It's clear why SVH has an option to buy clause and Idah doesn't. We all know Knapper wants to lower the age of our squad. At 34 years old, striker Barnes is the eldest player in our squad, and so I think Knapper will ditch him this summer. SVH turns 24 next week, and Idah is 23. SVH is being looked as a possible replacement for Barnes, and Idah has been sent out on loan to try and improve him

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

It's clear why SVH has an option to buy clause and Idah doesn't. We all know Knapper wants to lower the age of our squad. At 34 years old, striker Barnes is the eldest player in our squad, and so I think Knapper will ditch him this summer. SVH turns 24 next week, and Idah is 23. SVH is being looked as a possible replacement for Barnes, and Idah has been sent out on loan to try and improve him

I can't see many clubs being willing to take Barnes off our hands.

5 minutes ago, repman said:

Wouldn't matter if we release him. 

Or maybe a Rotherham or someone going down to L1 would take a punt on him. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

12 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wouldn't matter if we release him. 

Or maybe a Rotherham or someone going down to L1 would take a punt on him. 

We’d have to pay him off. As it’s hard to see anyone wanting to match what we pay him. And therefore why would he move. Unless it was for the love of that club. I bet he’s here next season. But more of a bench role. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S_81 said:

We’d have to pay him off. As it’s hard to see anyone wanting to match what we pay him. And therefore why would he move. Unless it was for the love of that club. I bet he’s here next season. But more of a bench role. 

Oh of course I don't see anyone matching our contract for him and that just highlights what a stupid move it was to give a 33/34 year old a multi year contract. 

Maybe him moving into the 4th choice striker role with a part coaching role for the younger lads.. although that hinders any academy products. 🤷🤷 I think I'd bite the bullet and pay him off. He's only going to decline more. Shame it isn't the AshBash of 4/5 years ago. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, repman said:

Would be a fair few lower end of champ or league one who would snap him up for sure 

3 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Oh of course I don't see anyone matching our contract for him and that just highlights what a stupid move it was to give a 33/34 year old a multi year contract. 

Maybe him moving into the 4th choice striker role with a part coaching role for the younger lads.. although that hinders any academy products. 🤷🤷 I think I'd bite the bullet and pay him off. He's only going to decline more. Shame it isn't the AshBash of 4/5 years ago. 

Yes but this decision was made (or at least recommended) by that 'wonderful' Stuart chap! 'You absolutely have no idea'! posting such comment.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Tin hat on...

RvW was a quality striker who we completely mis used.

Absolutely,

We could have had R9 up top that season and he wouldn't have scored in that system.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Absolutely,

We could have had R9 up top that season and he wouldn't have scored in that system.

RVW would have thrived under Farke. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, repman said:

I wonder if we'd seek to lower him down to playing a bit part and having him as a mentor, potential forward coach, as we're seemingly looking at more physical presence up top.

I remember him pre-season at the forum saying that he loves the country life and is hoping to finish, and live round here.  He most likely knows he isn't going to be up to much next season, no matter where he plays and is it worth cocking yourself up just for an extra season in lower league?

Edited by Google Bot

7 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Said this to my boss today

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Big Man/Little Man Pukki combo with Emi behind, ooooft.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

No, he won't be ditching Barnes. 

If we do bring this guy in, what's the betting he doesn't get played for a month as he isn't up to our elite level match fitness levels?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

He wouldnt  ...Pukki had the body strength to hold off defenders when put through one on one . RVW was as weak as pi$s and was bullied by defenders

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He wouldnt  ...Pukki had the body strength to hold off defenders when put through one on one . RVW was as weak as pi$s and was bullied by defenders

Tbh he was bullied by his own teammates!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yep, Pukki 10x the player RvW was. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, Pukki 10x the player RvW was. 

And at 0% of the price.  What's that hashtag you were thinking of starting, again? :classic_wink:

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Not a widely-viewed opinion but........I tend to agree.

He was never a lone striker type and needed a target man to feed off ..............something which the then-incumbent regime singularly failed to grasp 🤨

Imagine if he'd been playing off Holty.. I am pretty sure we would of been close to seeing the striker we all hoped for

• Like 1

When we signed RvW he’d just won the golden boot in the Portuguese first tier. For many years he was regarded as a complete flop, but there is now a lot of belief that Hughton’s “park the bus” style of play just didn’t suit him (he scored on his debut, but that was probably because he still hadn’t adapted to it) and he would done well under Farke. Whether he would have been as great as Pukki is another matter - as said, Pukki was a free agent but that was because he’d rejected a new contract at Brondby

Anyone getting Grant Holt vibes from watching his highlights?  Maybe it's late, but I see a lot of tap ins and being in the right place which Grant was great at.

Probably not as technical as Holt in regards to the angles he could work, but he has added mobility and seems to be a thorn in the box.

The only thing that concerns me is that we don't really push to get the ball in the box for the chances that he's taking on those highlights.  

Edited by Google Bot

Van Wolfswinkel:

A full season with AS Saint-Etienne in the French top-flight L1 not being managed by Chris Hughton - five goals in 28 apppearences and ends the season as an unused sub.

A full season with Real Betis in the Spanish top-flight La Liga not being managed by Chris Hughton - one goal in 16 appearences and ends the season as an unused sub.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

When we signed RvW he’d just won the golden boot in the Portuguese first tier. For many years he was regarded as a complete flop, but there is now a lot of belief that Hughton’s “park the bus” style of play just didn’t suit him (he scored on his debut, but that was probably because he still hadn’t adapted to it) and he would done well under Farke. Whether he would have been as great as Pukki is another matter - as said, Pukki was a free agent but that was because he’d rejected a new contract at Brondby

It’s not even a question, the idea is ridiculous.

Personally I think we missed something with rvw but.... We'll never know, plus it ended up with pukki so nothing to bad

58 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Van Wolfswinkel:

A full season with AS Saint-Etienne in the French top-flight L1 not being managed by Chris Hughton - five goals in 28 apppearences and ends the season as an unused sub.

A full season with Real Betis in the Spanish top-flight La Liga not being managed by Chris Hughton - one goal in 16 appearences and ends the season as an unused sub.

Absolutely mental to think some suggest he could’ve been a star under Farke! The Dutch league is miles off the required standard of the EPL.. which is the worry with VH.  RVW wouldn’t have made it at any club in the EPL. He was heavily scouted and courted for years before we signed him by the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool… with all but Norwich correctly reaching they conclusion of not good enough.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Absolutely mental to think some suggest he could’ve been a star under Farke! The Dutch league is miles off the required standard of the EPL.. which is the worry with VH.  RVW wouldn’t have made it at any club in the EPL. He was heavily scouted and courted for years before we signed him by the likes of Newcastle and Liverpool… with all but Norwich correctly reaching they conclusion of not good enough.

And who was the manager at Newcastle United at the time they took an interest in van Wolfswinkel…

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And who was the manager at Newcastle United at the time they took an interest in van Wolfswinkel…

I don't know, but from the tone of your question I presume Hughton? Which says alot if so!

43 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I don't know, but from the tone of your question I presume Hughton? Which says alot if so!

Yes!