3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Reading and understanding are two different things.  Try again.

Do you honestly think we are worse than under Roeder, Hamilton, Grant et al?  It’ll tell you - not in a million years.  But the atmosphere then was nowhere near as bad as it is now. 

That was because fans cared and had passion,  the last 3 years have drained them,  keep being attacked by the board and webber has destroyed anything left. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

That was because fans cared and had passion,  the last 3 years have drained them,  keep being attacked by the board and webber has destroyed anything left. 

And being lampooned in the national media for our lame efforts in the EPL 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

It was bad when we beat Huddersfield 2-0 and Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 yet we played well in both and created and "entertained". Both were in the past month, not September.

Maybe it's because it was "only" Huddersfield or whatever but that comes back down to entitlement.

No , it's because there's no future to look ahead and just not caring. Both those games deserved better support as did today , but I say it again there's nothing to look ahead too. 

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I agree with Hog, Branston et al

There has been an expectation in the past few years which carries with it zero patience. A lot of the players look scared to make mistakes, something I call Idah Syndrome, and I think a lot of that has to do with the volume of negative reinforcement.

It's a two-way street of course, things haven't been too smart on the pitch for a while and you cant have one without the other. But, given our rocking start, the support from the stands faded very quickly from Rotherham A onwards.

Personally I feel the club is in a much wider transitional state than most realise, and this is part of that. There is a great number of fans all over social media saying things like 'just cba to go anymore' and harsh as it may sound, that is necessary. The seats will vacate, the football will eventually turn around, the seats will fill again with the new cycle of fans with the enthusiasm of novelty. Such is life.

I love fans who knock other fans , where do you sit? Because apart from about 30 In the bottom of the barclay and me , I heard nothing at all most of the match from anywhere.  

2 hours ago, daly said:

We really are the pits when it comes to organisation and getting things right

Hot Dog for hitting the Crossbar 

Big Deal who wants that crap anyway

Scoreboard full of adverts and when NCFC team announced no subs shown

Then the clock stops working 

Sound system in South stand inaudible

Clock stopping was the last straw,  and the scoreboard doesn't turn anymore.  

2 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Like Delia though I am partial to a wine/port/sherry/tequila slammer! 

You need all them at once to get an atmosphere,  it worked at Ipswich.  

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Maybe calling them divorcees wasn’t a smart move?

I think Buh is right to be honest, you can’t simultaneously hate the people that make the noise and then be surprised when they don’t.

It’s been a good few years since I bothered getting a seat in the lower Barclay, just realised it was not me to be honest. I’ll make noise when I get to games, clap and cheer but I’d rather watch the game intently than heckle the opposition.

However I’ve always appreciated the level of noise from those that do sit in those areas, they are an important part of the club. I’m not convinced they are appreciated enough.

You get the rough with the smooth. I don’t know what game you were watching Hoggy but it was pretty **** until that happened.

Totally,  between webber and Delia they have upset the only passionate fans who still cared. They seem to love the 80% who turn up , sit in silence and leave. 

4 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I don’t think it’s entitlement as much as a lingering frustration that somewhere in the Farke era was a team that could and should have had a really good premier league season and for one reason or another it never came to pass.

Our season's points tally was the worst since 1903. Hardly fine margins, was it? Teams that could and should have done well in the premier League don't crash and burn to that extent.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Why were our fans louder when we had 18 loan players getting relegated under Roeder then? We didn't need to be told about some big future plan.

Just go support the team who despite everything are at the very least working hard. 

Because they hated him and wanted him out. We have 3 stands who don't make a sound,  they turn up and go home , we have one stand and a corner section who did  try to back the team most weeks , unfortunately these are your divorces and 20% who the club don't like . Maybe they think Delias 80% should make some noise if they are so happy. I believe we are moaning about the atmosphere not booing. Get your 80% singing, because the ones booing and getting upset are the fans who still care and aren't going anywhere.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

I have heard that safe standing is coming to multiple areas of the ground. So perhaps this is the play ?

Why would that make a difference,  I thought the bottom of the barclay and snake pit stand anyway , you will still have a selected place to stand . 

• Like 1

Is that a breeze of snowflakes- that terrible Board and those horrible people in the media being critical of us honourable folk. 

56 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Why were our fans louder when we had 18 loan players getting relegated under Roeder then? We didn't need to be told about some big future plan.

Just go support the team who despite everything are at the very least working hard. 

I bet I support them vocally louder than any of you on here who are moaning about fans. But I totally understand why others don't.  

