Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Club Canary/Cabbage

The post about coach prices made me think about Club Canary/Cabbage.

I have a vague recollection of being on the first trip that the newly created travel club took.

Does anyone remember what game it was?

I think it was the start of the 81/82 season, we lost 4-1 at Rotherham, does anyone know if my memory is correct?

• Like 1

I took it maybe twice and it was hilarious tbh. I think every Nodge fan should experience it at least once.

The “coach one, regulars only” is 100% true

The visit to the farm shop was truly an amazing experience 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The post about coach prices made me think about Club Canary/Cabbage.

I have a vague recollection of being on the first trip that the newly created travel club took.

Does anyone remember what game it was?

I think it was the start of the 81/82 season, we lost 4-1 at Rotherham, does anyone know if my memory is correct?

Rotherham was the first trip at the beginning of the 81/82 season, I think Greg Sheppard put us in front and pretty sure Ronnie Moore scored a couple for them.

Was working at BB Adams on Guildhall at the time.

• Thanks 1

I haven't got a club coach for years. I try to combine away trips with a holiday so it doesn't matter so much when the games bad!

Last one was white heart Lane. When we went out of our way to stop at the service for half an hour on what should've been a 2 hour trip I vowed never again. 

43 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I took it maybe twice and it was hilarious tbh. I think every Nodge fan should experience it at least once.

The “coach one, regulars only” is 100% true

The visit to the farm shop was truly an amazing experience 

I can count on one hand how many times I've used Club Cabbage (and no, it's not 6 times)....Me and a few chums of mine attempted to board 'Coach One' to go to a mid-week Millwall away game...We were pelted with half eaten sugar beets and they had catapults firing brussel sprouts as we attempted to board.... and the reglar bus one passengers all shoutin' out in unison "G'urn yer furriners gettorfa our buz....hits fer regglar loocal fan folk peeple!"....

A little exaggerated....but we certainly weren't welcome.... 

• Haha 4

I have used club cabbage twice over the years, was late getting to the Emirates and then the bus wouldn’t start for the return.

then again for the FA cup game at Spurs , broke down on way home had to stand down an embankment on motorway in rain waiting for a replacement

never again

1 hour ago, kdncfc said:

Rotherham was the first trip at the beginning of the 81/82 season, I think Greg Sheppard put us in front and pretty sure Ronnie Moore scored a couple for them.

Oooh - BB Adams on Guildhall, that set of a memory for me.  As a kid we used to get any amount of slightly weird crap there, but recall the ‘fish and chip’ biscuit/crisp things.

Used it for a trip to Coventry (we lost, think Mark Hateley scored) -Duncan was onboard that day extolling the virtues of Ross Jack there and back.

As soon as the driver started the engine at the ground to leave, it felt as if a couple of dozen Tupperware lunchboxes were all opened in unison.

Ditto Saunders from Fakenham for the 1985 League Cup final-still don't know, to this day, how I found the coach again after the match, they weren't messing about, full or not-loads of Norwich fans seemed to leave the stadium as soon as the final whistle went, never mind the presentation etc- a case of "...Oi need to be gettin' hum".

Yes, Rotherham was the first one. 

Club Canary was the idea of Geoffrey Watling who thought it would improve away performances and results. It didn't start well. 

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oooh - BB Adams on Guildhall, that set of a memory for me.  As a kid we used to get any amount of slightly weird crap there, but recall the ‘fish and chip’ biscuit/crisp things.

Well now we’re off on a tangent here goes…..

I remember BB Adams shop very well. Delving around on the internet it was one of several opened by ‘ Big Barry ‘ Adams who started off selling stuff on Britannia Pier in Gt Yarmouth in the 50’s. Sounds a real ‘ Del Boy ‘.

The shops were a sort of cross between Poundland, B & M and The Range. Most of the goods were pure tat but handy if you needed something like a single use set of screwdrivers our one of those c*ppy battery operated hand held fans for next to nothing. Nearly everything apart from food was made in Hong Kong. In those days before all the discount stores it had a huge turnover.

