We got promoted previously with Sorensen at LB why not put him back there when he’s fit instead of McCallum who is a wing back rather than a Full Back. I’m not a fan of Ginnoulis neither to be honest. At least Sorensen has a footballing brain, can tackle and pass. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

We got promoted previously with Sorensen at LB why not put him back there when he’s fit instead of McCallum who is a wing back rather than a Full Back. I’m not a fan of Ginnoulis neither to be honest. At least Sorensen has a footballing brain, can tackle and pass. 

No thanks. Players of his ability I would rather be shipped out and improvements made. Stop gapping positions should not be needed unless an injury crisis and for once its not needed.

5 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Surprised by the lack of trust in Dimi. Am I  the only one who thinks he’s been one of our better, more consistent performers this season?

Yeh dimi has been the one shining light this year.

The love in for average lungi always makes me laugh, he's sh1t yeh some of our fan base feel he's beckenbaur merged into Messi.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

But didn't we literally just play a system with wingbacks against Southampton?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Surprised by the lack of trust in Dimi. Am I  the only one who thinks he’s been one of our better, more consistent performers this season?

I'd say he has been one of our best performers but is  inconsistent.

That's always been the issue with him, he seems to have the qualities that could make him a premier league full back (especially given how the position has developed over the years) but far too often he is prone to mistakes - often I think due to a lack of attention than ability.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I'd say he has been one of our best performers but is  inconsistent.

That's always been the issue with him, he seems to have the qualities that could make him a premier league full back (especially given how the position has developed over the years) but far too often he is prone to mistakes - often I think due to a lack of attention than ability.

He tends to get punished quite heavily for his dips in performance as well. I assume that is because at his age he should be at his prime, but his periods of making mistakes suggest that somehow his mentality isn't there to perform consistently, hence the apparent heavy handling of him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

No thanks. Players of his ability I would rather be shipped out and improvements made. Stop gapping positions should not be needed unless an injury crisis and for once its not needed.

We don’t have the money so why not use him until the end of the season and then Dimi, McCalum and Sorensen are all out of contract so we can clear the wage bill and start again.

• Like 1

If and when he gets fit it will be down to him to earn a place in the matchday squad. I can see him being a useful utility player for the bench, but can't see him starting at LB ahead of Sam or Dimi.

McCallum is the better of the 2 LBs. I'm surprised how much praise Dimi has got, this season. Were talking about a player that has never scored for the club. Granted, that's not his job, but never?

McCallum has already scored in his low number of starts, can occasionally cross well, and wins balls in the air/stands up to the physical stuff. I'm not saying that there's a lot of difference between the 2, just I think his ceiling is higher.

Sorenson is a solid enough player, but when we used him at LB it was just plugging a gap. He can't provide many of the things that a good full-back offers, he just doesnt lose that ball too easily.

I like Sorenson, but I don't see him as the answer to any of the problems that the team has, right now.

Posted (edited)

The only thing surprising about Sorensen is that the guy has barely  been mentioned this season. Usually when players are out injured they become better and better see Josh Sargent.

Given he is the lesser spotted CDM I find it strange. Probably scored the goal of the season last year as well.

Edited by Ulfotto

4 hours ago, Jersey Canary said:

You arent a fan of our left back, so much so you cannot spell his name correctly 

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

The only thing surprising about Sorensen is that the guy has barely  been mentioned this season. Usually when players are out injured they become better and better see Josh Sargent.

Given he is the lesser spotted CDM I find it strange. Probably scored the goal of the season last year as well.

Not sure how much better Josh can get to be honest-4 goals in 310 minutes this season. 

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

He tends to get punished quite heavily for his dips in performance as well. I assume that is because at his age he should be at his prime, but his periods of making mistakes suggest that somehow his mentality isn't there to perform consistently, hence the apparent heavy handling of him. 

Agreed. He can be in fantastic form but then seems to get comfortable, let standards / mentality slip and make goal-conceding errors.

1 hour ago, daniel_grieff said:

McCallum is the better of the 2 LBs. I'm surprised how much praise Dimi has got, this season. Were talking about a player that has never scored for the club. Granted, that's not his job, but never?

McCallum has already scored in his low number of starts, can occasionally cross well, and wins balls in the air/stands up to the physical stuff. I'm not saying that there's a lot of difference between the 2, just I think his ceiling is higher.

Sorenson is a solid enough player, but when we used him at LB it was just plugging a gap. He can't provide many of the things that a good full-back offers, he just doesnt lose that ball too easily.

