Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

We have been sanctioned by the FA

"The club has therefore been warned as to its future conduct, issued with a fine of £10,000 and is required to implement an action plan, which will remain in force until the end of the 2024/25 season and be monitored by The FA."

I can see how at seated venues the club could actually police such matters, but at lower league grounds this would be very difficult unless they have some kind of "active stewarding" accompanying away fans. And why is the action plan only in force until the end of 2024/25? That's a bit of a cop out on the part of the FA.

Edited by shefcanary

14 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

"The club has therefore been warned as to its future conduct, issued with a fine of £10,000 and is required to implement an action plan, which will remain in force until the end of the 2024/25 season and be monitored by The FA."

I can see how at seated venues the club could actually police such matters, but at lower league grounds this would be very difficult unless they have some kind of "active stewarding" accompanying away fans. And why is the action plan only in force until the end of 2024/25? That's a bit of a cop out on the part of the FA.

Absolutely bizarre. I'm still not sure exactly what happened but I suspect if happens to some extent at most games. 

Who made the complaint? I doubt we'll play there again and that is going to cost King's Lynn a lot of money. 

Apparently there were some unsavoury and unacceptable disability chants.

It’s definitely wrong of the people to be chanting what they were, but isn’t that down to them rather than the club?    I guess it is what it is and a club is responsible for its fans, bit it seems to suggest that they are/were party to it, which feels a bit odd.

LOL

Interesting to hear what the sanctions are, or is the £10k fine it?

We need to be very careful where we play pre season friendlies going forward as it only needs a few Binner fans turning up pretending to be City fans, hurling abuse and we face further sanctions, which presumably might include being forced to play 'behind closed doors'.

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good grief. As someone else said on another thread recently "most football fans are bell ends" 

That's an exaggeration but even in the River End I hear stuff that beggars belief. I took a young Liverpudlian lady to the Soton game. She's lovely, honestly. Afterwards she freely admitted that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but...... 

14 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s definitely wrong of the people to be chanting what they were, but isn’t that down to them rather than the club?

Definitely should be, it's not that uncommon to see sub-sets of fans at pre-season friendlies who get rowdy either.

I guess with this charge, is it possible the club have turned round and said they have no way of identifying the supporters perhaps? 

It's a lot easier to do it at a ground which is equipped with Seat ID's and plenty of CCTV.  But that then means that the club can't pass this down the line so take the brunt of it.

Edited by Google Bot

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yep. You can actually download the PDF of the case against the club through the article on the FA's website. I won't repeat them here, but the chants are pretty lowbrow and knuckle-dragging.

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I won't repeat them here, but the chants are pretty lowbrow and knuckle-dragging.

Maybe i've misread the doc, but it seems we are singing it about ourselves, not to Lynn supporters?  

Edit: I get it now, it could be that Lynn called us the 'S' word, so we responded with 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc. to us being the 'S' word after each goal.

God that really is being over-sensitive for us to pick the sanction up, isn't it?  As I see we were throwing back a derogatory chant back into Lynn faces as a positive and someone's got grumpy about it.

i.e. 

1. NCFC therefore contends that either:

1. Supporters of King’s Lynn were responsible the initial chant and that supporters of NCFC were responsible for the subsequent goal chants, which were sung ironically in response to the initial chant (which NCFC acknowledged did not justify the language used); or

2. Supporters of King’s Lynn were responsible for both the initial chant (“You’re just a town full of s*******s...” about NCFC) and the goal chants (for example “One nil to the s***** boys...”) after NCFC scored each goal.

2. In the circumstances, therefore, NCFC considers that it is not possible to conclusively identify which team’s supporters were responsible for the discriminatory chanting;

3. However, given that it is possible that one or more of the chants may have been sung by NCFC supporters, NCFC admits the charge;

Edited by Google Bot

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep. You can actually download the PDF of the case against the club through the article on the FA's website. I won't repeat them here, but the chants are pretty lowbrow and knuckle-dragging.

Thanks for sharing the link. All very bizarre. The FA cannot say if the person making the complaint was at the game or heard the chanting via a video of the match. No complaints were made on the day to stewards or other officials. It cannot be determined which teams fans were chanting. The initial chant was aimed at KL, subsequent chants appear to either be aimed at NCFC or made by NCFC fans about themselves. Not condoning the chants in any way...............

17 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Maybe i've misread the doc, but it seems we are singing it about ourselves, not to Lynn supporters?  