19 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Our season's points tally was the worst since 1903. Hardly fine margins, was it? Teams that could and should have done well in the premier League don't crash and burn to that extent.

They do with a mid championship mind set board . How are Burnley getting on this Season? 

5 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

Is that a breeze of snowflakes- that terrible Board and those horrible people in the media being critical of us honourable folk. 

Snowflakes! Really? No that would be the fans who generate any noise in the ground because they still care. Is this topic about no-one singing or turning on the team? The 20% who are the actual vocal section of the club have made up their minds . So it's now upto the 80% to show them what they have. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

They do with a mid championship mind set board . How are Burnley getting on this Season? 

What's your point? What has Burnley got to do with us, or our board.

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What's your point? What has Burnley got to do with us, or our board.

Well we were Burnley the season we went up , so what's Burnleys excuse .we should not have went up , we were punching miles above our boards financial position. 

20 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

Go to bed Delia 

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Maybe calling them divorcees wasn’t a smart move?

You get the rough with the smooth. I don’t know what game you were watching Hoggy but it was pretty **** until that happened.

"A Sporting Director who isn't even at the club anymore referred to a select few of us as divorcees and now as a collective we won't vocally support the club on the pitch?"

Nah, doesn't wash with me. Surely football fans aren't that soft? Actually.. 

And yes, as a spectacle it was poor. But when the snakepit can offer zero support from second 0 but sing about the football being sh*t ironically as we started to form counter attacks is beyond me. Maybe one of them can explain it on here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

"A Sporting Director who isn't even at the club anymore referred to a select few of us as divorcees and now as a collective we won't vocally support the club on the pitch?"

Nah, doesn't wash with me. Surely football fans aren't that soft? Actually.. 

And yes, as a spectacle it was poor. But when the snakepit can offer zero support from second 0 but sing about the football being sh*t ironically as we started to form counter attacks is beyond me. Maybe one of them can explain it on here.

Problem is the sporting director had Delias full support,  and then she had her own dig . It really is time her 80% started getting vocally behind the team don't you think?  Don't moan about certain sections for not singing when 3 stands do nothing.  

2 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

Problem is the sporting director had Delias full support,  and then she had her own dig . It really is time her 80% started getting vocally behind the team don't you think?  Don't moan about certain sections for not singing when 3 stands do nothing.  

But 3 stands doing nothing has sort of been the norm for us.

I'm lower Barclay and whilst we try and start stuff even those around me aren't interested for the most part. I'd say out of the 50 people closest only 20 of us get involved in making any noise. 

Ultimately there is very little we can do apart from hope those ones don't renew and are replace with fans who want to get behind the team.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

I'm lower Barclay and whilst we try and start stuff even those around me aren't interested for the most part. I'd say out of the 50 people closest only 20 of us get involved in making any noise. 

Ultimately there is very little we can do apart from hope those ones don't renew and are replace with fans who want to get behind the team.

So you are part of the only ones singing, fair play to you. I sit above you , normally singing on my own,  chanting yellows or come on city all game.  I am embarrassed by our fans, but I totally understand it, so it anoys me when people target the moaners who actually care. The snake pit have made their views clear , rightly or wrongly they don't like the football. I am not sure why Webber targeted them,  as last Season it more came from e block , then Delia finished it off . I don't know how you change it , alcohol and drugs seemed to work at Ipswich,  looking at my fellow fans . 

4 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

That is pretty cheap - particularly as they were probably just promotional material left behind by BK8 after their short-lived sponsorship deal was cancelled ... 

In the Crossbar Challenge that announcer stating you’ve won a Hot Dog must feel embarrassed 

How cheap can this club get

7 hours ago, daly said:

In the Crossbar Challenge that announcer stating you’ve won a Hot Dog must feel embarrassed 

How cheap can this club get

Have faith, they can go cheaper still. 

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

Sounds like you need 20,000 not to renew to create the desired atmosphere. 

Posted (edited)

Without meaning to chuck a hand grenade in, I'd ask...do our previous majority shareholders actually want a proper atmosphere?

Delia & MWJ's 80% of 'good supporters' mainly aren't the loud kind. They are the kind I mentioned in an earlier post, those who clap and cheer along at times, celebrate a goal but don't want to chant/sing. If we lose they'll clap the team off and for a good effort and then get on with their lives. Nothing wrong with that to be clear. However I'm largely of the believe these are the kind of fans Delia & MWJ are the most comfortable with having. 

The biggest contradiction is that in recent years the fans who've made the most concerted effort to improve our atmosphere sit firmly in that 20%. City Elite are made up largely of those who got ridiculed for their bedsheet protest. 

