I've just had a look on Transfermarkt to check our stats - with and without Josh Sargent. Here they are:

Games with JS starting: 8

Won: 6 (75%)

Drew: 1 (vs Saints)

Lost: 1 (vs Leeds)

Games without JS (including two recent sub appearances): 22

Won: 7 (32%) - all opponents are currently in the bottom half of the table

Drew: 4

Lost: 11 (50%)

Sargent has scored 6 goals in 10 appearances, which is an excellent record and I'm delighted that he's bossing the Championship now that he's first choice striker. He's only 23, so he is only now coming into his peak.

Whilst I believe Wagner could've adapted to Sargent's loss quicker and better, the above stats do put his absence into perspective. It also makes the remainder of the season rather interesting, if we can keep our key players fit. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's great. Let's hope he sticks around for as long as possible.

Hes young (as noted) and has a 2-3 year old. Lets hope his GF / wife goes down the same path that some of our previous players have and realise that Norfolk is a great place to raise ones kids.

GET MRS HUCKS ON IT!!!

43 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He's great. Let's hope he sticks around for as long as possible.

Now many say the current norwich team is poor but we now have 5 players we are scared of losing gunn Sara Sainz Rowe and sergeant

Of the other 6 Stacey apart there are 2 Scottish internationals a greek international a Chilean international and an Irish i ternational. And just before we go on to the rest of the squad thet include a Swiss international and a Cuban international as well as long Barnes mccallum gibson and gibbs and van hoydonck

Now what is it that the many know that at least 7 international managers don't?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Irreplaceable. I hope we keep him for a proper promotion push next season. I fear we might struggle, though.

Easily our best player personally.

He wasn’t ready for what he was bought for but we are reaping the rewards of that mistake now.

There’s a real shortage of genuine number 9s, he’ll be worth a small fortune if we are forced to sell.

25 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Now many say the current norwich team is poor but we now have 5 players we are scared of losing gunn Sara Sainz Rowe and sergeant

Of the other 6 Stacey apart there are 2 Scottish internationals a greek international a Chilean international and an Irish i ternational. And just before we go on to the rest of the squad thet include a Swiss international and a Cuban international as well as long Barnes mccallum gibson and gibbs and van hoydonck

Er............a knowledge of football that amounts to f*ck-all maybe ? 

2 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Hes young (as noted) and has a 2-3 year old. Lets hope his GF / wife goes down the same path that some of our previous players have and realise that Norfolk is a great place to raise ones kids.

GET MRS HUCKS ON IT!!!

I hope so. He's got club legend written all over him... just needs to do the time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Yeah we do have some decent players all over but it's undeniable that without Sarge we were nowhere near where we are when he is playing. Absolutely key to us like no other player is (Rowe, Sainz, Sara, Gunn included). He's the one that makes the difference.

The next World Cup is in the states in 2026. Would suggest all talk of what he does next is through that lens. He signed a new contract here awhile back maybe and hoping his plan is to stay here until then and make his move after the tournament when his stock is at its highest.

He's only 23. On reflection, a superb signing even if he didn't offer enough in the Prem (although he was played out wide which we all know isn't his best)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

I suspect they might know that a squad with that much talent should never be 15 points behind last year's League One runners-up? And that with all that said talent, it might be quite frustrating to watch football that has at times this season been pretty turgid? And again, with all that talent, maybe they could be achieving more with better coaching/leadership?

You clearly think we've got a talented squad, why do you think we're 9th in the Championship?

• Like 1

From our first few games, I think it was quite clear that we had an attacking plan which had Josh as the figurehead and played to his strengths. 

When he got injured, we struggled to adapt - Idah, Barnes and Hwang weren't able to fill in for Sargent, different types of players and we suffered, massively. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're improving with Sargent back in the team. Whether we can sustain this to the end remains to be seen, but we're a much better team with a proper, able and confident No.9 at the sharp end of it; everyone benefits from that. 

2 hours ago, mrdi said:

we struggled to adapt -

Replace "we" with Wagner and I'll agree. People, please don't forget that period without "Sargent Barnes" when Wagner persisted in playing the same structure. It has taken a combination of Knapper's arrival and the return of Sargent Barnes for decent performances to emerge. Even a "let's not lose this" type set up during that period without "Sargent Barnes" and we would have been comfortably play-off contenders. I hope Wagner has learnt his lesson but more, that Knapper keeps the pressure on.

