Sign in to follow this  
Rhino1

Boo boys put in their place but let’s not go over the top

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer, or indeed a good adult movie either. That said, that's at least four certain defeats in the eyes of many (Ipswich away, Southampton at home, Hull away, WBA at home) that resulted in 8 points.

Considering we couldn't scrap our way to points too well under Farke, we're doing OK at it under Wagner.

Which suggests we aren't as bad as some like to make out.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Re your second half, I mean we had the best 2 chances of the game and they were goals, their chances weren't as good as I think you're making them out to be. 

I think several of the ‘decent chances’ people are remembering for them were actually offsides, so totally irrelevant.  In terms of ‘real’ chances they had nothing out of their shots  of the same quality as the two goals.  

Great win.

But IMV

WBA totally toothless. Their strikers were as bad as we’ve seen this season. 
Was it a really enjoyable match. No, too much possession for the opposition. Too tentative at time with the press and still wide open through the midfield. (Solvable by dropping the totally anonymous Barnes and playing 5 in midfield.)

If that’s an away performance then you can say great win great performance but at home we play like the away side. Playing on the counter will only take you so far at home.

we must start to control home games if we are to turn a corner. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Well b back said:

A genuine question, how come some of the regular posters like you were nowhere to be seen last night ? 

I was at the game

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

I thought yesterday was one of our most spirited away performances Wagner has served up all season, personally.

Are you OK? I like this Buh much more. Good to see you join the Wagner love in!

Just now, nu_matik said:

Are you OK? I like this Buh much more. Good to see you join the Wagner love in!

It was a classic Wagner smash and grab away win

In fairness the team has been spirited most of the season a prime example of this is S **** away where despite obviously being the inferior team all 11 players put in a hard shift which got us the draw!

25 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Papering over the cracks. 
Yes, a win is good and bought smiles on a freezing day. Most of the smiles around me were of tha I didnt expect that and I thought the baggies were better. 
Got Dave for another week. 

Have a word will you! Nowhere near the better team, some stats might point that way but we entertained, battled, scored 2, won the 3 points and kept a clean sheet. All the most important stuff 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Always thought Jack was the more sensible of the two until the derby as when the binners took the lead he posted some very nasty negative stuff only to then instantly delete the tweets when we scored and has since ignored anyone asking him about that

He's a b*ll end. I can't stand him nowadays... I was in your camp, thought he was the better one once upon a time.

20 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Great win.

But IMV

Was it a really enjoyable match. No, too much possession for the opposition. Too tentative at time with the press and still wide open through the midfield. (Solvable by dropping the totally anonymous Barnes and playing 5 in midfield.)

If that’s an away performance then you can say great win great performance but at home we play like the away side. Playing on the counter will only take you so far at home.

Interesting that you say because we played a rubbish team. Put into context they have recently beaten both Leeds and Ipswich, so can’t be that bad ?

And I am no supporter of Wagner, but yesterday he got it spot on, so only time will tell if it was the injuries that caused our problems.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Which suggests we aren't as bad as some like to make out.

We aren’t. I always thought the question was more are we as good as we should be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We had 13 shots, 6 on target. Brom had 16 shots with 4 on target.

At full time

17 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Interesting that you say because we played a rubbish team. Put into context they have recently beaten both Leeds and Ipswich, so can’t be that bad ?

And I am no supporter of Wagner, but yesterday he got it spot on, so only time will tell if it was the injuries that caused our problems.

I don’t agree he got it spot on. He did make the necessary changes in the second half when WBA were on top but in my view Nunez should have been on instead of Barnes from the start. Had WBA played in the first half as they did in the second it may have been a different game as for 20 minutes or so they cut us open at will. That has been our problem all season. If Wagner starts with Barnes alongside Sargent at Leeds it will in my view be a big error. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Imagine being convinced everything is fine by one win allll the time

embarrassing.

Yes, your post is embarrassing. Here are the tables based on the last 6 and 10 games. 

To save you working it out our current 10 game form equates to around 83 points for a full season. 

