Anyone at the game last night have any opinions on Jacobs performance, is he looking likeyfor that new contract or just not good enough?

Not at the match but I'm divided about him. Only 25 but has played just over 50 games in 3 and half seasons. Hope he comes good.

He played a good hour at CB after Batth went off injured.

Always handy to have a solid utility player. I'd be quite happy if we kept him.

• Like 5

I personally think if he can stay fit till the end of the season, I’d give him a contract! Very versatile player and been reasonably consistent for us. He’s not going to set the world alight but a good squad player!

He made a slowish start in midfield but we were struggling to get much going to be honest, not helped by Kenny constantly dropping back into the centre back position which meant we had very few options in the middle to pass out to. He needs to stop doing that if we are going to have him back in midfield.

Sorensen did well at CB and for me we could do worse than continue with him there until Hanley is back fit. 

No-brainer for me, namely keep if his injuries have eased. You can't build a team around him, but he's the kind of player who quietly fills gaps in a team with a reasonably functional structure. He struggled at centre-half at the back end of last season but we also had a major injury crisis and were lacking midfielders too, so the whole team was compromised.

• Like 1

Apparently he did quite well last night. However, he’s quite injury prone and will turn 26 in March so effectively he should be starting to approach the peak of his career. Due to his injury proneness and and the fact that he’s not such a great player yet, I would activate the extension on his current contract and see how he does next season before offering him a new one. I think he will be kept though, as his age isn’t an issue in the “lower age of our squad” matter, and he can also play other defensive positions. Probably on fairly low wages as well

Edited by HazzaJet

I always think Sorensen is quietly composed, competent and unflappable. Does his job often unseen and unremarked. Yes needs to put his injuries behind him and get a run of games to see him at his best. Certainly keep for all the other reasons alluded too above..

• Like 1

Didn't see the game last night but personally I think he's deeply overrated.

He was dreadful in central defence at the end of last season, doesn't do much when put in midfield and looks best as a utility left back.

I'd only keep him if his wages are very low.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Didn't see the game last night but personally I think he's deeply overrated.

He was dreadful in central defence at the end of last season, doesn't do much when put in midfield and looks best as a utility left back.

I'd only keep him if his wages are very low.

Yeah, would have to be really low wages. I get him being a half-useful bench option at this level because of his versatility but if he's only ever fit for half a season even that becomes a little pointless.

TBH as a squad we need to improve the overall quality and this can only really be done slowly. I wouldnt be adverse to him leaving and a number of other fringe players. A big summer of outgoings and incomings.

I think his injury record is the question mark no point being a utility player if are always injured. If the injury check out as per the medical team I would take up the extension. My reasoning being that he could save us some money.

It’s reasonable to say this season if fully fit Sorensen could have taken the minutes of Batth, Fisher, McCallum, Forshaw and Warner. Essentially 5 players in one given we’ll need to cut costs next season as well it seems a no brainer. Extend lungi and release Forshaw, Batth and one of the left backs.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, would have to be really low wages. I get him being a half-useful bench option at this level because of his versatility but if he's only ever fit for half a season even that becomes a little pointless.

I guess it does also depend on how we structure the squad.

Lets say for arguments sake Gibson, Batth, Dimi and Foreshaw all leave. Then keeping Sorenson maybe makes sense as he could be 4th/5th choice central defender, 2nd choice left back, 3rd choice right back and 2nd choice DM (providing we sign a DM).  

Just now, king canary said:

I guess it does also depend on how we structure the squad.

Lets say for arguments sake Gibson, Batth, Dimi and Foreshaw all leave. Then keeping Sorenson maybe makes sense as he could be 4th/5th choice central defender, 2nd choice left back, 3rd choice right back and 2nd choice DM (providing we sign a DM).  

Ha! Optimistic happy clapper

Might be worth keeping as a utility player if his wages are modest and he's happy with that arrangement, as we know he can cover several positions.

He's a bit frustrating as a player though as he always looks quite neat and tidy technically and calm under pressure, a bit like Sam Byram, can't quite put my finger on what it is that he's lacking but think he lacks a bit of passion and urgency. If he had more tenacity he'd probably be a decent DM and we've clearly got a vacancy for one of those.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Where did this idea that Lungi lacks tenacity come from?

To be fair there's a running joke amongst my friend group that he's so laid back, casual and lacking in tenacity that he must be smoking a joint or two before playing a match....

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair there's a running joke amongst my friend group that he's so laid back, casual and lacking in tenacity that he must be smoking a joint or two before playing a match....

Oh, Skipp and McLean said in a video for Dafabet that Lungi's very laid back (from 5:33 onwards on this), but the question here is when did "laid back" ever equal "lacking tenacity"?

Lungi looks like one of those classic quiet ones who stands his ground when he has to. Put it this way, O'Nien wasn't waiting for the receipt when he planted that peck on him.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

Seems to have a good attitude and is a good utility player... although I'd have him in instead of Kenny every day in midfield. Fitness is a big question mark though. Probably worth one more year with an option to see how it goes and whether another manager likes him.

• Confused 1

Looking back to the season where he filled on as left back for many weeks, he proved then what a good footballer he is, to the point where many of us didn't want him dropped when the actual left backs were fit. 

Unlucky with injuries  but given a run of games, could still prove to be a regular Ii the first team imo. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

Agree above, as left back under Farke he was great and as we're look more for that diagonal ball from deep he's a real master at it on his game.

But agree with what many others are saying, it does seem that 420 would be a better number to have on his shirt.

If he's going to remain as mr versatile i'd rather he not stayed here, but if he was going to nail down a position and fight for it i'd be up for him extending.

Edited by Google Bot

29 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Agree above, as left back under Farke he was great and as we're look more for that diagonal ball from deep he's a real master at it on his game.

But agree with what many others are saying, it does seem that 420 would be a better number to have on his shirt.

If he's going to remain as mr versatile i'd rather he not stayed here, but if he was going to nail down a position and fight for it i'd be up for him extending.

Well he started in what is largely considered to be his natural position last night and then moved to centre back after the Baath injury.

Not his fault he is moved all over, and was fortunate for us that he is versatile? 

I feel for him. He’s clearly a technically accomplished footballer - what was it our old chief scout said? that he was the most Daniel Farke footballer he’d ever seen - but he’s never had a run of games in his best position. If his return to fitness allows Sara to play a more advanced role, I’m all for keeping him. My hunch is that we haven’t seen the best of him yet. And he’s Danish too, probably the most likeable nation in the world. 

Looks poor in midfield for me and we need a dedicated improvement in the LB department as Sam M & Dimi are also pretty poor.

• Confused 1

We have an option to extend his contract to June 2005. I would think the likely thought is extend that and see where we both are next autumn. Maybe if Gino is not kept on he might be cover at LB as well as CB. The club will want to see him get a few matches before any decision is made. Much will depend n how well Warner and Tompkinson develop.

I agree, if we can get some comfort that his injury worries are behind him then he seems sensible to renew a contract. He’s a good age, could be coming into his prime and is a nice footballler. We will have to have a full of players so a utility one could be a god send 

Just don't play him left back vs ismael sarr 😂 had him for dinner.