Yes people. Perleeeease don’t say anything to suggest the whingers could have been wrong. Especially as the current run started early November and the whingeing didn’t ease until about a  fortnight ago…

:classic_ninja:

It wasnt long ago many , including myself couldnt see him scoring in a brothel . What game in the prem was it that he didnt hit it hard enough to go into the open net ?

Ive always liked him though as he always comes across as a very decent guy .

I thought he was older than 23.

23 hours ago, mrdi said:

From our first few games, I think it was quite clear that we had an attacking plan which had Josh as the figurehead and played to his strengths. 

When he got injured, we struggled to adapt - Idah, Barnes and Hwang weren't able to fill in for Sargent, different types of players and we suffered, massively. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that we're improving with Sargent back in the team. Whether we can sustain this to the end remains to be seen, but we're a much better team with a proper, able and confident No.9 at the sharp end of it; everyone benefits from that. 

Our reliance on him is a little worrying although obviously only a problem if he gets injured.

I don’t think I can recall a squad quite so reliant on one players fitness in terms of how we are able to play or perform and weirdly it’s not scoring goals we have a problem with when he’s not there, it’s defending and the general shape of the team due to missing his work rate up top.

It is certainly questionable, when a style of play is quite so reliant on one player, not to have at least one similar player in reserve and also doesn’t say a lot for Wagner that he was not able to adapt to his absence better than he did.

That said he’s back now and if he can stay fit you feel we have a good chance of top 6 and then anything can happen. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Replace "we" with Wagner and I'll agree. People, please don't forget that period without "Sargent Barnes" when Wagner persisted in playing the same structure. It has taken a combination of Knapper's arrival and the return of Sargent Barnes for decent performances to emerge. Even a "let's not lose this" type set up during that period without "Sargent Barnes" and we would have been comfortably play-off contenders. I hope Wagner has learnt his lesson but more, that Knapper keeps the pressure on.

28 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Our reliance on him is a little worrying although obviously only a problem if he gets injured.

I don’t think I can recall a squad quite so reliant on one players fitness in terms of how we are able to play or perform and weirdly it’s not scoring goals we have a problem with when he’s not there, it’s defending and the general shape of the team due to missing his work rate up top.

It is certainly questionable, when a style of play is quite so reliant on one player, not to have at least one similar player in reserve and also doesn’t say a lot for Wagner that he was not able to adapt to his absence better than he did.

That said he’s back now and if he can stay fit you feel we have a good chance of top 6 and then anything can happen. 

Take Pukki out of Farke's side for the length of time we missed Sargent and?

We saw the impact missing Emi for just a few games made to our ability to create chances under Farke.

It's not unusual to be so reliant on a pivotal player.

Look at Ipswich, 13 points clear of Southampton and flying, but no big injuries. Losing Hirst up front and suddenly it all changes.

This is the championship. Titles and promotion is often determined by a single player having a standout season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Take Pukki out of Farke's side for the length of time we missed Sargent and?

We saw the impact missing Emi for just a few games made to our ability to create chances under Farke.

It's not unusual to be so reliant on a pivotal player.

Look at Ipswich, 13 points clear of Southampton and flying, but no big injuries. Losing Hirst up front and suddenly it all changes.

This is the championship. Titles and promotion is often determined by a single player having a standout season.

Yes we would struggle without Pukki and indeed we did without Emi. But what is different with Sargent is that the entire way we play seems to fall apart when he’s not there. Whereas when the others were out we just lost attacking threat. That’s what I meant. I’ve not seen a situation before, where a striker being out has such an impact on its defensive abilities. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes we would struggle without Pukki and indeed we did without Emi. But what is different with Sargent is that the entire way we play seems to fall apart when he’s not there. Whereas when the others were out we just lost attacking threat. That’s what I meant. I’ve not seen a situation before, where a striker being out has such an impact on its defensive abilities. 

We lost defensive capability without Emi too. He was usually one of the best in the team for getting the ball back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Most clubs at our level will always be reliant on a couple of good players though, as they simply can’t afford to fill the squad with too expensive talent.

