Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Well Said Bridget.

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You mention ' positive PR from the club ' wolfie but i am struggling to think who would mastermind that and please don't suggest the media office.

Well, quite. Maybe something nice and fluffy from North Korea's Alice Piper? 😉

45 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Pretty much anyone senior with any backbone has left the club under the Webber regime, all to be replaced by millennial-aged Head ofs. This was no coincidence, Webber deliberately engineered a situation where he was completely and utterly unaccountable and surrounded by sycophantic yes-men. And his wife.

I'm a millennial myself, but the structure needed a few older, experienced heads. Without it, well, just look at our decline. I think the only old guy in a position of any influence is Neil Adams. I like the bloke, but he's absolutely in the NCFC friendzone and not the sort of guy who is going to say, "Hang on a minute Stu, is that right?". The trouble is, in NCFC parlance, "Hang on a minute Stu, is that right?" has been the equivalent of saying, "Hey, here's my notice".

I don't think age or generation matters even 1%. Some people are fiercely ambitious and capable at 25 years old, others are totally meek and along for the ride at 50 and vice-versa. It's the personality profile, not the DOBs which have been the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

This is a fantastic and heartfelt piece of writing, and I agree with almost all of it.

Check out the comments, too – one Steve Stone, our former managing director:

This is the best article I have read in the 5+ years since I left the Football Club. It perfectly encapsulates the situation that has arisen as a result of a complete lack of accountability at a senior level. This has resulted in terrible decisions being made which have had a hugely detrimental effect on the financial situation, and hence the future of Norwich City Football Club. What a shame that it has turned out like this.

The so-called '20%' is growing every day. As anyone who has followed my posts will know, I hate the binary nature of the 'happy clapper/nappy crapper' rhetoric; it's a lot more nuanced than that. But that's the metric that Delia has chosen to reduce it to, so she'll have to live with the consequences.

If anyone is able to prove these rumours that SW is still involved in running the club from afar, I think the fans will mobilise very quickly. Should that be proven to be the case, count me as a '20%er', much as I hate the terminology.

This........

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In case anyone else hasn't seen it, ex-BBC and ITV journo Mike Liggins has also put a shorter piece on MFW which is along similar lines:

https://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2024/01/07/beware-the-indifference-delia-these-fans-deserve-so-much-better/

This stood out. 

"It was PR hell and I just wish Delia and Michael would get some really good advice."

Again, I've been banging on about this for aeons, but they clearly don't listen to anyone who has a different opinion to them. It could all be so different.

Liggins understands what good PR does. I understand what a good Board looks like. Norwich City have been failing on both counts for several years now.

Until Attanasio takes control, we are in a downward spiral with Smith & Jones, long though they looked after the club well when they listened to others. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

What a great article and hits every nail on the head. I wonder what Delia defender  in chief makes of it, Mr Dennis? 

Im sure he will be putting an article on their defending our board very soon. 

Edited by TheBaldOne66

Seems strange that unlike other businesses they don't have a three lines of defence model, operations, policy/governance and then audit. It's due diligence 101 in lots of sectors, and something you would of thought that our lenders and external audit firm would expect. In the finance sector its an internal risk function, but in others normally a add on to internal audit or finance, which is then captured on the organisations risk register and reported on (and minuted) . The lack of internal senior challenge or some form of independent senior challenge, seems like a very strange model, and even more so that it has been allowed to continue. Very strange times.

• Like 2

Fantastic article and some great responses too. What a mess!

Really hope Attanasio gets sight of this because this is an absolute shambles to be investing into.

And Delia's response 'you have no idea'.

Brillant analysis Bridget would have liked to have listened to your rant, problem getting Radio Norfolk vie I'net.  Would take issue on one point, rapidly falling out of love with my love of over 40 years.  I can easily leave NCFC after the travails of this season, the disspiriting nature of the football served up has the affect of losing any interest in the club.

Maybe not a lost cause needs something to happen and soon.  Wagner out would be a start but Delia and current Board is also a necessitiy.  I think Attanasio is simply awaiting the current situation to worsen and Delia's departure is enhanced by fans pressure so ha can pick up the club for a song rather than the millions Delia will require.  Hanging on while the club continues to deteriorate should not be the action of someone who considers they are a supporter.  Move aside and take Zoe with you.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

What a great article and hits every nail on the head. I wonder what Delia defender  in chief makes of it, Mr Dennis? 

If he does perhaps he can declare at the same time whether it is purely his own opinion as distinct from a result of consultation with them  and/or financial benefit. He is entitled to his opinion but only on the same terms as everyone else unless otherwise declared

@Mick Dennis

Edited by essex canary

Brilliant article that will be ignored by the stowmarket 2

i doubt that anyone will even tell them that there is such fan discontent and that is why they think it’s only a small minority that are dissatisfied 

it’s like living in North Korea 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'd imagine it's genuine, would be a weird thing for someone to falsify. 

Thought Steve Stone was a decent guy too who'd be pretty frank and honest - although he may hold some resentment as he's not really held down a long-term position since leaving NCFC.

