cambridgeshire canary

Now Brentford are sniffing after Rowe

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

We could always pay him what he'd get elsewhere.

Radical?

I very much doubt his dissatisfaction is entirely down to wages. The trajectory and morale of the club must play a huge part too. Players are not just mercenaries - well, most of them are not.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

His three year contract covered 1 year of Prem football and 2 years of parachute payments, guarenteed at the point of him being made permanent, we also had parachute payments when he was on loan. Those parachute payments end this season, we're entering a new reality. One where our contract offers are more likely to be £8k than £40k.

2024/25 will be the first season we've got no Prem TV money or parachute payments since 2018-19.

And then things came up Trumps for a time...

Mind you, 3 points off the playoffs is no time to write off this season.

1 minute ago, Sufyellow said:

Exactly,  people commenting on ex players , yes we have always sold , but not after 6 months.  Anyone coming through the academy into the first team can surely give us 2 seasons, or as a football club there's no point to it. 

To be fair Rowe did figure in our Premier League season but then lost virtually all of last season due to injury so the 6 months thing may be a bit of a stretch, but your point is valid as this is still his 1st breakthrough season.

From that point of view Jonny might not be worth as much as we think and from his and the club's position it might well be worth him extending his career with us. He has huge potential but he's not there yet imo. It would feel a bit of an unnecessary sale and move for both club and player, but that's football and I guess FFP might tone down the opportunities for big moves in the future so he might choose to grab the first one that comes along. Who knows what might happen.

51 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The fact a highly regarded 20 year only has 18 months left on his contract is pretty scandalous. By all accounts he’s been seen as one of the biggest future potential players internally for a while.

Sargent and Idah are both under long contracts, how did he not get pinned down last summer?

This is a highly valid point. How and why did Idah get a 5 year contract, when other younger players like Rowe, who have pretty much achieved more in half a season than Idah has in 4 seasons, not been tied to a longer contract?

21 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

This is a highly valid point. How and why did Idah get a 5 year contract, when other younger players like Rowe, who have pretty much achieved more in half a season than Idah has in 4 seasons, not been tied to a longer contract?

We have an extra year, before this season he had achieved nothing.  

22 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Because since Rowe started achieving stuff in this half season and has rejected contract offers during this time.

25 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

He had a really bad long term injury in 2022-23 season didn't he? Perhaps his salary expectations were high and we were concerned about whether he'd be the same player after injury. That said, Dean Smith said that Adam Idah was a "joint compromised athlete" didn't he.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Why ? This is his first season,  if we are going to sell now , then as fans the academy is pointless. You are a fan just like me , are you now excepting we sell our youngsters after giving us 6 months ? . He's contracted for basically two and a half more years, so we give him a new contract and tell him we will look at offers after next season.  

“Give him a new contract”? How do you think these things work?

TBF, you’re not the only one who thinks the club messed up by not somehow forcing him to sign a new contract, but in the real world if he (or his agent) sees his career/bank balance benefitting from being elsewhere, there’s no way he would agree to do so.

We could hang on for another year once we get to the end of the season, but we hung on with Cantwell and that ended up with him leaving for nothing.

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

That would be maintaining our current wage bill though.

We lose parachute payments, we've got to drastically cut it.

More like lose Gibson and his £40k a week and set aside £15k a week of that with £25k a week going towards the big black hole I'm afraid.

yes some will have to be lost due to income ,

but it annoys me we lose a outstanding player yet pay players that rarely play and if they do hardly perform on good wages 

Take Baath / Forshaw / Gibson / Argos /PP  replace with younger up and coming players on less wages give Rowe a big pay rise ,

will not happen we will keep it as it is 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Take Baath / Forshaw / Gibson / Argos /PP  replace with younger up and coming players on less wages give Rowe a big pay rise 

will not happen we will keep it as it is 

I should imagine that Baath, Forshaw, Gibson and Placheta will all be released when their contracts expire in the summer.

Onel won't though as he has another year.

The problem is that Placheta's replacement is probably going to be Tony Springett, that's what young and cheap means. At least at centre back there is hope that Tomkinson or Warner will be good enough to succeed Baath.

39 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“Give him a new contract”? How do you think these things work?

TBF, you’re not the only one who thinks the club messed up by not somehow forcing him to sign a new contract, but in the real world if he (or his agent) sees his career/bank balance benefitting from being elsewhere, there’s no way he would agree to do so.

We could hang on for another year once we get to the end of the season, but we hung on with Cantwell and that ended up with him leaving for nothing.