Under Farke we were ridiculously dependant on Buendia (our form without him was relegation material from memory, even the season we walked the league), if he had been injured for a long spell as Sargent has been we would have likely finished in the playoffs at best. You always need an element of luck in the championship that your best players will stay fit, without them most will struggle to be consistent 

I personally think Wagner could have adapted his tactics faster than he did, but the return of the bulk of the first team players has largely coincided with our uptick in form 

Edited by Fen Canary

In Sara, Saintz, Sargent and Rowe we now have our most potent strike-force since the day of Fox, Sutton and Ekuku.

Some might disagree and point to the Buendia/Pukki partnership, along with others in support, but I feel that this current lot have a more varied array of talent, and a greater variety of goal-getting. We are surely not as dependent upon the Sarge as we were with Emi, but it might be a close run thing.

Fitness dependent, this manager should be sufficiently equipped to get this side into a play-off place. If he fails, it will surely be down to his tactical/selection limitations. Some managers read a game well, and Mark Robins is an excellent example of this. I'm not quite so sure about David Wagner.

I like Wagner very much. He is infectious. The players are clearly behind him a lot. That is a very valuable commodity for any team and manager to find themselves with. Let's hope he will, eventually, prove to be up to the task, as there now seems to be no more excuses available to him.

As an aside, I think that Sam McCallum is proving to be a more than useful asset and is increasingly beginning to justify the faith the club has had in him. I like Dimi, but he is expensive and inconsistent. It's Sam's role from now on for me.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

On 05/02/2024 at 11:42, canarydan23 said:

I suspect they might know that a squad with that much talent should never be 15 points behind last year's League One runners-up? And that with all that said talent, it might be quite frustrating to watch football that has at times this season been pretty turgid? And again, with all that talent, maybe they could be achieving more with better coaching/leadership?

You clearly think we've got a talented squad, why do you think we're 9th in the Championship?

Whether norwich are 8th in the championship tonight is as irrelevant as the fact that ipswich came second in league one. last year. My point is that many posters were saying the team was poor. Clearly they are not.

What matters is where norwich are after 46 matches. And it doesn't matter that the game at Loftus Road was only drawn. Wi nimg all home games and drawing all away games gets norwich to 76. Virtually no team fails to make the playoffs with 76 points.

Many people predicted at the beginning of the season norwich would be relegated. Norwich  currently have 8 points more than the team relegated from 22nd place with the fewest points this century with a mere 15 games to play.

Now out of this poor team the many are expecting gunn Rowe Sara sainz and sergeant to be sold Leaving aside the attanasio factor

Who would want them amd how come they are playing so well under bad coaching

Lastly the other reason for norwich being 9th is that they have played away at the teams in the top 6 mote than any other team in the top 12. It follows from this that they have the easiest run i

I think CID is correct but as I don't swear I could not possibly quote him.

On 06/02/2024 at 12:34, Jim Smith said:

You never saw Ron Davies then...🤩

1 hour ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Many people predicted at the beginning of the season norwich would be relegated.

No they didn't. 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2024 at 13:22, Yellow and Green said:

I've just had a look on Transfermarkt to check our stats - with and without Josh Sargent. Here they are:

Games with JS starting: 8

Won: 6 (75%)

Drew: 1 (vs Saints)

Lost: 1 (vs Leeds)

Games without JS (including two recent sub appearances): 22

Won: 7 (32%) - all opponents are currently in the bottom half of the table

Drew: 4

Lost: 11 (50%)

Sargent has scored 6 goals in 10 appearances, which is an excellent record and I'm delighted that he's bossing the Championship now that he's first choice striker. He's only 23, so he is only now coming into his peak.

Whilst I believe Wagner could've adapted to Sargent's loss quicker and better, the above stats do put his absence into perspective. It also makes the remainder of the season rather interesting, if we can keep our key players fit. 

Utterly meaningless as they're not set against any control. No factoring in any of the numerous variables in the games.  No provable cause and effect.

You might just as well claim that when our attendance figures end with a number between 0-4 we have won more home games.  The point there being, to follow the above 'reasoning', to ensure that the attendance figure does not end with any of the 5 numbers from 5-9.