19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yep, just to be clear, it was a joke.

I did go and reacquaint myself with Schumacher's incident and it was literally GBH.

EDIT: That said, I remember trying to recreate Schumacher's foul when we played our reserve side in a league as to say I didn't get on with the reserve team striker was a serious understatement.

The only thing I regret was that the attempted forearm smash didn't quite hit where I wanted, namely right in the gob. And whilst I did sorta hit the ball when flying out for the challenge, I didn't slam my feet into his knees either - they ended up in the thighs.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I quite liked the way we played away at Hull last night, its how not particularly consistent teams grind out results. Not pretty, but effective, and when we broke, we looked half decent, which in my eyes is an improvement on dire.

Gunny wasnt at fault, Connolly was, as said by others, once he's out of the penalty area, Gunnys just another player, good clearing header in centre half position.

Dimi...lucky no VAR.

Connolly should have been booked .....but the injury prob saved him, if hed gone under Gunny it could have been a very nasty landing for our keeper.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is my favourite post of the year so far.😍

Thank you Purple

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The neutral Sky pundits in the studio both thought Giannoulis should've been sent off.

They were right. That was a red card all day (or night even) long! VAR would 100% have said that was a sending off. 

comentators said the Hull player should have been looking a perfectly fair challenge both players went for

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Some people seem to want a different decision because the challenge was from a goalkeeper, if a centre half did it there wouldn't have been any complaints for winning a header

Quite right. When I saw it first time I was convinced it would be a red card as it seemed AG 'cleaned out' Connolly good and proper and almost any challenge like that from a keeper (particularly outside the box is instant dismissal). However, when you watch the replay from the camera the other end it's clear AG never once looks at Connolly but is 100% focused on the ball. He wins the ball as well so no way was / should it have been a sending off.

Coming together. Nothing more. 

Whatever happened to keepers taking everyone else out to get to the ball anyway? That's what I was told playing as a youngster and took that all the way through when I played in between in the sticks for sprowston. If I knew I could get that ball anyone in my way was flattened. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd say they're either thick as pig-**** or have an agenda.

Or just don’t understand football!

Not a red for me. 

his eyes are firmly on the ball. He’s probably aware enough to know Connolly will clatter into him and bravely goes for it, whilst protecting himself. 

plus given the type of character he is, there is no way he sets out to hurt him deliberately. 

13 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Coming together. Nothing more. 

Whatever happened to keepers taking everyone else out to get to the ball anyway? That's what I was told playing as a youngster and took that all the way through when I played in between in the sticks for sprowston. If I knew I could get that ball anyone in my way was flattened. 

Indeed, if you called for the ball you had to get it. My experience  was that when you hesitated it was you who got hurt.

• Like 1

Kevin Keelan was the master of taking out players. Knee in the crown jewels, forearm smash across the face or fist in the eye - and mostly he got away with it.

Yes, Godly, I came across a few keepers like you in my time. After a while you learn to give yourself a bit of protection by leaving an arm and a leg out to lessen the impact.

1 hour ago, Barry Brockes said:

Kevin Keelan was the master of taking out players. Knee in the crown jewels, forearm smash across the face or fist in the eye - and mostly he got away with it.

And he did that to the opposition as well...🤩

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Addick/Canary said:

Yes, Godly, I came across a few keepers like you in my time. After a while you learn to give yourself a bit of protection by leaving an arm and a leg out to lessen the impact.

And I came across a few like you, that's when the fun begins at corners, a nice little stamp on the toes, studs down the back of the calf, elbow/knee in the back etc. 

😉 all fun and games in Sunday league 🤣 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aggy said:

If your elbow happens to be pointed at the exact angle that it whacks an opponent smack in the face, quite a distance away from your body, and that’s slowed down on VAR for instance, then you’re very lucky to still be on the pitch.

Doesn’t look like it in that video to me.

It was a great header by Gunn. I was also pleased to see the boys getting stuck in and leaving a few marks on the opposition, it’s been far too long since we’ve been able to dish out some of the rough stuff 

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

And I came across a few like you, that's when the fun begins at corners, a nice little stamp on the toes, studs down the back of the calf, elbow/knee in the back etc. 

