Sign in to follow this  
canarydan23

Please God no

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah, we go 7 matches unbeaten and one of the first threads is a winge and a moan moan moan

Classic. Love this place

What's a winge? Does that fit into the 80% or the 20%?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah, we go 7 matches unbeaten and one of the first threads is a winge and a moan moan moan

We aren't 7 games unbeaten.

We are 5 games unbeaten, the game before that was an away defeat to Watford?

I was hoping Gibson would be tried out as a more defensive midfielder. McLean should have some respect put on his name for his efforts at centre-half.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I was hoping Gibson would be tried out as a more defensive midfielder. McLean should have some respect put on his name for his efforts at centre-half.

I was hoping Gibson would be tried out as the tea lady, to be honest.

• Like 2

While his performances in defence are a credit to him and a manager might want McLean to stay there. To be fair to McLean he will be wanting to get back into his midfield role to compete for a place in the Scotland Euro squad which is not guaranteed. Given Hanley has to come back in at some point soon you're going to want Gibson back playing.

4 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

While his performances in defence are a credit to him and a manager might want McLean to stay there. To be fair to McLean he will be wanting to get back into his midfield role to compete for a place in the Scotland Euro squad which is not guaranteed. Given Hanley has to come back in at some point soon you're going to want Gibson back playing.

McLean is doing much better at CB than CM, and Nunez is doing much better at CM than McLean was.

If Wagner reverts back to McLean at CM to bring Gibson in at Nunez's expense then we can kiss goodbye to our recent run of positive results.

He has to know that, surely? What McLean wants for his tinpot international career is of zero concern to Norwich. He's better, and we're better, with him outside of our midfield.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 5

I must say I've been enjoying Mclean at CB with his passing ability and link up play. That in itself has enabled a better version of the team with Sara and Nunez in there too.  Between the three of them, they have developed a good understanding and the interplay at the back is definitely better. Change that and we run the risk of setting back the fluidity that we are starting to gain. Not saying Gibson isn't a good player, but Mclean looks the part - and we are on a good run, so why would we change it?

• Like 1

Didn’t see any issue with that change at that time of the game, gibson comes in for some unfair stick and certainly doesn’t deserve to get booed - didn’t do anything wrong 

that said i agree with the sentiment of not changing a winning team 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I must say I've been enjoying Mclean at CB with his passing ability and link up play. That in itself has enabled a better version of the team with Sara and Nunez in there too.  Between the three of them, they have developed a good understanding and the interplay at the back is definitely better. Change that and we run the risk of setting back the fluidity that we are starting to gain. Not saying Gibson isn't a good player, but Mclean looks the part - and we are on a good run, so why would we change it?

I agree with you.  Nunez and Sara starting to gel now. Get some pace up top and Rowe on the right and things are looking promising.  

Dobt change a winningvteam. Mclean has been playing well at CB, and Nunez growing into his midfield partnership with Sara.

Thats tied in with our upturn in results. We shouldnt tinker with that purely to accommodate Gibson, just beause hes fit.

Wagner will ruin this if he reverts back. Players have to earn their recall and there's nothing to support Gubson coming back yet

I would imagine Wagner just wanted Gibson to get some minutes on the pitch while we were comfortable.

Kenny at CH has been a revelation and Wagner deserves credit for that. Also Nunes has been improving in his deep roll. I’d leave things as they are until Hanley gets back and then the possibilities open up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

McLean is doing much better at CB than CM, and Nunez is doing much better at CM than McLean was.

If Wagner reverts back to McLean at CM to bring Gibson in at Nunez's expense then we can kiss goodbye to our recent run of positive results.

He has to know that, surely? What McLean wants for his tinpot international career is of zero concern to Norwich. He's better, and we're better, with him outside of our midfield.

I hear everyone in saying the play is better. If McLean even has an opinion like I'm suggesting it's better not to give him zero concern as he might switch off. Which I doubt for McLean tbh, but you don't rate him until now clearly. He's played in lots of successful midfields for us and will again. Maybe this season even.

• Like 1

McLean has looked better at centre back than Gibson did before his injury. 

The midfield duo of Sara and Nuñez is working surprisingly well, despite my initial worries over a lack of physicality and defensive steel (although those concerns haven't been completely allayed).

I too fear that Gibson may come back into the side, which I don't think is the right thing to do whilst things are working. Wait for an injury or loss of form before putting Gibson back into the team.

• Like 3

McLean is a good midfielder at this level and considering the argument was based on his defensive ability, he's better than Nunez at that.