If he stayed next season we still then have a extra year option.  We can obviously trigger that on the contract he is on. We can offer him a wage increase now and tell him end of next season we will review it , or sell. I understand not standing in players ways for their future,  but we are a football club not just a football production line.

I can’t quite understand those who still say he’s only got 18 months left, as it’s that + a year option, so 30 months. Presumably when he signed it was considered a decent long term deal.  The most annoying aspect is that we didn’t get anything out of him last season due to the injuries - I said all along that I felt Smith was set to use him a lot.

The problem of football is that more than at any time ever, even ‘smaller’ PL teams can pay far, far more than us.  The figures are almost disgusting when you consider what nurses etc earn, but it is what it is and at the age of 20–21 you’re not going to turn it down.

I can’t see Rowe leaving now, but unless something strange happens it seems likely he’ll be gone in the summer.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

We have an extra year, before this season he had achieved nothing.  

Neither had/has Gibbs and we tied him down for 5 years last summer. 

42 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Neither had/has Gibbs and we tied him down for 5 years last summer. 

We still have two and a half years on Rowe, so we should keep him the rest of this season and next season then sell if he doesn't want to be here.

Rowe has a difficult decision to make and I don't envy him. If he steps up too early, he could end up warming the bench somewhere and not really realising his potential. He's been great for us this season, but there's a world of difference between looking a bit too good for the Championship and being good enough for the PL. Also, there are aspects to his game which definitely need improving and it may be easier for him to work on those here with us rather than in the cauldron of the top flight.

On the other hand, if he stays and gets a career-threatening injury he's turned down the chance to never have any financial worries in his life. And, to be honest, he may be looking at the way NCFC has declined over the past few seasons and wonder if our club is progressive enough to help him with his long-term development.

He strikes me as the confident type who will believe in himself and feel sure that he won't end up warming the bench, so I imagine he will be gone in the summer.

I know many people won't agree with me, but if finances mean that we have to sell either him or Sara, I would prefer to sell Rowe.

This isn't any reflection on their comparative ability, but on the position they play. I just think we couldn't build a team around Rowe whereas we could, with a good head coach, build one around Sara.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monty13 said:

The fact a highly regarded 20 year only has 18 months left on his contract is pretty scandalous. By all accounts he’s been seen as one of the biggest future potential players internally for a while.

Sargent and Idah are both under long contracts, how did he not get pinned down last summer?

Was he so highly rated though? I don’t think anyone expected this year to be a breakout season for him. From what I’d seen of him, I certainly didn’t. Factor in his long term injury, and the chance of reoccurrence, giving Rowe a 5 yr deal before a ball was kicked this season, would’ve looked like madness and been heavily criticised.

The club have tried to react, but he’s rejected two contracts. It’s how it goes sometimes. Now the only job is to maximise the price.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

24 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Was he so highly rated though? I don’t think anyone expected this year to be a breakout season for him. From what I’d seen of him, I certainly didn’t. Factor in his long term injury, and the chance of reoccurrence, giving Rowe a 5 yr deal before a ball was kicked this season, would’ve looked like madness and been heavily criticised.

The club have tried to react, but he’s rejected two contracts. It’s how it goes sometimes. Now the only job is to maximise the price.

He has 2.5 years left , they have said they will have contract talks end of season. I am not sure where the , turned down 2 contracts comes from. So why have we got to just get the best price? 

26 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

He has 2.5 years left , they have said they will have contract talks end of season. I am not sure where the , turned down 2 contracts comes from. So why have we got to just get the best price? 

Reported by pink un journos 

10 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

We don't know if an offer has been made. I'd be astonished if it hasn't. In all likelihood his agent has told him to say no. 

The difference in the wages we can offer compared to most Premier League clubs is huge and for Rowe it would be a life changing amount of money.  His agent knows we will have no choice but to sell in the summer and is simply doing what he's paid for. 

The only thing we could do is offer him £90k a week to play in the Championship. We haven't got the money to do that. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I know many people won't agree with me, but if finances mean that we have to sell either him or Sara, I would prefer to sell Rowe.

This isn't any reflection on their comparative ability, but on the position they play. I just think we couldn't build a team around Rowe whereas we could, with a good head coach, build one around Sara.

We should be building a team around Sara now with Rowe in it. Wagner doesn't seem to be developing anyone or anything, but that's another issue, although could be on Rowe's mind.

I'm not sure Rowe holds all the aces just yet. I'm yet to see evidence from the club he has rejected contract offers otherthan rumours from Pinkun journos. We're halfway through this window, no offers from other clubs either. 