One time during the miners strike in the early 70’s when we had power blackouts the lights unexpectedly went out one afternoon and a load of stuff on the basement floor got nicked.

I think it was on the corner of Lower Goat Lane where Tesco is/was and when it closed down he opened a branch in one of those very old listed buildings in King St. Never looked right selling pile ‘em high sell ‘em cheap c*ap in one of the oldest buildings in the city.

Long gone now of course.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Well now we’re off on a tangent here goes…..

I remember BB Adams shop very well. Delving around on the internet it was one of several opened by ‘ Big Barry ‘ Adams who started off selling stuff on Britannia Pier in Gt Yarmouth in the 50’s. Sounds a real ‘ Del Boy ‘.

The shops were a sort of cross between Poundland, B & M and The Range. Most of the goods were pure tat but handy if you needed something like a single use set of screwdrivers our one of those c*ppy battery operated hand held fans for next to nothing. Nearly everything apart from food was made in Hong Kong. In those days before all the discount stores it had a huge turnover.

One time during the miners strike in the early 70’s when we had power blackouts the lights unexpectedly went out one afternoon and a load of stuff on the basement floor got nicked.

I think it was on the corner of Lower Goat Lane where Tesco is/was and when it closed down he opened a branch in one of those very old listed buildings in King St. Never looked right selling pile ‘em high sell ‘em cheap c*ap in one of the oldest buildings in the city.

Long gone now of course.

The shop the sold food was on the corner of Lower Goat Lane as you said but there was also another shop further down the hill that sold mainly Hi Fi equipment.

Rumour had it that Barry Adams started his career selling guns in South Africa but not sure whether there was any truth in it.

2 hours ago, city4eva said:

I have used club cabbage twice over the years, was late getting to the Emirates and then the bus wouldn’t start for the return.

then again for the FA cup game at Spurs , broke down on way home had to stand down an embankment on motorway in rain waiting for a replacement

never again

We were on the same bus for Spurs 😄

Went to that game (not on Club Cabbage), I remember their winger Tony Towner causing us a lot of problems.

On a separate note I have travelled with Club Cabbage three times, all three trips were "memorable" for their own reasons (Smiley Face)..............

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

28 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

The shop the sold food was on the corner of Lower Goat Lane as you said but there was also another shop further down the hill that sold mainly Hi Fi equipment.

Rumour had it that Barry Adams started his career selling guns in South Africa but not sure whether there was any truth in it.

The place to buy Amstrad Hi-Fi's and Stero's, look alikey Rubix Cubes etc. Always a place to go Xmas shopping when growning up as it was cheap and you got more.

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Mascot Coaches from Bell Avenue were the real deal :classic_ninja:

image.png.3a7bb500fce64c40c897b9a74cb61c44.png

These two were the real deal. Pat Howard and Lil Kemp.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Definitely Norwich fans looking at the badges. 

9 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

One of the first places we would head to if we ventured into "the City" on a Saturday.......

My mum had to time a visit to this shop tactically. Too early, and she would have her boys moaning about why was the shopping was taking so long, too late and we would mither her about when we were visiting BB Adams! Either way, she never got all her shopping done! 🙂 

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kdncfc said:

The times I pined over an Amstrad twin cassette deck tower hifi…..

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

First met Lil, her daughters and Pat on a Mascot coach from Bell Avenue. 

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

First met Lil, her daughters and Pat on a Mascot coach from Bell Avenue. 

Interesting story Nutty. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

My mum had to time a visit to this shop tactically. Too early, and she would have her boys moaning about why was the shopping was taking so long, too late and we would mither her about when we were visiting BB Adams! Either way, she never got all her shopping done! 🙂 

Is mither a Northern expression ? I've never heard it before.

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Is mither a Northern expression ? I've never heard it before.

Yorkshire for hassle, pester that sort of thing. Probably used in Last of the Summer Wine or Heartbeat 😉

19 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Yorkshire for hassle, pester that sort of thing. Probably used in Last of the Summer Wine or Heartbeat 😉

.....or a song title for a Salford band. Do yourself a big favour...don't press play!