Our midfield shockingly looks better when you have a CB who can beat the press, pass out, turn the play and also drive into space. That doesn't mean Kenny can't play in midfield. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

McLean is a good midfielder at this level and considering the argument was based on his defensive ability, he's better than Nunez at that.

Our midfield shockingly looks better when you have a CB who can beat the press, pass out, turn the play and also drive into space. That doesn't mean Kenny can't play in midfield. 

There are several different ways to say our midfield is better without Kenny in it, and that our side is better without Kenny in midfield. If that's the one that the one you choose to use, then go for it.

I only hope the way Wagner sees it is sufficient enough for him to avoid blasting a massive gunshot wound in our team's foot by reverting to Gibson LCB and McLean CM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McLean not being in midfield has made that department better  ,with better midfielders in it who dont misplace so many passes.

I'm surprised how well he's played at the back and equally surprised that recent opposition havent tried to exploit it .

In the coming weeks when Gibson,Hanley and Sargent are all back, Wagner will have a big decision to make and a lot of it will centre around whether we continue in play his favoured 2 strikers or to play a third midfielder.

You 'd have to think that when fully fit , 2 of Hanley Duffy and Gibson will play at the back, Wagner will then either play all 3 of Sara Nunez and McLean ,or will drop ,probably Nunez to play Barnes or Hwang with Sargent, whuch would be a shame as it weakens our midfield.

Big calls for Wagner looming

It was obviously a hint to get Gibson in the January shop window, or we will be returning to the old formation.

It might be the latter if we get turned over easily by WBA and Southampton.

I imagine the reason Gibson was brought on was because Huddersfield's sub, the No. 27, was about 7ft tall, so Gibson made it slightly less of an aerial mismatch. It was a good substitution, and I didn't hear any negative reaction from where I was sitting in the Lower Barclay. 

Edited by Grando

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No but you cannot drop Nunez for Kenny. 💯 % you can’t.

1 minute ago, Grando said:

I imagine the reason Gibson was brought on was because Huddersfield's sub, the No. 27, was about 7ft tall, so Gibson made it slightly less of an aerial mismatch. It was a good substitution, and I didn't hear any negative reaction from where I was sitting in the Lower Barclay. 

But Duffy could have marked him as Huddersfield were playing with no one upfront prior to that.

As it happened the lanky long streak of **** was terrible so it didn't matter who we had back.

I've no issue with Gibson coming on though or the subs in general as we have a lot of games coming up.

52 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

McLean not being in midfield has made that department better  ,with better midfielders in it who dont misplace so many passes.

I'm surprised how well he's played at the back and equally surprised that recent opposition havent tried to exploit it .

In the coming weeks when Gibson,Hanley and Sargent are all back, Wagner will have a big decision to make and a lot of it will centre around whether we continue in play his favoured 2 strikers or to play a third midfielder.

You 'd have to think that when fully fit , 2 of Hanley Duffy and Gibson will play at the back, Wagner will then either play all 3 of Sara Nunez and McLean ,or will drop ,probably Nunez to play Barnes or Hwang with Sargent, whuch would be a shame as it weakens our midfield.

Big calls for Wagner looming

Oh dear! Why everyone seems to assume Hanley HAS to come back in the side pretty much immediately is amazing. He has played zero Championship football since April and will need several games to even begin to get real match fitness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Oh dear! Why everyone seems to assume Hanley HAS to come back in the side pretty much immediately is amazing. He has played zero Championship football since April and will need several games to even begin to get real match fitness.

Hence why I said 'when fully fit'

• Like 2

I would be very hesitant in moving Kenny back into midfield straight away after his recent performances at CB. However, if Gibson can get back match sharpness and build up his confidence, he could provide the left footed centre half option required with a midfield 3 of McLean, Sara and Nunez. I think this could work well against the more attacking teams (Southampton, Leeds etc) and may give Nunez/Sara more attacking roles. 

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Hence why I said 'when fully fit'

A fully fit Hanley next to Duffy, for me Clive.

Sara and Nunez look settled in midfield and we shouldn't change that. Likewise Kenny is the best ball playing  CB we have.

No need to change anything just to accommodate Gibson, or Hanley in defence, or in midfield, otherthan Barnes whose not doing much.

• Like 1

Same bellends booing Gibson were the ones booing Idah a few home games ago.

• Like 5

We have won and we are edging closer to a playoff place, mad as that seems. I am just happy with that atm going into Christmas. Our CB situation causes so much derision amongst fans simply because we ship so many goals and whatever combination we play they are all prone to error. Oh for a Watson/ Bruce combination. Personally I am quite impressed with KM at CB for now, the actual CBs are all much of a muchness, Hanley probably coming tops from a defensive perspective ( zero presence at set pieces).