42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The atmosphere is terrible even if we play well. There's a horrible sense of entitlement that's only really came into play the last couple years presumably because of our recent history has had us generally dominating the championship. 

No it’s not. We haven’t played well since about September. It was pretty good then 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stratton canary said:

You didn't miss anything, apart from 11 players getting behind the ball! 

I that case he could probably have missed the first 70 minutes. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You aren’t bothering to read what’s written, are you.  It’s not just Wagner, or Smith, it was there under Farke’s last games.  The atmosphere had been dire since we came back from covid.

Try again.

Oh I can read. A horrible sense of entitlement was referred to. Hence my disagreement. 
As for Smith and Wagner - neither largely delivered much to cheer about. But the crowd are doing their best. But it’s draining watching such turgid dross. Or poor performances from players who are paid to play better. You seem to be overlooking these things, which is just odd. 

43 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not in any way.  When was the last time we had a decent atmosphere?  Pre covid. That is fact.  It was very poor under Farke’s last games, the Leeds game was awful.

Wrong about the fans being entitled bit. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Oh I can read. A horrible sense of entitlement was referred to. Hence my disagreement. 
As for Smith and Wagner - neither largely delivered much to cheer about. But the crowd are doing their best. But it’s draining watching such turgid dross. Or poor performances from players who are paid to play better. You seem to be overlooking these things, which is just odd. 

Reading and understanding are two different things.  Try again.

Do you honestly think we are worse than under Roeder, Hamilton, Grant et al?  It’ll tell you - not in a million years.  But the atmosphere then was nowhere near as bad as it is now. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

There’s no point in discussing things with you. You’re totally blinded, for reasons I won’t pretend to understand. 

It's apathy to bad football. It's been with us since farke was fired.

Like today, if have preferred to have lost 2-1 and to have attacked from the begining and seen entertaining football.

At the end of the day football is entertainment so should be entertaining - it has not been for 3 seasons now. This is the problem.

Yes yes football is a points business etc etc but I'd rather as stated lose and be entertained than soy back with 11 men backing off and win 1-0. It's boring.

Also the drum does not help as it's like a giant "clap now" sign. It stifles any organic noise or chanting.

The 3 songs on repeat are tinpot and it sounds ****ing stupid in all honesty.

The noise we had under Lambert, wee baldy and farke was organic produced by fans who were entertained and enjoying watching the team play.

I was actually encouraged to see the majority of fans ignoring the drum today actually.

Like I said before the game the dirty little secret the 80% have been trying to keep about the club is slowly escaping the local sphere.

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

There’s no point in discussing things with you. You’re totally blinded, for reasons I won’t pretend to understand. 

Not at all - you just appear capable of entertaining the idea there’s an alternative view and/or that football has existed for many years before now.  

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Like I said before the game the dirty little secret the 80% have been trying to keep about the club is slowly escaping the local sphere.

I'm starting to think the 80% referred to blood/alcohol levels

Blaming it on entitlement is a bit like saying it's everyone else's fault, but not mine.

It really isn't difficult to understand why the atmosphere is mostly poor.

Good turn out today though, the '4000 empty seats' were quite well filled!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The prize for the half time competition is a hot dog. 

That is pretty cheap - particularly as they were probably just promotional material left behind by BK8 after their short-lived sponsorship deal was cancelled ... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all - you just appear capable of entertaining the idea there’s an alternative view and/or that football has existed for many years before now.  

I’ve been watching Norwich since the Premier League was formed. Our crowd always shows up. That’s part of the current problem, in some respects - but none the less they’re there and they cheer - more so when better is on offer than presently. It’s not hard to be apathetic right now but it’s not without reason. And entitlement really isn’t the reason. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You're spot on. As I just said, as soon as we conceded the Snakepit started singing "Wagner your football is sh*t"

Either have the balls to do it before we concede, or keep quiet. Don't wait for a singular goal. And of course they sing it again and we score a well worked goal and they suddenly stop again.