I think if the club want a real atmosphere then they are better served trying to get that 20% back onside than by hoping the 80% of placid, polite fans suddenly fancy creating a fortress mentality. 

Edited by king canary
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Without meaning to chuck a hand grenade in, I'd ask...do our previous majority shareholders actually want a proper atmosphere?

Delia & MWJ's 80% of 'good supporters' mainly aren't the loud kind. They are the kind I mentioned in an earlier post, those who clap and cheer along at times, celebrate a goal but don't want to chant/sing. If we lose they'll clap the team off and for a good effort and then get on with their lives. Nothing wrong with that to be clear. However I'm largely of the believe these are the kind of fans Delia & MWJ are the most comfortable with having. 

The biggest contradiction is that in recent years the fans who've made the most concerted effort to improve our atmosphere sit firmly in that 20%. City Elite are made up largely of those who got ridiculed for their bedsheet protest. 

I think if the club want a real atmosphere then they are better served trying to get that 20% back onside than by hoping the 80% of placid, polite fans suddenly fancy creating a fortress mentality. 

That's great, but what does the 20% actually want? Is there a coherent preference? Do they prioritise results or do they prioritise eye-catching performances and entertainment. Without a lot more money than we have, you can't reliably expect both. Granted, with new investment maybe  we should be able to hope for both in the future, but people should be making at choice at the moment and sticking to it, because it's just unrealistic otherwise.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

11 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Most fans I speak to in person who have season tickets or go regularly don't really care about results or how we play. They just like the day out with their family or go out of habit because they always have done.

The age thing is a sensitive topic and I know plenty of people around my age or younger who go and sit in silence and whenever I have sat in stands outside the Barclay it's usually one of the old boys who try to get some chants going but all the boring miserable sods just ignore them or give them looks so fair play to them but they're the exception to the rule. I'm not criticizing older fans and I know first hand how embarrassing it is trying to make some noise but getting looks or being told to sit down and be quiet in the 3 other stands so I don't blame people for staying silent because most fans in those stands don't want to support their team, they just want to sit down, drink or eat whatever they bought in the concourse and watch the game in peace and quiet . We do have lots of fans who are either too old to be bothered to get up and make noise and who just want to sit down and watch the game and loads of families who turn up together for the day out but aren't that interested and who just sit there in silence eating snacks and playing on their phones. Our crowd is mostly made up of very old people and families taking their kids out and you aren't going to get a big atmosphere from that demographic as a general rule. 

The Barclay is different, you get a real mix of people in there who are really passionate about supporting their team and whether they're quiet or not depends on how the team is doing which is fair enough. But in all the other stands im always surrounded by very old people or families who give me dirty looks when I try to get a chant going like I'm disturbing their peace and quiet or upsetting their small children by making noise so I gave up a while ago trying to loudly cheer on the team in those areas. Like I said before you occasionally get one old boy trying to get a song going as well but people just mutter under their breaths about wanting him to be quiet or wanting them to sit down so they can watch the game in peace.

I don't know what the solution is. Maybe offering cheaper tickets? Outside of Norwich and some of the posher villages, Norfolk is a very impoverished county with some of the most deprived areas in the country which puts a lot of fans off going.  Also  people from Norfolk tend to be very reserved and quiet. But even though the team is struggling right now the atmosphere in the stands is a big problem and something has to be done to improve the atmosphere. 

Nail on head hit.

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

I’m glad you said doing nothing “ has sort have been the norm “ for three quarters of the ground. In past seasons there’s certainly been a fair bit of noise in the South Stand and even the River End has occasionally been known to wake up. I agree though that most of what atmosphere there is comes from the Barclay and Snakepit.

I think your hope that non-renewals will be replaced by livelier supporters is unlikely. Most renew out of habit, I certainly do. If new blood is injected and the entertainment value doesn’t rise it won’t be long before the stuffing gets knocked out of them too.

For various reasons I’ve only attended one game this season and I can’t say I’ve missed it much at all.

12 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

When did we play exciting football in October?

You think we weren't playing attacking front-foot football then? We were the second highest scorers in the league! Your reaction illustrates my point perfectly, it was 'crap football' because we weren't winning, not because it was dull, long-ball, safety-first etc.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

You think we weren't playing attacking front-foot football then? We were the second highest scorers in the league! Your reaction illustrates my point perfectly, it was 'crap football' because we weren't winning, not because it was dull, long-ball, safety-first etc.

October saw us take one point from 5 matches. 

• Like 1