Any idea why he left then? Does the Club no longer like frank and honest people?

Yeh that is on point.

Should get her to call cc with an update every week rather than that twonk who normally calls in "yaright, wot I want to now is...."

I'm loving these comments about Webber still pulling the strings at the club.

You wanted him gone, he was the barrier to success and needed to be removed, now things are worse, the only reason this could possibly be the case is if...... Webber never left of course.

It's verging on manic hatred now. Ben Knapper has the job, has communicated absolutely nothing, seemingly a rabbit caught in the headlights when it comes to changing a clearly broken first-team.... and its Webber who is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Any idea why he left then? Does the Club no longer like frank and honest people?

No, Sorry. He went to Anglian Home Improvements for a year after us.

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I'm loving these comments about Webber still pulling the strings at the club.

You wanted him gone, he was the barrier to success and needed to be removed, now things are worse, the only reason this could possibly be the case is if...... Webber never left of course.

It's verging on manic hatred now. Ben Knapper has the job, has communicated absolutely nothing, seemingly a rabbit caught in the headlights when it comes to changing a clearly broken first-team.... and its Webber who is the problem.

It does seem oddly convenient 🙂 

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, Sorry. He went to Anglian Home Improvements for a year after us.

I am taking the view that the Club has recently preferred the kind of misguided brand defenders as depicted in the Post Office documentary ahead of frank and honest people. Shameful in both instances.

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

He left when we implemented our new corporate structure that saw Webber, Ward and Kensell form a three pronged executive committee. Whether that structure was arrived at because we knew he was leaving or he left because someone else wanted to change to that structure and there was no place in it for him I do not know.

My recollection is that he was primarily a finance man so whether or not he was suited to the long term CEO role is probably open to debate but he did seem to leave and it all changed rather abruptly. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He left when we implemented our new corporate structure that saw Webber, Ward and Kensell form a three pronged executive committee. Whether that structure was arrived at because we knew he was leaving or he left because someone else wanted to change to that structure and there was no place in it for him I do not know.

My recollection is that he was primarily a finance man so whether or not he was suited to the long term CEO role is probably open to debate but he did seem to leave and it all changed rather abruptly. 

A reorganisation could always leave someone out in the cold. Perhaps the same happened to Kensell too?

No reason why it couldn't potentially happen to Ward especially as her supporter engagement experience is by her own admission limited and shows no signs of improvement whilst clearly sorely needed. 

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Absolutely think we are in for another Mick Dennis masterclass very soon, where we will all be thoroughly put back in our box and told just how lucky we are.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It does seem oddly convenient 🙂 

Webber up a mountain in 2022: 'He needs to be more involved, he's never here',
Webber up a mountain in 2024: 'He is clearly too involved, he never left'

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Absolutely think we are in for another Mick Dennis masterclass very soon, where we will all be thoroughly put back in our box and told just how lucky we are.

Only surprise is the said response has not arrived already. Probably being 'signed off' by his Master (or should that be 'Mistress'??)

Both Bridget and Mike speak alot of sense. Hopefully they've heard of myfootballwriter in Milwaukee!

28 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Webber up a mountain in 2022: 'He needs to be more involved, he's never here',
Webber up a mountain in 2024: 'He is clearly too involved, he never left'

How the turns have tabled?! 

....Or maybe they never turned at all (And Webber's hiding under one at Colney?)

• Confused 1

Excellent article from Bridget sums up the disaster of governance at NCFC. 
With regards to Delia Smith’s performance at the AGM- it was as if she decided to take a dump in her own hands and then clap. The resulting shower of excrement splattered on all in attendance including her fellow Directors. If I was a Director I would never accept that and would be either extraditing myself from involvement in the Club or calling for her to stand down. Totally unacceptable and indicative of the amateur way this Club is run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

As an aside i am told he is director of finance at Norwich Theatre Royal.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As an aside i am told he is director of finance at Norwich Theatre Royal.

Part time, yes.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We talk about finances being up the creek, but isnt a large part of that down to covid/lockdowns? Those things certainly didn't help!

I'm no apologist for the way things are, but really, all it needs is having a head coach that gets players performing at their best and without fear.  An improvement on that front would make the changes going on at the club a bit easier to put up with - and things are changing - just not as quickly as most of us would like.

What is probably going to happen though, is that the club will soldier on to the end of the season with Wagner and if he fails to get us in the play offs, we'll look to get a better head coach in for next season. No point in hoping for one now imo, because unless we can find an Alex Neil type, any decent self respecting coach already in a job, isn't going to leave his club mid-season.

It's a heartfelt and fair article though and does ask the right questions - there is a strong feeling of disconnect at the moment - but inevitably, imo, it's what happens on the pitch that matters most.

It must be highlighted we still got Premier TV money during and after covid, more than most championship teams finances so really we weren’t as hard hit as some!

Fantastic read and hard to argue with, though I’m sure there will be some who will! Regardless….

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1