They're so flip-flop based purely on result, as you say. I'd respect an actual prolonged anti Wagner campaign as at least the consistency would show some backbone to their calls. As it is they look far more stupid than Wagner himself.

You’re not going to get that at Norwich though are you. Never have, never will. The supporter base in the main is placid and compliant.. that can be both positive and negative, by the way.

There’s no doubt though, the general consensus within the fanbase is one of displeasure. The lack of atmosphere and empty seats show that. The club should recognise that, rather than take advantage of the fact our fanbase will not actively organise mass protest like other clubs fans would. The Webbers, Delia, etc, would not survive at many other clubs other than Norwich. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Do you honestly think we are worse than under Roeder, Hamilton, Grant et al?  It’ll tell you - not in a million years.  But the atmosphere then was nowhere near as bad as it is now. 

Social media doesn’t help in my opinion. At least under those managers we were awful, but you had all week to forget about it and were mildly hopeful by the time the next game rolled around snd the crowd would be lively again at the start of the game, albeit not for long when we inevitably started losing.

Now too many spend all their time in between the matches complaining about anything and everything online that they’re still in a bad mood come the start of the next game. Unless we’re winning within the first 5 minutes it’s just grumbles all the way. Too many turn up expecting to see Total Football, forgetting we’re a second division side without some dopey billionaire throwing millions at a promotion push.

In my opinion we can and should be doing better than we are this season, but it’s not bad enough to explain the absolutely pathetic amount of atmosphere there has been at a number of matches 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We were crap then as you say but were surviving on lots of loans and free transfers. The money that was squandered by Webber coupled up with inadequate performances is why atmospheres are flat. People who have paid to watch now choose to stay at home. 

1 minute ago, Fen Canary said:

Social media doesn’t help in my opinion. At least under those managers we were awful, but you had all week to forget about it and were mildly hopeful by the time the next game rolled around snd the crowd would be lively again at the start of the game, albeit not for long when we inevitably started losing.

Now too many spend all their time in between the matches complaining about anything and everything online that they’re still in a bad mood come the start of the next game. Unless we’re winning within the first 5 minutes it’s just grumbles all the way. Too many turn up expecting to see Total Football, forgetting we’re a second division side without some dopey billionaire throwing millions at a promotion push.

In my opinion we can and should be doing better than we are this season, but it’s not bad enough to explain the absolutely pathetic amount of atmosphere there has been at a number of matches 

E

i

g

h

t

y

%
e

r

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

E

i

g

h

t

y

%
e

r

The outstanding wit of the terminally online!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Firstly the gap between then and now is not a “million years” we’re currently bottom half championship side, just like we were under those managers. Albeit, I agree the current side is better, but look at the facts, it’s closer than you imply. 

The difference now, is we’re clearly underachieving. We’re missing the targets set by the club. It’s not entitlement.. Fans would be on board with crap football yielding  results, or our current position with better football and a clear purpose to improve. We’re currently playing crap football in our current bottom half position. It’s not rocket science why the fans aren’t happy..

Just now, Fen Canary said:

The outstanding wit of the terminally online!

The unrivalled vision and intelligence of the 80%

30 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No it’s not. We haven’t played well since about September. It was pretty good then 

It was bad when we beat Huddersfield 2-0 and Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 yet we played well in both and created and "entertained". Both were in the past month, not September.

Maybe it's because it was "only" Huddersfield or whatever but that comes back down to entitlement.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

The unrivalled vision and intelligence of the 80%

Surely the idea of an insult is that it’s supposed to be actually insulting towards the person you aim it towards? Surely being part of the 1/5th of supporters who spend every waking hour crying online about the fact we’re currently in the same position we’ve been in for the last 50 years on average would be worse?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It was bad when we beat Huddersfield 2-0 and Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 yet we played well in both and created and "entertained". Both were in the past month, not September.

Maybe it's because it was "only" Huddersfield or whatever but that comes back down to entitlement.

It really doesn’t.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Surely the idea of an insult is that it’s supposed to be actually insulting towards the person you aim it towards? Surely being part of the 1/5th of supporters who spend every waking hour crying online about the fact we’re currently in the same position we’ve been in for the last 50 years on average would be worse?