Edit - I've extended to the top 15 of the last 6 games for obvious reasons 

Screenshot_20240121_120715_Chrome.thumb.jpg.80a534fb24a36057be49b9417b37ff57.jpg

Screenshot_20240121_120023_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1cde4009403b89605faf2f34bd247a4f.jpgScreenshot_20240121_120003_Chrome.thumb.jpg.300eb21b5046f5041fa92141336e9b71.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

As much as it was great to see Norwich win yesterday, it was almost as pleasurable to see the boo boys eat humble pie! Sticking their immature, childish, grass is greener rants, in their pipes and smoking it. The hideously negative Jack Reeve of talknorwichcity, was desperately disappointed he couldn’t slag off the team again! Warner’s interview on Canary call, shows how much negative impact that idiots like Reeve & his boo boy army undermine the team!! But balance is clearly needed and we mustn’t go over the top and get carried away, there were spells of excellent football, but WBA had 5 or 6 clear cut chances, with men free in the box, with Gibson flapping around like a lost sole. We do seem to be easy to cut through at times, an Oliver Skipp figure is still desperately needed, if we are seriously going to make a charge! 

Posts about negativity towards the team and then in the same breath singles out Gibson….

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Posts about negativity towards the team and then in the same breath singles out Gibson….

Does everything have to be black and white? I disagree that this was our best performance of the season, I saw better v Saints Huddersfield away, but it was the most professional. WBA are a more mature side than us, mentally stronger, but lacking up front, despite Ashanti’s improved form. We have some quality but I suspect we will continue to be inconsistent, it’s a slow and long road for the club after sailing high and getting burnt. OTBC

1 minute ago, Corbs1 said:

Does everything have to be black and white? I disagree that this was our best performance of the season, I saw better v Saints Huddersfield away, but it was the most professional. WBA are a more mature side than us, mentally stronger, but lacking up front, despite Ashanti’s improved form. We have some quality but I suspect we will continue to be inconsistent, it’s a slow and long road for the club after sailing high and getting burnt. OTBC

I’m not the one having a pop at posters about being negative and then (in the same breath) being negative

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It was a classic Wagner smash and grab away win

Which part of us winning don't you like?

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Great win.

But IMV

Would that be the same West Brom who won 4-1 only last week? 

Lets look at the facts! -

We won 2-0 against a team which will almost certainly be in the top 10 come the end of the season and likely closer to the top 6 than 10th place! WBA have beaten Ipswich (comfortably by all accounts) and Leeds in recent weeks!

Very professional, spirited, organised performance and confidence is rising. We have become more defensively sound and as a result harder to beat!

We have attacking players who can hurt the opposition!

Forget about possession stats, most of our high possession stats of the last two seasons have been largely made up by the 4 defenders and goalkeeper playing low tempo, non penatrative, tippy tappy stuff in front of our penalty box.

Not a perfect performance but then again I've seen 5 title winning seasons and numorous other decent seasons in that time and its rare to get a perfect performance. In fact both of Farkes title winning seasons  and Lamberts two promotion seasons contained many games that we just about scraped through! - We all tend to look back at good seasons with rose tinted yellow and green specs on!

In summary - It was alright!

Edited by kingsway
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We had 13 shots, 6 on target. Brom had 16 shots with 4 on target.

Majority for WBA would’ve been second half which makes sense  

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes, your post is embarrassing. Here are the tables based on the last 6 and 10 games. 

To save you working it out our current 10 game form equates to around 83 points for a full season. 

Edit - I've extended to the top 15 of the last 6 games for obvious reasons 

Screenshot_20240121_120715_Chrome.thumb.jpg.80a534fb24a36057be49b9417b37ff57.jpg

Screenshot_20240121_120023_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1cde4009403b89605faf2f34bd247a4f.jpgScreenshot_20240121_120003_Chrome.thumb.jpg.300eb21b5046f5041fa92141336e9b71.jpg

If when we are on a good run of form we are doing just enough to finish 6th, how do we actually finish 6th?