By the summer he'll still be young, completed just 1 full season, standout although also  inconsistent performer in a mid-table Championship club. I'd expect offers around £15m.

Also add into the equation the wages we're paying out on Duffy, Barnes, Batth and Forshaw and you have a couple of Jonny Rowe's in that lot. NCFC really needs to start getting it's act together with some joined up thinking.

I think realistically he will be gone in the summer and hopefully we can negotiate some potential players coming our way in exchange plus £. Tottenham would have probably some players we might as useful as first team additions.

Edited by jaberry2

17 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

I Thought around 30 million for Rowe

Just think of all the crap we could buy for £30m

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Just think of all the crap we could buy for £30m

We have to make the Rowe and Sara money count this time !! 

No more wasting on Tzolis and Rashica's of this world !!!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We should be building a team around Sara now with Rowe in it. Wagner doesn't seem to be developing anyone or anything, but that's another issue, although could be on Rowe's mind.

I'm not sure Rowe holds all the aces just yet. I'm yet to see evidence from the club he has rejected contract offers otherthan rumours from Pinkun journos. We're halfway through this window, no offers from other clubs either. 

By the summer he'll still be young, completed just 1 full season, standout although also  inconsistent performer in a mid-table Championship club. I'd expect offers around £15m.

Also add into the equation the wages we're paying out on Duffy, Barnes, Batth and Forshaw and you have a couple of Jonny Rowe's in that lot. NCFC really needs to start getting it's act together with some joined up thinking.

i think he has rejected a couple of offers if not the club would be mad not to have extended his contract ,

we have to remember this is his contract he had before he started performing well ,

so i would guess he was a under 23 player not 1st team regular when signed maybe 7 /10 k  a week at the moment ??

Cantwell was on around that with heavy 1st bonuses at one point at his time here before signing a better deal ,

So imagine if someone is waving 40k /50 k/ 60k a week at you and 1 million plus signing on fee  ,

the club said they will leave talks to summer i think it is more likely agent saying wait till summer see what comes in ,

i imagine knapper and the club would be mad not to sign him up for another 5 years today if they could ,

If I was in the City camp I would be having a quiet word with Jonny and saying, this is your break out season, you’ve done amazing, here’s a new contract, give us and you a little bit longer here. I know he could jump now and and his agent will be seeing £ signs, but I would use Omo as an example of what could happen, grass isn’t always greener. If it’s just about money we have no chance, but if I was Jonny I would rather be playing than warming a bench or worse not making match day squads. Only definite is if he keeps performing we will sell him as that’s our model, I hope just not yet. That goal v Hull, genius.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

His three year contract covered 1 year of Prem football and 2 years of parachute payments, guarenteed at the point of him being made permanent, we also had parachute payments when he was on loan. Those parachute payments end this season, we're entering a new reality. One where our contract offers are more likely to be £8k than £40k.

2024/25 will be the first season we've got no Prem TV money or parachute payments since 2018-19.

All this is true.

But when I said we thought we could afford to pay him £40K a week, the assumption by the club must have been: "because he is the final piece of the jigsaw puzzle" - i.e. that we didn't need to worry about any other position. But that proved to be a fallacy and by the next window we were hamstrung. I think a couple of potential acquisitions didn't happen for the want of a couple of million pounds. We needed just a bit more to get only one of those over the line, but there was no cash free because it was all going to Gibson. In retrospect it makes his contract more absurd by the day.

4 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

If I was in the City camp I would be having a quiet word with Jonny and saying, this is your break out season, you’ve done amazing, here’s a new contract, give us and you a little bit longer here. I know he could jump now and and his agent will be seeing £ signs, but I would use Omo as an example of what could happen, grass isn’t always greener. If it’s just about money we have no chance, but if I was Jonny I would rather be playing than warming a bench or worse not making match day squads. Only definite is if he keeps performing we will sell him as that’s our model, I hope just not yet. That goal v Hull, genius.

i think we could do that but Manager is important 

i think if Knapper had his mate from Arsenal or some young up and coming Manager in already they could say J Rowe we will build round us etc here is a good contract ,

But with Wagner i doubt it will happen 

22 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

You sell your best youngster after 6 months of his first season and you think the futures bright! Please explain how? 

I would think it’s fairly obvious - it’s an advertisement to potentially signing other up and coming talent that Norwich is a springboard for their careers, we also reap the benefits of a youth pipeline to first team. The whole point of the academy is to create players capable of playing first team football. 

• Like 1