11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

To be fair, when he came on, he actually made a difference for a while, and also he did twice get into positions from which he should (for first chance) and might (for second chance) have scored, and getting into those positions is a key skill for a striker. I also accept that his all-round play has improved. But if he is to be a back-up striker to Sargent or to be part of a two-man striking team, he needs to be far more lethal. Maybe not peak-Pukki reliability, but a lot better than he's doing so far.

I think people forget the amount of chances we could create at times at this level under Farke for Pukki.

Over the course of the season Idah has a 5.4xG and has 6 goals. So he has basically the return you'd expect from the chances he's had.

For comparison, Szmodics is the leagues top scorers with 16. That's from an xG of 14.33.

The next is Armstrong with 13 from an xG of 11.67

It is too small a sample size till you've played a full season but it still gives an indication 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think people forget the amount of chances we could create at times at this level under Farke for Pukki.

Over the course of the season Idah has a 5.4xG and has 6 goals. So he has basically the return you'd expect from the chances he's had.

For comparison, Szmodics is the leagues top scorers with 16. That's from an xG of 14.33.

It is too small a sample size till you've played a full season but it still gives an indication 

OK, but one of the reasons we could create so many chances for Pukki was the runs he made. I see Idah as almost the polar opposite to Pukki, who had none of Idah's physical attributes but a brilliant footballing brain.

I accept Pukki honed that intelligence over many years before he came to us and that Idah is still relatively young. But I simply cannot see him ever having the intelligence to be a top-level footballer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

OK, but one of the reasons we could create so many chances for Pukki was the runs he made. I see Idah as almost the polar opposite to Pukki, who had none of Idah's physical attributes but a brilliant footballing brain.

I accept Pukki honed that intelligence over many years before he came to us and that Idah is still relatively young. But I simply cannot see him ever having the intelligence to be a top-level footballer.

He will never have Pukkis natural ability to read the game. I agree. He can still be a top Championship striker with his current attributes though.

• Haha 5

He’s just s**t.

Needs farming out on loan to a league one team to see if he’s even up to that standard 

• Like 2

If he doesn't make it at this level, it looks horrendous for the club that we've persevered for so long and give him a lomg contract. I hope for the club's sake he does come good, but it's looking increasingly unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He will never have Pukkis natural ability to read the game. I agree. He can still be a top Championship striker with his current attributes though.

Can’t agree with this, sorry. No point having the physical attributes if the brain can’t utilise them. 

He’s occasionally shown flashes of *something*, like at Ashton Gate this season. But he’s like a darts player hitting 20 with the first dart and following up with a pair of singles. 

Idah is a player I’ve always wanted to succeed without truly believing he ever will. I have no idea what KPIs he had to meet in order to get his 5 year contract, but they must’ve been very, very low bar. 

Idah is not the problem. Wagner is! Set the side up properly, Idah gets more chances which per his Xg, he gets more goals. Wagner is the problem.

• Like 1

Idah needs to be given a Grant Holt dvd! Same build, just need to start flexing on defenders like Holty did. Love to see him start being aggressive!

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Idah is not the problem. Wagner is! Set the side up properly, Idah gets more chances which per his Xg, he gets more goals. Wagner is the problem.

Exactly, he doesn't regularly outperform xG (note that the only player in the world who regularly did was Messi, Ronaldo only done it one season) but he doesn't underperform either.

He needs more chances created for him where he can be isolated 1v1 against a defender or finishing from balls played into him. 

The first ball from Onel for Idah was a great chance but how many of us expected Onel to put that ball in a good area? How often does he do it?

18 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Exactly, he doesn't regularly outperform xG (note that the only player in the world who regularly did was Messi, Ronaldo only done it one season) but he doesn't underperform either.

He needs more chances created for him where he can be isolated 1v1 against a defender or finishing from balls played into him. 

The first ball from Onel for Idah was a great chance but how many of us expected Onel to put that ball in a good area? How often does he do it?