I like Sorenson, but I don't see him as the answer to any of the problems that the team has, right now.

McCallum seems questionable defensively. There's been a number of goals against us lately where he's been jogging back when caught out of position or failing to block crosses or make interceptions (e.g the Southampton goal on Monday). Dimi seems more solid in that regard, and also offers a lot of pace and guile when attacking too. McCallum is still young, so will hopefully improve, but he's not at Dimi's level in terms of all round ability right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

McCallum seems questionable defensively. There's been a number of goals against us lately where he's been jogging back when caught out of position or failing to block crosses or make interceptions (e.g the Southampton goal on Monday). Dimi seems more solid in that regard, and also offers a lot of pace and guile when attacking too. McCallum is still young, so will hopefully improve, but he's not at Dimi's level in terms of all round ability right now. 

I know where youre coming from, I saw those mistakes, too. But I dont think it's as cut and dry as people think. These are the stats, according to fotmob:

IMG_0867.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg

7 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

We always look a worse side when he isn’t in the team 

i think what Knapper has to Decide do we get value for Money out of players like Sorensen 

does he play enough ? does he perform when he does ? 

we need a squad i realise but someone like Sorensen a youth team or younger player should be able to fill his position in squad ,

we spend all this money on Squad players who rarely play in the 1st team using up money in wages that could be used to give higher wages to best players and then remaining money to a youngster breaking through 

The saddest aspect for me is that Sorensen has the qualities to be a fantastic DM & CB, he’s calm and good on the ball yet a trait of losing concentration in games (though that can be said of many long term senior players to a degree too, Hanley & Gibson). If he can gain full fitness and cement a place in this weak squad & team he could do well, but he’s become a bit of a sick note and I think he’ll end up moving on this summer.

• Like 1

He's never had a prolonged run in what should be his best position, some of it due to being injured at inopportune moments, and when Skipp came in on loan, he was just damned unlucky that Skipp hit the ground running and never looked back. And when he got a few games later on last season, he was in a team that was very heavily hit by injuries so nowhere near a full-strength side.

Of all our midfielders though, he's usually up there in terms of winning tackles and intercepting balls, so you'd think he'd have a chance of being told "let Sara and Nunez wander forward more". That said, he did seem to have a knack of trying long channel balls with a bit too much on them and wasting possession when in the DCM position.

He's a really good utility option at this level when fit, and if the team is somewhat settled. I'd definitely keep him if it's feasible.

In my opinion worth a new contract simple as a utility player. Next season he could be 4th choice centre half, second choice right back, second choice left back and second choice central midfielder. We could then release one of McCallum or Dimi. Send Fisher out on loan. Release one of Gibson or Batth and release Forshaw.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, daniel_grieff said:

So we are bashing Giannoulis for his goalscoring record because McCallum has scored 1 goal, then giving McCallum credit for an apparent ability to cross. 

Giannoulis has 3 assists this season, McCallum has 0. Giannoulis is by far the better crosser of the ball and that's more important for an attacking full back then their goalscoring record.

Personally I'd like to see us offer terms to both Giannoulis and McCallum and then hope that at least one of them signs, we have a lot of problems in our side to address in the summer without needing to sign two new left backs.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

In my opinion worth a new contract simple as a utility player. Next season he could be 4th choice centre half, second choice right back, second choice left back and second choice central midfielder. 

He could if he could stay fit.

One to release and file under the 'would have been half useful if he weren't always injured', alongside Kieron Dowell.

Just need to know when to cut our losses.

• Like 1

I can see Dimi leaving this window for some reason. If that's the case then Sorensen will be a consideration for that role.

We need to go back to the Lambert school of recruitment where he wanted players who have a history of playing 40 matches plus per annum. The sooner we do that the sooner we don’t waste wages on players who are always injured. 

• Like 1

If Sorenson could get fit and stays fit he is exactly the template of the CDM for Wagner's system that we have been missing given his ability to drop back into a 3 and ability on the ball.  Two very big ifs on his records over the past couple of years but I can't imagine he is on big money so I'd say worth an extension if he gets back playing.

Southampton Goal 100% sainz should track the run of their fullback !

not the fullbacks Error ! 

If we were to release him I don't think another Championship side takes a punt on him, which probably gives you an answer.

And if he now goes and has a storming second half of the season then I'll be delighted to be painfully wrong

• Like 1