Was it because someone broke the internet because they created too many threads on a message board?

• Haha 2

If I remember correctly, wasn't it just prior to the club putting up netting in front of the old Barclay Stand after some fans started throwing coins & other objects onto the pitch & at the oppositions fans?

Just now, Top corner said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't it just prior to the club putting up netting in front of the old Barclay Stand after some fans started throwing coins & other objects onto the pitch & at the oppositions fans?

The archives has this comment to this match: "The match was delayed 2 minutes from the end when coins were thrown from the Barclay Stand at the Notts County goalkeeper." 

I'd just started Uni, so was unable to get back for this, so otherwise cannot comment on how bad the incident was.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

John Chiedozie was a tricky little winger for them back then. I went to the returning  match at Meadow Lane (2.2 draw) Had no idea we’d equalised in injury time until I got back to Leicester and bought a Sports Pink. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Here’s the match. 

Quality defending.

The good old days! Cash turnstiles, straight to the under 14s queue for my discount. I’d just started pubbing that year and had a first drink at the Bell. 

Who’d have guessed we’d win a Cup Final less than 3 years later. 

53 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Here’s the match. 

"That should never been allowed by the Norwich back 4".......tale as old as time 🤣

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I don't recall the coin throwing at this game. However, it was not uncommon at the time, sadly 

Jimmy Rimmer collected a fortune at one match 😧

From memory that stemmed from an incident involving Justin Fashanu who was sent off. Or have I got that wrong?

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

From memory that stemmed from an incident involving Justin Fashanu who was sent off. Or have I got that wrong?

Just checked, Justin was not playing but Notts County had some bloke called Nigel Worthington playing for them.......

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Anyone know what this was about? Saw a few people debating different things online

GDUAgoVXQAAJMip?format=jpg&name=medium

Here's the clip. 4 minutes in, coins being thrown. 

• Thanks 1

Was a regular standing in the Barclay as a teenager back then. 12,500 in for this game which was slightly below the normal, 16k was a decent crowd with the norm around 14k. The crowd were certainly more vocal back then and there where some pretty original chants, however forgetting the nostalgia, coin throwing and worse was rife as was racist chanting, dark days, would be nice to have an in between atmosphere. I guess we did for a while under Farke.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Was a regular standing in the Barclay as a teenager back then. 12,500 in for this game which was slightly below the normal, 16k was a decent crowd with the norm around 14k. The crowd were certainly more vocal back then and there where some pretty original chants, however forgetting the nostalgia, coin throwing and worse was rife as was racist chanting, dark days, would be nice to have an in between atmosphere. I guess we did for a while under Farke.

And under Lambert before him

Edited by GenerationA47

1 hour ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

I too remember that time well. Wasn't at that particular game but clearly remember the coin throwing, and other matters at many games. Also remember well the netting set up to stop it. 

City fans were certainly no saints back then but they definitely had an edge and would generally make their feelings well known if they were not happy. 

The season we went up under Worthy and the next season in the PL were probably the best 'season long' atmospheres at CR and it was all seating. So what do I know

3 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I don't recall the coin throwing at this game. However, it was not uncommon at the time, sadly 

Jimmy Rimmer collected a fortune at one match 😧

…. “You’re going to get what Jimmy Rimmer got”, was quite a popular chant in the Barclay in subsequent matches I seem to recall. I don’t recall what the ‘threat to our very existence’ was all about. Were we that much on the brink financially back then that a hefty fine would have bankrupted us? 

38 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

…. “You’re going to get what Jimmy Rimmer got”, was quite a popular chant in the Barclay in subsequent matches I seem to recall. I don’t recall what the ‘threat to our very existence’ was all about. Were we that much on the brink financially back then that a hefty fine would have bankrupted us? 

Probably yes. I suspect the general low level of home support did not fulfil the financial requirement to run the club. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Just checked, Justin was not playing but Notts County had some bloke called Nigel Worthington playing for them.......

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Jimmy Rimmer was the Villa goalkeeper and that was the game in which Justin got sent off (I think). 

Around £50 in coins was collected from the pitch afterwards and netting was put up to stop it. 

I was at the Notts County match but I don't remember what happened I'm afraid. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Jimmy Rimmer was the Villa goalkeeper and that was the game in which Justin got sent off (I think). 

Around £50 in coins was collected from the pitch afterwards and netting was put up to stop it. 

I was at the Notts County match but I don't remember what happened I'm afraid. 

No worries. I was at both games, I remember Jimmy Rimmer getting pelted but the Notts County thing must have just passed me by. 

Not condoning the behaviour but back then things like throwing coins was "normal". Some fans threw darts, sharpened coins and crisp packets full of urine (**** is in the Oxford English Dictionary!!) at the opposition fans. I used to stand in the Barclay in those days and the constant clang of objects hitting the fence dividing fans was par for the course.

I learnt the hard way to stand out of range of the crisp packets but within the trajectory of the coins........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

Posted (edited)

I think they first put a barrier up after QPR the previous season when the ref got hit with a lighter.

I was only a kid in 82/3 but I remember trouble at a few games early that season. It included one game when away support got into the river end and kicked off.

I wasn't at the Stoke game but I do remember Norwich getting a mention on the World of Sport because of crowd trouble despite the warnings. Think we won despite going 1 down.

Edited by DanTheMan
correction

I was probably at that game and so correspondingly would have the programme for it.
As I was about 10, I doubt I started any trouble, although I may have blown a raspberry at someone and it all kicked off from there.

Posted (edited)

It was definitely coin throwing.

However I have no idea why that would put the club at risk, perhaps we were having financial issues and feared a hefty fine?

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

16 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The netting paid for itself then.  Was that the first iteration of the City Bond scheme ?

• Haha 1

Man City relegated that season. Watford finished 2nd !

22 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Interesting that people could afford to literally throw money away back then. Wouldn't happen in todays cost of living crisis.