He also might be a player who needs to play ,

all these 30 mins here and there and in and out of a side is hard for some players who need to settle in a role ,

he has everything needed physical football brain needs work but should have a full season and i think you would see a different player  

The loan thing is a bit of myth. There has simple hasn’t been a chance to send him out on loan. After the Preston hat trick Covid hit. The following season was the Covid season with the regulations I’m not sure shipping players out on loan was as much of a thing especially given Norfolk proximity to other clubs. He was also injured most of that season. Then came the following season in the premier league where again he was injured only being fully fit for a two month where to be fair he looked like one of our best players. Then last year with the impact he’d had in the premier league there was no way we were loaning him to another team. Which leads us to this season given Pukki had gone surely loaning him out was never on the agenda.

I agree a loan might have done him good but the timing never really worked out.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Sorry Hoggy, but I can't believe you said that!

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Spin it all you want Hoggy, he isn’t very good. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Look I really want to like the guy. I do.

But he's just not good enough is he?

Really really poor time to sell him 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Spin it all you want Hoggy, he isn’t very good. 

I dont need to spin anything I'm just talking about some facts.

3 hours ago, Tony DaWonderful said:

Idah needs to be given a Grant Holt dvd! Same build, just need to start flexing on defenders like Holty did. Love to see him start being aggressive!

but you cant give him his brain

9 minutes ago, mastoola said:

but you cant give him his brain

Holts career had been poorer than Idahs at the same age though?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Holts career had been poorer than Idah at the same age though?

i bet idah couldn't fit a tyre  i also bet idahs career is better than vardys at the same age

Edited by mastoola

I would suggest that he needs a loan for the rest of the season to get a run of starts, however the Hwang injury jeopardises that.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

You saw the goal, right? Onel actually puts in decent crosses quite a bit. Some are a bit wayward but he's generally pretty good at bursting into the box and putting balls into the danger area. He should have more assists, but a lot of that is due to poor finishing from our strikers. This is far from the first sitter missed this season following an excellent attacking run + cross from Hernandez.

As for Idah, I was firmly in the send on loan camp, but he actually has started to come good this season. He seemed to get dropped just as he was coming into form and he's been patchy since though. No idea why Hwang was picked vs Southampton; he had zero impact as usual, barely touching the ball (just like almost every game since we signed him). Idah should have been the clear pick while Sargent was out IMO. Dropping him for the useless Hwang clearly hit his confidence and he's a player who thrives on confidence. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Bunny said:

Some are a bit wayward but he's generally pretty good at bursting into the box and putting balls into the danger area.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here this year. Onel is incredibly bad at putting the ball in the right place to create chances. The goal was very much the exception and that was a very simple pass. 

The cross for Idah's 'miss' was awful. He absolutely twatted it across the box and put it too far in front of him, bouncing awkwardly. At head height he would have been able to throw himself at it; slightly softer and he could have slid in and bundled it home. But a half-volley on his left foot at that pace, trying to stretch to reach the ball when already running at speed is beyond most players. 

I'm not Idah's biggest fan. I think the guy is a bit of a moron, but his game has massively improved this season and he is a genuine threat, especially off the bench. None of his chances against Bristol Rovers were particularly easy and there were far bigger issues on display. 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

xG and similar stats are not facts. They are an abstracted generalisation based on the criteria that someone, somewhere has decided are the most important to include in trying to assess what we want to measure, and then a further decision about how best to evaluate and give relative weight to these criteria.

I'm not arguing that xG cannot accurately reflect 'reality', whatever that is - in fact it should reflect reality given the amount of very considerable brainpower that goes into it - merely that, old hat as it may sound, garbage in garbage out is still a good maxim against reifying abstracted data. The core decisions on which the whole edifice stands remain subjective and personally I can't see a way that they cannot be.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

You can prove anything with facts

24 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Wonder what he found so funny 

Plays with a smile on his face.