dylanisabaddog

European Super League judgement day

EDIT

THE COURT HAS RULED THAT UEFA ACTED ILLEGALLY IN BANNING THE EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE 

Original post

Judgement is due today on the legality of the UEFA stranglehold on European club football. There are rumours that the latest plans for a super league involve up to 80 clubs. Could this include us? 

A huge day for football. 

There are now over 30 football clubs in England under control of American owners. Perhaps we'll find out why quite soon. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-super-league-new-a22sports-31687601

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european-super-league-verdict-live-news-uefa-b2467289.html

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in two minds, if you took the top 6/7 teams out of the prem it would vastly increase competition. However it would be sad to lose the biggest English clubs from the English league. It seems to me like the Premier league just needs to change its financial fair play systems to give smaller sides a chance to make it more competitive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’m in two minds, if you took the top 6/7 teams out of the prem it would vastly increase competition. However it would be sad to lose the biggest English clubs from the English league. It seems to me like the Premier league just needs to change its financial fair play systems to give smaller sides a chance to make it more competitive. 

I agree, but that has never been the proposal by the big clubs. The idea, including the latest one, has always been to replace the European Cup/Champions League for their own financial benefit while staying in the various domestic competitions.

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree, but that has never been the proposal by the big clubs. The idea, including the latest one, has always been to replace the European Cup/Champions League for their own financial benefit while staying in the various domestic competitions.

Quite so. They would probably get it through on a vote. The option open to the clubs not involved is to resign from the Premier League and join the Football League, leaving the ESL clubs to it. 

I still think it's a question of when not if. 

Thanks Dylan. This came under the radar for me, having been distracted by buying the sprouts. Was obvious the big boys would be back for more and expect that one way or another they'll eventually get their way, but didn't think it would be this quick. Hope the rest of football has contingency plans for various potential outcomes if the ruling goes against Eufa. 

58 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Quite so. They would probably get it through on a vote. The option open to the clubs not involved is to resign from the Premier League and join the Football League, leaving the ESL clubs to it. 

I still think it's a question of when not if. 

I don’t know what the legal arguments are, but going back decades and the Packer revolt, he won his case against the cricket authorities on the basis that they were restraining trade. That  they were attempting to  limit the right of workers to take whatever employment they chose.

In this case I can see the clubs arguing not just that Uefa has no right to tell workers (the players) how they are employed but also no right to tell the companies involved (which is what these clubs are) how they do their business.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 3

The clubs want to control the platforms that show the matches. This is where the money is . If a heavyweight boxing match can generate enough pay per view to provide a purse of $40m , imagine Barcelona v Man Utd on a regular basis. Potential global viewing figures is off the chart. 

Own the platform and you get the money. UEFA /Fifa/Prem all take far more of the viewing money than the clubs like. 

Eventually that will change. The US owners recognise the financial potential of these brands. 

US owners don’t like relegation much though ! 

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

There has to be a joke in there somewhere around the Super Clubs, Tilly's Bootiful Turkey pictures and voting at Christmas - but can't quite pin it down. Football is changing ever faster.

Edited by crispeduk

1 hour ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Totally agree but it's utopian stuff mate. Rich want to get richer.

We are beyond fixing, like that smoking blonde you met on a beach holiday back in 2005....

Let em go 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don’t know what the legal arguments are, but going back decades and the Packer revolt, he won his case against the cricket authorities on the basis that they were restraining trade. That  they were attempting to  limit the right of workers to take whatever employment they chose.

In this case I can see the clubs arguing not just that Uefa has no right to tell workers (the players) how they are employed but also no right to tell the companies involved (which is what these clubs are) how they do their business.

Whilst that is true the governing bodies do not have to let anyone join their competitions, otherwise things like stadium requirements wouldn't work. All competitions have rules and eligibility criteria, if they break them or don't meet them then they the competition organisers should be within their rights to exclude and/or sanction. The problem is uefa and the pl want the bug teams to leave less than the big clubs want to, this is heading the same way as the LIV/PGA conflict...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I’m in two minds, if you took the top 6/7 teams out of the prem it would vastly increase competition. 