It’s not necessarily an insult. Most 80%ers love being 80%ers. Love a day out, love a hot dog, love a drunk cook in charge, love low standards.

Edited by The Real Buh
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s not necessarily an insult. Most 80%ers love being 80%ers. Love a day out, love a hot dog, love a drink cook in charge, love low standards.

How wrong you are.

I hate hotdogs.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Questions like this never have one simple answer.

In my view we've always been a relatively quiet crowd. There is really only one stand that generates any sort of atmosphere which isn't something I've seen elsewhere- you always have the louder areas but the City, River and a good 50% of the Jarrold are largely silent during the game.

I think the demographic of our fans plays a big part- North Norfolk for instance has the oldest population in the UK. From my experience there were lots of people who sat around where I sat who just went for something to do. A bit older than me, generally middle class. They liked football but weren't massively passionate and went for a nice afternoon out rather than wanting to 'support' so to speak. They'd clap and cheer but weren't much interested in creating an atmosphere. We also seemed to have a fair few people who had Norwich as their second team- either kids/teens who were Liverpool or Man U fans but went to Norwich as they liked going to see games live and weren't going to be going to Anfield or Old Trafford any time soon, or people who'd relocated from other parts of the country and wanted to watch live football still.

Without meaning to sound ageist, the kind of fans who create atmosphere are generally younger. An aging demographic with expensive season tickets isn't going to create a cauldron of noise, before you consider the general apathy that seems to exist right now.

Edit- I'd also add that people in Norfolk generally come across as quite relaxed. There is defintiely a not insignificant group of fans who might grumble but don't like to make a fuss and wouldn't dream of proactively calling for the head of a manager or certainly an owner, especially when those owners are a nice, elderly couple who are clearly fans. I do think that if you changed nothing about the last decade but made our owners a 50 year old business spiv like Mike Ashely there would be significantly more backlash.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I hate this nonsense about how "fans just want to see good football". Total, total tosh. If we're playing exciting free flowing football but getting beat more often than not, the fans would kick off and demand the manager is sacked. 

Loads of fans would love to see us just get big physical lumps in who 'put it in the mixer' and you can often hear groans when we try to play through the thirds. Stop lying to yourself - style matters very little to a huge section of the fanbase. If we'd have won 2-1 today to put us top, everyone would have called it a tactical masterclass - the reason it is unacceptable is because we're midtable and we didn't win. Nothing to do with the setup. 

Playing that way, usually yields positive results more often than not.

If we were in our current league position, but playing exciting free flowing football, I’m nigh on certain the fans in the main would be happier than they currently are. Sure, there would be dissatisfaction at the league position, but playing in a more positive manner naturally produces a more positive response. So no, IMO, not “total, total, tosh.” 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Questions like this never have one simple answer.

In my view we've always been a relatively quiet crowd. There is really only one stand that generates any sort of atmosphere which isn't something I've seen elsewhere- you always have the louder areas but the City, River and a good 50% of the Jarrold are largely silent during the game.

I think the demographic of our fans plays a big part- North Norfolk for instance has the oldest population in the UK. From my experience there were lots of people who sat around where I sat who just went for something to do. A bit older than me, generally middle class. They liked football but weren't massively passionate and went for a nice afternoon out rather than wanting to 'support' so to speak. They'd clap and cheer but weren't much interested in creating an atmosphere. We also seemed to have a fair few people who had Norwich as their second team- either kids/teens who were Liverpool or Man U fans but went to Norwich as they liked going to see games live and weren't going to be going to Anfield or Old Trafford any time soon, or people who'd relocated from other parts of the country and wanted to watch live football still.

Without meaning to sound ageist, the kind of fans who create atmosphere are generally younger. An aging demographic with expensive season tickets isn't going to create a cauldron of noise, before you consider the general apathy that seems to exist right now.

In summary, it’s the coffin dodgers fault. I agree with you 😉

• Haha 1