on the offending team gets an additional sandwich to eat. Penalties it’s a club sandwich and a packet of crisps. Subs obviously pick up the quota of the player they are replacing - can you imagine Onel coming on when someone has eaten their full ration already with ten minutes to go? He might even score.

• Haha 1

I still think any player committing a foul throw should be booked. 

And with all this blue card talk; give one of those to any player failing to beat the first man from a set piece. 

How about the rule from rugby where dissent against an awarded infringement gets the ball moved forward five yards.

Becomes interesting at the edge of the box of course

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

There would be no space behind the defenders as they would defend on the 6 yard line. 

If you try to gain an advantage by moving the ball laid for a set piece ('Ivan Toney style'), the referee gets to fill your pants with his white spray, and if you display any emotion during the ordeal, you immediately receive a red card.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Diving should be rewarded with a kick/elbow to the head. Let's literally knock it out of them.