It would make the Premier League a very poor league, with all the best players wanting a move to a European Super League club as soon as possible, where all the money would be. On the plus side it means we'd probably become a regular top tier side. 

I presume there would be no chance of 'promotion' to the European Super League.

If Celtic and Rangers also join this league then we might as well just roll up Scottish and English football and have:

British Premier League

British Championship

British League One North, Midlands, East, West, and South with one team from each promoted. 

The chance of getting Hibernian in the 'League Cup' would at least be interesting.

22 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

... like that smoking blonde you met on a beach holiday back in 2005....

Let em go 

I'm not sure of this is an analogy for the acceptance of change or if your neighbours occasionally wonder about the muffled noises coming from your basement ...

50 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Attanasio has just become part of the SGA consortium.

Parallels?

Parma 

Its inevitable that the biggest clubs will gain control of TV rights and take the cash for themselves. Maybe then football will become more competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The clubs want to control the platforms that show the matches. This is where the money is . If a heavyweight boxing match can generate enough pay per view to provide a purse of $40m , imagine Barcelona v Man Utd on a regular basis. Potential global viewing figures is off the chart. 

Own the platform and you get the money. UEFA /Fifa/Prem all take far more of the viewing money than the clubs like. 

Eventually that will change. The US owners recognise the financial potential of these brands. 

That underpins the power the' other club's' have. Leaving the PL to six or so clubs would makes it meaningless. The Champions League is pretty much a closed shop, featuring much the same 16 in the final stages year after year, and the same winners out of 8 clubs, at best.

Staging show games as above would quickly lose its appeal as they would not have any sense of competition, which at the moment has become a sham - see Scotland. The PL has about 12 clubs at any given time who are playing a form of Russian roulette - survival v eventual stagnation.

Oddly enough, this was what Kerry Packer was fighting against. Cricket being played as so many meaningless games. No promotion/relegation, stuck in a loop.

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Judgement is due today on the legality of the UEFA stranglehold on European club football. There are rumours that the latest plans for a super league involve up to 80 clubs. Could this include us? 

A huge day for football. 

There are now over 30 football clubs in England under control of American owners. Perhaps we'll find out why quite soon. 

We'd have to Ground Share 😒

21 minutes ago, Ernie Wise said:

Great news, tell the ‘so called elite clubs’ to do one and don’t come crawling back.

They don't want to leave their domestic leagues, they want more money by having a ESL as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

They don't want to leave their domestic leagues, they want more money by having a ESL as well.

Would they allow promotion and relegation to that league ? I doubt.

Tell them to fark off, they need us more than we need them.

34 minutes ago, Ernie Wise said:

Great news, tell the ‘so called elite clubs’ to do one and don’t come crawling back.

But this means the so called elite clubs can be in 2 'leagues' as UEFA/FIFA cannot ban them. 

It's inevitable there will be promotion and relegation as clubs like Chelsea may not qualify. It won't change anything.

Be careful what you wish for.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There are rumours that the latest plans for a super league involve up to 80 clubs. Could this include us? 

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Would they allow promotion and relegation to that league ? I doubt.

Tell them to fark off, they need us more than we need them.

The plan was to give some clubs elite status which would guarantee clubs like R Madrid, Barca, B Munich, Man U, Man City etc. a place in the ESL whilst giving limited promotion possibilities to other clubs.

It's a stitch up but they'll say that the 'elite' clubs deserve their places and that they are also making it competitive.

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The dream game for tv is a competitive game between Real Madrid and Manchester United. I read an article recently that suggested the total revenue from advertising and pay per view could top £1bn worldwide. 

I'd watch it smirking on a naughty box with no guilt whatsoever. 

FIFA and UEFA on the right side of history - but only for their own selfish reasons. There will be no stopping it now - but bye bye to the big, oil funded, clubs that have basically bought the game. We can have a more competitive top flight back.