😉 all fun and games in Sunday league 🤣 

Keepers always jumped with their knee out in Sunday league. If you get caught in the face with it on their way through that’s your own fault.

I remember getting a boot to the head from my own keeper when I was in his way as a young lad, was nearly knocked out and got a massive b0ll0cking off the old b@st@rd for my troubles 

• Haha 1

I suppose, given the thuggish tendencies you alluded to earlier in your Sunday morning games you were known by the sobriquet 'UN-Godly' in those days? (Wink emoji)

• Haha 1

I don’t think it was a foul to either side. 

But.. it’s quite a unique situation for a keeper and striker to be sprinting flat out at each other like that.. especially that far up the pitch. There is an argument to suggest it was a dangerous situation created by Gunn. But as another poster said, sensible thing would have been drop ball or something. 

5 hours ago, Addick/Canary said:

I suppose, given the thuggish tendencies you alluded to earlier in your Sunday morning games you were known by the sobriquet 'UN-Godly' in those days? (Wink emoji)

My defence just knew to get out the way if I shouted keeps 🤣 

One lad who i was at school with had his collar bone broken when he played against us for catton though because he thought he'd be clever and went I came out and dived at his feet ( and got the ball I might add ) he tried sticking the boot in, I however threw my shoulder into his leg and he went flying, landed awkwardly and popped his collar bone..... Played them the next season and he jumped over me when I came diving at his feet again 🤣🤣🤣 I didn't care if I got kicked (2 broken noses, studs across my cheek bone etc ) as long as I got something in the way to keep that ball out of my net! 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Lots of comments on this thread are very weird to me.

if two players are racing to get to a ball on the ground, one gets there first and clears it and then the other collides with him, it’s a clear foul by the player who’s late (even if he comes off worse). I don’t understand why it’s any different because the ball was in the air?

This is why I think the ref’s reaction of giving a free kick for us was corrrect.

if there is a difference so that jumping for the ball is not a foul, that would be equally true for them both - the only difference was that Connolly was late and didn’t get the ball, they were both going for the ball.  So I can see it being ruled as no foul by either player, which some refs would have given I think.

But to say it’s a foul committed by Gunn because he’s much bigger than the Hull player is just bonkers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

My defence just knew to get out the way if I shouted keeps 🤣 

One lad who i was at school with had his collar bone broken when he played against us for catton though because he thought he'd be clever and went I came out and dived at his feet ( and got the ball I might add ) he tried sticking the boot in, I however threw my shoulder into his leg and he went flying, landed awkwardly and popped his collar bone..... Played them the next season and he jumped over me when I came diving at his feet again 🤣🤣🤣 I didn't care if I got kicked (2 broken noses, studs across my cheek bone etc ) as long as I got something in the way to keep that ball out of my net! 

Reminds me of a game of fives which nearly turned into a race riot against a terrible set of whingers. The unusual rule here was that everyone was allowed inside the penalty area, you just weren't allowed to score from inside it so one-on-ones were more like in elevens.

This b-u-t-t-m-u-n-c-h decided he'd try to stamp on me in a fraught second half, but I saw him coming and raised my leg, "studs" up. He brought his leg down, missed me - and I hit him right in the slats. Only thing I regret was that I wore astro trainers and not blades.

Either way, we won 15-4 after being 4-3 down at half-time. I don't think I ever had such an effective half-time team talk, even if it would probably have got me a fatwa outside the UK!

Edited by TheGunnShow
Looks like Fraser the Eraser is VERY enthusiastic.
  • Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 11:50, Thirsty Lizard said:

I know you're joking, but just so nobody gets the wrong idea. Gunn clearly won the ball and headed it. Schumacher was at no time anywhere near the ball and just smashed the player. 

For which he should have gone to prison for assault. The incident had nothing whatsoever to do with football.

On 13/01/2024 at 10:35, cornish sam said:

They seem to have done everything they can to crop the ball out of it and remove any context... It's almost like whoever edited it had an agenda....

Yep looking from behind the goal it didn't look that bad at all.