Edit: I get it now, it could be that Lynn called us the 'S' word, so we responded with 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc. to us being the 'S' word after each goal.

God that really is being over-sensitive for us to pick the sanction up, isn't it?  As I see we were throwing back a derogatory chant back into Lynn faces as a positive and someone's got grumpy about it.

i.e. 

1. Supporters of King’s Lynn were responsible the initial chant and that supporters of NCFC were responsible for the subsequent goal chants, which were sung ironically in response to the initial chant (which NCFC acknowledged did not justify the language used); or

2. Supporters of King’s Lynn were responsible for both the initial chant (“You’re just a town full of s*******s...” about NCFC) and the goal chants (for example “One nil to the s***** boys...”) after NCFC scored each goal.

2. In the circumstances, therefore, NCFC considers that it is not possible to conclusively identify which team’s supporters were responsible for the discriminatory chanting;

3. However, given that it is possible that one or more of the chants may have been sung by NCFC supporters, NCFC admits the charge;

It does seem that way. But I guess if it's clear that a significant number of people were chanting a discriminatory term, it makes sense not to contest it.

Facts ( or the FA's perception of them) are maybe different, but it comes to something when we are issued with a £10,000 fine and MILLWALL (of all teams) do not get a financial penalty at all!

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

It does seem that way. But I guess if it's clear that a significant number of people were chanting a discriminatory term, it makes sense not to contest it.

What with the cost of legal advice, representation etc it would probaly cost more than the fine on appeal. But as you say if there was any suggestion of being at fault - settle up and move on

In the end, someone took offence and the FA took the complaint seriously. I doubt the fine covered the FA's costs.

It is a bit Spursy though - i.e. where Spurs supporters chant the words "yid army" to self-deprecatingly describe themselves, but if any other club chanted "yids" at them they would rightly be criticised. 

As others have stated, it reduces the chances of Norwich visiting non-league games even for warm ups in future outside of a 15 mile radius of Norwich itself, which is detrimental. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

In the end, someone took offence and the FA took the complaint seriously. I doubt the fine covered the FA's costs.

It is a bit Spursy though - i.e. where Spurs supporters chant the words "yid army" to self-deprecatingly describe themselves, but if any other club chanted "yids" at them they would rightly be criticised. 

As others have stated, it reduces the chances of Norwich visiting non-league games even for warm ups in future outside of a 15 mile radius of Norwich itself, which is detrimental. 

Looks like It will be a trip to Lowestoft Town our next pre season instead..

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That would be good. There's a great pub round the corner!

I saw Gary holt play for them once!

Given what happened at Coventry, the Action Plan is what is required. The Club should have done it by now.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

i.e. 

As the initial chant came from Lynn fans, did they get done too? 

31 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

As the initial chant came from Lynn fans, did they get done too? 

That's what confuses me so much, too.  It's at their ground, their supporters had equal involvement otherwise the chants don't make sense, and they also have previous with abuse being hurled at female officials only months before.... Yet we get the fine?

But more important from a moral perspective it's our fans that the headline is aiming towards.  I get people saying that it makes sense for the club to not contest this, but that's purely from a legal/financial perspective, of course.

When I read these stories I presumed some of our fans had been abusive towards Lynn disabled supporters, but that's simply not the case at all.

we have essentially been fined £10k for calling ourselves sp……..

As others have commented it is staggering that we alone get done when any idiot could tell that the initial chant will have come from KL fans.

Clearly those on the panel have zero understanding of how football fans are nor it appears if the significant cross over between the supports of Norwich and KL given their comments about segregation.

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

we have essentially been fined £10k for calling ourselves sp……..

As others have commented it is staggering that we alone get done when any idiot could tell that the initial chant will have come from KL fans.

Clearly those on the panel have zero understanding of how football fans are nor it appears if the significant cross over between the supports of Norwich and KL given their comments about segregation.

Yes Jim seems a bit bonkers.

We wait for them to feel Spurs collar over their Y*d Army renditions.

It may be some time.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

How can we ever hope for sense from the FA if this takes a 28 page document.  A smack on the wrist, a fine, and a 2 pager should suffice, not 28!

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yep. A few Binners will probably turn up as well.

Bloody hell, total morons sanctioning total morons who were responding to total morons.

Football needs some smart people. Or just one smart person. It would be an improvement.

All I read into this is that the FA Christmas Party coffers must be quite low so this is how they remedy it.

• Like 1