6 hours ago, Rhino1 said:

As much as it was great to see Norwich win yesterday, it was almost as pleasurable to see the boo boys eat humble pie! Sticking their immature, childish, grass is greener rants, in their pipes and smoking it. The hideously negative Jack Reeve of talknorwichcity, was desperately disappointed he couldn’t slag off the team again! Warner’s interview on Canary call, shows how much negative impact that idiots like Reeve & his boo boy army undermine the team!! But balance is clearly needed and we mustn’t go over the top and get carried away, there were spells of excellent football, but WBA had 5 or 6 clear cut chances, with men free in the box, with Gibson flapping around like a lost sole. We do seem to be easy to cut through at times, an Oliver Skipp figure is still desperately needed, if we are seriously going to make a charge! 

The club has seen all manner of numpties who have attached themselves to us, who believe we are a natural PL club and any deviation from that is not the same as befell more than a dozen ex PL clubs in the CHs and L1, but down to some dastardly ploy by Delia and hubby to do us down.

An Oliver Skipp is NOT needed. As much as his supposed mythical status is among some, he cannot be in four places at once.   It is not the inability to challenge effectively but the tactic of not challenging that is where the fault lies. The opposition are left unmarked in midfield and are able to take the ball to our 18 yard box before we decide to do something. Thankfully v WBA it was mostly to flight crosses in. This 'tactic' is regularly commentated on, during game and in match reports. We are too open, too easy for the opposition etc. 

Watch the game v Leeds and you will see my point. The opposition player has the ball near the half way line and has at least a couple of options (unmarked) to pass to. That is not a quirk of that time, it is a deliberate play. The same flawed thought that has that empty spaces score, so at corners you need to mark those spaces. One that is slowly disappearing as we seem to be back to man marking now. Let's get back to doing that in the middle of the pitch.

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

If when we are on a good run of form we are doing just enough to finish 6th, how do we actually finish 6th?

If - between now and the end of the season - we stay in 6th spot in the form table, it seems quite likely we would finish in the top 6. The other sides aren’t in ‘fixed’ positions.  Clearly there’s a hell of a lot of work to do to be anything like that high.

35 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Looking at the current table in conjunction with current form I would guess that the top 5 will be 

Southampton

Leicester 

Leeds

Coventry 

Ipswich 

In order to get 6th we need to get 4 points more than WBA over the remaining games. That is possible based on the last 10 games. 

The really big issue with us is finally having Sargent and Sainz fit. We have also missed Hanley, Gunn and Barnes for long periods. Our results with Sargent playing are even better than the last 6 performances. 

IN THE 8 GAMES SARGENT HAS STARTED THIS SEASON WE HAVE GAINED 20 POINTS. 

That is a strong play off line up but we have an advantage over the others in that we now have players fit who can win us games even when we don't play well. 

I wouldn't bet on us going up but I wouldn't bet against it either. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

We aren’t. I always thought the question was more are we as good as we should be.

Quite, which I believe we are not and could be under another coach.

However some just see it all in black and white with no shades of grey in between. 

At the moment 6th place is on target to finish on 70 points - meaning we need an average 1.6 points per game to finish on and around 6th. Over the past 6 & 10 games we have achieved that figure (slightly above). I appreciate that one result here or there can throw those figures out, but the games in question have included four who were/are above us.

The key point will undoubtedly be keeping players fit, but perhaps more importantly, maintaining the 'urgency' seen in our last two games. The determination to win. A target of 3 points v Leeds and Coventry is not beyond our ability. We have to keep grind out results. Get into the top six and it is ours to lose.

• Like 1

We have an opportunity now which a month or more ago seemed very unlikely. Can't help thinking we need to strengthen the squad before the window closes. A DM is a must in my view; both to get Sara further forward and to sweep up when the fullbacks are further up the pitch.

We may not have that opportunity next season especially if we lose Rowe and others. We're close to being solid play-off contenders or mid-table nothing. It would be massively frustrating if we just drift to nothingness.