KiwiScot

Official 2024 Lappinitup Match Thread-Norwich v Southampton

Posted (edited)

Happy New Year Pink'un Posters!

Hope springs enteral for 2024, but dark times with results and performances remaining mixed and the forum full of constant negative threads. Defensive scapegoats being one talking point so with that in mind we welcome former captain, club legend and scapegoat Russell Martin back to Carrow Road. Last time we met it was 4:4 and Martin was soon to be on shaky peg however having adjusted they are 17 games unbeaten, hunting down automatics and are only 3 points behind the scum. We need those 3 points however so it's 1 win for us and onward to the Wembley in 2024.

One to Watch - Adam Armstrong with 12 goals from 25 games this season

Pic.thumb.jpg.bb67c441ec229f36a148dd0fc05752bd.jpg

News - Wagner "rebuild momentum". Giannoulis had minor injury on Friday and will be back for the Cup. Sargent sub at least. Duffy likely to start after being rested. Ruel Fox trying to save Whitton United(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-67766828). The transfer Window is open with rumours already flying that Rowe is linked with Spurs.

Preview - https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/norwich-city/preview/preview-norwich-vs-southampton-prediction-team-news-lineups_532458.html

Southamptons Preview - https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61595/southampton-at-norwich-city-the-preview
Southampton Match Thread - https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60586-norwich-v-saints-nyd-3pm/

OTBC!

Pups Thread - Charity wins money if any of the following happens from the game.

Rowe to score anytime

£10.00

Sara to score anytime

£12.00

1-1 Draw

£6.50

2-2 Draw

£12.00

Sainz to score and McLean yellow card

£33.00

Armstrong to score and Bednarak yellow card

£17.00

Btts , more than 3.5 goals, more than 7.5 corners

£3.25

Norwich win , sergeant to score anytime and Walker peters yellow card

£23.00

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Flynn Downes (ex Ipswich) suffered a bout of food poisoning after eating raw chicken liver. Poor lad,  who'd have known!

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

When will we see our strongest team out there, I wonder.

Imo that's -

Gunn

Stacey Hanley McLean Giannoulis

Sara Nunez

Rowe      Barnes    Sainz

Sargent

Edited by lake district canary

It will he an interesting team selection. Can't help thinking if we don't play a proper 3 man midfield today we will quickly get over-run. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I can genuinely see this being Wagner's last game.

I have thought that for a while, but Delia has other ideas

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Flynn Downes (ex Ipswich) suffered a bout of food poisoning after eating raw chicken liver. Poor lad,  who'd have known!

How offal for the poor bloke....

• Sad 1

It's certainly gonna be a tough game for us....

I may get there a few minutes earlier than the norm and start yodelling....The drum is so last year....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justin time said:

Oh my what a pate’.

Eating raw stuff you must beak careful....It must have had a fowl taste?.....

Posted (edited)

I have got a really bad feeling about this one

I can see the real die hard 80%ers giving Russell Martin and Delia a good old clap after a drubbing this afternoon in my minds eye…

Edited by The Real Buh

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who do we think will be our starting striker partnership today? Hwang and Sargent?

If he decides that Sargent is ready to start which may not be the case as he is often very cautious with players coming back from a long injury, he may well try to resurrect the successful Sargent/Barnes partnership which brought success at the beginning of the season, at least to start with.

I think Hwang edges it over Idah, but Idah or Barnes or Idah with Barnes is anybody's guess.

The big interest for me will be the central defensive line-up. This could be anything, and Wagner is probably putting the names in a hat as I write this.

Sara, Rowe, Saintz and Nunez should all start, imo, and possibly everybody feels this way except the manager who will probably use his hat for this as well.

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I have got a really bad feeling about this one

I can see the real die hard 80%ers giving Russell Martin and Delia a good old clap after a drubbing this afternoon in my minds eye…

I very, very much doubt that will happen.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

If he decides that Sargent is ready to start which may not be the case as he is often very cautious with players coming back from a long injury, he may well try to resurrect the successful Sargent/Barnes partnership which brought success at the beginning of the season, at least to start with.

I think Hwang edges it over Idah, but Idah or Barnes or Idah with Barnes is anybody's guess.

The big interest for me will be the central defensive line-up. This could be anything, and Wagner is probably putting the names in a hat as I write this.

Sara, Rowe, Saintz and Nunez should all start, imo, and possibly everybody feels this way except the manager who will probably use his hat for this as well.

I get the feeling Barnes will be left on the bench for two reasons. Firstly he started in what, three matches in the past week? Secondly he was not exactly a well behaved boy in our last match which Wagner was very critical of post match.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

I get the feeling Barnes will be left on the bench for two reasons. Firstly he started in what, three matches in the past week? Secondly he was not exactly a well behaved boy in our last match which Wagner was very critical of post match.

Yep!

But, it's David Wagner we're talking about here.

4 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I very, very much doubt that will happen.

100% they stay to clap Martin. 100%
They did it for Farke even though he’d just beat us.

Sarge will be interesting to see 

you would Expect him to take a few weeks to get up to speed after such a lay off 

i must admit i am a bit concern everybody is thinking everything will be back to normal now he is back ,

hopefully he is fit and strong but that was some injury 

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Let's turn Carrow Rd into a fortress again 😉

Yes Let's make Norwich great again

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don't think both Sainz and Barnes will start. Sainz will probably be on the bench if only because he's not great defensively.

I'll be well wrong no doubt and they'll both start, snarling and whinging.

7 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Yes Let's make Norwich great again

Biggly 

I really hope the boys pull together today & take some confidence, or even fear of losing places from a thicker squad / returning players. 

I don't feel good about today though. 

The dilemma for Wagner is he’s spoilt for choice for strikers but apart from Sargent none of them are very good 

Like to see Hanley with KM in center defence and Rowe and Sainz both to start. Unfortunately can see them steamroller us early on so we will need to be absolutely resolute.

Now off to the game. Lets make some noise OTBC

2 minutes ago, daly said:

The dilemma for Wagner is he’s spoilt for choice for strikers but apart from Sargent none of them are very good 

Actually Sargent isn't really that good (compared with what we have had the joy of watching previously), it's more to do with him being the best of what we currently have. 

26 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't think both Sainz and Barnes will start. Sainz will probably be on the bench if only because he's not great defensively.

I'll be well wrong no doubt and they'll both start, snarling and whinging.

I'd be surprised if Barnes started, simply because Southampton will be passing around & through us, which would mean that we need player's who have the ability to do a lot of running. 

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It will he an interesting team selection. Can't help thinking if we don't play a proper 3 man midfield today we will quickly get over-run. 

100% agree. Must stop the rot